Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2006, 11:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Ford...For making Mondeo very expensive and maintaining it even more expensive.

If they had built the car here and sold it at lesser price, it would have been neck to neck with Accord. Same goes to Opel Vectra too.

Agree with GTO, Maruti should have replaced Zen and esteem long long ago.. If they had done that, Hyundai's flagship cars Santro and Accent would have been history by now.

HM Mitsubishi for not upgrading the Lancer in the last 3 - 4 years.

Not updating a great product with the market trend is bigger blunder than unable to launch a great car.
Old 26th May 2006, 11:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj
Undoubtably the combination of PAL and HM. Between them, they had India's market and they took it for granted. Continued to flog obsolete cars and in the day and age of people travelling and communication, .....
If my knowledge is right, Govt. norms were not as flexible as they were today during the days of HM and PAL. Launching a new car is not an easier task with getting all the required permissions.

Is it true that Tata wanted to launch Honda Accord in India in late 80s but couldn't?
Old 26th May 2006, 11:17   #18
BHPian

I guess we have to look at it segment wise... Ford and GM are not known to be big players in the A and B segments thus they were not big players for a long time in India. These segments were always dominated by Japs and Koreans worldwide, thus the success of Maruti and Hyundai.

Honda was successful because they only focussed on the C segment, similarly Toyota was successful because they only focussed on Qualis. Maruti never focussed on C segment in the past because they were too busy being the market leader in A and B segment, thus Baleno never realy took off.

You see Ford and GM getting more aggressive in India because of the sudden growth of C segment, where they have decent offerings. It is going to be exciting from now on!

Cheers!
Old 26th May 2006, 11:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharth_j
Okay Max....2 good points.

The Tavera....hmmmmmm....debatable, cos it is selling decent number of units monthly. It could have been brought in while the qualis ruled the roost. but wasn't...any one here know why?

The Standard 2000 failed cos of the problems with the Standard Motor company and the Indian Govt. Also; it was overpriced...i think it sold for 2-3 lakhs at a time the M800 sold for Rs.70,000
I am sorry , I included Rover coz someone mentioned about Rd350 , lets stick to post 1995 only.
Old 26th May 2006, 11:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

two words.
San Storm
Old 26th May 2006, 11:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

San Storm is not a blunder because there is nothing about it that would have made it a winner.

I would say it's a looser.
Old 26th May 2006, 11:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx
two words.
San Storm
very well said , and to some extent you are absolutely right..... time will tell us the rest.
Old 26th May 2006, 11:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Another thing is Opel bringing in their Vectra. Spotting one is like spotting an exotic.

And Ford with its Mondeo, getting the new model also didn't help one bit.
Old 26th May 2006, 11:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
San Storm is not a blunder because there is nothing about it that would have made it a winner.

I would say it's a looser.
It had a decent engine for that time , The problem was with body ... I mean fibre finished body looked more like a toy car than a sports car, if at all it was mean to be one . And I guess they hadnt worked out the financial part well coz they are right now hunting for finance...KF . Indian crowd is getting more and more broad minded by the day , so I guess it would have done reasonably well had the product been designed more carefully.
Old 26th May 2006, 11:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
Another thing is Opel bringing in their Vectra. Spotting one is like spotting an exotic.

And Ford with its Mondeo, getting the new model also didn't help one bit.
Opel Vectra is a great car and they spoilt it but I guess that wasnt much of blunder coz I dont think they have invested much in that project , even advertising was minimal . Even if they had .. I dont think Vectra suited our market.

Mondeo yes , thats right coz Mondeo really deserved to win , they simply couldnt provide the secure feeling for the buyer .News about problems with Electric Seats , Music system seemed to have spread faster than a forest fire across the car affacianados.
Old 26th May 2006, 12:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

well i guess the blunder bit for the San Storm was strategic, not so much in the product. A first time, unknown, inexperienced (in carmaking, selling) manufacturer starts out to produce cars in what was rapidly becoming a more competitive, discerning market, and launches a super-niche product without any clue to consumer grade automotive engineering or quality control. In other words giving the customer everything they dont need/want.
Old 26th May 2006, 12:20   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi
I agree, but then again look at the circumstances. Even in recent past we all were made to understand that the price difference between Petrol and Diesel would go away. So we can not say they made a blunder.

They make fine petrol engines, about diesel??? I would wait for atleast a year after a original suzuki diesel is launched, before I decide anything about it.
Looking from another angle, its still a blunder. Maruti is losing out on a number of diesel clients simply because they are not efficient in that area. So, Once an erstwhile Maruti client gets hooked onto a Hyundai or a Tata, it becomes that much more difficult for Maruti to attract him back again.
Old 26th May 2006, 12:45   #28
BHPian

@ prabuddhadg

well, how can you call it a blunder? Yes I agree with you that once a customer goes away it is really dificult to bring them back, but see the circumstances. The mistake they made is to believe like us, when told that petrol and diesel prices would not be artificially controlled and went on producing the engines they produce best.

Yes if they had a good diesel they may had also given tata Indica/go a run for money, but then these are mainly used for tour operaters. That is the reson tata came out with xeta, to crush maruti in its home turf.

when hiring a car would you prefer a Indigo for its comfy back seats or a esteem with crampy interiors?? same with Indigo and 800/alto/zen/wagon R. For the last one the ride is not as good as in the Indica.

Yes they really blundered with the versa as well as the baleno with the pricing. The killed them in the bud. If they had launched them at a price they are offering now. Both would have been success.
Old 26th May 2006, 12:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

What about Baleno Altura and the Corsa Swing, and not to forget the Octavia Combi. Station wagons just dont' sell in India. Not at all suited for the market..
Old 26th May 2006, 13:01   #30
BHPian

I think that Toyota has also committed a big blunder by withdrawing Qualis from the market.

It was selling like hot cakes and I doubt if Innova can keep up with the sales standard set by Qualis.

Second blunder that Toyota has probably committed is not having launced a small car till now.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks