Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2006, 15:01   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Where is the perfect SUV?

The Indian story:

We have performance cars like the Palio 1.6, Baleno and the Octavia RS. Economy kings like the Indica and the Alto. We have the perfect mid-sizers in the Optra 1.6 and the NHC. Great people movers via the Innova and the Tavera. Accords, Mercs and Beemers fill up the extreme luxury bracket. Heck, we even have the RR Phantom and Maybach on sale for a couple of crores!!

But why not the perfect SUV

To me, the perfect SUV would have the following:

- Turbo-diesel CRDi engine
- Modern "butch" looks and chassis design
- Seating for 6 - 7 passengers
- User selectable 4x4 option (not a sissy all wheel drive)
- Good performance and handling (by SUV standards)
- Goodies such as leather, sunroof etc.
- Price anywhere between 12 - 16 lacs.

I find the Endeavour horribly outdated with terrible performance, spartan interiors and inacceptable ride quality. The Safari Dicor is also an outdated machine which is under-engineered. Loose handling, compromised city driveability and suspect reliability. The CRV is well....a City Recreational Vehicle. Ditto for the Tucson. The Scorpio is way lower than the segment I would be looking at.

I thought that the Fortuner and the new Vitara fit the bill close. But they seem like an eternity away. Whats up manufacturers? Arent you missing a golden first-mover opportunity?

GTO

P.S. Soon the family would be expanding to 6 members. And outstation trips = 2 cars.
Old 25th May 2006, 15:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well, the new Endy is just a couple of months away, which would fill most of the criteria. Else, the Pajero 2.8 is quite a good all-rounder too; at least I found it to be one. Yes, the engine might be outdated, but it's bulletproof, and it STILL outpowers ALL of it's rivals.

GM, Toyota and Mitsubishi all have SUV's up their sleeves, but all are at least 4-5 months away...
Old 25th May 2006, 15:24   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1

GM, Toyota and Mitsubishi all have SUV's up their sleeves, but all are at least 4-5 months away...
i hope they roll off their sleeves soon ,i can't wait anymore for Fortuner.....
Old 25th May 2006, 15:33   #4
Team-BHP Support

Fortuner looks pretty crappy - Hilux in disguise - New Santa Fe looks hot
Old 25th May 2006, 15:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

GTO I know its "your" idea of perfect SUV but

Quote:
Why SUV has to be diesel? why has to be common rail?

Don't forget Indian automobile market is "just" starting to shape up. It will take some time before wide range of cars are available.

There are some good capable off-roaders already available like Trax, Gypsy. And if we remove price bracket of 12-16Lakh then it opens a world of possibilities including importing Land Rovers.

Very very less number of SUV's are actually used for off roading and by law of masses automobile makers are starting to make SUV's more suitable where they are used more, on roads.

Quote:
P.S. Soon the family would be expanding to 6 members. And outstation trips = 2 cars.
In that case you don't need SUV, you need MUV & Innova is a great one
Old 25th May 2006, 15:46   #6
BHPian

GTO,
as of now, CRV is the closest to what you needs.

the main thing to worry is the range of 12-16 lacs.
you correctly pointed out that in this range there are no good SUVs, proper SUVs to be precise.

for some higher price ranges there are lots of SUVs available, but certainly not in this bracket!

any SUV-maker listening?!
Old 25th May 2006, 15:48   #7
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidzterdesign
Well according to me our type(suv's we wish there were there in India) SUV's don't have a good place in the indian market as in that price range people would prefer buying a classy sedan!! hence car companies try to launch those cars more than SUV's!! like if you observe car companies like honda bring most of thier peoples cars in the US to india are converted into a luxury car for example for the honda civic they have that as the peoples car there but over here it would come as a luxury car costing between 15-25 lacs!! it all depends upon what market they want to target onto and they arent concentrating on the suv market as they know that suv sales are going to be less here. That are my views i don't know about your opinion
(that gave me a kick -- used a smiley for the first time!!). And apart from the high initial and running costs of SUV's, our narrow roads and crowded cities would be another major factor in making SUV's less popular in India. Parking, overtaking, reversing, etc. would be a nightmare in our city roads and most highways as well.
Regards, rks
Old 25th May 2006, 15:53   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why SUV has to be diesel? why has to be common rail?
Diesels have more torque lower down. And that helps when chugging along highways with 7 people on board. Depreciation. The diesel powerplant will be better adapted to highway fuel adulteration than the petrol. SUV = Diesel = Character.

Quote:
Don't forget Indian automobile market is "just" starting to shape up. It will take some time before wide range of cars are available.
As I mentioned, the other segments shaped up pretty fast. What was with the SUV segment?

Quote:
There are some good capable off-roaders already available like Trax, Gypsy.
I already have a capable off-roader in the Classic. And if I take my family for a holiday in a Classic / Trax / Gypsy...I wont have a family at the end of the trip.

Quote:
In that case you don't need SUV, you need MUV & Innova is a great one
Among other factors, looks are major in me deciding on a car. Therefore, how much ever I respect the Innova, you wont ever see one in my garage.

Quote:
Parking, overtaking, reversing, etc. would be a nightmare in our city roads and most highways as well.
For me, the bigger a car the better. No issues with size or parking at all.

The new soon to be launched Pajero / Montero look tempting. But 30+ lakhs?

GTO
Old 25th May 2006, 15:56   #9
BANNED

Get the older generation Pajero 2.8 litre at 18 lakhs. It's still more SUV than anything we'll be seeing anytime soon.
Old 25th May 2006, 15:57   #10
BHPian

Why no one mentioned Nissan X-trail? [though very pricey ~26 lakh]
Old 25th May 2006, 15:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

I am still dreaming a decent dsl SUV within 10 lakhs. I do not mind if it seats just 5 people. For me, a great SUV within this price band will be an Adventure with a great dsl powertrain and a 4x4. Or an SX4.
Old 25th May 2006, 15:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

We hear very reliable talk about the new Safari for December this year, 2.2 litre CRDi, 145 bhp, 330nm. News came from another TBHP member who is 'in the know' and we're told the vehicle will be totally 'new' from ground up.

Last edited by Steeroid : 25th May 2006 at 16:03.
Old 25th May 2006, 16:04   #13
BHPian

The new safari looks mouth watering, how about a real 4x4 innova??
Old 25th May 2006, 16:14   #14
mxx
BHPian

Toyota Fortuner has everything you are asking for. But when it arrives is a question.
I checked it out the fortuner on my trip abroad. Excellent off road capabilities. And great on-road too. heard that it would be priced around 15 lakhs.
BTW, I checked out the V6 petrol version.
Heard that the engine for India might be 160bhp Crdi.
Old 25th May 2006, 16:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
To me, the perfect SUV would have the following:

- Modern "butch" looks and chassis design
- Seating for 6 - 7 passengers
- User selectable 4x4 option (not a sissy all wheel drive)
- Good performance and handling (by SUV standards)
- Goodies such as leather, sunroof etc.
- Price anywhere between 12 - 16 lacs.
The TUCSON engine , with ENDEAVOUR looks, INNOVA space, MAHINDRA feature 4x4, CRV handling, and PRADO/PAJERO goodies with the pricing falling in the SAFARI range. Not a tough ask ....hehe

GTO - with the family expanding you cant go wrong with TOYOTA INNOVA D4-D 2.5 V. Trust me I changed my opinions once I had a ride in it. Sadly thats the best option you have.

Infact I think its a brilliant option , because I'm sure the elders in the family wouldnt love getting in and out of the SUV , and they wont even like the ride quality.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks