Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2013, 14:12   #16
BHPian

re: The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)

If Amaze continues to do well, Honda would be better off with holding off this release till they augment capacity, or else they will cannibalize their own cars.

Also, they need to see if a Brio diesel could have better sales than new Jazz.

Last edited by echo77 : 7th June 2013 at 14:13.
Old 7th June 2013, 14:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

Honda should not get it wrong this time with the 2014 Jazz.

Price is a big factor when it comes to the Indian market, no matter how the car/vehicle looks like!
Old 7th June 2013, 14:35   #18
BHPian

The tough question is whether Honda will bring this in anytime soon. The price point will almost certainly overlap with the Amaze and Honda may not want to take away the momentum from their volume producer. It's look resembles a mini-Toyota Innova!
Old 7th June 2013, 14:38   #19
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The Jazz in diesel is potentially a better vehicle than the Amaze from the customer usage and practicality point of view. Also while the Brio and Amaze share a platform, similarly the City and Jazz share a platform. so the Jazz is essentially form a higher segment than the Amaze. But in India a higher segment Hatch vs a Lower segment Sedan is a tough to digest pill. The i20 indeed is the one big exception but we don't really have a i10 or i20 sedan to compare with.

Indians are not used to paying more for a hatch than for a sedan. I would think if the Jazz were priced at a small premium to the Amaze it would be a good buy but would India?
Old 7th June 2013, 14:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The i20 indeed is the one big exception but we don't really have a i10 or i20 sedan to compare with.

Indians are not used to paying more for a hatch than for a sedan. I would think if the Jazz were priced at a small premium to the Amaze it would be a good buy but would India?
If the price to space & features ratio works out better than i20, then it will have a good run IMHO. But if it is launched when the market is just before hitting the bottom, then it will tagged as a failure
Old 7th June 2013, 15:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Honda has a buyer right here, in me for the Diesel Jazz. We had decided on it when they took it off the shelves.

The dealer said that Jazz will be re launched in its new avatar sometime end of this year and should go on sale early 2014.

3. 1.5 Ltrs Diesel MT.
Old 7th June 2013, 15:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

The current changes in fuel prices means that petrol could do as well as a diesel model. A diesel Jazz would be a good replacement for the Punto a few years down the line. A diesel automatic Jazz should be a killer proposition. They need to do something about GC though, that was the only complaint a current owner had.

The Jazz is a first world product, I am sure, seeing the launch of the Polo GT and the current sales levels of the i20, there exists a market for premium small cars which don't have anything in common with third world products like Etios, Figo and Amaze.
Old 7th June 2013, 15:36   #23
BHPian

With 400 Litres boot, 1.5L iDtec engine, these are features of the Amaze. It will compete with its own sibling. What is the point in launching this.

This is where Honda differs from Maruti. If we forget the vehicle, only talk of the marketing strategy, Maruti is spot-on.

They have so many models, but never 2 models which offer the same thing. They had the 1 litre Alto selling well, but they changed it to 800cc engine swiftly and Swift sales went up. I see the Wagon R and Ritz stepping on each other's foot. Wonder, how they both are manging to maintain decent numbers.
Old 7th June 2013, 15:50   #24
BHPian

That's an eye catcher from Honda. The front grill design strongly follows the new CR-V design language, are they trying to adapt a design trademark ?
Old 7th June 2013, 16:07   #25
BHPian

Good to see Jazz back.. EcoSport/i20 will have good competition.

Please don't start on me for classifying i20/EcoSport and JaZZ in same group. IMHO EcoSport is just a jacked up hatch, and nothing more(Yes, its a good Jacked up HatchBack ).

Also, I had a quick round in 1.5 iDTEC, for me the engine has got good vibration and sound insulation felt pretty basic in Amaze. If Honda is gonna use same insulation technique, then i20 / Ford can steal the show.
Old 7th June 2013, 16:28   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
With 400 Litres boot, 1.5L iDtec engine, these are features of the Amaze. It will compete with its own sibling. What is the point in launching this.

This is where Honda differs from Maruti. If we forget the vehicle, only talk of the marketing strategy, Maruti is spot-on.

They have so many models, but never 2 models which offer the same thing. They had the 1 litre Alto selling well, but they changed it to 800cc engine swiftly and Swift sales went up. I see the Wagon R and Ritz stepping on each other's foot. Wonder, how they both are manging to maintain decent numbers.
I view this in a different way.

Considering the fact that our market is actually showing some signs of change, it will be quite timely for the Jazz to make a comeback in 2014. If manufacturers need to expand their portfolio, they have to forgo those concerns of competing with its own sibling. Instead of banding by price range (e.g.; Jazz and Amaze), they will have to go by ensuring their presence in each segment/body type.

Internationally the Jazz is an important product in Honda’s portfolio, high on practicality, safety and quality. I hope they consider this for India, instead of being happy with market-specific products.
Old 7th June 2013, 16:43   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I view this in a different way.

Considering the fact that our market is actually showing some signs of change, it will be quite timely for the Jazz to make a comeback in 2014. If manufacturers need to expand their portfolio, they have to forgo those concerns of competing with its own sibling. Instead of banding by price range (e.g.; Jazz and Amaze), they will have to go by ensuring their presence in each segment/body type.

Internationally the Jazz is an important product in Honda’s portfolio, high on practicality, safety and quality. I hope they consider this for India, instead of being happy with market-specific products.
I do agree with your views, but unfortunately our market behaves differently from the "International market". Each market is different and the strategy has to be specific to the market.
Different products in each segment/bosy type is good as long as they do not overlap too much with each other.
Wouldn't it be great if Honda could come up with a compact SUV at this price point (this seems to be the hottest segment in India right now) instead of Jazz (already percieved as a flop in the Indian market)?
P.S: I personally love the Jazz and was looking to buy a pre-owned one myself. But, I really feel for the owners who bought Jazz and woke up the next morning to hear about the huge price cut on Jazz from Honda.
Old 7th June 2013, 16:50   #28
BHPian

That will be a brilliant step from Honda, or should I call Masterstroke?
I believe Jazz was an amazing offering but those were difficult times for it because of diesel-petrol price difference, and only petrol motor.
Space was never a problem in Jazz, but as we like it in India, The bigger, the better. I already hear people complaining about the lack of space in Ecosport! Bigger, better Jazz with those superb dynamics and a diesel engine... I see Honda already has a winner on cards.

Plus the compact suv on the same platform should also be a game changer, as shown at a recent autoshow, that also is a head-turner. But I believe that will be too late in the market as Renault and Ford got the rolling start benefit.

Last edited by stormerider : 7th June 2013 at 16:51. Reason: typo
Old 7th June 2013, 17:14   #29
BHPian

If it comes to Jazz and Amaze being priced similar, Jazz wins hands down, any day.

Amaze is a product made for developing countries and hence the depth of engineering is lesser compared to a true world car. In fact, this can be very well seen in present Jazz and City, where Jazz triumphs when it comes to overall engineering.

For a hatch which holds 400 ltrs capacity, why would one need an emerging market sedan? It would anyway share the same engines with Amaze and Brio. I am sure the current Amaze price would see a slight reduction and Jazz be positioned alongside for the 1.2l petrol and 1.5l diesel. I would however wish to see a 1.5l petrol also at the top of the line.
Old 7th June 2013, 20:50   #30
BHPian

Honda should take clue from Maruthi on branding cars that sell in the same range but attract different customers. Maruthi has the most number of A and B segment cars and all of them sell well, but to different needs of the customers. JAZZ has an overlap with Amaze and the top spec with the City (the Jazz will suit even a City user). The trick is not with the product, its a good one, its with the positioning.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks