Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2015, 11:53   #1381
BHPian

Re: The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
Does the V version has a 3 point belt for the mid rear seat, whereas the VX has a lap belt only? Why cant we get regular inertia reel belts for all seats?
It seems from the pictures that the V version has 3 point belts for the mid passenger while the VX has only lap belts. So, you can either have adjustable head restraints for rear passengers with a lap belt for the middle passenger or fixed head restraints for rear passengers and a proper 3 point seatbelt for the middle passenger.
Old 19th June 2015, 12:50   #1382
BHPian

IMO, after watching all these cut offs from Honda in the new Jazz entry variants, I think picking up a pre-worshipped good old Jazz makes a better choice which comes with magic seats by default in every variant, better cabin quality and of course the price advantage. I think we are going to give an advantage to the old Jazz to outshine once again in this analysis. Correct me if I am wrong. Again this is my personal.

I was in a hurry to sell my Honda Civic last month due to PS rack and pump leakage issue and cannot wait for new jazz, a month or two. So I picked up a brand new Swift VDI on 30th May.
Old 19th June 2015, 13:39   #1383
BHPian

Am also planning to own one. But reading various types of conclusions, now I'm having a second thought about it, whether it really holds for value for money. (Just incase if it priced higher than i20. ) However, my final deciiosn would be only after our Team BHP experts official review.

BTW, we can also see carwale review here. http://www.carwale.com/honda-cars/ja...reviews-19044/

Last edited by Wildy : 19th June 2015 at 13:44.
Old 19th June 2015, 14:14   #1384
BHPian

Honda is making fools out of india's respect for their brand.

They cant make mockery of the safety essentials in the car. If they are so bound to cut cost adapt better ethics. FYI i was an ardent & patient client for the Jazz. But now no more.

Last edited by ampere : 19th June 2015 at 14:48. Reason: back to back posts. : Formatted post
Old 19th June 2015, 15:12   #1385
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itssmano View Post

They cant make mockery of the safety essentials in the car. If they are so bound to cut cost adapt better ethics. FYI i was an ardent & patient client for the Jazz. But now no more.
What did Honda do which is so radically different from its competitors in the same space (with respect to safety essentials)?
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 15:47   #1386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itssmano View Post

itssmano, is this related to the absence of three-point seat belts for the third passenger in the Jazz? If Yes, I agree that three point seat belts are much safer and is a better option than the lap belts. But I honestly don't feel the absence can be termed a "mockery of the safety essentials".

Also, before you assume that Honda is the only culprit here, can you please help me with a list of cars in this budget that provide those. To be frank, I have not come across many.
Old 19th June 2015, 15:48   #1387
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does the V version has a 3 point belt for the mid rear seat, whereas the VX has a lap belt only? Why cant we get regular inertia reel belts for all seats?
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
It seems from the pictures that the V version has 3 point belts for the mid passenger while the VX has only lap belts. So, you can either have adjustable head restraints for rear passengers with a lap belt for the middle passenger or fixed head restraints for rear passengers and a proper 3 point seatbelt for the middle passenger.
Nope!

Both, the V and VX versions get only a 2-point lap belt for the rear middle seat (just like all other cars in this segment).

That picture of the V variant's rear seat is very misleading. It's just the 2-point lap belt that has been stretched fully and slung over the rear seat back.

It may give the impression that it's a 3-point ELR seatbelt, but it certainly is not one, I can assure you.

Last edited by RSR : 19th June 2015 at 15:52.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 16:36   #1388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Nope!

Both, the V and VX versions get only a 2-point lap belt for the rear middle seat (just like all other cars in this segment).

That picture of the V variant's rear seat is very misleading. It's just the 2-point lap belt that has been stretched fully and slung over the rear seat back.

It may give the impression that it's a 3-point ELR seatbelt, but it certainly is not one, I can assure you.
Re-looking at the picture - am guessing you may be right here. So short changed as usual.

Partially, regulation (or lack of it) to be blamed, but more importantly customer awareness / willingness to pay for safety is also to blame I guess, which leads to manufacturers taking short cuts.
prashanthyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 16:58   #1389
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Re-looking at the picture - am guessing you may be right here. So short changed as usual.

Partially, regulation (or lack of it) to be blamed, but more importantly customer awareness / willingness to pay for safety is also to blame I guess, which leads to manufacturers taking short cuts.
Yes, I would blame lack of regulation and a stupid attitude towards safety on the part of Indians on this issue.

No other car in this segment offers a proper 3-point ELR seatbelt for the middle passenger, so we cannot blame Honda alone for providing only a 2-point lap belt.

Last edited by RSR : 19th June 2015 at 17:02.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 17:32   #1390
BHPian

I just called Prime Honda, Patparganj to enquire about the jazz bookings. They said 51,000 with delivery expected 1-2 months after launch for the petrol MT variant. I had read somewhere that its 21,000 rupees for the booking. Can anyone confirm?
Old 19th June 2015, 17:51   #1391
Senior - BHPian

The Magic Seats opinion is the same that some people will have of ABS.

You cringe when you need to pay that little extra for it, but the day it comes to use, you'll be super glad you paid that little extra.

That said, the flat bed storage at the back when the rear seats are folded is a huge boon in the old Jazz. So much so that you can actually sleep there!

Having the old Jazz in the family, only bone of contention I have is the poor low end torque. Makes the car not so fun to drive. If this is sorted in the new Jazz, it will sure be a fantastic car. The space the Jazz offers is superlative. We had considered all hatchbacks at the time, including the i20, and none came close to the versatility in terms of space offered by the Jazz.

Oh, and the NVH levels? I have no idea what you're talking about.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 18:09   #1392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
The Magic Seats opinion is the same that some people will have of ABS.
Ashwin, and other owners of previous Jazz, I have one question regarding the rear seat comfort - on the under-thigh support perspective. From our official review and many user reviews, it is apparent that the previous generation Jazz suffered from poor under-thigh support in the rear seat. Looks like the same is carried over to the new generation as well, at least based on the currently available online reviews. I am sure most of you would have done a lot of long trips in the Jazz. How does the poor under-thigh support affect the overall rear seat comfort? Have you done any changes to the seat to circumvent this issue? Will this factor influence you if you consider to buy the new Jazz?

Would be great to know your views on these as it will help many others like me who are considering Jazz primarily for space and rear seat comfort. Again, these are factors which cannot be definitively confirmed in the short test drive most of us get to do. Looking forward to interesting views
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 18:35   #1393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I just called Prime Honda, Patparganj to enquire about the jazz bookings. They said 51,000 with delivery expected 1-2 months after launch for the petrol MT variant. I had read somewhere that its 21,000 rupees for the booking. Can anyone confirm?
Hi ToyotaFan,

Yes it is 21000 here in Bangalore (Dakshin Honda Bangalore) and deliveries to commence from July end.
Old 19th June 2015, 21:24   #1394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Ashwin, and other owners of previous Jazz, I have one question regarding the rear seat comfort - on the under-thigh support perspective.
The under thigh support - is not the best.

But not all that bad in my opinion either. Perhaps I feel this way because you sort of sink into the low slung seats and your back is amply cushioned and supported. I haven't really sat at the rear seat that much to have a strong opinion on the same. What I have noticed, is that crossing your legs and sitting gives pretty good support for the legs. I am 5' 11".

Here are a few more improvements I expect in the new Jazz:

1) Better steering feedback at high speeds. As the speed builds up, the steering begins to lose its feedback.

2) Thinner A-pillar. The old Jazz has way too thick an A-pillar. Makes it difficult for the driver to take those tight right turns!

3) Auto-locking of doors. Something that a WagonR has, but is missing in a car that cost twice as much at the time.
Old 19th June 2015, 21:54   #1395
Senior - BHPian

^^

I agree with Ashwin mostly.
I don't have much problems with the steering though as I feel it is one of the better EPS units in the market relative to competition (I20/Polo etc).

Low end torque is an issue but depends on your driving style. If you shift the gears proactively it should be fine and the midrange and top end is very strong for the 1.2 IVTEC. I normally feel the lack of low end torque in 3rd gear if I shift early. If you shift from 2nd to 3rd around 35-40 kmph, it will be fine. The torque builds up well from 1800-1900 rpm and the engine is very rev happy. I have hit the rev limiter a few times unitentionally due to the rev happy nature of the engine.

I agree with the stiff ride quality at low speeds in particular, obstruction due to A pillar while taking right turns (you have to bend your neck to be sure) and some missing features.

Other than that, the car is a joy to own!

I will be interested to know if Honda has improved on some of the shortcomings of the old Jazz. They seem to have loaded it fairly well in terms of features..so nothing much to complaint there.

Does the City have auto-locking doors?

Last edited by adimicra : 19th June 2015 at 22:04.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed