Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2007, 20:20   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
I agree. Its 18 odd lakhs BTW (in bangalore).

If there is a way to make the middle row comfortable, it will be unbeatable!

-h
Endeavor still looks short and long which kills its curb-appeal in my opinion.
Old 25th June 2007, 21:17   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post
Endeavor still looks short and long which kills its curb-appeal in my opinion.
Short and long ? Are you saying that it isn't tall enough ?

I feel that pictures don't do justice to Endy. It is impressive in flesh.
Old 25th June 2007, 21:43   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Short and long ? Are you saying that it isn't tall enough ?
Yes. Perhaps its the way the picutre's been taken but Toyota Fortuner, Hyundai Terracan (even the Suzuki Grand Vitara) I feel have a higher stance than the Endeavor. Endeavor looks like the updated Forester to me.
Old 25th June 2007, 21:57   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post
Yes. Perhaps its the way the picutre's been taken but Toyota Fortuner, Hyundai Terracan (even the Suzuki Grand Vitara) I feel have a higher stance than the Endeavor. Endeavor looks like the updated Forester to me.
I can assure you that it looks nothing like Forester. I used to joking refer to Forester as over-sized WagonR. Don't get me wrong I have serious respect for the off-road capabilities of Forester. I was just talking about the looks. Endeavour is very handsome and has an imposing stance.
Old 19th November 2007, 12:23   #140

Future Indian SUV Requirements

Hey Guys ... I had posted one post asking for your expectations or say suggestions on the to be launched M&M's Ingenio....As i had said earlier i was among the 100 people chosen as a customer feedback/expectations exercise carried out by M&M... I did recieve a large number of posts regarding improvements...Thanks to team bhp...I could harness some of the improvements that the people expected from the new MUV...After that response...I thought why not start a post which outlines common people's expectations regarding a new SUV...Evry time a new SUV iis launched in India...we hear about they not being to the mark as the International 1's are....then why not we post our requirements for a new future(4 to 5 yrs down the line) Indian SUV...what say?...
Old 19th November 2007, 14:39   #141
BHPian

The New Vitara Looks way ahead and is the perfect SUV as it stands out in crowd and is very catcy, Even in terms of Driveability and Handling it stands apart
Old 19th November 2007, 14:49   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suniljathar View Post
After that response...I thought why not start a post which outlines common people's expectations regarding a new SUV...Evry time a new SUV iis launched in India...we hear about they not being to the mark as the International 1's are....then why not we post our requirements for a new future(4 to 5 yrs down the line) Indian SUV...what say?...
I am sure if you read this thread you will find what you are looking for.

For me, the perfect SUV would have the off roading capabilities of Pajero, Interiors of Endeavour, Handling of Forester, Ride of Safari, Imposing stance like that of Endeavour or Safari and a Price tag of less than 15L on Road .
Old 19th November 2007, 15:28   #143
Senior - BHPian

Aren't you asking for toooo much? That's the dream SUV you've just outlined for the Indian roads & conditions.

Quote:
I am sure if you read this thread you will find what you are looking for.

For me, the perfect SUV would have the off roading capabilities of Pajero, Interiors of Endeavour, Handling of Forester, Ride of Safari, Imposing stance like that of Endeavour or Safari and a Price tag of less than 15L on Road .
Old 19th November 2007, 15:54   #144
BHPian

For me the perfect SUV needs to have the best of both worlds (City & OTR).

1. Nimble thru traffic and the occasional boulders.
2. Not too Big (About the same external size, Length & Width of the NHC, as the LWB offered on most Indian SUV's are prone to being impailed on rocks or ridges & bulky in city traffic).
3. Less than 8 lacs,..that way you wouldn't think twice about going off-road, or fixing whats broken.
4. Huge GC at least 210 mm, with a high set seating position.
5. Torquey Diesel with a 1lac km warranty a definite advantage.
6. Seating for 5, with reasonable luggage space(~450 lts).

You know what I am driving at a current Generation Suzuki Jimny with a Multijet Diesel !

I know what y'all gonna say. Dream on !!

Last edited by Torque-ative : 19th November 2007 at 15:55.
Old 19th November 2007, 17:02   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The new Grand Vitara comes closest to this definition. When this thread was active (before today that is), the new Grand Vitara was yet to hit the Indian market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
For me the perfect SUV needs to have the best of both worlds (City & OTR).

1. Nimble thru traffic and the occasional boulders.
2. Not too Big (About the same external size, Length & Width of the NHC, as the LWB offered on most Indian SUV's are prone to being impailed on rocks or ridges & bulky in city traffic).
3. Less than 8 lacs,..that way you wouldn't think twice about going off-road, or fixing whats broken.
4. Huge GC at least 210 mm, with a high set seating position.
5. Torquey Diesel with a 1lac km warranty a definite advantage.
6. Seating for 5, with reasonable luggage space(~450 lts).
The GV fullfills all the above except points 3 and 5. That's the closest any SUV can come to your needs. But the price point you are looking at is a dream scenerio, I have looked at that price point almost a whole year and found nothing.

P.S: I might sound biased towards GV specially considering I own it, but being the only GV owner on board I can't hold my silence. The only two things that go against it are price and FE.
Old 19th November 2007, 17:51   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Aren't you asking for toooo much? That's the dream SUV you've just outlined for the Indian roads & conditions.
It's quite possible if any of the car makers decide to do that however they are all focussed on small cars right now. Can't blame them, that's where the volumes are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai
The new Grand Vitara comes closest to this definition. When this thread was active (before today that is), the new Grand Vitara was yet to hit the Indian market.
It does indeed when it comes to intrinsic capabilities like off-roading, ride and handling etc but there are two very subjective parameters in my list, exteriors and interiors. GV doesn't appeal to me on both those counts. Beauty is in the eye of beerholder .
Old 19th November 2007, 18:30   #147
Team-BHP Support

being a maruti owner hope am also not being biased BUT i truly believe that GV indeed is the closest or else its the Endy for me.
Old 19th November 2007, 19:44   #148
Senior - BHPian

Endy is not worth, it suspension system is very very basic.

Anyways GV lacks something which a SUV requires, a diesel powerplant. Somehow a petrol SUV doesnot make sense to me.
Old 19th November 2007, 20:07   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Endy is not worth, it suspension system is very very basic.
Yeah, can't believe they have leaf springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Anyways GV lacks something which a SUV requires, a diesel powerplant. Somehow a petrol SUV doesnot make sense to me.
I too believed this for a long time and discounted GV. But if you take out the FE concern, then it doesn't make sense. Actually I want to know what is wrong about petrol SUV other than FE. Please provide facts, not mere opinions.
Old 19th November 2007, 20:20   #150
Senior - BHPian

Samurai there are two reasons why i say diesels are better for SUVS.

Firstly petrols are gas guzzlers.

Secondly diesels have more torque, which is required while off road, not that the petrol is inadequate, but the diesel gives you that extra bit.

As a SUV the GV is very good, very good quality(safai lacks quality), good interiors, good ride, good handling but if they had a diesel then this would be the perfect SUV.

Edit (from this thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Diesels have more torque lower down. And that helps when chugging along highways with 7 people on board. Depreciation. The diesel powerplant will be better adapted to highway fuel adulteration than the petrol. SUV = Diesel = Character.

Last edited by BUSA : 19th November 2007 at 20:30.

Most Viewed