Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2006, 22:27   #76
BHPian

I think the VW Toureg with its 350 BHP V10 diesel motor would be the ideal SUV.
Old 18th June 2006, 01:56   #77
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Steeroid. The Interiors look like not so 21st century or should i say way old. Even a Bolero which comes for around 6 Lacs has better interiors. When a person is paying 6.5Lacs he is not buying 4WD system only.. oh no no interior quality is required and thats where this car miserably disapoints. One of the finest aspects of the Safari is the interiors which look so good and the seats so comfy no wonder many people prefer the more expensive Safari and Less powered to the Scorpio.

SuVS are not meant to be fast. They are meant to be comfortable and be like go anywhere types. There is no bigdeal with the Judo, etc because they are borrowing engines and not making there own i immensely respect Tata and Mahindra for making there own engine top of that CRDi. Just cant wait to see the new Safari and Scoprio with the newer engines.

Also the Car look so bare basic i mean the body looks like it was designed using rulers. No offence to any one but my personal views and may differ from yours.

P.S rrnsss Do you own Force Motors?
Old 6th August 2006, 08:11   #78
BHPian

Although I am Johnny come Lately to this thread, I agree with GTO and Steeroid on the major features of a SUV. Personally, the Terracan was really nice, but at Rs. 20+ lakhs, I am not sure I would ever think of buying one. They should've priced it somewhere in the neighborhood of Endeavor and that would have been perfect.

What makes a perfect SUV? From my perspective, features include body on frame, switchable four wheel drive, good ground clearance, etc. particulary because I would like to cross an always near-dry stream to get to a major road faster instead of winding through smaller roads. Clearly, the Safari fits the bill and the complaints against it are a rather not refined interior, slightly more steering play and somewhat less power. If the new Safari fixes these things or the Fortuner is priced at Rs.12-16L segment, they'll have a winner. The Thai Fortuner really has a very nice interior. I hope the hood scoop is not fake though. Toyota should have introduced the Fortuner in India first instead of Innova.

Are the Mitsubishi folks planning on selling only 100 units a year with the new Pajero being priced at Rs.35L? A nicely loaded 4L V6 Toyota 4Runner SR5 (slightly better ground clearance than the fortuner and generally slightly larger also) costs approximately $26K in the US and the fully loaded Montero costs about $36K. I understand that the taxes are pretty high, but really, they've to reduce the price to increase the numbers.
Old 6th August 2006, 08:15   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameya
I think the VW Toureg with its 350 BHP V10 diesel motor would be the ideal SUV.
Yep, that is a sweet SUV with height adjustable suspensions that can be raised by more than a foot. Now that's a real off-roader although its not body on frame. I assume it will cost in excess of Rs.60L in India if Skoda decides to bring it in!

Last edited by THE-U- : 6th August 2006 at 08:16.
Old 6th August 2006, 14:11   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U-
Yep, that is a sweet SUV with height adjustable suspensions that can be raised by more than a foot. Now that's a real off-roader although its not body on frame. I assume it will cost in excess of Rs.60L in India if Skoda decides to bring it in!
Skoda will never bring any VW car in India. VW would not want to lower their images and hence they themselves have come here individually already with the Passat and Phaeton and Toureg as well.
Old 6th August 2006, 20:49   #81
BHPian

perfect suv

i think the soon to be launched mitsubishi outlander answers all these (including the price ) & much more -the only question remains is the launch date-anything on that
Old 6th August 2006, 20:55   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp421b
Skoda will never bring any VW car in India. VW would not want to lower their images and hence they themselves have come here individually already with the Passat and Phaeton and Toureg as well.
I didn't really know VW has already come to India. Is VW trying to pass itself as a luxury brand like MB/ BMW? They already have Audis for it, right?
Old 6th August 2006, 20:59   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith
i think the soon to be launched mitsubishi outlander answers all these (including the price ) & much more -the only question remains is the launch date-anything on that
If this is going to be same Outlander that is selling in the US, I don't think it will be as good as 4Runner/ Fortuner or even the Safari. I think it is a softroader as well. However, the Suzuki Grand Vitara is a genuine 4x4 although a bit smaller.
Old 7th August 2006, 15:48   #84
NIP
Senior - BHPian

i have been driving the scorpio for 3 years now and believe me...the places that i've taken it to, safari can only dream of...and the perception that safari has better interiors is subjective...!
Old 8th August 2006, 07:34   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP
i have been driving the scorpio for 3 years now and believe me...the places that i've taken it to, safari can only dream of...and the perception that safari has better interiors is subjective...!
Since both the Scorpio and the Safari have almost the same ground clearance, can you do a comparison of approach/ departure angles and the 4x4 mechanism between the two? We need hard numbers!
Old 8th August 2006, 11:06   #86
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since both the Scorpio and the Safari have almost the same ground clearance, can you do a comparison of approach/ departure angles and the 4x4 mechanism between the two? We need hard numbers!
dude...i'm not getting into any technical 'hard numbers' game here...but i've driven both hard on and off the road and i'm more convinced about the scorpios off-road abilities against the safaris. that said...the scorpio is still no match to the off-road capabilities of a bare-*** gypsy or CJ3B...
Old 8th August 2006, 13:15   #87
BANNED

I don't agree that an SUV "has" to be plush. That's a perk. Very often it comes at a price i.e. the actual off road capabilities of the vehicle.

For example, the Safari is so comfortable that it is too heavy to actually do any offroading without getting stuck or breaking something. Hence it's better to keep it on the road.

Same with Scorpio. My dad almost bought one until he spoke to a friend's friend, who is in Mahindra's senior management. He specifically told my dad not to buy the car, as it is very unsafe at highway speeds.

In contrast, a Gypsy might break your back and give your forearms a solid workout, but damn it can go places!
Old 8th August 2006, 19:53   #88
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
I don't agree that an SUV "has" to be plush. That's a perk. Very often it comes at a price i.e. the actual off road capabilities of the vehicle.
in realistic indian conditions and the high cost of 4x4 vehicles and their maintenence (pajero, tucson,terracan,xtrail), an ideal vehicle to bash around in the mud is something like the gypsy or the CJ3B...where u dont have to be bothered about the fancy paint-jobs or getting it turtle once in a way...! get my drift ?
Old 8th August 2006, 21:16   #89
BHPian

Quote:
and the perception that safari has better interiors is subjective
NO Safari does have better interiors and comfort. Just look at it this way the Scorpios steering is totally flat. It doesnot give feel. Anyways there is no perfect SUV but IMHO the one which will come close is the TDCi Endy and the Tucson atleast for me.
Old 8th August 2006, 22:48   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't really know VW has already come to India. Is VW trying to pass itself as a luxury brand like MB/ BMW? They already have Audis for it, right?
What do you expect with the Phaeton which is going to rival the 7 series A8 and yes you heard this one right the master of them all the worlds best car yet again the Mercedes Benz S Class

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks