Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2013, 01:55   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyro View Post
Will be interesting to see how Honda slots the New Jazz in terms of pricing with respect to Amaze since both of them will be getting the same engines. If priced lower than Amaze then it will eat into Amaze. You will be getting a car with better interiors and almost equivalent or more space at a cheaper price If priced higher than Amaze then it will again remain a niche product and not a mass seller.
I think Honda's epic failure with Jazz, was not getting the car out to more people. The initial pricing perpetuated the niche image. Of course when they eventually dropped price, circumstances affecting deliveries failed them.

I had a chance to drive a jazz/fit abroad & the owners love the practicality of the damn thing. It is what every hatch should aspire to be. Our experience here was a confused sales guy, who pushed the City and the upcoming Brio instead of pushing ergonomics of the seats etc.

My point is I hope they keep it simple and slot it below the City. It's a grown up hatch and the difference from Amaze, should be obvious to anyone sitting in one. One is an Indian engineered success, but the other needs to find its rightful place under the Indian sun as the ultimate hatchback.
Old 21st November 2013, 18:53   #242
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
re: The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Yeah, sorry for mentioning the jack. The jack is not a problem but the toolkit is. It should have a placeholder for securely holding it which is absent.

I know its a minor irritant but it still is..
Did you mean the parcel tray when you say 'car cover'?
no, i meant the car cover i would always uncover my car and put the cover in the boot..don't know if that was the reason, but never heard a sound from the tool kit. is yours tied up nice and tight? if not that may be a reason. though i agree when you say that ideally it should have a placeholder (like the civic maybe..?)
Old 23rd November 2013, 00:54   #243

Here's a brief test drive report on the new Jazz by MotorBeam.
http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/honda-...-drive-review/
Ren8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 14:21   #244
BHPian

Just saw the review of Honda Fit / Jazz on one of the TV shows. It sure looks good, but was surprised to hear that international markets are getting 1.5l engine and we may get 1.2 l. They also showed Mobilo - MPV on Brio Platform, interiors looks much spacier than Ertiga, but the mundane Beige everywhere is hardly aspiring. Mobilo, they mentioned may come with a 1.5 L diesel heart.
Old 23rd November 2013, 15:08   #245
BHPian

If the Jazz base model is going to be around 6L, then why not chip in a bit more and go for EcoSport?

Honda needs to sort out the pricing of Jazz, otherwise it will turn out to be a dud like its previous avatar.

I also hope that the new Jazz will have a higher ground clearance, better driver seat position and visibility, and better ride quality compared to the old Jazz.

Quote:
Autocar brief review is up..

They are saying it will be available by mid-2014.
And expected price of the base variant around 6L.

Refer to the link below for more details -

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...ve-364804.aspx
Old 23rd November 2013, 16:36   #246
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsunn View Post
If the Jazz base model is going to be around 6L, then why not chip in a bit more and go for EcoSport?

Honda needs to sort out the pricing of Jazz, otherwise it will turn out to be a dud like its previous avatar.

I also hope that the new Jazz will have a higher ground clearance, better driver seat position and visibility, and better ride quality compared to the old Jazz.
Jazz is a whole lot spacier then the EcoSport and for some the body roll of the EcoSport may not be to their liking.
But yes a higher ground clearance would be welcome.
Old 23rd November 2013, 18:19   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Lets not speculate!
All I said is the Jazz will be priced above the Amaze and rightfully so. Unless Honda compromises on quality, they can't price Jazz below Amaze. The difference is obvious to anyone who was experienced both cars.

Regards Ecosport, it is a different product category and also from a different brand. Have you thought why people buy a I20 diesel top end instead of Ecosport?Also, many people will anyday go for a Honda over a Ford.
Old 23rd November 2013, 19:48   #248
BHPian

Following are the pricing for 1.5l petrol variant of EcoSport:
Ambiente - 5.83 lacs
Trend - 6.77 lacs
Titanium - 7.73 lacs

Following was the revised pricing for Jazz petrol variant in 2011:
S - 5.5 lacs
Select - 5.75 lacs
X - 6.06 lacs

While there is a difference of only 30K between base trims, the difference in top trim is a whooping 1.7 lacs

What's interesting to note is the features that base trim of Jazz came with. Just look at the safety features and you will find Dual air bag, ABS, EBD, G-Con, all of these were present in S variant and is missing in Ambiente.

Compare other features and you will find Steering mounted audio control, CD/MP3 player, 60:40 rear seat, Keyless entry, Rear power windows, Seat belt height adjuster, Fuel computer which shows Avg fuel consumption, Distance to empty, etc. all these features are missing in EcoSport Ambiente.

The boot space in EcoSport is 346l compared to 2014 Jazz which will be 400l. Add to this the unparalleled space that Jazz offers both for front and rear passengers. In my opinion the only feature on which EcoSport scores is ground clearance.

So overall if you were to compare features, space and pricing (assuming it gets launched at the same level as 2011), for me Jazz is the clear winner.

Following is the feature list of previous version of Jazz. We can only expect enhancements to this.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)-exterior.png  

The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)-interior.png  

The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)-safety.png  

The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)-convenience.png  

damager21 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 21:05   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Lets not speculate!
All I said is the Jazz will be priced above the Amaze and rightfully so. Unless Honda compromises on quality, they can't price Jazz below Amaze. The difference is obvious to anyone who was experienced both cars.

Regards Ecosport, it is a different product category and also from a different brand. Have you thought why people buy a I20 diesel top end instead of Ecosport?Also, many people will anyday go for a Honda over a Ford.
Well, it wasn't me who started the speculation regarding Jazz's price.

For most people who drive primarily in cities, the following are the major criteria while buying a car -

1. Power and pick-up (ease in over-taking)
2. Driving position and visibility
3. Ride quality
4. Ground clearance

Obviously, there are other factors too like spaciousness, fuel efficiency, service cost and ease, aesthetics, etc. But Jazz's low ground clearance and driving position are real deal breakers. This is a problem with most Honda cars. And I really hope that Honda addresses these issues, especially for Indian market.

EcoSport's major disadvantage is Ford's poor service centers. But in all other criteria, it is either at par or above Jazz. Honda's petrol engines are world-renowned, but the EcoSport's Ecoboost engine is a game-changer.

There is no doubt that when it comes to engine performance, reliability, styling, fuel efficiency and just over build quality, Honda cars are simply brilliant. But fact remains, Honda cars aren't specifically designed for Indian road conditions.

P.S. I own Honda City AT and WagonR CNG... and when I'm driving in city traffic, surprisingly I prefer Wagon R simply because of its excellent visibility (and also smaller dimensions means ease in parking). In Honda City, my neck starts aching because I have to stick it out all the time.
dsunn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 22:35   #250
Senior - BHPian

Same here - its my favorite sub-10L car as well! it was ill-timed, ill-fated and all other ills last time. Hoping this time, folks buy it in thousands as the value proposition is simply unbeatable!

I dont see much competition from Amaze for the Jazz. Amaze buyer has a different mindset and those wouldnt usually want a hatch.
Equus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 22:46   #251
Senior - BHPian

@dsunn - well, lets say its up to individual choices.
But, there will be people who will prefer a Jazz over Ecosport at a slightly lower price.
Also, as explained by @damager21, the price difference is not that low if you do an apples-to-apples comparison.

Jazz has some probs like low GC or harsh slow speed ride which I have mentioned a few posts before. Every car will have issues and I am sure Ecosport is no exception. For example, I found the Ecosport not a match to the interior design and quality of the Jazz. Also, Jazz felt to be more spacious than Ecosport.

About the ecoboost engine, I have not driven it. It might be a great engine but it is priced way way high and should not be even compared with Jazz.
Old 24th November 2013, 00:13   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Because many people would any day take the Jazz over the Ecosport?
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 00:38   #253
BHPian

Quote:
@dsunn - well, lets say its up to individual choices.
But, there will be people who will prefer a Jazz over Ecosport at a slightly lower price.
Also, as explained by @damager21, the price difference is not that low if you do an apples-to-apples comparison.

Jazz has some probs like low GC or harsh slow speed ride which I have mentioned a few posts before. Every car will have issues and I am sure Ecosport is no exception. For example, I found the Ecosport not a match to the interior design and quality of the Jazz. Also, Jazz felt to be more spacious than Ecosport.

About the ecoboost engine, I have not driven it. It might be a great engine but it is priced way way high and should not be even compared with Jazz.
I'm pretty sure that in most cases, if anyone is paying 6 lacs for a new car, he won't mind spending another 1-2 lacs provided he is getting a better deal.

I'm not saying that EcoSport is perfect... its ride quality is terrible, back and side visibility at some angles is very poor, and Ford dealers are pathetic.

But, I'm right now primarily comparing premium hatch-backs in general with compact SUVs. Maruti, Hyundai, Tata and even Honda have plans to launch compact SUVs by next year or so. By paying 20-30% more, one can upgrade from premium hatchback to compact SUV. I use the term upgrade because obviously, compact SUVs have a whole range of potential advantages over hatchbacks like Jazz and i20 (especially given Indian traffic and road conditions).

I'm of the opinion that over a couple of years, premium hatchbacks will lose a lot of their current market share due to compact SUVs. I had plans to buy a new car this year but I've put the plans on hold for 1-2 years to wait and see how these car categories evolve.
Old 24th November 2013, 05:28   #254
Senior - BHPian

Since it got mentioned, I'm gonna say that as far as I can see, there is no game that Ford's Ecoboost engine has changed. Just by producing more bhp from a puny engine does not change anything for the average users.

It was claimed to have the power of a 1.6 ltr engine with fuel efficiency to match that of a 1.0 ltr engine. And from few ownership reports here on the forum and outside, I know some owners are even struggling to get 12 kmpl, whereas some other manufacturer's 1.2 ltr engine fares way better with fuel efficiency.. FE even drops to single digits when that Ecoboost is driven to exploit all that power.

Agreed its initial days, but until its proven and we have facts to substantiate, there's no point calling the Ecoboost engine a game changer. . It has to yet live up to its claim, forget changing any game.

Last edited by k_ajay : 24th November 2013 at 05:30.
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 06:43   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
It was claimed to have the power of a 1.6 ltr engine with fuel efficiency to match that of a 1.0 ltr engine.
You could not have been more wrong. It was supposed to be 20% more economical than an equivalent petrol 1.6 liter engine.
extreme_torque is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed