Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2013, 10:40   #31
BHPian

Re: No DIY Car Washes in India - Why?

Consider this, I take my car to a local garage where they charge 100 rupees for cleaning and vacuuming the car. They use high pressure 'water jet to clean the exterior and employs 2-3 men for the whole process.The cleaning is top notch if done on a not so busy weekday. For a whole interior detailing with roof cleaning they charge 250. However I wax my car on weekends myself.

Now why would go to a DIY even if they charge 100 rupees since at that price I am having 2-3 'professionals' clean my car. 50$ is my yearly expenditure for cleaning my car.

Last edited by saion666 : 1st June 2013 at 10:42.
Old 1st June 2013, 12:19   #32
BHPian

Well if such a service is available in India would be nice.As pointed out by many most of live in apartments where we dont have facilities to wash the Car properlyIf such places are available we can take it there and get it cleaned once in 15 days or a month as per need.
Saion666 50$ in US is like 50 rs for us if you go around doing an exchange value obviously it will look big.In India we know for a fact the service we get is equal or lesser to the amount you pay.Considering 50$ for the entire job is pretty much cheap. Let me tell you 3M charges 1000 rs for exterior wash and wax polish with interior vacuuming
Old 1st June 2013, 19:56   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Before moving to Delhi we lived in Kansas City, Missouri. We had three cars; Ford Focus, Jeep Cherokee and a Jaguar XJR.

There were many different car washes around town. From very simple DIY ones to very elobarate ones;

Just to give you some idea:

This was the one I used the most. It was near where we lived. They had two guys hosing your car down with high pressure washers, then it went through this automatic was tunnel and when you came out they had four guys hand drying your car. All for $13 and literally done in minutes

http://www.allseasonscarwash.org

At the other side of the spectrum: http://www.vipcarwashkc.com

If I wanted to give myself/my car a treat I usually went to one of these places:

http://www.waterway.com

For $30 you get a great car wash and the valet your car inside as well. You could buy coupons which sort of worked like by 10 cars wash/valets and the 11th is free of charge.

You could also become a member and for something like $500 per year you could use the car wash unlimited.

Here another one with some interesting packages/prices:

http://www.allseasonswash.com/wash.html

And of course on youtube you can see how all of this works, or better yet, fails!

Enjoy:
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 20:35   #34
BHPian

Good thread ScoprioB, but 60k is way too little. A lot of things like space, water, approach has to be considered. At the current rates what one would have to pay EB also comes into the picture.

This is for those of us who love the pleasure of taking care and pampering our rides.

There is a simpler route, find a carwash (nearest to your residence), talk to the manager, take your shampoo, they will let you do it yourself. Polish your car once you are back home.

If that does not work for one, get an aquatrac or something similar from eureka forbes. Or consider a small compressor.
Old 2nd June 2013, 15:48   #35
BHPian

My personal experience with the DIY sucked. One would have to feed the machine coins and inevitably half way through the wash, it would run out and you'd have to feed more coins.. The whole wash ended up costing twice as much as you expected.

The DIY car wash trend has pretty much sunset, even in the US. In Los Angeles there were a few about 10 years ago. Now they have been replaced by full service car washes. Where most of washing is done by machine as the car moves along tracks and then wiped down and interiors/wheels cleaned by hand. All for the princely sum for around $10. and it comes with a rain guarantee..

If it rains withing 24hours, you are entitled to a free car wash.. How can you beat that!
Old 2nd June 2013, 17:49   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman View Post
If it rains withing 24hours, you are entitled to a free car wash.. How can you beat that!
That's right, forgot about that rain guarantee. Some of them are valid up to 48 hours even.

Jeroen
Old 2nd June 2013, 20:17   #37
BHPian

I guess there is a DIY car wash in Bangalore near Koramangala Bosh. They are asking customers to come and experience the Bosch products. Has anyone given it a try?
Old 3rd June 2013, 16:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knownstrangerr View Post
Well if such a service is available in India would be nice.As pointed out by many most of live in apartments where we dont have facilities to wash the Car properlyIf such places are available we can take it there and get it cleaned once in 15 days or a month as per need.
A gap of 15-20 days would be acceptable only when one dry dusts their car everyday. Else, one can't go on even for a week in our conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knownstrangerr View Post
Saion666 50$ in US is like 50 rs for us if you go around doing an exchange value obviously it will look big.In India we know for a fact the service we get is equal or lesser to the amount you pay.
Not really, a McD burger doesn't cost them $60-100, does it? Of course a direct exchange might not make sense but $50 there is definitely not equal to 50 rupees here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks