Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2013, 13:47   #1
BHPian

The people behind the products

Dear Mods, I did not find any thread similar to this, hence starting a new thread. Please merge with any appropriate thread if you think it is necessary.

I have been a member of TeamBHP for a little less than 4 years now, thoroughly enjoying the views and opinions from a vast base of knowledgeable members.
Many times, it gives me an opportunity to look at things from different perspectives that I could possible never foresee by myself.
And while the learning is immense, I only post like a guest appearances under cases where I have a strong feeling or reliable information.

In total, the picture is complete.

One of the sections that I love to read is the Official New Car Reviews. Thanks to the efforts of our flag bearers, we one of the best and unbiased reviews available out there for all to read.

There have been some coverage of manufacturing facilities, factory tours etc. But, I have not read much about the people behind the products.

I am sure that our senior members who conduct official reviews of the vehicles must be getting a chance to interact with the people who are behind the products. The PR team, Marketing guys, Product guys and so on.

This is something I am keen to know. Every company may have a different story. Some may be strong in product knowledge, some in marketing. So who stands where?

Which companies have a robust team behind the product? How well do these people know their own products? How old are these people?
Are the marketing guys old? Are the product guys young?

My intention is not to make this a hot thread. But, just to know what it is on the other side purely for academic interest. Maybe we cannot name the people due to various reasons, but we can atleast salute their contribution, for what we are enjoying today!

I also invite members who know people or have interaction with people in companies (not dealerships) to share their views.

From my point of view it is quite exciting to know all these things.
Your views please..
karpusv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 15:58   #2
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The people behind the products

Dear Karpusv

While some of the info that you have requested be posted on this thread may be quite fine to post a lot would not be. Of course we would probably need a Mod to rely to this thread. But essentially from what I understand when a vehicle is given for review the Product managers and Techies do not necessarily come in contact with the reviewers.

Of course BD and some of his team members from behind the scene are quite known for the development of the Thar. Also some details of persons involved in the Nano development was out when the Nano story as printed by a publication. Recently the M&M gentleman responsible for marketing the XUV gave an interview on a FM channel. It was just the kind of info you would have wanted, going right into his hobbies, passions etc. But as mentioned by you most of the other guys who developed various products are unknown. This may be on purpose on behalf of that individual or maybe it was company policy of people just didn't care.

Like I too would been keen to know about the person who lead the development of the First Safari and then now the Storme and earlier the Aria. We obviously can't expect them to come forward themselves and other current employees too would not wish to share this information least it cause a breach of working terms.

The Info will not be easy to get. There are so many PR and Marketing guys in each company for each product and for each region and then further they consolidate into other individuals on the national front. Then companies like M&M & TATA & Suzuki have other teams who collaborate specifically on Adventure / Expeditions / Experiences / Trails / Rally type of programs. There is also Cougar Motor sports headed by Ashish that runs these programs for various companies and is into it because it is his passion - He is himself a maniac driver and yet a very nice person to get to know, one feels at rest when on an trip planned by him. Or there is an Akash who manages this kind of stuff on the TATA end. Yep I do know their full names and a bit more but am skipping it for the forum. One would know so many Marketing, Sales and Service guys or even maybe someone in Finance due to personal relationships but posting about them on the open forum may not be done.

The short interaction with most Individuals in command may also not throw up too much info beyond the name of the person and possibly an assessment of that individuals capability (just an opinion) which is best not posted.

Yes the info is present in a scattered form with various individuals but if it was about products it would have been posted already since it is about Individuals other persons knowing that individual will hesitate posting the same as it may intrude on the persons privacy.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 19:46   #3
BHPian

Re: The people behind the products

@ACM, You actually brought together various aspects of the things that happen behind the screen above.
From the point of view of an average Joe like me, there are so many things that goes into making my happy drive. I fully agree with you on the point that it is best not to take names considering the individual privacy.
I was looking more at it in terms of understanding which companies are more deeply in sync with their product.

But if it is eventually going to lead to disclosure and unwanted publicity, then I do not mind in closing the thread. It is understandable.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks