Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2013, 16:40   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: May 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

As always a great informative and well compiled thread about the state of affairs in our auto industry.

Though the industry is in a sea of downturn all around, a small attempt (just IMO) to see how some of the automakers have an ace up their sleeve or can make some course correction so that they can buck the down trend and gain a bigger chunk of sales in the near future.

GM Enjoy-

Shipping over 2000 copies in the initial months, if properly supported by sales and marketing can maintain these numbers or even go over 3k. This with an average of 1.5-2k numbers of Tavera can garner a good chunk of the UV market albeit in the commercial segment.

Fiat Punto-

The sales charts are looking up with exclusive dealer network unfolding and confidence coming back to customers, this model is the only bet right now that deserves more numbers if supported by a mid life facelift with some new features etc.

Ford Ecosport-

The only word around Ford these days is the Ecosport for sure, this has the potential to ship 5 digit numbers by itself and even taking Ford to top 5 positions if priced right and demand fulfilled with increased deliveries.

HM Amby-

Yes the good ole Amby will bring in numbers when it starts selling in many cities with BS4 and may even breach the 4 digit mark. There are reports of a sub 4m version which may help its cause further.

Honda Amaze-

Amaze shipment over 6k might be sustained in the coming months as there is huge interest in the car with its superb diesel motor. Hope they are able to keep up the production and improve it further to meet the huge demand else the customers may go else where rather than wait.

Hyundai Santro-

That is correct, if given a decent facelift this superbly practical hatch can easily double its volumes giving its age old arch rival the Wagon R some good competition. Till then it seems that the lower variants of the i10 will bring in some customers for Hyundai.

Mahindra XUV500-

With the launch of lower variants could be a good spurt in sales considering it to be an aspirational brand and a smart design which could bring it back to its original numbers. However it may be at the cost of its older sibling the Scorpio.

Maruti Swift -

The star of the Maruti pack, it has been declining gradually due to its bigger brother Dzire and issues relating to bad brakes etc. Already a brand with huge appeal, if they correct these issues and offer it with some nifty features to make it a VFM product, it should see it regain its old glory of nearly 20k.

Maruti Alto800-

This is clearly slipping from its original perch. Wonder why they really discontinued the older Alto 800. Bring it back on and see how the sales charts zoom to the +25k mark with combined sales of Alto-A800-K10

Nissan Duster twin-

The un-named Duster twin seems to be the only potential model that may bring cheer to the company. It may bring in some good numbers to compliment its twin and to the brand

Renault Duster -

The Duster is going strong month on month, however with the avalanche called Ecosport, they need to push for the mid variants which offer the most value and not continue to have a high handed approach to sustain the 5k figure.

Skoda Rapid-

Come to think of it Rapid should sell more than Vento. Period. Afterall its the same car, at a better price and value point. Wonder what is stopping people to buy a SK vs VW. Do what ever it takes to sell this car rapidly.

Tata Nano-

A lot spoken about not only this lil car but the company as a whole. Nano has the biggest potential to up the sales chart. The 2013 Nano holds a lot of promise. Seems like the current stocks are being cleared to get this in. The new model year version should incorporate some of the changes that people have been looking for such as integrated glovebox, openable hatch and other fuel options. If it become more conventional, the sales will also follow hopefully clocking over 5k mark.

Toyota Innova-

Agreed that the Innova is the biggest cash cow for the big T. The main issue is that there are many new people carriers that does 70% of its job at 70% of its price read Xylo, Ertiga and now Enjoy. Innova should have more VFM variants at lower price points to draw back these customers and regain a couple or more thousand numbers in sales.

VW Polo-

Lets accept it, Polo with VW brand draws immense following and worth of much higher sales. A big fly in the plan are those 3 pot motors that do not do justice to the superb structure of the car. VW please bring in some good motors at sensible prices and see how this one zooms off the showrooms.
Old 5th June 2013, 16:46   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's always amazing to note how many Honda City Cars are sold month after month in perspective of the diesel-petrol breakup.
Old 5th June 2013, 17:13   #63
BHPian

Thanks for this highly anticipated thread, GTO

The Forbes article was stunning! After reading it, there were no big surprises. Its quite obvious to the outside world that everything at TML is wrong. And that shows on the sloppy product line-up/pipeline.

What confuses me is how, with a plethora of IIM/hot shot MBA grads being recruited every year into TML alone, TAS, and with their apparent good leadership practices, they still don't figure out that a capable product-line is the ONLY answer. And if its not going that way, then there is a serious problem with the HR and Recruitment & grooming policies. A high school kid can figure this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post

Should TATA also go the Infosys way and call back Ratan TATA
If they do, it wouldn't hurt.

But the move should be exclusively for TML. Chairing the whole Tata Group, though a visionary, he had way more than what he could handle in his plate. As the Forbes article rightly points out, RT is an auto enthusiast. Hence, he is the right person to be at the helm of ONLY TML, and leave the other companies to Mister Mistry.

After all, why should a die-hard auto enthusiast worry about salt and software anymore when his own auto company is at the brink of disaster?
Kwanza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 17:29   #64
Team-BHP Support

On a related note, I was travelling for better part of the last month. Driving up the country from down south all the way up to the NE. One consistent thing that I noticed everywhere is how the Bolero is so well entrenched. I said it so many times to myself "so, no wonder Bolero sells the numbers that it does".

All through Odisha, WB, North Bengal and Sikkim I saw only Boleros in different forms. 1000s of them. Looked to me like every 3rd one is a Bolero if it is public carrier available on rent and every 5th one is a Bolero if it is a personal vehicle in the deep interiors. Bolero, Bolero LWB, Bolero XL, Bolero FB, Bolero FB Pickup and then again Bolero ambulances, Bolero sales hut (I wonder who does these mods or is it M&M that sells these as well?). I even saw new Bolero Chassis being driven in convoys, probably headed for dealerships, ala trucks!

Its not surprising that Bolero numbers are what they are. Afterall everything in the interiors of India is a Bolero.

Last edited by Zappo : 5th June 2013 at 17:45.
Old 5th June 2013, 17:29   #65
Senior - BHPian

Noteworthy is the diesel share of the market and how much value for money is the deciding factor. However some cars like City, i20, Verna show people still like a good petrol car.
Old 5th June 2013, 17:32   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo77 View Post
It's always amazing to note how many Honda City Cars are sold month after month in perspective of the diesel-petrol breakup.
Yes. Makes me wonder how may more City's would be sold if they just plonk that Amaze diesel engine to City. Maybe a 110+ bhp tune to sweeten the deal
Old 5th June 2013, 17:34   #67
VMG
BHPian

Can somone provide Automatic car sales break up pl.
Old 5th June 2013, 17:43   #68
BHPian

As per the Fuel story chart, total numbers for Diesel seems to have shoot up three times than petrol! One more point noticed, no Petrol Laura sales in the entire month, all have preferred Diesel mills only!
Old 5th June 2013, 20:01   #69
BHPian

After a long while fiat figures are on rise .The new dedicated showrooms are beginning to attract customers .I wish more than i hope that fiat improves its tally and be force to reckon with in addition to engine supplier to the tatas and marutis .Lets see what next month has in store for it .
regards
praveen singh
Old 5th June 2013, 20:49   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzoomer View Post
Why is Bolero soo high in sales numbers ? Is it only the rural dominance of the vehicle or something else ?
I have the same question as well. Why?
An argument of buying a Bolero is favoured when your heart wins over the brain and I must confess I am one of them. If everything works out fine then I will have one of this beauty in my garage soon .

@GTO - Thanks for the outstanding analysis. I have often wondered how you get these numbers.

regards,
Sunil
Old 6th June 2013, 10:59   #71
BHPian

Dzire topping the charts!! Always thought this machine is a compromise in the areas of rear seat comfort and looks. Some things can happen only in India.

Amaze - Crippled by production constraints perhaps.

XUV - Thought this was beyond the hype. Sign of things to come?

Fiat - May be the slow and steady approach pay off in future. But they badly need a breath of fresh air in the form of a new model. Panda anyone?

Tata - Everything rests on Carl Slym now. A Tata product with refinement and fit and finish like i10 is what they need to turn the tables around. Lets wait and see.

The Europeans have to learn how to make their clutches light. A pain in the foot literally. Until then, it would be Japanese ruling this part of the world!
Old 6th June 2013, 14:42   #72
BHPian

I am always eagerly waiting for products that challenge the market leader and usher in healthy competition in the industry that benefit the end consumers. Honda with its Amaze and Ford with its Eco Sport are going to give good competition to Maruti and competitive alternatives to us customers. Coming months are going to be exciting and later with Nissan relaunching Datsun in the A-segment, they are going to challenge the leader head-on!

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing.

Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. I have left out some vehicles that have negligible impact in overall market share. Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.

Click on an image to enlarge / zoom:

May 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg

May 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg

May 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg

May 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg
jessie007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 19:06   #73
BHPian

Interesting figures. Thanks for putting this together. I was in China last week and saw the China numbers being published (with a one month lag). Here goes....

VW dominates
Attached Thumbnails
May 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-image2618748087.jpg  

May 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-image899317397.jpg  

car.lover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 20:26   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car.lover View Post
Interesting figures. Thanks for putting this together. I was in China last week and saw the China numbers being published (with a one month lag). Here goes....

VW dominates
VW to China is what Maruti is to India. They are one of the first groups to start operations there I think since the late 70's. I had once visited an automotive history museum in Shanghai where they had displayed classic VW models launched there since the 70's.
esma1981 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 22:39   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The competent Evalia is a disappointing flop..
News is Nissan has stopped production on Evalia and is working on upgraded version with twin Ac, sliding Windows etc. Infact a new variant will be launched with captain seats as well.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks