Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2006, 09:13   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
@Maxbhp: U made a big mistake of adding the "second-hand" factor.
Recently, i got an offer for a BMW M3('97 made) for 11 lakhs.
For around 300bhp, it makes more sense...But, NO.

For a sub 20 lakh bracket, the best performance car today is the 221 bhp 3.0V6 vtec Accord.
Please read it carefully , I have included a clause for used ones...
  1. it shouldnt be older than 4 yrs
  2. can you get an M3 2002 for 15 lacs , if you have I will buy it.
Old 25th May 2006, 09:45   #47
Senior - BHPian

N O T E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp
What do you think is the best driver car below 20 lacs but above 15 ? It Neednt be a new one but at the same time should not be older than 4 yrs .The car should handle well . Should be capable of genuine 160kmph + . It should have good steering response. Ride shouldnt be too hard . It should look Good....Or just rate the cars below out of 10 based on five parameters. Or you can give a car of your preference but has to be a sedan and preferably a car thats well known by the indian folks.

a) perfomance
b) handling
c) looks
d) Practicality
e) Value for money.
For Example I am choosing

Ford mondeo:
  • Perfomance : 6/10 (2.0 litr not punchy enough)
  • Handling : 9/10
  • Looks : 8/10
  • Practicality : 6/10 (Maintenence on the higher side)
  • VFM : 7 / 10
or lets say if the car is

Skoda Oktavia RS
  • Perfomance : 8.5/10 (based on specific output of 83 bhp/litre)
  • Handling : 8/10
  • Looks : 8.5/10
  • Practicality : 7/10 (Maintenence on the higher side)
  • VFM : 8/ 10
Please Choose a car and rate it based on the below 5 parameters , you are welcome to add any new parameter . I have choosen 5 basic ones.
  1. Perfomance : You can rate in based on three factors , specific output refinement and efficiency. Now by efficiency I dont mean 18.7 kmpl...
  2. Handling : General
  3. Looks : General
  4. Practicality : Inhere comes attributes such as spare parts price and availability , Headlight of RS cost around 38000 , just an example
  5. Value For Money :Again its general.

Last edited by maxbhp : 25th May 2006 at 09:49.
Old 25th May 2006, 20:47   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
For a sub 20 lakh bracket, the best performance car today is the 221 bhp 3.0V6 vtec Accord.
With the automatic gearshift removed, I hope. With it, its slower to the ton than the manual 2.4 iVTEC. Above the ton, it maybe significantly faster.

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 25th May 2006 at 20:48.
Old 26th May 2006, 16:22   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Btw, I got a better option.

Buy a lancer( preferably used0. Plonk the evo engine kit and watever mods you want. You will still be left with enough money to buy a R1 or a ninja.

It will be an evo anyways at a lot lesser price and it will still smoke skoda RS.
devarshi, we all know that you're a die hard Lancer fan. But what is amazing that you manage to bring Lancer in every single thread!! Ok, may be I'm over doing...let's say in most threads.
Old 26th May 2006, 16:38   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
devarshi, we all know that you're a die hard Lancer fan. But what is amazing that you manage to bring Lancer in every single thread!! Ok, may be I'm over doing...let's say in most threads.
Basic Lancer (used one say 3 lacs ) + Evo(VII) Engine + Suspensions mod + Stiffened chasis + 17 " Wheels & rims + All around ventilated discs + Recaro Seats + Adding on safety features ...atleast airbags + ABS ?....you will need I guess atleast 15 lacs . I'd rather buy a used Evo I mean even a 10 yr old will do for me , atleast I am sure it will run.
Old 26th May 2006, 16:51   #51
Senior - BHPian

This is just a view....

How about Skoda 1.8 TP Rider... (Used) 800000
  • 16" Tyres& Rims .... 40000
  • Sparco Recaro Seats ... 50000
  • Stiffened susp. ... 50000
  • Additional brake boosters for back wheels.... 30000
  • Petes Tuning Box....... 30000
  • RS FRont REar Bumpers in excahnge of Fac. fitted ones...30000
  • Momo (Look alike)or ISSOTTA..... 10000
  • Vinyl stickers....... 20000
__________________________________________________ __________

Total 1060000.00 INR

And 2000000-1060000 = 940000/- .....better save for the petrol....
Old 26th May 2006, 16:51   #52
BANNED

Ok point taken...less than 5 years old.

I guess you could buy a 2-3 year old RS and spend 4-5 lakhs on Pete's stage 2 upgrades plus whatever else you can bung in within your budget. Probably end up with 300 or so horses and a decent handling package.
Old 26th May 2006, 17:03   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
Ok point taken...less than 5 years old.

I guess you could buy a 2-3 year old RS and spend 4-5 lakhs on Pete's stage 2 upgrades plus whatever else you can bung in within your budget. Probably end up with 300 or so horses and a decent handling package.
Skoda RS and Skoda Rider 1.8 Turbo petrol. shares the same 150 bhp turbocarged engine....its their clever marketing statergy not to bring Turbo petrol Rider in the perfomance light coz that way it wil seriously dent RS coz the only difference , I am saying mechanical is....tyres, brakes , seats , steering wheel , head lamp washers, Skirts for front and rear bumpers finally the canary yellow paint scheme.
Old 26th May 2006, 19:04   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am saying mechanical is....tyres, brakes , seats , steering wheel , head lamp washers, Skirts for front and rear bumpers finally the canary yellow paint scheme.
Add suspension to that.

Quote:
Petes Tuning Box....... 30000
There isint any tuning box for the petrol there is a remap the cheapest costs 50k and gives you around 50 more horses that is 200bhp and if thats the case why not take a Corolla its engine is excellent and a RS is not faster then a Corolla but the RS handles way better then a Corolla. A Corolla used 2003 model costs 6.8L and then you add 17 inchers and some performance mods and we are talking less then Rs. 10L and a scorching car.
Old 26th May 2006, 22:11   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Sorry for drifting off-topic. But this is a serious issue.

I am not trying to be rude here but how come this topic came up a week after my post?

1. I am not a fanboy. Yes I do respect the EVo as one of the best performance 4dr 4cyl sedan and I do find my lancer sfxi to be better than the balenos and NHC's. hence the reason I own one. But no I am not a fanboy.

2. is my post on the lancer here irrelevant? Wont an evo engine in the lancer make it move over 200+ horses and faster than the RS? For a stock car.....yes I will still prefer RS over lancer if that's your doubt.

3. In the last 100 posts or so I have suggested and discussed with people over fiat's and ford's and chevy's and skodas and hyundai's and even a honda. Please check out my last hundred posts datewise and you will see.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/search...earchid=528132

The only place where I posted about lancer irrelevantly was after getting pissed by some baleno fanboys in one of the threads or else in a mitsubishi or lancer thread. I hope u also find those threads where I have said that lancers are outdated and cedia is not worth and those various HM sucks posts.

I hope you give it a though. Just trying to get to a solution here. Even then if u think I am wrong, even now if u think that post is irrelevant and even now if u think I am a fanboy who brings up mitsubishis and lancer in each and every post then

Last edited by devarshi84 : 26th May 2006 at 22:22.
Old 26th May 2006, 23:01   #56
BHPian

I would go for 330i any day... if you can get one for under 20 lacks
No need to make any mods it can smoke most stock cars anyday...
  • Perfomance : 10/10 (6 cyl around 225 hp, electronically limited top speed on 155 MPH - easily progamable)
  • Handling : 9.5/10 (based on personal experience the car sticks to the ground even at high speed turns)
  • Looks : 10/10 (unique mean machine look)
  • Practicality : 8/10 (will be costlier but then again bmw cars are know for reliability)
  • VFM : 10/10 (german engineered perfection)
Quote:
For Example I am choosing
Please Choose a car and rate it based on the below 5 parameters , you are welcome to add any new parameter . I have choosen 5 basic ones.
No Pun intended but you sound like a nagging wife now we get your point you dont need to repeat it for every post man... people are here to discuss, have fun and learn stuff about machines.
Old 26th May 2006, 23:12   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry for drifting off-topic. But this is a serious issue.

I am not trying to be rude here but how come this topic came up a week after my post? :
This is not a serious issue unless you want to see it like that. It came up today (after a week of your post) because I just happen to see it today.
Quote:
1. I am not a fanboy. Yes I do respect the EVo as one of the best performance 4dr 4cyl sedan and I do find my lancer sfxi to be better than the balenos and NHC's. hence the reason I own one. But no I am not a fanboy.
Let’s go one by one. We (at least me) are all fan of EVO. No questions there.
Your liking for SFXI is also true but your belief on Baleno/Lancer comparison is yours.
Quote:
2. is my post on the lancer here irrelevant? Wont an evo engine in the lancer make it move over 200+ horses and faster than the RS? For a stock car.....yes I will still prefer RS over lancer if that's your doubt.
I don’t have any doubt in the first place. It’s your view and I had made comment on something specific. EVO engine on stock Lancer and what have you is beyond discussion here in this thread. Normally it’s not possible for everybody. So let’s not get into that in this particular thread.
Quote:
3. In the last 100 posts or so I have suggested and discussed with people over fiat's and ford's and chevy's and skodas and hyundai's and even a honda. Please check out my last hundred posts datewise and you will see.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/search...earchid=528132
Again, I’m not questioning anything here. In fact I have no question.
Quote:
The only place where I posted about lancer irrelevantly was after getting pissed by some baleno fanboys in one of the threads or else in a mitsubishi or lancer thread. I hope u also find those threads where I have said that lancers are outdated and cedia is not worth and those various HM sucks posts.
That’s pretty evident. But you do tend to bring Lancer in your reply. As a comparison or as a subject.
Quote:
I hope you give it a though. Just trying to get to a solution here. Even then if u think I am wrong, even now if u think that post is irrelevant and even now if u think I am a fanboy who brings up mitsubishis and lancer in each and every post then
You mean giving it thought? Trust me, I do it all the time before posting any reply.
I never said it’s irrelevant. I only expressed my feeling about your posts.

It’s easy to get worked up by reading my reply. Take some time and scan all your posts, if you have the energy. Find out what I mean. You’ll get the answer.

A word of caution: Never label yourself as a biast in a public forum.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th May 2006 at 07:14.
Old 26th May 2006, 23:57   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Add suspension to that.

There isint any tuning box for the petrol there is a remap the cheapest costs 50k and gives you around 50 more horses that is 200bhp and if thats the case why not take a Corolla its engine is excellent and a RS is not faster then a Corolla but the RS handles way better then a Corolla. A Corolla used 2003 model costs 6.8L and then you add 17 inchers and some performance mods and we are talking less then Rs. 10L and a scorching car.
Its a personal preferance , am sorry will never prefer corolla over Skoda . I am not planning for a drag , What I want is good driving experience and Corolla above 160 can give you real hair raising experience . Now coming back to remapping ,I have personally seen a car that churns out 230bhp . I dont know how its measured , but I know the source is dependable. I am willing to spend that extra 1.2 lac for enticing looks coupled with safety features of Oktavia thats way above what Corolla .

Last edited by maxbhp : 27th May 2006 at 00:04.
Old 27th May 2006, 00:01   #59
Senior - BHPian

Sorry Dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPilot
I

No Pun intended but you sound like a nagging wife now we get your point you dont need to repeat it for every post man... people are here to discuss, have fun and learn stuff about machines.
Sorry Dude , I apologise for the same.
Old 27th May 2006, 02:49   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Perhaps you ought to read this

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehi...84.A10394.html

Not exactly the same cars but it gives you an idea - Laura VRS = Golf GTI with a bum- yum yum
Fifthgear did a test of Octavia(What is the Laura here) VRS and the GTi

In forward direction the GTi was slightly quicker(less than a sec).
Then they did it in reverse gear and Laura won by 1.5 sec,

Laura has a higher top speed and costs 3000 pounds less in the UK so it was the clear winner there.

As for the Honda Civic, it will cost about 5-6L less than the Laura VRS. So the price difference is actually quite a bit here. And spares will definately be cheaper too. So the above test doesn't hold too well!

Most Viewed