Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2015, 13:25   #1426
BHPian

Re: The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Yes, only the VX has magic seats and the automatic is available only in V. Honda might introduce an automatic VX later but there is no guarantee. Even on the Zest the top end was not introduced in AMT transmission but Tata corrected their mistake and introduced a top variant with AMT recently.
This seems like a dumb thing to do. Wonder why they think customers who prefer automatics will not be interested in other goodies in the VX model. Looks like they are scared of having a very high price tag for a VX AT model.
Old 22nd June 2015, 13:56   #1427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
This seems like a dumb thing to do. Wonder why they think customers who prefer automatics will not be interested in other goodies in the VX model. Looks like they are scared of having a very high price tag for a VX AT model.
According to me the price difference between V(MT) and VX (MT) would not be more than 35k. If Honda was to launch V (AT) at 7.25 lacs and if consumers are willing to pay that much, I am sure there will be a good set of these consumers who wont mind paying more and buying VX (AT) at 7.6 lacs.

The only reason I can think of for not offering VX (AT) is the speculated Jazz RS which will get launched later. Honda may launch Jazz RS with a 1.5l petrol engine + CVT. They may not want a VX (AT) with 1.2l petrol engine + CVT and RS (AT) with 1.5l petrol engine + CVT
damager21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 13:58   #1428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
The salesperson confirmed that the waiting period for the diesel Jazz stands at 3 months already while the petrol is 1-1.5 months.
I'm still not decided whether to go for petrol or diesel.
On one hand my running does not warrant a diesel , but I do not want my car to lack power whenever occasionally I go out on the highways.
Confusion prevails. Only a TD of both the cars can help me get over this confusion.
Hey Akhil,

I don't think the Diesel jazz will be inadequate on the highways.
Having driven a diesel City, it cruises very well at triple digit speeds.
Yes, it doesn't have the turbo boost but has a very linear power delivery which I like. The only issue is the engine noise and vibrations. Jazz is supposed to be better in this respect but you have to judge it for yourself if that is acceptable to you.

Autocar in the test drive/comparison mentioned that the diesel Jazz is actually faster than the I20 in 0-100 (~ 12 secs) and also in the in-gear acceleration tests. I guess that should be acceptable performance for most people.
Old 22nd June 2015, 14:02   #1429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Hey Akhil,

I don't think the Diesel jazz will be inadequate on the highways.
Having driven a diesel City, it cruises very well at triple digit speeds.
Yes, it doesn't have the turbo boost but has a very linear power delivery which I like. The only issue is the engine noise and vibrations. Jazz is supposed to be better in this respect but you have to judge it for yourself if that is acceptable to you.
Hey Adi,
I think you interpreted my post in a wrong way. What I meant to say was that my running is low and in that regard I should go for petrol.
But on the other hand the petrol would feel under-powered out on the highways, hence the swaying towards the diesel. That , coupled with the 6th cog in diesel is what is confusing me. The drive would decide the same as I have no qualms over going for Diesel if I am happy with the TD.
Old 22nd June 2015, 14:32   #1430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
According to me the price difference between V(MT) and VX (MT) would not be more than 35k. If Honda was to launch V (AT) at 7.25 lacs and if consumers are willing to pay that much, I am sure there will be a good set of these consumers who wont mind paying more and buying VX (AT) at 7.6 lacs.

The only reason I can think of for not offering VX (AT) is the speculated Jazz RS which will get launched later. Honda may launch Jazz RS with a 1.5l petrol engine + CVT. They may not want a VX (AT) with 1.2l petrol engine + CVT and RS (AT) with 1.5l petrol engine + CVT
Still makes no sense to me. I don't understand why a person who values convenience of an automatic and magic seats HAS to like a sportier engine. I don't see any harm in launching a VX AT and RS AT, unless there are limitations in the production lines for the number of combinations possible.
In general I feel companies offer more options to choose from in other countries compared to India. However, this discussion is OT.
Old 22nd June 2015, 14:39   #1431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Adi,
I think you interpreted my post in a wrong way. What I meant to say was that my running is low and in that regard I should go for petrol.
But on the other hand the petrol would feel under-powered out on the highways, hence the swaying towards the diesel. That , coupled with the 6th cog in diesel is what is confusing me. The drive would decide the same as I have no qualms over going for Diesel if I am happy with the TD.
Hi buddy,
Sorry for that.
The Jazz is the best petrol car in this segment in terms of highway cruising capability. The midrange and top end is very strong and the gearing is well suited for cruising on the highways.
Only place where you may not like the petrol is in the city traffic where sometimes you might need to change the gears (particularly downshift from 3rd to 2nd) to make quick progress.

The petrol refinement is superb...you can barely hear the engine at lower rpms and above 3000 rpms, the car makes a very sporty exhaust note which you will love when you are in the mood to push the engine.

Cheers,
Aadi

Last edited by adimicra : 22nd June 2015 at 15:05.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 14:44   #1432
BHPian

Quote:
Hi buddy,
Sorry for that.
The Jazz highway is the best petrol car in this segment in terms of highway cruising capability. The midrange and top end is very strong and the gearing is well suited for cruising on the highways.
Cheers,
Aadi
Since you are an existing Jazz owner, does the engine feel strained at , say 3000 rpm and upwards. Because I have read reviews saying the same.The petrol might be a good highway car too but the diesel is a relaxed cruiser I think.
Your inputs will be valuable as they might just make up my mind about the petrol or diesel.

Akhil
Old 22nd June 2015, 15:09   #1433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since you are an existing Jazz owner, does the engine feel strained at , say 3000 rpm and upwards. Because I have read reviews saying the same.The petrol might be a good highway car too but the diesel is a relaxed cruiser I think.
Your inputs will be valuable as they might just make up my mind about the petrol or diesel.

Akhil
No, the engine doesn't feel strained at 3000 rpm. It feels eager to rev..it's the most rev happy engine in this class. In fact, it's due to this rev happy nature and my heavy right foot, I have ended up hitting the rev limiter @7000 rpm quite a few times

After 3000 rpm, you do hear the engine though but that's not an engine crying for mercy..it makes a very sporty exhaust note asking you to rev it more

In your case, you should go for the petrol without a second thought. IMO
Old 22nd June 2015, 15:44   #1434
BHPian

Quote:
No, the engine doesn't feel strained at 3000 rpm. It feels eager to rev..it's the most rev happy engine in this class. In fact, it's due to this rev happy nature and my heavy right foot, I have ended up hitting the rev limiter @7000 rpm quite a few times

After 3000 rpm, you do hear the engine though but that's not an engine crying for mercy..it makes a very sporty exhaust note asking you to rev it more

In your case, you should go for the petrol without a second thought. IMO
As an owner of a petrol City, I couldn't agree more.
Honda makes great petrol engines (Smooth, refined and free revving). It's their small diesel engines where they need a little more practice
Old 22nd June 2015, 15:54   #1435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I second that, pushing all the way upto to 5-6K rpm is fun. You get a nice sporty noise and some movement.
Old 22nd June 2015, 19:40   #1436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I second that, pushing all the way upto to 5-6K rpm is fun. You get a nice sporty noise and some movement.
I third that

I routinely hit high speeds on the highway with 5 people + luggage. The petrol engine is a pleasure to drive.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd June 2015 at 19:47. Reason: Post edited. Please avoid mention of speeding on the forums!
Old 22nd June 2015, 19:51   #1437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
I third that

I routinely hit high speeds on the highway with 5 people + luggage. The petrol engine is a pleasure to drive.
I fourth that

The petrol engine in the city is refined, powerful and efficient all at the same time. i get about 11-13 km/l in city driving conditions And mine is a cvt. The car also gives performance on demand with that superb sporty exhaust note. I don't think there is any reason to believe that the jazz petrol would be underpowered on the highway.

Last edited by rockporiom : 22nd June 2015 at 19:53.
Old 22nd June 2015, 20:01   #1438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
YRA though speculated for a launch this year, IMO this will only come in early 2016.
The spy shots seen earlier are the LHD version, and the 1.0L Boosterjet engine is yet to be imported in production volumes.
That's right that volkman10, I noticed that the test units are LHD. I simply wonder if they can afford to wait until 2016, with the Elite i20 and Jazz lurking around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupams View Post
Hey pannags, I booked the same for 21000 at Dakshin Hosur Road. Surprised by different standards of same dealer!
That's cheap opportunism, isn't it! I believe this may have to do with the increased interest thanks to the reviews coming out. I'm still hoping they will offer a CVT-VX
Old 22nd June 2015, 20:14   #1439
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
I fourth that
I fifth that.
Jazz I-Vtec are rev happy engines and it effortlessly revs.
Last week, I was easily cruising at high 3 digit speeds with 3 passengers and boot full of luggage + mango's .

Although, the fuel efficiency drops to around 15km/l during those speeds.

Last edited by aim120 : 22nd June 2015 at 20:35.
Old 22nd June 2015, 20:28   #1440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
As an owner of a petrol City, I couldn't agree more.
Honda makes great petrol engines (Smooth, refined and free revving). It's their small diesel engines where they need a little more practice
Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I second that
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
I third that
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
I fourth that
Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
I fifth that.
Well-o-well, thats a lot of support for the Jazz i-VTEC. I understand it is free revving engine and is a pleasure to cruise it in the highway.

However, if my driving is going to be primarily in city (Bangalore and Trivandrum) + hills (Trivandrum - Tenkasi Kerala SH2) + 2 lane highways (Kollam - Madurai NH208) - how difficult / easy will it be to use the Jazz i-VTEC. This is considering a lot of bumper-to-bumper traffic, bad roads + speed-breakers, twisties and lot of overtaking in 2 lane highways. It is because of these conditions + poor low-end of i-VTEC, I am considering the Jazz i-DTEC. Would love to hear from Jazz owners on how your Jazz i-VTEC performs in these conditions.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed