Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2007, 21:27   #106
BHPian

GTO,
what was the problem again with the Tucson w.r.t. your specific requirement ?
i.e. decent looks, decent powerplant, carrying capacity.
Old 6th April 2007, 00:18   #107
BHPian

ok i saw it in your post script.
Old 6th April 2007, 00:33   #108
BHPian

I wish Ford had launched the Escape instead of the Bulky(but fine looking) Endeavour .
Old 6th April 2007, 02:54   #109
Senior - BHPian

Twin-turbo EJ20 Subaru Forester. Have I already mentioned it?
Old 6th April 2007, 05:34   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Twin-turbo EJ20 Subaru Forester. Have I already mentioned it?
That would still be a softroader wouldn't it?

Come to think of it, Hyundai Terracan does fit the bill for a decent SUV. With the prices of CRV and the like, now it seems to me it was priced well too. I wish they had priced it in the neighbourhood of Rs.14-15L though.

Last edited by THE-U- : 6th April 2007 at 05:36.
Old 6th April 2007, 12:33   #111
BHPian

i had a test drive of safari and found its body roll predictable but its too much its like a struggling hippo maintaining its composure. the vehicle just wants to drift. i read alot of safari on forums, mags even seen some of it on zee tv episode if i remember right and sorry to say it has disappointed me. so all who say safari is a good SUV are wrong its a good car on stilts only when you need to go left of the road to move past a parked vehicle.

Innova is good in its "class" not off road but the steering is very responsive and body roll is minimal.
Old 17th April 2007, 14:10   #112
BHPian

Update on SUVs

Mitsubishi:
Auto India says: " will launch its all new Outlander in India early next year. The model will be brought in as a CBU from Japan and marketed by Hindustan Motor, slotting into the local line-up between Pajero and Monetro"

So much for their pricing policy!!! They ought to position it below the current Pajero based on the pricing abroad.

Nissan:
:: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::
Nissan has revealed a longer and roomier X-Trail at the Geneva Show, a subtle face-lift of the old model with some of the squarer edges softened slightly. The new X-Trail uses a variant of Nissan-Renault’s C-platform. Engines will be new, too, featuring 140bhp, 2.0-litre and 160bhp, 2.5-litre petrols and a choice of 2.0-litre Renault diesels, one with 150bhp and another with 173bhp. Transmissions will be a choice between a six-speed manual and CVT automatic, or a six-speed auto for the 173bhp diesel. Despite a higher-quality interior and more space, prices are tipped to rise just one to two per cent in Europe, with the base model expected to cost around Rs 14.45 lakh in the UK. According to Nissan India, it will be bringing in the diesel version of the new X-Trail to India. But this won’t happen immediately, since the company needs time to homologate the new X-Trail for sale in India. Sources at Nissan India say that it would most likely be in India “within a year or maybe sooner” and pricing would be slightly higher than the current version’s Rs 25-30 lakh range, due to the higher 113 percent import duty on fully-built vehicles.

I guess that still lets us waiting to hear from GM (Aptiva), Ford (New engine and not the escape) for this year's announcements. Doubt if any more announcements from Honda. No sounds from Hyundai to change their current model - Tuscon.

Mahindra:
Still waiting for their next model - wonder if it will come this year - will it be only the engine or a different chassis?

Tata:
I guess we are all waiting to see what their new model with a new engine looks like..

Next Year:
Toyota will probably join the list next year with their fortuner. Not sure if Maruti will announce anything this year.

Last edited by rangaraj : 17th April 2007 at 14:13.
Old 17th April 2007, 14:15   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

If they get the pricing right (and HM-Mitsubishi is NOT known to do that), this should sell briskly
Old 17th April 2007, 14:31   #114
Team-BHP Support

Damn! When do we see some competition in C segment SUV/UV. Right now there is only Sumo and Bolero. Frankly there are more SUVs in 20+ lakhs range than below 10lakhs range. Doesn't make sense.
Old 17th April 2007, 14:42   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Damn! When do we see some competition in C segment SUV/UV. Right now there is only Sumo and Bolero. Frankly there are more SUVs in 20+ lakhs range than below 10lakhs range. Doesn't make sense.
I echo your sentiments.. As the roads in bangalore and speed bumps go higher, the need for a SUV increases and there is no damn SUV that is decent in the 10-15L bracket. I still dont think the Scorpio and the Safari's are worth considering (no offence). Why dont the manufacturers realize this and plug this hole... Instead of taking the CBU route, if they did some localization, i am sure they should be able to address this segment..
Old 17th April 2007, 15:14   #116
Senior - BHPian

They should in my opinion get the mini versions of the SUV's like the RAV4, Mini Pajero shouldn't cost more than 10 lakhs..?
Old 17th April 2007, 15:20   #117
BHPian

I thought the Outlander slotted in the CRV,Tucson category(12-18 lacs) - atleast it was when Autocar reviewed it last year.
Old 17th April 2007, 15:20   #118
Team-BHP Support

The Rav4 would cost the same as the CRV (18 lakhs) and the Mini Pajero is nothing but a micro car the size of a WagonR.
Old 17th April 2007, 15:24   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The reason could be because of the presence of these 2 warriors in this class. I dont think anyone could make something to compete with these at their current price range.
Old 17th April 2007, 15:45   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
The Rav4 would cost the same as the CRV (18 lakhs) and the Mini Pajero is nothing but a micro car the size of a WagonR.
The argument is - most SUV's are coming in through the CBU route. How much would the price reduce if they were assembled and localised here? If the CRV currently costs 18L what would it cost if localized? A top of the line Outlander in the US costs around 10L, so if they made a localized version, the starting price could well be around 14-16L.

Is there anyone from the auto-industry who could comment on some insights on what would be the minimum number of units sold to justify localization. Ford seems to take that route.. The one that would certainly be a winner is the Toyota Fortuner as there is an IMV platform already in place and all they need to add is the SUV specific components and i am sure that considering the Innova price, they could easily target a price of around 13-14L and that would take a good amount of the business away from Tata's, Hyundai, Honda etc.. Goes back to the management of Toyota and HM.. they are stuck in time..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks