Team-BHP - Nissan to Recall Micra and Sunny Sedan in India, to Replace Brake Master Cylinder
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Nissan to Recall Micra and Sunny Sedan in India, to Replace Brake Master Cylinder (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/136817-nissan-recall-micra-sunny-sedan-india-replace-brake-master-cylinder.html)

Japanese carmaker Nissan Motor India has recalled 22,188 of its Micra hatchback and Sunny sedan produced at its Chennai plant to replace the master brake cylinder.

Source :http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/20241395.cms

Nissan's statement on what the problem is (as told to the Times of India):

Quote:

When operating the system, under light braking force, the customer may experience longer brake travel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 3130522)
Japanese carmaker Nissan Motor India has recalled 22,188 of its Micra hatchback and Sunny sedan produced at its Chennai plant to replace the master brake cylinder.

Source :http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/20241395.cms

Well one more manufacturer joins the bandwagon. I am surprised by one fact, aren't these defects caught in homologation/testing phase of the vehicles. Why are customers made scapegoats or test subjects ? I mean 22K vehicles amount for atleast 3/4 cars sold by Nissan (Micra and Sunny only), that means every car out of that factory a problem and was not detected earlier.

Rather than just free replacement there should be some monetary implication on the manufacturer, or a stop in production till all those 22K cars are taken care of. This will then force companies to do a strict and through test on products.

Nissan India said:
Quote:

Quote:

Nissan India also said that no accidents, injuries or deaths have been reported so far
How can they be so sure about it, there is one Micra Head On Crash with Truck thread on Team-BHP itself. There might be many other which go unreported and treated as driver's fault.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ash-truck.html

It may be driver's fault in this thread also but one can never rule out of the fault of defective master brake cylinder (since Nissan India themselves acknowledging it to be defective).

Thanks for sharing!

I'm just hoping that the new master cylinder solves the brake's woeful response. Right now, it's a major disadvantage with the diesel Sunny / Micra. You don't feel it in the petrol due to its lower torque, but unfamiliar drivers in the Sunny diesel go :Shockked: :Shockked: the first time they get behind the wheel.

Will send the car over & update.

Nissan is a manufacturer of very high esteem and repute, Perhaps second only to Toyota in many markets.

These glitches and recalls keep happening, nothing extraordinary, Ford had recalled its Explorer and Mercury Forester SUV, Landcruiser Prado had some problems in the rear axle shaft and it was replaced under recall. All this for the safety of the customer but yes inconvenient of course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikrantj (Post 3130536)
Well one more manufacturer joins the bandwagon. I am surprised by one fact, aren't these defects caught in homologation/testing phase of the vehicles. Why are customers made scapegoats or test subjects ? I mean 22K vehicles amount for atleast 3/4 cars sold by Nissan (Micra and Sunny only), that means every car out of that factory a problem and was not detected earlier.

Rather than just free replacement there should be some monetary implication on the manufacturer, or a stop in production till all those 22K cars are taken care of. This will then force companies to do a strict and through test on products.

Let us instead thank the company for initiating the recall. In a country like India where consumer care laws are nearly non-existent and where things like basic safety of passengers are left to the mercy of the manufacturing company, this is welcome news.

How do we know which batch of cars are included in the recall? Mine is Sunny diesel , April 2012 make. Does it need the replacement?

Only a blank page on Nissan India website till now.

http://www.nissan.in/en/web/header/header_22483.htm

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 3130610)
How do we know which batch of cars are included in the recall? Mine is Sunny diesel , April 2012 make. Does it need the replacement?

You should wait for their official press release - bookmark that link above. Nissan will mention specific references such as a range of VIN, engine or chassis numbers. Cross check it with yours - if it falls within that range or matches a specific number mentioned in their list, take it to the service centre.

This is bound to affect Nissan's sales and might even deter/scare away probable customers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gannu_1 (Post 3130653)

This is bound to affect Nissan's sales and might even deter/scare away probable customers.

I can not agree to this though. As per me, the company is committed to fix issues proactively, rather than leaving them to customers. It creates confidence in company that they will not forget you once they sold you the product.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetrolRider (Post 3130680)
I can not agree to this though. As per me, the company is committed to fix issues proactively, rather than leaving them to customers. It creates confidence in company that they will not forget you once they sold you the product.

+1. This in fact boosts confidence on the company than anything else. Toyota is again number 1 right after loosing it to VW last year?

These guys at least acknowledge an issue on their car instead of ignoring it like some Indian manufacturers do.

OT:
Whats on Maruti Ertiga steering response failure? 3 cases noticed so far with a combination of both petrol and diesel.

VW/Skoda DSG problems - recalled in China sometime back but not in India?
http://www.team-bhp.com/news/vw-reca...-why-not-india

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetrolRider (Post 3130680)

That was just a random though! :)

An auto enthusiast or someone who is well versed in the auto sector may not be worried (or perhaps less worried) knowing the reputation of Nissan. But consider this - the average Joe who goes largely by the catalogue, sales figures and hearsay from his friends, colleagues and relatives would be discouraged knowing a good Japanese car manufacturer had to recall a batch of cars because of a bad part and/or workmanship.

A casual talk over the lunch between two guys would go something like this:

A: Hey, weren't you planning to book a Sunny this weekend?

B: Yeah, what's up?

A: I read an article in Economic Times today morn about Nissan recalling a batch of Sunny and Micra cars.

B: Oh damn! I had almost zeroed down to buy a Sunny diesel XV. Looks like I might have to up the budget and get myself a Vento TDI. I wonder why is it that it is always the Japs. that do most of the recalls?!

A: Yeah it might be a good idea to stay away from Nissan for now.

I hope you are getting what I am trying to say here.

OTOH, someone who appreciates good customer support and has faith in the manufacturer may not swayed away as a result of this recall. Several other manufacturers have done recalls before - Toyota, Mazda, Honda, Hyundai, Maruti, Tata among others. Some for a smaller issue such as brake light switch faults whereas some others for more severe ones such as airbag faults, brake lines etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ganesc (Post 3130712)
OT:

VW/Skoda DSG problems - recalled in China sometime back but not in India?
http://www.team-bhp.com/news/vw-reca...-why-not-india

That's because VW were ordered to recall this in China after some investigations by an official agency. Why would they recall this in India without any such directive?

We should appreciate Nissan for taking this bold step during already testing business conditions.

This greatly increases my respect towards the brand and I am sure there are others in the forum who will have similar opinions. I test drove the sunny (petrol) before buying my current car. Liked everything except low power and NVH levels (my palio was much smoother)

Good going Nissan...

Agree with many comments, my respect for Nissan as a brand has gone up! Way to go, keep it up.

It is good to see the preference given to us in India similiar to other countries especially on recalls. I do not mind getting a newer model late but recalls regarding safety, should be at the same time - as value for life should be equal for all!