Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2007, 15:46   #121
HSV
BHPian

My two cents... Came across a Yahoo group on Scorpio... They have loosely mentioned that there are unconfirmed rumours that the much awaited new Scorpio should be launching sometime May 3rd week.
Old 17th April 2007, 16:15   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Damn! When do we see some competition in C segment SUV/UV. Right now there is only Sumo and Bolero. Frankly there are more SUVs in 20+ lakhs range than below 10lakhs range. Doesn't make sense.
completely agree with you Sam, what we need an entry level no nonsense SUV as common man can never afford those premium ones.
Old 17th April 2007, 16:20   #123
HSV
BHPian

Absolutely Chanapli... Something in the 7-9Lac range which also has requisite comfort levels to drive in the city too. I mean a tad better than the Boleros .
Old 17th April 2007, 18:00   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
The one that would certainly be a winner is the Toyota Fortuner as there is an IMV platform already in place and all they need to add is the SUV specific components and i am sure that considering the Innova price, they could easily target a price of around 13-14L and that would take a good amount of the business away from Tata's, Hyundai, Honda etc.. Goes back to the management of Toyota and HM.. they are stuck in time..
In terms of cost- it could be a winner. in terms of looks - it is a bit hideous - a hilux on stillts
Old 17th April 2007, 19:06   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Mitsubishi:
Mahindra:
Still waiting for their next model - wonder if it will come this year - will it be only the engine or a different chassis?

Tata:
I guess we are all waiting to see what their new model with a new engine looks like..

M&M had a seriously good vehicle in the Scorpio. But the formula is a little off for India now. I wish they had invested time in making a version that,
1. is Narrower by about 4", about as much as in the Innova
2. is Lighter by 300kg
3. has lower seat height, maybe by about a couple of inches. Crazy packaging currently.
4. has better rear leg room
5. more power. The present Common Rail push-rod is almost a miracle. I hear there is a more powerful version around the corner
6. has more practical interiors that fit into the 'nomad' and 'escape' themes. Right now, inside it looks a little more refined than a taxi. There are smart things that they can do with the inside door trim, maybe put retractable cup holders there. There's so much space that you are unlikely to know it off.

Right now, it is a lot of metal for the money. Needs a dose of good sense too.
Old 18th April 2007, 08:29   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
M&M had a seriously good vehicle in the Scorpio. But the formula is a little off for India now. I wish they had invested time in making a version that,
1. is Narrower by about 4", about as much as in the Innova
2. is Lighter by 300kg
3. has lower seat height, maybe by about a couple of inches. Crazy packaging currently.
4. has better rear leg room
5. more power. The present Common Rail push-rod is almost a miracle. I hear there is a more powerful version around the corner
6. has more practical interiors that fit into the 'nomad' and 'escape' themes. Right now, inside it looks a little more refined than a taxi. There are smart things that they can do with the inside door trim, maybe put retractable cup holders there. There's so much space that you are unlikely to know it off.
Right now, it is a lot of metal for the money. Needs a dose of good sense too.
I didn't know that the CRDi engine was a pushrod. Interesting.
Old 18th April 2007, 11:32   #127
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki SX4 would have been an ideal C segment SUV?
Old 18th April 2007, 12:06   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Suzuki SX4 would have been an ideal C segment SUV?
Worthy successor to the Gypsy! A lot of people still remeber it fondly..
Old 18th April 2007, 13:13   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
I didn't know that the CRDi engine was a pushrod. Interesting.
It's basically their old tractor unit, revamped for use in the Scorpio. It's not a new unit built from scratch.
Old 18th April 2007, 16:36   #130
BHPian

Quote:
i am sure that considering the Innova price, they could easily target a price of around 13-14L and that would take a good amount of the business away from Tata's, Hyundai, Honda etc.. Goes back to the management of Toyota and HM.. they are stuck in time..
In terms of positioning, Fortuner is costlier than Rav4 in some countries with a 3l DiD manual/abs/ebd etc. Rav4 should cost atleast what CRV costs which is around 18l OTR. I can not stop wondering how can Toyota could bring it down lesser than this 18l! Moreover, Fortuner is really a big SUV with tough looks when comparing with the new Rav4 which boasts only 2l-2.5l petrol!

The only possibility (almost reality!) is SX4 wagon with 2l CRDi with manual gearbox with 4x2 option around 11l to 12l OTR, if SX4 sedan becomes a hit (so that atleast 40% of the parts can be used!) In coutries like Indonesia, this version is marketed already, so, just a matter of assembling bit and pieces together! Safaris/Scorpios...Run for cover!
Old 18th April 2007, 18:15   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
In terms of positioning, Fortuner is costlier than Rav4 in some countries with a 3l DiD manual/abs/ebd etc. Rav4 should cost atleast what CRV costs which is around 18l OTR. I can not stop wondering how can Toyota could bring it down lesser than this 18l! Moreover, Fortuner is really a big SUV with tough looks when comparing with the new Rav4 which boasts only 2l-2.5l petrol!
The reason for the IMV, i believe was a common reuse platform. Other than the engine, the body and some elements of the suspension it cannot be too different than the Innova to justify such a large difference in price!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
The only possibility (almost reality!) is SX4 wagon with 2l CRDi with manual gearbox with 4x2 option around 11l to 12l OTR, if SX4 sedan becomes a hit (so that atleast 40% of the parts can be used!) In coutries like Indonesia, this version is marketed already, so, just a matter of assembling bit and pieces together! Safaris/Scorpios...Run for cover!
The surprising fact is the price for this in the US - starting is around $17K which is similar to the Outlander pricing! Goes beyond logic then to bring it down to this price level of a C segment, when a similarly priced one from Mitubishi will be priced in the 20L+ range..
Old 18th April 2007, 19:04   #132
BHPian

Quote:
The surprising fact is the price for this in the US - starting is around $17K which is similar to the Outlander pricing! Goes beyond logic then to bring it down to this price level of a C segment, when a similarly priced one from Mitubishi will be priced in the 20L+ range..
Hey this is not bad at all , Like Toyota's IMV platform Maruti can leverage the SX4 platform, since they are coming out with a sedan at 6-8 lakhs, they can always put in a 1.9 ltd, put in 16 " tyres (17" will be excellent) , get somebody to make the SX4 rear in India too and there you have it a perfect Safari/Scorpio beater (maybe endy & tuscon too). This can be easily done at around 8-10 lakhs. The beauty of all this is unlike Mitsubhishi Maruti plans to make the sedan here and not go the import route. I guess if Maruti has not thought of it till now, maybe they should now, this can be a winning formula for them.
Old 18th April 2007, 20:00   #133
BHPian

Sounds like tbhpians make a better Product Manager for auto cos than they themselves!
Old 25th June 2007, 17:28   #134
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I gotta admit....the new Endeavour has me smitten by what I see so far. A vastly improved 142 BHP engine, macho front end and improved interiors (gotta love beige!) make it seem like a good option for 15 odd lacs.

Plus, it feels as indestructible as ever before.
Old 25th June 2007, 17:52   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I gotta admit....the new Endeavour has me smitten by what I see so far. A vastly improved 142 BHP engine, macho front end and improved interiors (gotta love beige!) make it seem like a good option for 15 odd lacs.
I agree. Its 18 odd lakhs BTW (in bangalore).

If there is a way to make the middle row comfortable, it will be unbeatable!

-h

Most Viewed