Team-BHP - Mahindra Verito Vibe : Launched @ Rs. 5.63 - 6.49 lakhs
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Mahindra Verito Vibe : Launched @ Rs. 5.63 - 6.49 lakhs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/137301-mahindra-verito-vibe-launched-rs-5-63-6-49-lakhs-4.html)

The sales numbers for Maruti Dzire say all that needs to be said about how much our market cares for aesthetics.

But I agree Vibe won't sell, not because it's any worse than what Maruti offers, but because of brand loyalties. People would rather buy a Maruti product that intentionally skimps on something as elementary as brakes, but won't venture out to buy something that's actual bang for their buck.

It seems like it'll be destroyed by the Liva in metros (similar engines and well sorted ride, 5-seater, identically priced base JD variant and cheaper top-end GD-SP variant which has an extra airbag and finally the T-badge and associated service quality). And for those who don't need a REAL 5-seater it also additionally has the Maruti Suzuki Ritz to worry about which is again identically priced (and comes with the tension-free Maruti branding).

Cabbies looking for hatches would still find the base variant too expensive (I haven't seen any Liva taxis around for the same reason) compared to the Indica eV2 and Indica Vista base variants (which I travel by on a daily basis). Cabbies would probably buy it if Mahindra can convince them that it is much bigger on the inside than the hatches but I doubt the passengers, especially those on airport runs would be too happy with the boot (unless Mahindra offers the cabbies special training).

Like someone pointed out above, other companies don't have as big a penetration in tier-2 and tier-3 cities as Mahindra/Maruti/Tata and Mahindra has a higher brand equity than Tata while Maruti lacks a comfortable 5-seater hatch so its the ONLY situation when the Vibe wins.

But at the end of the day, considering the fact that like the Quanto, the Vibe was realized at a minimal investment, methinks the limited sales opportunity shouldn't deter Mahindra from reaping handsome profits.

Till a few years ago everything M&M touched turned into gold.Even the Xylo had a 3 to 4 month waiting list, when launched in early 2009.
The Scorpio was also not available readily then.
They had played with the CJ 3B/ CJ 4A chassis in the 1990's and lengthened it. Each variant sold well worked and like a donkey - their cash registers were rockin'.
But now come competition, M&M has been taking some failures into its stride. The Quanto has not achieved any success, while the Xylo sales are progressively getting reduced. Another shocker is the XUV sales dropping by 50 % in May 2013.:Frustrati
In this backdrop, the company has launched the Vibe.
The Vibe will draw buyers from the taxi segment and among private owners who do not value "state of the art" technology.
Unfortunately, the sales may not be anything to be very optimistic about.The taxi segment will also get selective with the high price tag.
And the Swift is King of this segment come what may!:)

As many already said, decision on buying Verito or Verito Vibe is very subjective. Both does not appeal the youth crowd I would say but has takers for sure.

For me, I likedislike

Mahindra is sure facing challenging times, almost all their products barring the ever reliable Bolero are facing sales constraints, Iam not very optimistic of the success of the Vibe, it may sell some decent numbers initially and settle down

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashley2 (Post 3142043)
I thought Indica wouldn't have attracted investment not more than 800 to 900 crores. Hyundai Santro had equal investment during late 90s. Going by the way Tata chooses plant and machinery it should be cheaper than Hyundai. (

The Indica project had costed TM Rs. 1800 crores. The bill of the Italian design house IDEA alone was Rs. 80 crores.

The interiors look as old as a cave. In these times and within that kind of money, people are used to more posher interiors that definitely generate better vibes. The only things that are going for it are the space, comfort and ride, but they are bound to be overshadowed by the overall mediocrity and it's unintelligent design.

Even as a taxi, I'd like to think the regular Verito/Logan is still a better proposition because of it's bigger boot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by directinjection (Post 3142352)
The Indica project had costed TM Rs. 1800 crores. The bill of the Italian design house IDEA alone was Rs. 80 crores.

di

The total project cost you mention includes tooling and the cost of the plant. If am not mistaken, the cost of development was about 200 cr, including the 80 cr to iDEA.

Unlike what M&M admits, it appears they tried to build a compact sedan. Once the final product was revealed, someone got the idea that it looked more like a hatchback than a sedan and hence decided to market it as a hatch instead of CS. I can't find any other reason for that fixed rear glass!

Only good thing out of the whole exercise is that the Verito sedan looks more VFM than before!

Quote:

Originally Posted by drsingh (Post 3142072)
If you are in the suburbs. With only tata/maruti/hyundai/mahindra dealerships near you. Brand snobbery doesnt matter. Space to squeeze in 6 adults in a hatch. Cheap and easily available service.proven, reliable,frugal engine.And regular discount offers upto 40 -50k
come up for the verito.they will come up for the vibe as well (considering it is priced ambitiously).

Then the verito/vibe does start making sense

Yes in the interiors the 'Renolt' car carries more prestige than tata cars. Barring the Manza.:)

And just 60 crores spent to enter into the largest car segment in India.Not bad at all. They have to sell much lesser cars to turn a profit.

Unlike Tata who has pumped 5000 crores into the nano project with ambitions to sell 2 lakh nanos a year!

Its a very funny comparision if any. Chopping off a boot from a french car got as a free parting gift, versus a company which had the foresight and the vision to make a true small/low cost car. The Nano is a marvel and should be respected as a proud Indian effort, as compared to the cheap jugaad like Vibe.
Mahindra has never got the passenger car segment right, although they are excellent in execution of UVs. The India platform is a true pax car, with everything built in house and the only reason they are not selling is because of patchy quality issues.

There is nothing of value or refinement in a Logan or a Vibe. It is truly meant for taxi segment and thats where we are seeing the bulk of logans going versus a Manza or a Vista.

Mahindra doesnt have tools to cut a 5th door out of the back? What the heck. I dont remember any other recent example of such callous design. This car should have been a blockbuster for them, with a good engine, lots of space and dependability. Was really looking forward to it. Disappointed is the understatement of the year. Boot looks like some shelf. Lost all the practicality of a hatch. Really stupid. Does someone really sit inside their cars and decide how to design them so that people can use them? Looks a carpenters job indeed. Opportunity lost.:Frustrati

It's not exactly a notchback, because the side profile does not show a definite boot. Just the angle of the hatch beneath the rear window is sharp, making it look like a notchback from the rear angle.

Maybe it is a crossover hatchback-notchback. They can call it a hunchback :D

ok. I may be the odd ball here, but I quite like the looks! It looks much more modern than the antique logan.

But I sure have a grouse with the price. 60 Crores investment for a car's R&D is peanuts to M&M. With such a low investment, they should have been a little more condescending on the price. And when you only have one engine option its all the more easier to price. If they had priced the top end under 5.5 lacs Vibe would be a formidable competition to cars two segments above and below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by apachelongbow (Post 3142534)

Its a very funny comparision if any. Chopping off a boot from a french car got as a free parting gift, versus a company which had the foresight and the vision to make a true small/low cost car. The Nano is a marvel and should be respected as a proud Indian effort, as compared to the cheap jugaad like Vibe.

There is nothing of value or refinement in a Logan or a Vibe. It is truly meant for taxi segment and thats where we are seeing the bulk of logans going versus a Manza or a Vista.

Thats the gist of what I wanted to convey. Mahindra gatecrashing parties with jugaad and being fairly successful. With Tata throwing money at 'grand visions' of a charismatic leader. The nano is an expensive marvel whereas verito/vibe is a frugal way to dip toes into new segments and hedge their SUV business.

I doubt the verito is a free ride though.there must be royalties for the k9k diesel and the logan platform.

With the longer wheel base, wouldn't the ride quality be much better? Also, on the other hand, aren't the chances of the underbody scraping large speed breakershigher?

A simple daily preference for me is to keep my laptop bag (backpack) upright in the boot. With Vibe I would not be able to do this!