Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2013, 22:29   #31
BHPian

re: The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I am glad that Honda is going to re-launch this amazing car. Having tasted success with Amaze, i am sure now they will not go wrong with the price plus new and tried at tested oil burner(on amaze) will attract more customers.
Honda will need to get its price spot on for two reasons. First, it has to erase the negative image of an overpriced hatch that it foolishly created at the launch of its earlier edition. Second, it will have to compete with the new i20 and other premium hatches and the vertical 'H' tag alone will not guarantee its sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Spacious, reliable, good looking, pratical this car has everything going for it. It was even priced well after the price cut by Honda. Hoping they launch the new one soon. I will be in the queue to buy one.
Add me to your list. My heart still skips a beat whenever I see the elegant Jazz moving gracefully along the streets of Goa. And with the many Jazz cars moving all over Goa, I may well have to book an appointment with a cardiologist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Glad to hear that the Jazz project is not just dead, yet. IFO absolutely love the Jazz for everything it has to offer! The new one, if going by what the rumors and pictures say, looks more bigger than the outgoing version and with the diesel engine plonked in it'll give Honda that much needed edge in the hatchback market, once again.
I'm also overjoyed to hear that the 2014 Jazz is arriving, well, in 2014. I will wait till 2015 to ensure that the teething problems, if any, of the Jazz are sorted out. By then, my i10 will be five years old and it will either be replaced with the Jazz or it will play second fiddle to the Jazz!

The new Jazz is reported to have a bigger cabin with multiple engine options in comparison to the earlier model and this is excellent music (jazz) to my ears. I only hope that Honda executes a perfect "arrangement" with the price for this second performance, else Honda's symphony could well be over on a disastrous note for the second time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's going to be a huge challenge for Honda to position the new Jazz.

Price overlap between the Amaze & new Jazz will be inevitable.
Fine balancing act it's going to be, selling a new sedan & fresh hatchback within the same price band.
This is exactly what I cannot figure out. How exactly will Honda position the Jazz, which left on a false note, with that of the Amaze, which has had amazing sales so far.

Maruti is already beginning to feel the heat with its multiple cars competing with each other. While the Wagon R is doing great, the Estilo was a flop. While the Alto is doing great, the A-star was a flop. While the Swift is doing great, the Ritz was a flop (at least in May). I'm not sure if in-house cannibalism is working out well with Maruti and I can only wonder how Honda will work out an attractive price formula with the Jazz, as it did with the Amaze. If it does (and I hope so), Honda would have produced an Amazing Jazz ensemble indeed.

Of the two, I am more inclined towards the Jazz for the magic seat combination (let's hope this magic feature is retained in the new Jazz), which makes it possible to shift the entire house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
If it comes to Jazz and Amaze being priced similar, Jazz wins hands down, any day.

For a hatch which holds 400 ltrs capacity, why would one need an emerging market sedan?
Quite true. And with the various folding seat options, the Jazz can accept even more luggage than the Amaze. If it does (and I hope so), it would be an Amazing Jazz ensemble indeed.

Last edited by misquitas : 7th June 2013 at 22:50.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 02:39   #32
BHPian

The new Honda Jazz looks quite good, and with all the space to offer, an oil burner and IF Honda loads it up with features akin to the i20, they have a winner on their hands, provided Honda prices it well (there are high chances they will as they have tasted success with the Brio and the Amaze).
The cost of manufacturing should be low as the car will share its platform with the new City and the SUV/MUV they are going to launch with oil burners from day one, and seeing the sales of the ANHC with the only its petrol engine presently, the new one with the diesel should rule the charts which will translate into bigger volumes which will lower the manufacturing costs for all the derivates of the Jazz chasis effectively lowering prices which can be passed down to you and me.
Old 8th June 2013, 06:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Looks awesome with that CRVish face! I do hope Honda gets the Jazz back into our country.

And if both Jazz and Amaze are in the same price bracket, I would prefer the hatch to the compact sedan.

But I suppose Jazz will be costlier when compared to the Brio sedan and Honda will have think very hard whether the market is mature enough to accept that.

Last edited by deetjohn : 8th June 2013 at 06:53. Reason: adding text.
Old 8th June 2013, 08:50   #34
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Jazz in its current avatar already was very roomy from inside. With further increase in length, Honda might try to squeeze in a third row of seat. If this happens, then Honda would have a winner and there would be no overlap with amaze.
Very good thought.
There is definitely appetite in the market for a 7 seater compact MUV like Ertiga.
It would also help differentiate the Jazz from the other offerings from the Honda stable.

Last edited by SDP : 8th June 2013 at 08:52.
Old 8th June 2013, 11:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
And if both Jazz and Amaze are in the same price bracket, I would prefer the hatch to the compact sedan.

But I suppose Jazz will be costlier when compared to the Brio sedan and Honda will have think very hard whether the market is mature enough to accept that.
Unfortunately, I doubt that the majority of the car buying public in the country will share your (and my) sentiments. Somehow, having a boot at the back of your car is a "I have arrived" statement. Hatches, no matter how well packaged and spacious will always be the lesser mortals.

The Amaze is selling well and as GTO said, it will be a very tricky positioning challenge for Honda.

That aside, the rendering looks sexy!
Old 8th June 2013, 11:40   #36
BHPian

It would be interesting to see what Honda comes up with in terms of petrol engine technology for the 2014 launches. Traditionally Honda was ahead of the Germans in this field, but of late we see that VW etc have taken the lead with their combo of turbocharging and direct injection.
Old 8th June 2013, 12:03   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
With 400 Litres boot, 1.5L iDtec engine, these are features of the Amaze. It will compete with its own sibling. What is the point in launching this.

This is where Honda differs from Maruti. If we forget the vehicle, only talk of the marketing strategy, Maruti is spot-on.

They have so many models, but never 2 models which offer the same thing. They had the 1 litre Alto selling well, but they changed it to 800cc engine swiftly and Swift sales went up. I see the Wagon R and Ritz stepping on each other's foot. Wonder, how they both are manging to maintain decent numbers.
I beg to disagree. Maruti Suzuki came to Indian market long before Honda or Hyundai. So stating that Maruti's strategy better than any other Asian/European car makers would be wrong. Back in 90s, we use to see only HM Amby, M800, or Padmini on Indian roads. We all know Suzuki is good. Honda started with a 'premium' badge in India, and it did not augur too well with Indian market. Now they have learnt what is it that is needed to sustain a good product here. Btw, all of their products have been magnificent albeit the price tagged to them.
More or less a 'premium' (the definition of this word is subjective) hatch is definitely needed in Honda's stable. Brio does not fulfill this part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I view this in a different way.

Considering the fact that our market is actually showing some signs of change, it will be quite timely for the Jazz to make a comeback in 2014. If manufacturers need to expand their portfolio, they have to forgo those concerns of competing with its own sibling. Instead of banding by price range (e.g.; Jazz and Amaze), they will have to go by ensuring their presence in each segment/body type.

Internationally the Jazz is an important product in Honda’s portfolio, high on practicality, safety and quality. I hope they consider this for India, instead of being happy with market-specific products.
I guess Honda should invest a lot in pricing management area, and at the same time not compromise on the features made available in their products. I am happy that most of their products comes with the safety features (ABS, air bags, etc.) from the first variant itself. This approach is unique for car makers in India, unlike others who tend to bring in 3-4 variants compromising on the 'needed' features. Indian car buyer's mentality has changed a lot, and they no longer think the way they used to 8-10 years back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
That will be a brilliant step from Honda, or should I call Masterstroke?
I believe Jazz was an amazing offering but those were difficult times for it because of diesel-petrol price difference, and only petrol motor.
Space was never a problem in Jazz, but as we like it in India, The bigger, the better. I already hear people complaining about the lack of space in Ecosport! Bigger, better Jazz with those superb dynamics and a diesel engine... I see Honda already has a winner on cards.

Plus the compact suv on the same platform should also be a game changer, as shown at a recent autoshow, that also is a head-turner. But I believe that will be too late in the market as Renault and Ford got the rolling start benefit.
Could not agree more !

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
Honda should take clue from Maruthi on branding cars that sell in the same range but attract different customers. Maruthi has the most number of A and B segment cars and all of them sell well, but to different needs of the customers. JAZZ has an overlap with Amaze and the top spec with the City (the Jazz will suit even a City user). The trick is not with the product, its a good one, its with the positioning.
As mentioned, no point comparing Maruti Suzuki's strategy with Honda's. They are both successful in their own way. There are countries where Hondas sell more than Suzukis. So what would you have to say about Suzuki's strategy in such scenarios if they are so good at it? Not looking for a debate, just stating the context. Apples and Oranges, mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyaanveshi View Post
It would be interesting to see what Honda comes up with in terms of petrol engine technology for the 2014 launches. Traditionally Honda was ahead of the Germans in this field, but of late we see that VW etc have taken the lead with their combo of turbocharging and direct injection.
Yeah, right. German machines are good in their own way, while Japanese have their own brownie points. I would say, both of them are placed pretty close to each other, and I would stay away from making a statement on which one is better.
Old 8th June 2013, 12:19   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Unfortunately, I doubt that the majority of the car buying public in the country will share your (and my) sentiments. Somehow, having a boot at the back of your car is a "I have arrived" statement. Hatches, no matter how well packaged and spacious will always be the lesser mortals.

The Amaze is selling well and as GTO said, it will be a very tricky positioning challenge for Honda.

That aside, the rendering looks sexy!
As tricky as it sounds, I do believe that its better to have two options on the same pricing... I would go for the Jazz even if it is costing the same or a bit more than the Amaze. And similarly others wanting a sedan would go for the amaze. If I worked for Honda, I would feel better when Jazz is a competition to the amaze rather than Maruti Suzuki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Very good thought.
There is definitely appetite in the market for a 7 seater compact MUV like Ertiga.
It would also help differentiate the Jazz from the other offerings from the Honda stable.
I beg to differ, according to me a spacious hatchback is a better option than a MUV with cramped third row of seats. That gives it a better identity among the urban small family which I guess is its intended market!
Old 8th June 2013, 12:35   #39
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamSaran View Post
I beg to differ, according to me a spacious hatchback is a better option than a MUV with cramped third row of seats. That gives it a better identity among the urban small family which I guess is its intended market!
I believe my point is misunderstood. I am not saying that a stretched Jazz in a 7 seater MUV avatar would be a brilliant product. I am talking about the positioning challenge as articulated by GTO in his post. If positioned as a compact MUV, the product differentiation would be better and then you don't have to worry too much about price-range overlaps between the Amaze and the new Jazz.
Old 8th June 2013, 13:06   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's going to be a huge challenge for Honda to position the new Jazz.

Price overlap between the Amaze & new Jazz will be inevitable. Unlike Hyundai which had a long-in-the-tooth slow-selling sedan (Accent) overlapping with its premium hatchback (i20) in terms of price, the Amaze is new and has received a good market response too.

Fine balancing act it's going to be, selling a new sedan & fresh hatchback within the same price band.
I don't agree with you. Both products will be catering to different set of customers.

I for one firmly believe that I don't need a sedan for city driving. But I certainly want all bell and whistles in my car. A car like Jazz would be perfect for me. I don't want a hatch which is made to a cost.

Bring it on Honda.... I need a jazz with 1.5l engine with all bell and whistles.
Old 8th June 2013, 14:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

Does anybody expect the civic to be relaunched? Possibly with a diesel engine too? Any specific timeframe?
Old 8th June 2013, 15:23   #42
BANNED

I hope they offer the 1.5L petrol engine as an option.
Please Honda
Old 8th June 2013, 18:02   #43
BHPian

With Brio, Amaze and new City (with both Diesel and Petrol) to bring in the volumes, I suppose there will lesser pressure on Honda with respect to Jazz and I hope they could continue to position Jazz as a premium hatchback. Hopefully Polo TSI, A Class, 1 series would induce a change in mindsets regarding Hatchbacks!
Old 9th June 2013, 02:22   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamSaran View Post
As tricky as it sounds, I do believe that its better to have two options on the same pricing... I would go for the Jazz even if it is costing the same or a bit more than the Amaze. And similarly others wanting a sedan would go for the amaze. If I worked for Honda, I would feel better when Jazz is a competition to the amaze rather than Maruti Suzuki.

+1 to this. It is better to have a machine which occupies less parking space , and sits 5 comfortably, rather than a 7 seater with parking constraints, and 2 out of 5 people fighting for space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I believe my point is misunderstood. I am not saying that a stretched Jazz in a 7 seater MUV avatar would be a brilliant product. I am talking about the positioning challenge as articulated by GTO in his post. If positioned as a compact MUV, the product differentiation would be better and then you don't have to worry too much about price-range overlaps between the Amaze and the new Jazz.
I am not sure how are they planning to place the new product. I feel they would definitely keep it to their 'hatch' ambitions as of now. A Hatch with 400 liters of boot? What more can anyone expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by altius View Post
With Brio, Amaze and new City (with both Diesel and Petrol) to bring in the volumes, I suppose there will lesser pressure on Honda with respect to Jazz and I hope they could continue to position Jazz as a premium hatchback. Hopefully Polo TSI, A Class, 1 series would induce a change in mindsets regarding Hatchbacks!
Polo TSI is already burning the hatch segment. I am not going to speculate on the sales figures for this machine, but it is something which could revolutionize the hatch segment. Jazz 2014 is going to bring that level up even higher.
Of course I am keeping the likes of Fiat Bravo, 500 or Merc A class apart. They are, of course, THE premium hatches available now, but I do not keep them in this rat race as they are going to sell only in finger counting figures unlike the ones we discuss about.
Old 9th June 2013, 19:35   #45
Senior - BHPian

There should not be much of compitition between Jazz and Amaze as both are catering to different segments

Amaze - Entry level Sedan vs Jazz - Premium Hatch

Though similar pricing may have overlap but in very few cases where the buyer is equally confused of his needs.

Also, Honda should not stay with one product to count numbers, a revival of city with diesel motor and a Jazz - premium hatch is a must for them to maintain their position in market as with launch of new products the market will essentially sway for manufactures catering to large band - thus a one stop shop for any kind of requirements should be the long term goal.

Hyundai seems to be the one with quick response to market requirements, changes and facelifts at frequent intervels as well as their new plans to have people mover (against innova) is 2014 will further add to their presence.

Honda should look at covering Class II cities as Brio has definite potential there. Once their production capacity is ramped up, they should not miss out on this.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks