Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2015, 19:14   #841
BHPian

re: The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
That is why I felt it will be tough for Honda to price Jazz less than i20. They will probably match it in introductory price and later increase the price.

If I was a betting man I would bet on the introductory pricing.

Pricing and publicity will be the two things Honda will have to concentrate on.
The Jazz would be priced similar to i20 and would revise the pricing once demand pics up. Ecosport did it successfully ( early adopters almost saved upward of 1lakh! - which was invested in DRL's and projector headlights by us ).

One thing is for sure from my experience,Honda's tend to hold to their resale value much better than Hyundai's!

That's why it makes a lot of economic sense to be an early and staunch adopter of Jazz.

And also Honda's always tend to satisfy the enthusiast much much better than Hyundai's!
Old 22nd April 2015, 12:44   #842
Distinguished - BHPian

The new Jazz will come with a CVT automatic option, same as the 2014 City.

Quote:
This CVT gearbox will be the same unit that does duty in the Honda City sedan.

While Honda’s smaller Brio hatch comes with a five-speed automatic, the Jazz will use the CVT belt-and-pulley job from the City. Whereas CVTs are good for fuel economy due to a high final drive ratio, they are not that nice to drive. This is particularly true at low speeds, where the poor responses from the gearbox only slow reactions down.

Honda has solved this problem by introducing a compact and slender torque converter on this gearbox. This is the reason why driving the City at low and medium speeds is not really a problem. The torque converter keeps sending torque to the car, even at low and medium revs and as a result, engine responsiveness is good.
The all-new 2015 Honda Jazz will be re-introduced by June 2015, sporting 1.2L petrol and 1.5L diesel powerplants.

SOURCE - ACI

Last edited by RavenAvi : 22nd April 2015 at 12:49.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 15:39   #843
BHPian

Interesting, there was talk about Honda-India importing paddle shifters for R & D purposes. It will be a much welcomed addition and also a segment first if Honda can implement it in the upcoming Jazz. Wishful thinking, I know.
Old 22nd April 2015, 16:22   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The new Jazz will come with a CVT automatic option, same as the 2014 City.

The all-new 2015 Honda Jazz will be re-introduced by June 2015, sporting 1.2L petrol and 1.5L diesel powerplants.

SOURCE - ACI
Guess this is a pretty concrete news. ACI was usually pretty accurate with their news regarding Jazz. Nice that it is coming with the CVT but would have loved if they offered the wonderful 1.5L iVTEC also at least in the top-end or as a RS variant. Anyways, now I have a big and tough decision to make - 1.5 iDTEC or 1.2 iVTEC CVT

Last edited by Vigkey : 22nd April 2015 at 16:24. Reason: Added Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 17:03   #845
BHPian

Quote:
Guess this is a pretty concrete news. ACI was usually pretty accurate with their news regarding Jazz. Nice that it is coming with the CVT but would have loved if they offered the wonderful 1.5L iVTEC also at least in the top-end or as a RS variant. Anyways, now I have a big and tough decision to make - 1.5 iDTEC or 1.2 iVTEC CVT
I too have the same doubt. The 1.2 CVT is hopefully not sluggish and performance should be decent (at least better than i20 petrol) otherwise it's the diesel which I would have to get.
Old 22nd April 2015, 18:12   #846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I too have the same doubt. The 1.2 CVT is hopefully not sluggish and performance should be decent (at least better than i20 petrol) otherwise it's the diesel which I would have to get.
Pretty sure it will be better than i20 petrol - Current Jazz owners can confirm

Quote:
By CVT standards, throttle response is good and the rubber-band (slipping clutch) effect is well controlled under normal driving conditions. That it's mated to a powerful engine helps mask some of the CVT's deficiencies, yet there isn't a doubt this type of transmission has come a long way.
T-BHP's Honda City review says that the powerful 1.5L iVTEC masks the limitation of the CVT box (rubber-band effect) to a good extent. But not sure how well the 1.2L can do in this regard.

The iDTEC will definitely be good, but my monthly running will usually be pretty low and I am a also afraid if the relatively noisy and unrefined diesel will kill the experience. I like powerful petrols better to be frank and 1.5L iVTEC on Jazz would have made my day.

At a time when Fiat is gearing for the Punto T-Jet, it is unfortunate that Honda chose not to plonk the 1.5L petrol in the Jazz. I am sure many people will go for this model in spite of the extra cost. There should be no technical constraint as Honda is offering this in many countries. Anyways, we have always been inferior to others, at least when it comes to cars.
Old 22nd April 2015, 18:19   #847
Senior - BHPian

Considering that it is an international model, I expect the Jazz to be pretty much same as Honda Fit in USA except for the engine and probably some other localized cost cuttings. Even the Asia model pictured in the previous page looks almost the same.

http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/
Old 23rd April 2015, 18:28   #848
D4D
BHPian

Back in 2009, the car was overpriced like mad, which killed it immediately at launch.

Come 2015, the engine and transmission is produced in bulk for Honda City, Amaze and Brio. With a lot of part sharing with Honda city, I think they can keep prices down. One more winner for Honda if priced well.

Honda might have silently killed the Amaze here. The Jazz will have a much better interior than the Amaze and will have comparable boot space(360litres vs 400 litres), whereas the elite i20 has a smaller boot compared to the xcent.

Can the Jazz beat the i20? Only time will tell.
Old 23rd April 2015, 19:15   #849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Honda might have silently killed the Amaze here. The Jazz will have a much better interior than the Amaze and will have comparable boot space(360litres vs 400 litres), whereas the elite i20 has a smaller boot compared to the xcent.

Can the Jazz beat the i20? Only time will tell.
No way buddy. Jazz cannot kill Amaze IMO. People here will buy a SEDAN if they are given a hatchback vs sedan choice at the same price. They don't care if it is a compact sedan or not. Boot = status for many (I repeat for many and NOT all). Premium hatchback has its market now and it will sell decently as well.

Now, there is one exception. Xcent - both Grand i10 and i20 are selling more. Reasons why Xcent is not selling as much as i20
  • i20 is a well established brand while Xcent is very new
  • puny 1.1 L diesel in Xcent

Again for small car buyers, Grand i10 was a significant upgrade from i10 in size, overall quality, looks, etc.

Coming back to Amaze vs Jazz, Jazz will have it tough here mainly because of the perceived superiority of the sedan and also the fact that both offers the same engine set. Honda will do Jazz a world of good, if it gives the 6-speed transmission from City to the Jazz iDTEC. That will be a good differentiation from Amaze and also will match i20. In Petrols, the CVT option (and the perceived superiority over conventional Torque Converters) should help automatic Jazz to sell well. Manual Petrol version will be a little hard to sell IMO - They should have given the 1.5L iVTEC option as a differentiation.

Coming Jazz vs i20. Jazz will again have it very tough because of the excellent recall value of i20 and the fact that it is a blockbuster already. Also, i20 was never a failure and Jazz once was. Very good pricing and kitting along with nice marketing should be there for Jazz to match i20.
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 19:31   #850
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
No way buddy. Jazz cannot kill Amaze IMO. People here will buy a SEDAN if they are given a hatchback vs sedan choice at the same price.
Understandable if the Amaze had good interiors. But the Amaze doesn't have good interiors, reeks of cost cutting compared to the Jazz which will have much better quality inside out. I'm sure any man would be mightily impressed with the Jazz if he checks it out after seeing the Amaze. 99% of the people will obviously check it out.

But can't argue with the fact that the boot is a deciding factor for many.

Quote:
They should have given the 1.5L iVTEC option as a differentiation.
Not going to happen buddy.

Personally, I would love to see the 1.5 L petrol in the Jazz.

The point of making the Jazz is to make a sub 4m car to qualify for excise benefits. (<1.2 L petrol & <1.5 Diesel)

Honda, listen to us and introduce a performance variant on the Jazz with the 1.5 petrol.

Last edited by D4D : 23rd April 2015 at 19:33.
Old 24th April 2015, 11:51   #851
BHPian

Quote:
Understandable if the Amaze had good interiors. But the Amaze doesn't have good interiors, reeks of cost cutting compared to the Jazz which will have much better quality inside out. I'm sure any man would be mightily impressed with the Jazz if he checks it out after seeing the Amaze. 99% of the people will obviously check it out.

But can't argue with the fact that the boot is a deciding factor for many.
Being a current Jazz owner I think Jazz interiors are way better than Amaze in terms of quality and ergonomics. If we look at numbers the interior space is I believe better than Amaze and boot capacity is 366 liters.
I have heard that the new Jazz has 400 liters of boot space which is same as Amaze. So I am not sure if the more boot space concept in Sedan Vs Hatch holds through here.

I would buy new Jazz... but actually I won't since I own one
naikameya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 13:30   #852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikameya View Post
Being a current Jazz owner I think Jazz interiors are way better than Amaze in terms of quality and ergonomics. If we look at numbers the interior space is I believe better than Amaze and boot capacity is 366 liters.
I have heard that the new Jazz has 400 liters of boot space which is same as Amaze.
There is no comparison really (other than paper specs) between the Jazz and the Amaze. The Jazz is a global platform with world class space and flexibility, whereas the Amaze is cut-price built to cost car for third world countries with compromises in almost every respect.

Again, boot space comparison of 366 vs 400 liters is another paper spec that would make sense only to someone who has not seen either car. The Jazz has so much more useable and flexible storage (not just boot) space with the magic seats meaning that you can fold flat or use various combinations to store odd shaped items and free up a lot more boot space if needed, none of which is possible in the Amaze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikameya View Post
So I am not sure if the more boot space concept in Sedan Vs Hatch holds through here.
It is not the actual boot space but the mentality of buyers and delusions of 'status' that he is probably referring to.

Last edited by chncar : 24th April 2015 at 13:34.
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 13:57   #853
Senior - BHPian

This is an interesting debate going on regarding how Honda will position the Jazz in terms of pricing.

Compared with Amaze, the Jazz is way better or similar in ALL respects. I guess only the boot space and leg space might be similar( but I would give Jazz the edge in space as well because of the magic seats and height advantage of the hatch).
In all other aspects, the Jazz wins hands down.

If you see, Hyundai has priced the I20 slightly more than the Xcent and it seems people have no issues accepting a hatchback over the 'sedan' going by the sales numbers. Though Hyundai would have liked to see more sales for the Xcent as I am sure the margins on the Xcent would be way higher than I20.

I personally think, Honda should price the Jazz higher than Amaze and provide it the features and quality which will differentiate it from Amaze. Also, I think Honda can get away with pricing the Jazz at a slight premium to I20 as Jazz has the advantage of superior interior space and boot space/flexibility if and only if the features are equivalent.

The fact that the previous Jazz was a market dud might not hurt Honda that much as the only reason it failed was the pricing. Jazz always had the aspirational value and many more people would have bought it if the pricing was realistic.

I am expecting a 5.25-5.5L starting price for the Jazz which would be a reasonable one.
Old 24th April 2015, 14:56   #854
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I think Honda can get away with pricing the Jazz at a slight premium to I20
Please no. The Jazz maybe better, but making pricing it within 5k of the i20 will be accepted. Ideally, priced on par, the jazz is sure to give i20 sleepless nights
Old 24th April 2015, 16:33   #855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please no. The Jazz maybe better, but making pricing it within 5k of the i20 will be accepted. Ideally, priced on par, the jazz is sure to give i20 sleepless nights
I mentioned a slight premium..so that IMO could be anywhere between 10-20K, not more.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks