Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2013, 22:46   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Renault Scala and Pulse recalled to replace brake master cylinders

And just as expected, Renault has also announced a voluntary recall for the Scala and the Pulse over the same issue as Nissan Sunny and Micra.

Quote:
Given that the Scala and the Pulse are badge engineered siblings of the Sunny and the Micra respectively, it’s obvious that the problem will plague all the four cars alike.

The recall program will cover the Scalas and Pulses that are manufactured between June 1, 2012 and March 15, 2013. Renault has built 2,836 Pulses and 4,180 Scalas in that period.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/Autos/...1-1067463.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th May 2013 at 22:53.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2013, 10:10   #2
BHPian

Re: Renault Scala and Pulse recalled to replace brake master cylinders

Renault India has issued a recall for its Pulse hatchback and Scala sedan, says Oncars.in. The recall for 7016 cars made at the Oragadam plant in Chennai is for replacement of a faulty master brake cylinder. 2,836 Pulse and 4,180 Scala cars will be affected and these customers may experience longer pedal travel when braking.

Renault has said that dealers will replace the master brake cylinder free of cost and that it would not take more than 40 minutes to change the brake cylinder and its fluid. The recall follows on the heels of Nissan's recall of 22,188 Micra hatchbacks and Sunny sedans.

The Pulse and Scala are badge-engineered versions (sold only in India) of the Micra and Sunny respectively.

Related News Item

Renault Scala and Pulse recalled to replace brake master cylinders-renaultscala10.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 29th May 2013 at 11:17. Reason: Updating credit
Redline6800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2013, 10:33   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
Renault India has issued a recall for its Pulse hatchback and Scala sedan,
=======================
Related News Item

Attachment 1089536
I own the Scala RxZ and when I called Trident Renault in Bangalore this morning (29-05-2013), the person who took the call said they haven't received any official intimation yet. He only acknowledged that Sunny and Micra were recalled for the brake cylinder issue. Guess media has picked up the communication faster than the dealers!
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:23   #4
BHPian

I own a Renault Scala RXL Diesel and called the dealer in Pune after seeing this news. As expected the dealership was clueless. I then called up Customer care. They were responsive and checked my VIN against the list of recalls. They confirmed that this was announced on 1/June only and I will have to wait for intimation from my dealer.
Meanwhile they also confirmed that I can continue to use the vehicle as I have been using it now - with defective breaks!!! and that Renault was doing this only because they were dissatisfied with the quality of the product.
The only saving grace is that they at-least had the gumption to recall and fix the issue rather than gloat over it and put lives at risk.

Great move Renault!
Old 15th July 2013, 14:51   #5
BHPian

Last weekend I took my scala to get the MBC replaced. The appoitment was at Roharsh motors in Wagholi.
Made an appointment and was promptly assured of a spot
Reached on time 10:00 AM on Saturday and was met by the Customer Contact person - Pradeep. After a very warm welcome, I was asked to wait in the customer lounge. It was here that I started getting a taste of Renault's legendary pathetic A$$.
I had requested this to be clubbed with my first service. it took the folks about couple of hours of running around the workshop like headless chickens before they got my car in the bay. I had requested an oil change so my car was hoisted on the ramp and oil was emptied. Then there was again an hour of complete disarray before they could locate a oil filter and oil while my car was suspended mid-air. Then the car was brought down to make way for another car to be hoisted. They just had 2 hoists in the workshop. My car was then manually hoisted atop 4 "ghodas" for further processing.
Then started the MBC replacement. This was a pretty straight-forward affair with the technician completing it in under 30 mins. As part of this, they had to empty the brake fluid and also circulate it manually. This, once done we went for a drive to check the performance.
The performance of the brakes definitely has improved. the long play before the brakes bit has been resolved. I now have greater confidence - but would not rate them best in class.
Then came the washing and cleaning that was just about OK and the car was ready to be delivered.
The bill was in the range of what was provided as estimate and then I saw the small print - was that I was charged for Brake Fluid that had to be replenished as part of the MBC replacement. When questioned, they told me that this was a consumable but would be struck off from my bill. After another 10 minutes of getting approvals, I was told that this was a valid charge and that I had to pay it ... after 8 hours in the workshop, I was in no mood to argue about a Rs. 107 item and I just paid and left. Oh wait - they didn't even have a card payment facility which I would consider ridiculous.
Overall, the experience reinforced my convictions on Renault's A$$. They really have a long way to go ... and they can start by trying to just send their key folks for training at the DSK Toyota service center.
From a readiness perspective - thank god they don't sell in large numbers else it would be a disaster
Facilities - I was told that with the Baner Service station coming online, the experience would be better, but with very limited leadership, I am not very confident
On the car and my first service, I continue to be happy and also duly impressed by the performance of the workhorse. Glad I took the decision to buy the Scala. No regrets on that front.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks