Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2015, 13:32   #721
Distinguished - BHPian

But what I am hoping I'd that Honda just doesn't see the i20 as it's competition but also the glaring success that a sporty though expensive Polo GT is enjoying. There 1.2L can take on the i20 which has an equally disappointing petrol motor. The 1.5 at the same time can be priced higher and compete for the hot hatch title.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 14:06   #722
Team-BHP Support

re: The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @KP View Post
What good things from Maruti are we talking about? I always thought they cut corners at every possible step.
Maruti has better quality in the entry level range. The Swift DZire against the Amaze, or the Ertiga against the Mobilio (even with its steep price tag) are good examples. Even the Ciaz matches or exceeds the City (in terms of less visible cost cutting), at lower prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by @KP View Post
Talk of offering security features as "optional"
Well, you dont get even a single airbag on the Mobilio E and S variants, the latter priced north of 10L in cities like bangalore.

So, lets not assume that the Jazz will get safety features as standard like the good old days. The spy pics dont even have rear headrests for the lower variants! (Hopefully - that is for SA)

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th January 2015 at 14:07.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 14:42   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But what I am hoping I'd that Honda just doesn't see the i20 as it's competition but also the glaring success that a sporty though expensive Polo GT is enjoying. There 1.2L can take on the i20 which has an equally disappointing petrol motor. The 1.5 at the same time can be priced higher and compete for the hot hatch title.
I agree with you sir . But i doubt 2 variants of 1.5 L getting launched . There could only be one sporty RS variant .

The RS variant could reach in to the midvariant of city costwise . If RS variant is getting launched , doubtful to see two CVT variants .( 1.2 and 1.5 ) .There could be only one cvt variant ( 1.2 )
Old 28th January 2015, 17:53   #724
Distinguished - BHPian

New Honda Jazz gets top safety rating.

India-bound Jazz has been awarded a five-star safety rating by Australian NCAP. But, while the Australian Jazz gets safety kit like six airbags and electronic stability control as standard, it needs to be seen how much safety kit will trickle down to the Indian markets.

Quote:
With road and vehicle safety gaining significant importance in India too, it is likely that Honda will equip atleast the top trims of the Jazz with considerable safety features (even if not all of them). What seems certain though, is that Honda will bet big on the Jazz’s strengths of space, comfort and practicality, and also load it with more features and fitments this time. It is also expected to be priced very competitively, to take on the likes of the Volkswagen Polo and Hyundai i20.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ng-393022.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th January 2015 at 17:56.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2015, 17:40   #725
BHPian

Some Latest Jazz reviews from SA, and these should give an idea of what to expect from this India made Jazz.
Jazz is being made available in SA this month.

http://www.cars.co.za/motoring_news/...t-drive/28677/
http://topcar.co.za/first-drives/201...a-jazz-driven/

I am just hoping they spec Jazz similar to City and in all its variants (S to VX).
WRXXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2015, 18:08   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
New Honda Jazz gets top safety rating.

India-bound Jazz has been awarded a five-star safety rating by Australian NCAP. But, while the Australian Jazz gets safety kit like six airbags and electronic stability control as standard, it needs to be seen how much safety kit will trickle down to the Indian markets.
I think the story will be the same as City. They will never offer 6 airbags in Jazz here. We'll get 2 airbags and ABS as standard I guess across variants. Pricing is the key here. Hope they have learned from their mistakes and probably will price it competitively. And if all goes well this car will sell unlike the previous model. Wish Honda had plans to bring Vezel in India.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 01:11   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
Some Latest Jazz reviews from SA, and these should give an idea of what to expect from this India made Jazz.
Jazz is being made available in SA this month.

I am just hoping they spec Jazz similar to City and in all its variants (S to VX).
I hope India also gets the Jazz with the same build quality of SA Jazz. Pretty sure manufacturers will not compromise with the build quality for overseas market

With regards to specs, India will definitely miss out on a lot of safety features. But I get we get CVT options in 1.2 L petrol and also that we get a version with 1.5 L petrol in both manual and CVT avatars. That will make it a very powerful hatchback. That will also give a perfect option to people who dont want to compromise on Power + Reliability + Space + Auto / Manual choice. None of the hatchback in market currently give all these. An unrealistic expectation of Diesel automatic will be an icing on the cake though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
I think the story will be the same as City. They will never offer 6 airbags in Jazz here. We'll get 2 airbags and ABS as standard I guess across variants. Pricing is the key here. Hope they have learned from their mistakes and probably will price it competitively. And if all goes well this car will sell unlike the previous model. Wish Honda had plans to bring Vezel in India.
True. We are not gonna get 6 airbags and neither will we get ESC or HSA. Hope they give features provided in City at least like Cruise Control and CVT box. Since pricing is going to be a key, I am not sure how well Honda will load the Jazz.
Old 2nd February 2015, 07:17   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
and also that we get a version with 1.5 L petrol in both manual and CVT avatars. That will make it a very powerful hatchback. That will also give a perfect option to people who dont want to compromise on Power + Reliability + Space + Auto / Manual choice.
@Vigkey : I agree with you about the option list.
There is nothing wrong in hoping to get the best combinations
of these machines... it is like wishing for a dream team. But apart from power from 1.5L motor, Honda needs to fix the suspension setup and handling if they want to make Jazz an hot hatch. Based on the reviews so far it is more of a practical car than drivers car(looks like it fails to deliver the fun Swift offers for example) in which case 1.2L motor might just fit the bill.

A more powerful RS version which can linger around near polo GT category should ideally offer the 1.5L with sport suspension and handling setup... Well this is all about forward thinking I suppose...

But from past experience power alone doesn't make something very interesting to drive... For example:- A celica was just delivering 120 horses was extremely fun to drive than a 240bhp v6 3.2TL Acura. it is about the gear ratios, suspension and handling.

So all in all I can say that when Honda gives a powerful version of Jazz to make it a hot hatch(if they ever do) hope it is not just cosmetic.
Old 2nd February 2015, 11:23   #729
@KP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post

A more powerful RS version which can linger around near polo GT category should ideally offer the 1.5L with sport suspension and handling setup... Well this is all about forward thinking I suppose...
I doubt if it will happen this time around? With Mobilio, you did not really have a glass ceiling on pricing with the next car from Honda atleast double the price of Mobilio. But Jazz RS version will breach into Mobilio and there is a chance of consumers being confused with choice (although they are both in different categories)
Old 2nd February 2015, 16:53   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter

Snip.. Hope they have learned from their mistakes and probably will price it competitively. And if all goes well this car will sell unlike the previous model. Wish Honda had plans to bring Vezel in India.
Yes, pricing is key if the model has to be successful. It isn't enough if just a few enthusiasts buy it. Anything north of 6.2 lakhs for the base version will mean the sales will fail like earlier, irrespective of what great features the product boasts of.
Old 2nd February 2015, 20:10   #731
Team-BHP Support

Though I agree pricing is (and will continue to be) important in the Indian mass-market, it's no longer the sole make-or-break factor in the lower segments like it was even 2-3 years ago. More consumers are now willing to pay (reasonably) extra for a better product.
Old 3rd February 2015, 14:59   #732
BHPian

A true Jazz RS may remain and die a speculation.
Knowing Honda, India and the Mobilio, the RS is likely to get two emblems, projector lamps, body kit, spoiler, heat shields and extra chrome, all with an untouched powertrain.
Honda, If you are reading this - We only ask for a honest hot hatch and not the 2015 Mclaren Honda F1
Old 4th February 2015, 10:47   #733
BHPian

Looks like Jazz is officially on sale in SA now:
http://www.honda.co.za/en/products/cars/jazz/

Only jazz elegance gets 1.5 motor and the Trend and Comfort variants
get 1.2.
Old 7th February 2015, 15:43   #734
BHPian

Honda, you got a reputation to maintain! I trust you are going through this thread, and the feedback, needs and wants are being judged and prioritised!

Not sure if anyone shared this video before, but sharing it anyways. Of course, taken different place & time.

Old 7th February 2015, 16:16   #735
Team-BHP Support

I personally believe that the 1.5 does not make sense for the Indian market.

Sure, more power is always welcome. But the Jazz is inherently a point A to point B car. It's suspension is not tuned for fun. The ride and handling in the outgoing one is strictly average. I expect Honda to dial-in a bit of compliance in the new car's ride but that's about it. The steering is not great for enthusiastic driving and it the car hates being chucked into corners.

When a car is set-up like this, I'd rather not have a pokey motor.

What Honda needs to address is the old car's lethargic character by tweaking the gear-ratios and bottom-end torque.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed