Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which nationality auto manufacturer knows India best?
Koreans 58 32.04%
Japanese 110 60.77%
Germans 7 3.87%
Italians 4 2.21%
French 0 0%
Americans 1 0.55%
British 1 0.55%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2006, 16:26   #1
BHPian

What nationality car manufacturer knows India best?

We have had car companies from many countries.. Who knows how to do business in India the best???
Hyundai has completed 10 years, Suzuki has completed a good number of years.. Who has learnt to adapt themselves the best to succeed in satisfying the Indian customer's needs?
1. Japanese
- Honda
- Toyota
- Suzuki (though some may claim it was half Indian)
- Mitsubishi (somewhat similar to suzuki - Hindustan motors probably had a lot more say to their fortune in India)

2. Koreans
- Hyundai
- Daewoo

3. Germans
- Opel
- Mercedes

4. Italians
- Fiat ( I would consider PAL more Indian)

5. French
- Peugeot

6. Americans
- GM
- Ford

7 British

Last edited by rangaraj : 25th May 2006 at 16:30.
Old 25th May 2006, 16:30   #2
BHPian

It is Japanese and Koreans. They provide what exactly indians want to buy.
Old 25th May 2006, 17:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Tata anyone?..............................
Old 25th May 2006, 17:39   #4
BHPian

The Japanese and Koreans provide the right cars for the Indian market. The Japanese cars have greater snob value though.
Old 25th May 2006, 17:41   #5
BHPian

[SIZE=2]Japanese (and then Korean) - who has got doubts? [/SIZE]
Old 25th May 2006, 17:49   #6
BHPian

The Japanese and Koreans lead here. However, I would say that the Koreans have offered more to us than the Japs have. They may have failed on some instances, but have had definitely more success in reading our minds.

Hence my vote for the Koreans.
Old 25th May 2006, 17:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wonder why India isn't mentioned in the list. TATA is a company that has been providing us with the Indica range of cars which is being bettered year-by-year.

The best among these have to be the Japanese and Koreans. To be precise: Suzuki, Honda and Hyundai. They have done a very good job and it reflects on their sales figures.

However,
among the above mentioned, the worst company would be Peugeot. Peugeot entered the Indian market by introducing the 309 in collaboration with PAL. No doubt, that they had one of the best diesel engines of that time, but overall the company wasn't properly organized. The company had a lot of differences with its partners and eventually pulled out. Thw company just left the country without any notice. According to sources:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rediff.com
The company had, in fact, pulled out of India without resolving several key issues, which include outstanding to financial institutions, vendors and even booking advances.
Moreover, Peugeot doesn't seem to be interested in the Indian market. Even if they do, I doubt they would be popular judging by their past habits. This is what the company announced:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rediff.com
Automobile Peugeot's global spokesman Paul Alvarez, said India was a ''forgotten and buried market as far as Peugeot cars are concerned.'' ''We had a failed adventure in India and do not intend to venture back to the market having burnt our fingers there.''
Old 25th May 2006, 17:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

I would have to go with the Koreans (Hyundai). I dont agree with the fact that the Japanese know the market better. They (Suzuki) have been here a long time and had the right products from the beginning. If they (the Japanese cos) wanted they could have kind of wiped out most of Hyundais gains but they did not. Imagine what would have happened if Honda /Toyota did not sell their cars at that premium.
Old 25th May 2006, 18:08   #9
BHPian

The Koreans have given the Japs a run for their money ever since they entered the market. It was only after Hyundai entered, that Suzuki had some proper competition from a foreign manufacturer.
Old 25th May 2006, 18:12   #10
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Koreans offcourse.... They brought the CRDi for the comman man. And nothing beats the Hyundais in VFM.
Old 25th May 2006, 18:32   #11
BHPian

Why no Indian manufacturers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
Wonder why India isn't mentioned in the list. TATA is a company that has been providing us with the Indica range of cars which is being bettered year-by-year.

The best among these have to be the Japanese and Koreans. To be precise: Suzuki, Honda and Hyundai. They have done a very good job and it reflects on their sales figures.

However,
among the above mentioned, the worst company would be Peugeot. Peugeot entered the Indian market by introducing the 309 in collaboration with PAL. No doubt, that they had one of the best diesel engines of that time, but overall the company wasn't properly organized. The company had a lot of differences with its partners and eventually pulled out. Thw company just left the country without any notice. According to sources:

Moreover, Peugeot doesn't seem to be interested in the Indian market. Even if they do, I doubt they would be popular judging by their past habits. This is what the company announced:
The reason for Indians not being there is that we ought to know best about what the Indians want!!! So disrespect to Indian auto manufacturers!

Given that, it was more a perspective of who are the ferangs who know us best? Who knows what product mix will sell best? Who prices their products best for the Indian pocket? Who delivers the best VFM?

I guess there will be a division of who knows the Indian middleclass best? Who knows the Indian rich best? But then the poll is on ;-)..
Old 25th May 2006, 19:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Japanese knows Indian market best. They are all accross the place, cars, bikes, LCVs, Generators, Fishing engines etc

Perhaps the only place they lost the bus was LCV category, TATA 407 just blew off Nissan, Mitsubishi, Mazda & Toyota to smitters. Are any of these still in the indian LCV market?
Old 25th May 2006, 19:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Moreover, Peugeot doesn't seem to be interested in the Indian market.
Even if they do, I doubt they would be popular judging by their past habits. This is what the company announced:[/quote]

They thought they could sell outdated cars and make the cash register ring!!!!!!!! They got what they deserved. What sells in Africa doesnt sell in India. Their marketing gurus perhaps forgot that.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 25th May 2006 at 19:14.
Old 25th May 2006, 19:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Tata anyone?..............................
Tatas dreamt of laughing all the way by cutting trucks to size to make cars. But they were quick to realise that Indian middle class wants proper cars and not truck converts like the Americans.
The V2 and Indigo are decent cars, from what I have heard from their owners.
Old 25th May 2006, 19:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

It depends on the segment.

If you are talking about B segmet its Hyundai/Tata/Suzuki
Lower C segment its again Hyundai / Honda / Ford (Late)
Upper C segment its Skoda / Honda
just an offtopic view

Hyundai never had the right products for India , but they were always right on how to make people think that they have the right car and their marketing is a testimony for that fact (by this I dont mean their cars are bad , what I mean is their cars are meant more for a developed country with a good ntework of roads where weaker suspensions becomes no cause of worry) . Indian cars needs to be robust like a Ford/Fiat but hyundai came with their Accent easily captured the segment for a while purely coz of marketing statergy and right now after the launch of Crdi people are singing Hallelujah ! in the name of Hyundai , . Santro is another case , where its all about service . Fiat should have crushed the segment (Leaving aside the gen eral service of Fiat which surely is a concern among most ) with their Palio being a great car not just for looks , its safe , its good to drive , its solid and it has great engine options if someone is interested in spirited driving , instead Palio was crushed ...f@#$%...s@#$$ big time by santro . I mean one is doing 12000 units a month , and the other one barely 600 . I am a Fiat fan and I regret to say that their problem is the opposite of santro
Fiat always had the right product for India , but sadly they were never right on how to make people aware of the fact that they have a great car , their sales chart is a testimony for that fact

Last edited by maxbhp : 25th May 2006 at 19:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks