Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2013, 08:00   #151
Team-BHP Support

Re: April 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Was at the sales thread once again. The main aspects of discussion seem to be Dzire Vs Amaze and the state of Tata/Mahindra.

Another point which I noticed is though Dzire sales seem almost flat MoM, Swift has fallen down. And now interestingly we see Dzire doing better than Swift. Of course Dzire also has the cab segment gunning for it. But clearly tells if there is a steady demand from a commercial sector, sales may be flat. But would be interesting statistics to see the % break between personal and commercial; and then a comparo of brands for commercial segment split. (viz. Dzire, Manza, Logan).
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:28   #152
BHPian

The newly elected Karnataka government seems to favor the local boys Toyota for their new car purchases for ministers. 22 Innovas and one Fortuner (for CM) have been purchased at the cost of 2.87CR. Perhaps this is reflected in March's numbers, I am not sure.

Read further at "http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/New-cars-for-Karnataka-ministers-come-at-Rs-2-87cr/articleshow/20218719.cms"
Old 23rd May 2013, 14:21   #153
BHPian

I know I am asking this weeks later. However, I do not see any numbers for E2O. Does anyone know how it is doing? Is it even selling?
Old 24th May 2013, 18:07   #154
BHPian

One thing that I found perplexing about GM and Toyota that even though their sale numbers aren't quite high, the delivery time of their car models across showrooms in India are unusually long. This is very surprising given the fact that the advertised production capacity of their factories are at least 10-fold higher than what they actually sell. So where is the problem? Compare this with MSIL, with such high numbers crunching their dealers often deliver lot sooner than had they been from another stable. I believe it shows how MSIL has mastered their inventory management which of course is the starting line of their runaway success.
Inquisitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2013, 23:20   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
I know I am asking this weeks later. However, I do not see any numbers for E2O. Does anyone know how it is doing? Is it even selling?
Well according to Autocar India June issue M&M have sold 75 units since it's launch.

I have attached a scan of the relevant section of ACI June issue below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
One thing that I found perplexing about GM and Toyota that even though their sale numbers aren't quite high, the delivery time of their car models across showrooms in India are unusually long.
Well I don't know what's the reason for GM but for Toyota there is no waiting practically for any model barring Fortuner 4x4, for which in South it is around one month. Recently they even cut production to better manage inventory which is reflected in the sales of the month of April.

When Toyota launched Fortuner initially there was long waiting periods because of huge demand and small production capacity, both of which got corrected. Production capacity was initially around 500 Fortuners every month, now it is around 1700/month (inclusive of all variants).

MSIL have always had huge waiting periods until now for various cars like Swift, Swift Dezire and Ertiga, which have come down not as a result of inventory management but sluggish growth of the auto industry. In certain cases MSIL has also increased their production capacity.
Attached Thumbnails
April 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-e2o.jpg  

Last edited by mroptimist : 25th May 2013 at 23:29. Reason: Added some clarifications
Old 25th May 2013, 23:37   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
The newly elected Karnataka government seems to favor the local boys Toyota for their new car purchases for ministers. 22 Innovas and one Fortuner (for CM) have been purchased at the cost of 2.87CR..
There's something amiss. A ToL Innova costs almost 18L OTR in Bangalore, for 22 cars, that itself should've cost ~4 CR + 28L for a Fortuner, how did they manage to buy it all for just 2.87CR!
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2013, 23:56   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
There's something amiss. A ToL Innova costs almost 18L OTR in Bangalore, for 22 cars, that itself should've cost ~4 CR + 28L for a Fortuner, how did they manage to buy it all for just 2.87CR!
After all it was reported on Times Of India.

Jokes apart, even if we believe the number given is correct there could be many reasons. They may not be top of the line Innovas or Karnataka Government doesn't have to pay state's road tax and even central excise duty or most probably the reporter just took the Ex-showroom price and multiplied it.

By the way even I have strictly very little idea about it. Perhaps somebody else who knows the functioning of state governments shed some more light.
Old 1st June 2013, 10:34   #158
BHPian

The slowdown in economy reflected in car sales. Maruti sales declined in May 13 as compared to Apr 13. Waiting anxiously to see how the other car companies fared in this month.
Old 1st June 2013, 11:36   #159
Senior - BHPian

The summers seem bad to the automakers, & as the hot weather peaks up North, the market leader Maruti-Suzuki has reported a 14.4% decrease in sales. Please refer below link to Indian Express report:

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/ma...n-may/1123663/

It seems that once the mainstay of its sales - Swift, Ritz & Estilo have managed 17,147 units this month, but Dzire is still going strong @ 17,265 units. It appears that bad brakes in Swift & the poor boot space have made many customers shift to Dzire (which is a positive for company's product planning & marketing strategy).

Small cars sales for M800, A-Star, Alto & WagonR managed a healthy number of 31,427 units, but, it is lower as compared to last month.

The company's dismal performance in the large car segment continues with 503 SX4s in the month (Apr-13 = 601); Kizashi @ NIL....

... & the performance in the UV segment is bothering with mere 4,307 units sold as compared to 5168 vehicles sold in Apr-13. The vans (Omni & Eeco) too reported decrease in sales @ 7,172 units as compared to 8.3K units in Apr-13.

I now have fear for another round of bad number from all, except Renault.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 1st June 2013 at 11:43.
Old 1st June 2013, 12:44   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
I now have fear for another round of bad number from all, except Renault.
And Honda.
The Amaze can be seen plying the roads quite often nowadays, which should reflect in the numbers for May. Looks to be a game changer for Honda India, going by the sheer spottings on the road in the very first month of its sales.
Old 1st June 2013, 12:46   #161
Senior - BHPian

Oh Yes... Thank You, how can I forget the Maruti-Suzuki model from Honda , which has similar waiting periods.
Old 1st June 2013, 13:54   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti declares its May sales figures.

Dzire 17265 ( Amaze seem no effect on Dzire sales)
SX4 503
Ertiga 4307
Omni, EEco 7172

Exports 6856

Cheers!
Old 1st June 2013, 14:14   #163
Senior - BHPian

Dzire largest selling car in May-13 for Maruti Suzuki, muncing up more numbers than what Alto could manage.

Link to Firstpost report on same:

http://www.firstpost.com/business/dz...nt-832819.html

Meanwhile, Hyundai Motors May-13 are up by 2.1% as per TOI report (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/20379212.cms).
Both domestic & export sales were higher for the Korean manufacturer in difficult times (Duster, Amaze & blazing Dzire).

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

It seems complacence has hit TKM the worst with a 35.33% decline (http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle4771936.ece) to 10,023 units. IMO they should concentrate on mainstream products rather than Etios Hybrid.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 1st June 2013 at 14:42.
Old 1st June 2013, 14:24   #164
BHPian

Whether or not Amaze has any effect on Dzire sales probably will only be sensed from July onwards. I suppose these Dzire sales volumes were coming from vehicles booked in March-April when Amaze was not there. Secondly buyers booking Dzire in this period probably did not want to extend their waiting period by booking Amaze.
Old 1st June 2013, 15:07   #165
Senior - BHPian

M&M have reported a decline of 1.2% decrease in May-13 sales over its numbers a year ago. Refer below link for more details:

http://zeenews.india.com/business/au...1-2_77230.html

Quote:
Total sales of passenger vehicles, including Scorpio, XUV500, Xylo, Bolero & Verito, stood at 22,244 units as against 21,154 units in May 2012, up 5.15%.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________

Renault has reported increase in sales by 13 times over last year, courtesy the Duster, of which it sold 5146 units. Scala managed 670 units, Pulse managed 410 units, 71 Fluences were sold & Koleos SUV found 3 buyers in May-13. Refer below link for ET report:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/20380966.cms

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________

GM has also reported increase in sales (by ~ 40%) in May-13 to 8500 units as compared to little over 6K in May-12. The sales include 1,506 units of Beat, 2,851 units of Sail, 2,177 units of Enjoy & 1,475 units of Tavera. Refer below link for ET report:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/20380911.cms

Last edited by CARDEEP : 1st June 2013 at 15:34.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks