Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2013, 22:28   #106
BHPian

Re: April 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Finally I see a decline in Innova sales. I had written this earlier also, repeating it again. I never understood why the Innova needs to sell this much for the price at which they are selling.

I had been to the Toyota Showroom to look at the Innova before I booked the Duster. The Price of the top-end model was just over 18 lacs for the top end model. That was simply too much for a car almost a generation (or should we say 2 generations) old. Yes I agree on the legendary toyota reliability and cheap maintenance and all. But I think 18 L is a bit too much for a vehicle that is almost 8 years old now. Something around 15-16 lac is what Toyota can ask for the Brand/Reliability/features that they are providing etc. But it is just Indians who have the herd mentality and go and buy such things in the market. Look at me even, I went and bought a duster 85PS (O) for 13.75 lakhs OTR Bangalore (By the way the price was increased by 20K for the model by Renault on May 2nd ). For what it is, I don't think this vehicle ought to be priced more that 12 lakhs in Bangalore for what they offer.

Overall my feeling is that every car that is sold in the Indian market is jacked up in price to the tune of at least 10-15%.

Last edited by shabash : 9th May 2013 at 22:30. Reason: Added some more points
Old 10th May 2013, 08:30   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
I went and bought a duster 85PS (O) for 13.75 lakhs OTR Bangalore (By the way the price was increased by 20K for the model by Renault on May 2nd ). For what it is, I don't think this vehicle ought to be priced more that 12 lakhs in Bangalore for what they offer.

Overall my feeling is that every car that is sold in the Indian market is jacked up in price to the tune of at least 10-15%.
You are right. Just to get the safety features, you have to pay 2 lac more than a similar vehicle (i mean a sedan).

I am not agreeing with the word "every car". But I agree that duster is priced 1-2 lac more than the right price. I am not finding that car 13.75 lac worth. If i am adding 1.5 lacs more, I will get a XUV 5OO W6.
Old 10th May 2013, 08:43   #108
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by julyone_modi View Post
I am keen to know whats happening with XUV500?? A class topper slowly and steadily loosing his marks?? Wonder how big daddy will sign his report card!!!
May be this could help:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3115803
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 10:09   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally I see a decline in Innova sales. I had written this earlier also, repeating it again. I never understood why the Innova needs to sell this much for the price at which they are selling.

ABSOLUTELY TRUE. Except for TATA & Chevy, I find ALL other companies have just kept the prices over-inflated. IMHO there is NO slump in the market, its just that companies haven't given us decent products at good prices. Any product that seems even a tiny bit successful, the prices are jacked up by the kilo.

Honestly, 18L for an Innova! Given ~50K more and one can literally buy 2 TOP End 'Club Class' Manza's at that price.

Given the launch of Chevrolet Enjoy, I'm sure the price & mileage sensitive 'Taxi market' is going to hug this car tight. It's more spacious than the Ertiga (as roomy as the Innova), adequately powered by the very reliable National Diesel Engine, at HALF the price, with a claimed mileage 1.5 times than claimed by Innova.

Sorry, I'm not ridiculing your purchase because Duster is a completely different vehicle, but still on a layman's assessment, 13.75L for an 85PS Duster! Another 50K and 2 Vista D90's were on on the deck!
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 17:31   #110
Senior - BHPian

I heard that Honda has received around 20K bookings for the Amaze till now. Delivery period has gone to 4-6 months for diesel according to the model. 20K is a good number for sure but not that great IMO considering all the hype created by Honda & all the people. 20K is just Maruti Dzire's monthly sale. I guess people are used to and started liking the new Dzire's looks. That is the reason it is doing such a strong sales continuously. Actually from some angles it looks cool. So i guess its hard to beat Dzire's market. With Honda's arrogance, slow production rate i don't think they will be able to prove serious threat. Lets see how it goes.
aniketi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 21:06   #111
BHPian

I don't see dzire or any other model getting hit immediately due to amaze. Dzire is still clearing waiting periods. In just few months from now, amaze will easily overtake most of its competitors after market gets to see and feel the Honda quality. Let's give a fair chance to amaze.
Old 10th May 2013, 21:48   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
I don't see dzire or any other model getting hit immediately due to amaze. Dzire is still clearing waiting periods. In just few months from now, amaze will easily overtake most of its competitors after market gets to see and feel the Honda quality. Let's give a fair chance to amaze.
If people want to see and feel Honda quality, they are better off buying City and upwards models. There isnt a world of a difference between Dzire and Amaze IMO
400notout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 22:52   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Innova and Fortuner Sales are significantly down. There are some keep being informed that the Fortuner has a wait list - seems artificially created. Toyota is in bad shape or had a round of maintenance.
I guess the big dip in most of the SUV/ MUV sales in April can be attributed to the budget effect. Anticipating a hike in April, most of the buyers bought the cars in March and hence the drastic dip in April. Same logic could apply for other car segments too but SUV's / MUV's were the most affected.
Old 11th May 2013, 09:31   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badri View Post
I guess the big dip in most of the SUV/ MUV sales in April can be attributed to the budget effect.
Yeah very valid reasons.

But some how I feel Toyota is yet to utilize their real strength in the World of Automobiles. Let us wait and see.
Old 11th May 2013, 13:22   #115
BHPian

Now the difference in petrol and diesel prices narrowing, I do not think manufacturers charging north of 1L more for diesel versions will make the expected profit. Now with a sluggish market how far much they can jack up the price of petrol or reduce that of diesel cars remains to be seen. It will be also interesting for Honda. While the diesel Amaze is a beauty, its petrol sibling is downright unDZIRable. It will be interesting to see how that fight pans out-is it diesel Amaze and petrol Dzire going to be winners? Mind you a lots of urban folks dont drive 2K kms a month and for them buying diesel is not an intelligent option.
Old 11th May 2013, 14:14   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Sorry, I'm not ridiculing your purchase because Duster is a completely different vehicle, but still on a layman's assessment, 13.75L for an 85PS Duster! Another 50K and 2 Vista D90's were on on the deck!
I understand mate. I also went ahead and bought it even after knowing that the price is way too much for what is being given ? I think only healthy competition can bring these prices down. I hope that happens in the coming 2-3 years time. With the sales now declining I think car companies will start giving more value for the same money or start reducing prices to woo buyers, I am hoping for the latter to happen.
shabash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2013, 14:26   #117
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
... I think only healthy competition can bring these prices down. I hope that happens in the coming 2-3 years time. With the sales now declining I think car companies will start giving more value for the same money or start reducing prices to woo buyers, I am hoping for the latter to happen.
I doubt prices would come down. If the price is reduced by a manufacturer, the existing customers feel cheated. Yes, there are indirect ways like the way Ford gives discounts throughout the year. But, in general, not a good strategy.

Giving more value by way of better specs and features is definitely welcome.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2013, 14:36   #118
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
ABSOLUTELY TRUE. Except for TATA & Chevy, I find ALL other companies have just kept the prices over-inflated. Any product that seems even a tiny bit successful, the prices are jacked up by the kilo.

Honestly, 18L for an Innova! Given ~50K more and one can literally buy 2 TOP End 'Club Class' Manza's at that price.

Given the launch of Chevrolet Enjoy, I'm sure the price & mileage sensitive 'Taxi market' is going to hug this car tight. It's more spacious than the Ertiga (as roomy as the Innova), adequately powered by the very reliable National Diesel Engine, at HALF the price, with a claimed mileage 1.5 times than claimed by Innova.

Agree overall to the idea but nope the Enjoy is not really as roomy as the Innova though definitely more spacious than the Ertiga. That said the Innova is indeed overpriced no doubt about that.

On the same note. A 3.0 Ltr 27L Fortuner seems good value compared to the 3.5L Merc GL at 1 Crs. But we can't really see it that way. Duster too is currently getting overpriced and yet 2 D90's don't work out for the same value proposition.

Yes do get your point and yet the market does price itself purely on demand and brand perception.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2013, 22:55   #119
BANNED

What is this production constraint of Honda which people keep talking about? Has the Govt set some upper limit on the number of Hondas which can be produced in India every month? Is there a fine once they cross that limit?
Old 11th May 2013, 23:21   #120
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What is this production constraint of Honda which people keep talking about? Has the Govt set some upper limit on the number of Hondas which can be produced in India every month? Is there a fine once they cross that limit?
Its actually the physical capacity of their manufacturing and assembly plant.

So unless they setup a new facility, they are stuck with the production constraint.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks