Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2013, 09:35   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: April 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

I think XUV's freefall can be attributed to the rise in Rexton's sales? When you have 15 lakhs in your pocket, you can certainly shell out 2-3 lakh more and get a Rexton. If I was in the market with that budget, I would have precisely done this. I get a bigger "richer" image with the Rexton.
Old 8th May 2013, 09:49   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
once a car is invoiced to the dealer, the transaction is over.
Thanks. That clarifies something for me. So, how long does it take for that demand-supply thing to settle down to normal ? 6 months - 1 year is probably a good indication? e.g., Duster's sales you would say are now "normal" ? and VW is now back to normal after peak last month.
Old 8th May 2013, 09:55   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I think XUV's freefall can be attributed to the rise in Rexton's sales? When you have 15 lakhs in your pocket, you can certainly shell out 2-3 lakh more and get a Rexton. If I was in the market with that budget, I would have precisely done this. I get a bigger "richer" image with the Rexton.
For 3 lacs more, you migrate from the top end XUV to the base Rexton.
Also, as the both of them qualify as SUVs in the recent budget are eligible for the extra 3% duty. So the gap widens more. No sense in anyone going for an unproven SUV when they can just close their eyes and go get a Fortuner.
Also, please check that the sales of XUV are down by 1000 numbers whereas those numbers are not added anywhere into Rexton or for that matter even in Innova!
The market is down for the big "high ground clearance, more parking space occupants and diesel guzzlers".
Old 8th May 2013, 10:16   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
For 3 lacs more, you migrate from the top end XUV to the base Rexton.
Also, as the both of them qualify as SUVs in the recent budget are eligible for the extra 3% duty. So the gap widens more. No sense in anyone going for an unproven SUV when they can just close their eyes and go get a Fortuner.
Also, please check that the sales of XUV are down by 1000 numbers whereas those numbers are not added anywhere into Rexton or for that matter even in Innova!
The market is down for the big "high ground clearance, more parking space occupants and diesel guzzlers".
True. But it's one level up as compared to the other cars. To an untrained eye, it's just XUV v/s Rexton and not Top end XUV v/s base Rexton. However, I completely agree with you that the market is bad for these high Ground clearance vehicle due to the additional duty that the govt is imposing.
Old 8th May 2013, 10:23   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit View Post
Yes Fiats are exclusive atleast in India
But jokes apart, lets compare punto sales to some of its rivals and not comparing linea here bcoz very few want to invest in a big car from a brand which doesnt have a snob value and also result in less residual value. Moreover its small engine compared to the competition doeant help either

So wats the big deal why defame fiat especially when fiat has a hugely negative perception vs other established brands

Cheers
I agree with Namit's analysis here.

Looking at Diesel v/s Petrol car break-up we see in most cases it is 80-20 split (on a very pessimistic scale) and extrapolating the same to Maruti Suzuki vehicles since their split is not given. So out of total 1,99,496 vehicles sold in April about 1,50,000 are diesels and out of which about 1,10,000 to 1,20,000 are FIAT engines.

So what basically that tells me is biggies like Maruti Suzuki , Tata , Chevrolets are surviving because of FIAT here. Since it is the same servicing experience and interiors for a diesel and petrol car, differentiating factor being the engine only.
Old 8th May 2013, 10:44   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
So what basically that tells me is biggies like Maruti Suzuki , Tata , Chevrolets are surviving because of FIAT here.
Or maybe opposite, Fiat is surviving becasue the other established brands are using their engines and helping them making profits?
Old 8th May 2013, 10:52   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Yes, Ecosport would be the next happening and going by current indications the price will be quite right with a very high VFM factor. Though smaller than the Duster, Ecosport is equal in passenger capacity and ride comfort with handling a tad better. So too the safety & security with the Emergency Assist, as seen from various reports. .
See excepts from Autocar India review.
I was about to say the same thing. In recent times the life of a brand shortening very fast. Though there are some exceptions. In my opinion these products have are either undergone or expected to undergo this phase.

1. Mahindra XUV500
2. Maruti Suzuki Ertiga
3. Renault Duster
4. Honda Amaze
5. Ford EcoSport

And there evergreen performers like Suzuki Swift Duo and Alto.
Old 8th May 2013, 11:02   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
I agree with Namit's analysis here.

Looking at Diesel v/s Petrol car break-up we see in most cases it is 80-20 split (on a very pessimistic scale) and extrapolating the same to Maruti Suzuki vehicles since their split is not given. So out of total 1,99,496 vehicles sold in April about 1,50,000 are diesels and out of which about 1,10,000 to 1,20,000 are FIAT engines.

So what basically that tells me is biggies like Maruti Suzuki , Tata , Chevrolets are surviving because of FIAT here. Since it is the same servicing experience and interiors for a diesel and petrol car, differentiating factor being the engine only.
How you calculated the figure of 150,000 are diesels? Many top selling cars like Alto, Wagon R, i10, Eon, Omni, Santro, Eeco etc are Petrol only cars. Also Marutis top selling cars Swift & Dzire sells many petrol cars as well. I guess it must be around 25%. So i guess your calculation is not quite right. Also companies like Mahindra, Toyota, Hyundai, Renault etc are not using any Fiat engines. So saying 110,000 or 120,000 are Fiat engines only is also not true. Fiat engine is gem of a engine, no doubt about that but point of discussion is not that. We are talking about Fiat cars here.
Old 8th May 2013, 11:07   #84
Senior - BHPian

The Amaze is doing exactly what i think most of us predicted and i am sure Honda is pretty happy to have those kind of numbers back with them. Glad to see the Laura recover and move back above the 100 milestone and fairly certain that the discounts would have helped this movement.

SAIL Sedan stands consistent , i was expecting a bit of a blow thanks to the Amaze being out - will need to wait for next month to see if that happens, personally would be a bit surprised if there is no impact and the Amaze does not eat a bit into those sales. But at the same time the cash cow - the BEAT , takes a significant dip

Fiat unfortunately just not moving numbers , they better get their products and marketing right for all the launches in June.
Old 8th May 2013, 11:33   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
SAIL Sedan stands consistent
I have to say Sail is performing better than what I expected. It is not a sub 4 m car. And hence it is a loosing proposition when compared to cars like Dzire and Amaze. Even it does not take the advantage of being 4+m long by providing a larger cc engine. The cars it can compete against is Etios but then again it does not have the T badge or the 1.5L petrol engine. Even then it is neck and neck with the Etios. It will be very commendable if they can continue it in the long run.
However, I believe if they could make it a sub 4m car, They could have priced it around 50K lower. Imagine what kind of a value proposition would that be. I bet the sales chart would see numbers beyond 6K.
Old 8th May 2013, 11:35   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
True. But it's one level up as compared to the other cars. To an untrained eye, it's just XUV v/s Rexton and not Top end XUV v/s base Rexton.
Agreed. But to an untrained eye, the owner will find it difficult to convince that he has bought a premium SUV whereas XUV is a much widely known phenomenon due to its shock pricing as well as great marketing. Hence a Rexton will not generate the "richer" image you are talking about
Old 8th May 2013, 11:54   #87
Senior - BHPian

Is there no real competition to The Omni and The Santro?

Every time I see the Santro on that chart, I re-think my decision of giving mine up for sale. It's a complete VFM car, no doubt about that, but why aren't the competitors coming up with something, if not better, similar.

The Omni too is a fantastic package for the price it's offered at. No one till date has come close to matching its utility powers - unless of course, one from Maruti's own stable, its bigger brother, The Eeco!

Will there never be competition to these legends?
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 12:15   #88
Senior - BHPian

I am having a feeling Duster is one of important vehicles having such huge Diesel Petrol Divide.

I am wondering why does Renault take the effort to make Petrol Dusters
April 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-dust.jpg
Old 8th May 2013, 12:23   #89
BHPian

Really surprised to see the dip in sales for Toyota ! (not really actually, blame the ugly interiors of Liva).

Set back for Swift is also surprising (can't really blame the sluggish market, look at the sales of Dzire !

Tata, no comments !!
Old 8th May 2013, 12:38   #90
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
Thanks. That clarifies something for me. So, how long does it take for that demand-supply thing to settle down to normal ? 6 months - 1 year is probably a good indication? e.g., Duster's sales you would say are now "normal" ? and VW is now back to normal after peak last month.
I am with you on the 6 months to a year timeline.

There would always be a few "outliers". e.g. in the month of Dec, the picture gets skewed because of "people wanting to buy vehicles with current year VINs" factor and in March, the picture again get distorted because of "year-end depreciation benefits" angle.

So quite a few times, looking at averages and not month-wise numbers makes sense. Month-wise numbers do help in understanding trends.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks