Team-BHP - April 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   April 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/136061-april-2013-indian-car-sales-figures-analysis-2.html)

Nice Analysis. Most awaited thread for me in the entire month. Looks like Except Maruti every one had a steep fall.

Toyota's story is a news. Never saw this kind of fall till for T badge till date. It appears Toyota has been pushing inventories big time to their dealers in past few month. Just saw the News that toyota has the highest inventories of more than 6 weeks at dealers (highest in the industry). Its quite evident they had pushed lot more cars to dealers in march month due to either FY closing or Liva Facelift.

Quote:

Originally Posted by parrys (Post 3115240)
1: GTO is away for the official review of what might just be the launch of the year, the community can do the analysis this month.

So which car is this ... Ecosport is my guess!!!

Wonder what is the effect of overall decline in sales of ever possible model in every section. This surely is pointing towards a slowdown in the industry.

Maruti seems to have lost quite a bit of ground with the Swift and Alto volumes while Dzire and Wagon R have stood ground. Wonder if fatigue factor has finally hit the Swift or if they diverted their attention to the Dzire.

Hyundai has stood its ground in most of its models selling very close to last months numbers and even marginally improving with Santro and Verna sales.

The other cars that have some upswing have been Indica+Vista and the Sail Sedan while Toyota seem to have a bad month across its lineup say the Etios to the Innova.

Some cheer in the Honda stable with Amaze clocking good numbers and the Enjoy MPV shipping to the dealers though we have not see it launched formally across.

Though Skoda holds on to the Rapid and Renault to the Duster numbers its down hill other wise. Wonder what is Fiat doing with all its Caffes and exclusive outlets with the same level of sales as before!

:Shockked: Only in Kerala (Trivandrum & Cochin mainly) out in the roads that I see Fiat Punto & Linea out numbering Hyundai i20 and Verna's....
No logical situation is backing on the same, probably we keralites like a bit of uniqueness to the extend that everyone purchases unique cars....

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaBravo
but such low Brio figure.

The Brio might be a capable car, but for some reason it has not found favour with the market, atleast down south. Very few seen on the roads in Chennai and Kerala. Also, in our office parking of 200+ cars, there is just 1 Brio and that too is a recent entrant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan
I think Honda is severely limited by their monthly production capacity of roughly 10,000 cars per month.

True. Inspite of having an in-demand product, they can't capitalise on the demand due to production constraints. And till the time they are constrained by this, the competition (esp. Dzire) can breathe easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 3115358)
I think Honda is severely limited by their monthly production capacity of roughly 10,000 cars per month. It's a toss up between models when it comes to what they should be producing.

I differ to agree here. If we see total sales done by Honda is less than 8500 units. That means they don't even have the capacity of that? Also i guess they must be having sufficient ready stock of City & Brio as well as they are not doing that great for last few months. Looks like they have problem with Amaze spare parts supply. Suppliers are not making sufficient supply i guess, that's why production of Amaze is going slow. If Honda don't improve delivery period, they will suffer a lot. Not many people like to wait 4-6 months for their new car. Maruti must be smiling at this :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by supremeBaleno (Post 3115385)
True. Inspite of having an in-demand product, they can't capitalise on the demand due to production constraints. And till the time they are constrained by this, the competition (esp. Dzire) can breathe easy.

Cant understand why if Honda had a capacity of 10K and they still sold 8500 cars only despite sales and regular production of Amaze started in March month itself (they shipped 2000+ Amazes in march 13). Can someone throw light pls.

Also, In ideal circumstances if some manufacturer is constrained with capacity they run Extra Shifts for 110%-115% capacity utilization of Rated Capacity (IMO Capacity is rated at 5 day 3 shift =15 shift basis which can be extended to 6 days 3 shift + sunday 2 shift basis=20 shifts). Given Honda has this capacity constraint issue known for some time, they would have surely considered these extra shifts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 3115365)
Amaze figures should go up further in the next month.

Not quite sure by how many more hundreds they can improve considering their limitation on their assembly lines.

Surprising is that DZire has actually kept itself up there but early days. With the functioning of RJ plant it would be interesting to see the much anticipated battle between DZire & Amaze.

XUV seems to be hit hard by the Union Budget and unless they give some discounts they will be hard to move off the shelf.

The sales of Amaze being doubled and that of Dzire selling almost equivalent to Alto clearly shows that the Indian market is pretending towards the C1 segment.

Amaze is trying to neutralize on Honda's sales, by killing their own Brio and City.

Surprisingly, Polo sells more in Petrol then its Diesel counterpart.

All the advertisements is not doing any good to Fiat's sales. Looks like the number of showrooms will soon overtake the number of cars sold.:Shockked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aniketi (Post 3115394)
I differ to agree here. If we see total sales done by Honda is less than 8500 units. That means they don't even have the capacity of that?

Well right now we are speculating.

If Honda had a capacity of 10,000 cars and the Brio / City etc weren't really selling, surely they'd use that additional capacity for the Amaze. But that hasn't happened -- which leads me to believe that there's definitely some production restraints in play here.

You can also see that they did pump up the Brio production and stockpile it a bit in March. April made way for the Amaze.

That's my guess :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by anu21v (Post 3115395)
Cant understand why if Honda had a capacity of 10K and they still sold 8000 cars only despite sales and regular production of Amaze started in March month itself

Not sure how they calculated the 10k / mo production number, but there could be other variables affecting it. Also note that these numbers aren't actually "sales" figures, but more like production numbers / number of cars rolling out of the factory.

cya
R

On the fuel story front, what saddened me to the see the diesel/petrol split on the Laura 125 to 1.

For the Toyota numbers, since these wholesale numbers. it could be possible that they have stepped by capacity in March, dispatched more cars and had a downtime at the start of the FY. The averages add up to their normal levels though.

whats wrong with Innova sales, Toyota do have a problem in their hands with the inventories and all
IMO the Amaze will not be able to oust the Swift Dzire from its perch anytime
its heartening to note that the Indica twins are doing good numbers but the Manza numbers are shocking

Quote:

Originally Posted by knightrider_25 (Post 3115384)
:Shockked: Only in Kerala (Trivandrum & Cochin mainly) out in the roads that I see Fiat Punto & Linea out numbering Hyundai i20 and Verna's....
No logical situation is backing on the same, probably we keralites like a bit of uniqueness to the extend that everyone purchases unique cars....

How true. I am not a Keralite but presently based at Trivandrum and I too bought Linea T-Jet which I had never even considered before coming to Kerala! It is really amazing to see so many Fiat Punto & Lineas in Kerala.

My observations:

1. Duster on a roll! New king of the C2 segment!

2. XUV5OO in a freefall! Has been falling since last 7 months straight. This month it clocked the lowest numbers over last 12 months! Mahindras need to wake up and smell the coffee. The days of the 'lottery' are gone. How about pampering the existing owners so that they spread a good word about the product and service? :D

3. Aria in single digits. Time to shut-off the assembly line and handcraft & sign each piece!

4. Finally after 6 months Fiat beat HM-Mitsubishi in monthly sales! Tortoise race, bring it on! :D

Thanks for the much awaited thread and as usual very nice work done. Few observations are -

1. First time I am seeing the numbers of Enjoy. I hope these are all dealer shipments.
2. It seems the face lift does not help Liva much.
3. A very good show by Honda Amaze.