Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2013, 23:52   #121
BANNED

Re: April 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Its actually the physical capacity of their manufacturing and assembly plant.

So unless they setup a new facility, they are stuck with the production constraint.
So I guess the constraint is that they aren't being allowed to setup new facilities. Or is it that they have incompetent management who don't plan for these things unlike other car companies. Or they don't think they are likely to sell more than 10,000 cars a month.

Also since they sold only 8500 cars, may be the management is smart not to setup more facilities.
Old 12th May 2013, 00:02   #122
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
So I guess the constraint is that they aren't being allowed to setup new facilities. Or is it that they have incompetent management who don't plan for these things unlike other car companies. Or they don't think they are likely to sell more than 10,000 cars a month.

Also since they sold only 8500 cars, may be the management is smart not to setup more facilities.
These things take time..especially in a "red-tape" country like India.

Apparently they are already working on the next plant in Rajasthan and it would start rolling out complete cars from 2014. So that's what they mean when they say, in 2013, they would have a production constraint.

More details: http://profit.ndtv.com/news/industri...ctivity-320334

Last edited by SDP : 12th May 2013 at 00:03.
Old 12th May 2013, 00:14   #123
BHPian

http://m.thehindubusinessline.com/co...le4623202.ece/

The new plant will open next year according to this article.

The amaze has been allotted 5000 production units per month. Honda had announced AGGRESSIVE PLANS to sell over 50000 amaze units in the first year. Recently read that the amaze has crossed 22000 bookings already.
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2013, 12:59   #124
Senior - BHPian

Wonder why the Venture struggles to sell in 3 digits when the petrol powered Eeco sells nearly 4000 units every month!
Old 12th May 2013, 15:11   #125
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Wonder why the Venture struggles to sell in 3 digits when the petrol powered Eeco sells nearly 4000 units every month!
Two reasons I can think of:
1. Maruti-Suzuki v/s Tata Motors. No prizes for guessing which company the customers trust more.
2. If I remember correctly, Tatas sell Venture ONLY in the commercial sector whereas Eeco is available for personal buyers as well.
Old 12th May 2013, 15:17   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. If I remember correctly, Tatas sell Venture ONLY in the commercial sector whereas Eeco is available for personal buyers as well.
Not entirely true - Tata might be concentrating their sales effort of the Venture on commercial operators, but there are 3 Ventures in the area where I live, which are privately registered.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2013, 17:43   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Two reasons I can think of:
1. Maruti-Suzuki v/s Tata Motors. No prizes for guessing which company the customers trust more.
I was thinking of pt 1 myself, just wanted to know if there is any other reason. Now this is a serious issue for TML. I am seriously think whether I am being smart to even consider buying the Storme!
Old 12th May 2013, 22:01   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
In just few months from now, amaze will easily overtake most of its competitors after market gets to see and feel the Honda quality. Let's give a fair chance to amaze.
Dzire is established product & sells close to 20K per month. Honda has not even planned half that capacity for Amaze. So Amaze can never do 20K numbers.

Moreover, for instance Maruti has around 35 showrooms all over Karnataka. While Honda has just 10 showrooms in select location (7 in Bangalore itself). So Maruti is more reachable than Honda. This is just showrooms, but when it comes to service network, there is no comparison.

While Amaze will give numbers to Honda, it won't affect Dzire.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 11:44   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
While Amaze will give numbers to Honda, it won't affect Dzire.
I agree with you on this. Amaze can give some numbers to Honda but i don't think it will affect Dzire in big way. Surely other cars like Etios, Verito, i20 etc will get affected.

By the way, just yesterday i visited Honda Show room to check Amaze. Below are my observations -
1 First impression. Though its a sedan, it looks small in person.
2 Not at all head turner, just other car in the market.
3 Interiors looks outdated in new car. Honda missed the trick here. Many people will go away just by seeing the interiors. Base variant looks more pathetic in this department without Audio.
4 Space inside is good but i felt car on lower side. Elderly people will feel in/out difficult in the car.
5 Some how i feel that finishing is not up to the mark as in their other cars. Honda City standing near was looking absolutely smashing.
6 Honda arrogance. Car has just launched & they have increased the prices already. They are offering extended warranty & something as compulsory. No option. OTR prices are up by 10-15 K. Absolutely Rubbish ....
7 Top end Diesel variant is at par with Honda City Base variants. I will never by Amaze if i get Honda City at the similar price. Now Diesel Vs Petrol price difference is narrowing down. City looks proper big sedan, smashing & very sporty. Amaze no where near that.
8 Base variant looks build to cost (Read poor) in base variant which don't even have wheel caps. Come on Honda, you can give that in that price definitely. Don't go Tata way.
9 No test drive was offered.

Over all i will say i am not AMAZED at all. Much more was DEZIRED

Last edited by aniketi : 13th May 2013 at 11:48.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 13:10   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post

1 First impression. Though its a sedan, it looks small in person.
Isn't that a good thing? It's much more spacious than competition on the inside and yet looks and feels very small to drive. I think that's one of Honda's key USPs too for the Amaze.

[/quote]2 Not at all head turner, [/quote].
Really? You are the first person to have said that ! Everybody including all the reviews across all channels have loved how the amaze looks v/s competition.

[/quote] 3 Interiors looks outdated in new car. Honda missed the trick here. Many people will go away just by seeing the interiors. Base variant looks more pathetic in this department without Audio.[/quote].
Agree with you on this. Honda could've done better with the interiors.

[/quote]4 Space inside is good but i felt car on lower side. Elderly people will feel in/out difficult in the car.[/quote]. I thought lower cars were better for older people to get in and out of ? Confused :S

[quote]6 Honda arrogance. Car has just launched & they have increased the prices already. They are offering extended warranty & something as compulsory. No option. OTR prices are up by 10-15 K. Absolutely Rubbish ....[quote]
I think that has more to do with the dealer not the company. You should write an email to the company or try another dealer, this could be easily avoided. Some dealers really misuse their positions.

Overall cosmetically, Suzuki will always give you a lot more for your buck compared to competition, in any segment. Compare swift with micra, etios liva.

Compare dzire with etios and amaze. But I think honda and toyota offer really really high quality and low maintainence cars overall. Suzuki cars are not so easy on the mind and pocket.

I've had a swift and brio since 18-19 months now. Swift gearbox broke down once. Side mirror automatic motor has gone bust. One door handle has stopped working. 2 doors have been replaced because of faulty power window mechanism/other problems.

Brio - 2 services at 10000km and 20000km. That's all.

The swift and dzire are amazing cars (performance wise and VFM). But high maintanence has left a bad taste with me.
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 13:17   #131
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
I've had a swift and brio since 18-19 months now. Swift gearbox broke down once. Side mirror automatic motor has gone bust. One door handle has stopped working. 2 doors have been replaced because of faulty power window mechanism/other problems.
Hmm. I have a Swift which is 5 years old - its close to 70000 kms now. I replaced the clutch after around 65000 kms, I think. The stock tyres were replaced after 45000 kms. I can't think of anything else which needed to be replaced (other than stuff replaced during planned maintenance and stuff which broke because of my fault). Currently, I hear a noise sometimes for the last couple of months - which I will get checked during the next service. I also installed CNG in it couple of years back.

Overall, my swift has been great both on my mind and my wallet. If I have to buy another car, it almost surely will be a maruti.
Old 13th May 2013, 13:43   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

Hmm. I have a Swift which is 5 years old - its close to 70000 kms now. I replaced the clutch after around 65000 kms, I think. The stock tyres were replaced after 45000 kms. I can't think of anything else which needed to be replaced (other than stuff replaced during planned maintenance and stuff which broke because of my fault). Currently, I hear a noise sometimes for the last couple of months - which I will get checked during the next service. I also installed CNG in it couple of years back.

Overall, my swift has been great both on my mind and my wallet. If I have to buy another car, it almost surely will be a maruti.
Could be my case in particular. I have always heard Maruti is reliable but my experience has been BAD.
The car has done 29000 km in 18 months. All in the city. Goes for regular service and maintainence to the dealer. The surprising thing is all the faults have come in the non wear and tear departments. For example the gearbox got stuck in 5th gear while I was driving to Chandigarh. The gear just wouldn't come out. Finally they had to replace the whole thing. Dealer asked me to cough up Rs. 15,500. Finally replaced it under warranty after a lot of firefighting.

Now 1 door handle has stopped working. The side view mirror motor (passenger side) has stopped working. Very weird. Other than that car has run superbly.

I have a 1998 Honda city (1,60,000 km). never ever faced any such issues in my 14 years of ownership. Only last year the ODO stopped working.

Have never ever faced such problems with any of my other cars as well.
Old 13th May 2013, 13:44   #133
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I agree with you on this. Amaze can give some numbers to Honda but i don't think it will affect Dzire in big way. Surely other cars like Etios, Verito, i20 etc will get affected.

6 Honda arrogance. Car has just launched & they have increased the prices already. They are offering extended warranty & something as compulsory. No option. OTR prices are up by 10-15 K. Absolutely Rubbish ....
7 Top end Diesel variant is at par with Honda City Base variants. I will never by Amaze if i get Honda City at the similar price. Now Diesel Vs Petrol price difference is narrowing down. City looks proper big sedan, smashing & very sporty. Amaze no where near that.
8 Base variant looks build to cost (Read poor) in base variant which don't even have wheel caps. Come on Honda, you can give that in that price definitely. Don't go Tata way.
Actually the Amaze will affect the Dzire but due to the production capacity limitation not too much also the other vehicle that you mention too will be affected. Honda appeals to those who want reliability and good service just like a Suzuki but in a grander manner as in India it also provides a premium brand image (relative to Suzuki)

While it is able to sell as many units as permitted by it's production capacity it may as well price it higher. Actually MS too has been going the same with the Swift and Dzire, there is no other reason for the Swift to cost almost 20% more than an equivalent model Ritz. You rake in as much profits as you can without making customer go away.

TATA on the other hand tends to give much more for any price point than a Suzuki or a Honda. The problem with TATA is it's reliability and product quality but not really that it skimps on equipment.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 14:19   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
While it is able to sell as many units as permitted by it's production capacity it may as well price it higher. Actually MS too has been going the same with the Swift and Dzire, there is no other reason for the Swift to cost almost 20% more than an equivalent model Ritz. You rake in as much profits as you can without making customer go away.
Okay, Maruti does the same thing, i agree. But they are market leaders in the segment in which Swift & Dzire falls for last 6-7 years. So they can afford to do this. But Honda is struggling for last 2-3 years. They don't have anything else to generate volumes for them apart from City which is also struggling now. So they need to capitalize on the Amaze only, Brio will not gain any more volumes now. IF they don't do it, it will be difficult for them. Any car has to create market, first impressions in the customers minds in the first few months only. If they fail to do so, it makes almost impossible to make come back whatever you do. Recently we have seen examples of that like their own Jazz, Ford Fiesta new etc. But if they do this same thing from beginning, then i am sorry to say that they will loose the game soon. Anyways, i don't think Honda has got such a huge demand for Amaze considering the segment in which it has launched.
Old 13th May 2013, 21:18   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Will something like this do?
Thanks @arjab. This is exactly what i had in mind.
Now, just use excel's conditional formatting option and put a shaded bar behind the percentages for easy visual representation
And also totals for each brand!

Last edited by jalsa777 : 13th May 2013 at 21:19.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks