Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2006, 01:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

Well, from the way this thread is going, I can suggest only ONE winner; the 2.8 Pajero; good looks, sufficient performance (can still whack the Endy, Dicor, Scorpio and the like), 7-seater, rugged, bullet-proof, and it's within the better side of 20 lacs too.

The Montero is a heck of an SUV. Had a chance to sample one during the Mumbai performance auto show...DAMN..! Now THAT, is what you call an SUV. A perfect recipe- diesel, loaded to the gills, seats that would put the S' class and the Safari's to shame, and what not...now THAT, is a car to have...
Old 26th May 2006, 08:36   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
Well, from the way this thread is going, I can suggest only ONE winner; the 2.8 Pajero; good looks, sufficient performance (can still whack the Endy, Dicor, Scorpio and the like), 7-seater, rugged, bullet-proof, and it's within the better side of 20 lacs too.

The Montero is a heck of an SUV. Had a chance to sample one during the Mumbai performance auto show...DAMN..! Now THAT, is what you call an SUV. A perfect recipe- diesel, loaded to the gills, seats that would put the S' class and the Safari's to shame, and what not...now THAT, is a car to have...
I heard that the Montero is likely to be priced in the same range as the existing pajero. Is that true?
Old 26th May 2006, 09:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
Why no one mentioned Nissan X-trail? [though very pricey ~26 lakh]

Give me one reason justifying its price of 26 lacs . Inspite of being in the same league as CRV its almost double the price . Handling is no where near CRV . Its very top heavy . Only thing in its favour is its great Crdi Mill , and contemporary interiors and ofcourse brand lineage of Nissan Patrol.
Old 26th May 2006, 10:29   #34
BHPian

Is not Honda planning to get the Common rail Diesel CRV into India??

the 2.2 litre CDTi..that suposedly, besides the performance; also gives 18kmpl..per European driving cycle.
Old 26th May 2006, 12:07   #35
Senior - BHPian

what abt the terracan?

it's a gen newer than the old pajero
Old 26th May 2006, 12:16   #36
Senior - BHPian

Forget Terracan. Hyundai stopped the production. I think Hyundai kept people waiting for the launch for more time than it was in production.

My uncle deposited money with Hyundai dealer for a white Terracan few months ago. White was very rare and they gave my uncle an infinite waiting period before they returned back the money as the producion has stopped.

Last edited by satish_appasani : 26th May 2006 at 12:18.
Old 26th May 2006, 12:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

Even I am wondering why nobody's discussing the Terracan which I have heard to be 'The Only performing SUV in India' ???
Old 26th May 2006, 12:21   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
Forget Terracan. Hyundai stopped the production. I think Hyundai kept people waiting for the launch for more time than it was in production.

My uncle deposited money with Hyundai dealer for a white Terracan few months ago. White was very rare and they gave my uncle an infinite waiting period before they returned back the money as the producion has stopped.

this is news to me

then how come me still seeing new terracans on road?

it's gonna be replaced or what?

<ot : btw anna u still owe me an party and 2f2f movie on ur home theatre >
Old 26th May 2006, 13:19   #39
BHPian

Guys dont you think so we dont have good suv in the price bracket of 8-10 lakhs. I had heard that Toyota fotrtuner was to be introduce at price of 10-12 lamhs but now heard recently its going to be for 16-18 lakhs its to much.
Old 26th May 2006, 15:05   #40
Senior - BHPian

Why is everyone saying the handling of the Dicor is bad?!
Old 26th May 2006, 19:27   #41
Senior - BHPian

What about a Forester. It handles pretty well and is perfect off roader. It has the underpinnings of the Impreza Sti. You can get a used 2005 model less then a year old for as less as 8L.
Old 26th May 2006, 23:24   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj
I heard that the Montero is likely to be priced in the same range as the existing pajero. Is that true?
Nope; it's gonna be priced between 28.5-30 lacs, as per reliable sources. But there are some rumours of some duty cuts on certain areas, so it COULD be cheaper.

The new Vitara is a good option, but if people from Maruti are to be believed, then the Indian version is going to be petrol only- no diesel options.

It would have been great if Honda came up with the 2.2 diesel CR-V, but that's a long shot. For one, Honda doesn't have any plans to launch it soon; it's concentrating on the Civic, new Accord (both diesel and petrol) and of course, the B+ segment hatch.

And yes, the rumours are true. Terracan has stopped production about 6 months ago. Checked it out myself a long time back. A few are still available from the last batch of imports, but that's it. It would have been THE SUV to have, if it was priced around 18 lacs, but sadly..

The Safari is a great budget SUV, but it still doesn't have that "upmarket" feel. Quality of plastics are disappointing, and the car still doesn't have that "solid" feeling that the Endy (which, is outdated now) gives. But still, the Safari is the only true SUV for guys on a budget; and that's a good thing.

The Subaru Forrester is a great stationwagon. That's it. It's just about as big as the Tata Estate, or the Palio Adventure. From no perspective can it be called a proper SUV. But it drives like hell, great AWD system, yada,yada....And that 4wd lever takes a li'l getting used to; the lever travels in a straight line, is placed behind the handbrake, and has just 2 positions; 4H and 4L; but everything is forgiven once you open those frameless doors. As a secondhand buy, it's great. But it's not a proper/practical SUV, in the purest sense of the term.

Like I said; the best SUV for this side of 20 lacs if bought THIS year; the 2.8 Pajero. For next year, it would be a close call between the new Endy, GM's quasi-SUV or the new Safari, and/or Fortuner, if launched as per plans...
Old 27th May 2006, 01:23   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz
Yes there is a new 2.2 ltr under development but I wouldn't believe the 'new from ground up' part until i see it on the road.

Had the Innova come with the Safari's looks, it could have been a very worthwhile buy.
give it to DC, who knows this time he can actually get some good looks for a car.
Old 27th May 2006, 02:41   #44
Team-BHP Support

What about the tuscon. It fits the bill except for the true off roader part, which you dont really need in a people carrier.
In india fuel cost is very high when compared to avg income of a guy who drives a 8L car. So economy takes precedence. So much so that even when somebody buys a laura he still wonders about the fuel economy. A SuV will have lower economy due to bad aerodynamics and higher weight.
Add to that the parking and driving conditions in cities, the bigger the car the worse the nightmare.
I guess this segment will also open up in the next few months. In the economy segment its the scorpio and safari(later the X2) which will drive the market.

Another factor is the guys who sell in india. The Japs and the Koreans. SuVs have been the strong point of the american guys. Americans are still babies in the Indian market when you look at peneteration. They are more worried about making profit, so they will first introduce what sells here and then go on to the other segments.
Old 27th May 2006, 02:44   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Why is everyone saying the handling of the Dicor is bad?!
Because it is. Its almost as bad as the old scorpio and worse than the current one. When you see whats available here, it may seem to be okay, compare that with the similar priced SuVs all around the globe, its way way down.

An ideal Suv would be with the character of the Safari with the handling of Innova

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks