Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2015, 21:45   #1441
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Well-o-well, thats a lot of support for the Jazz i-VTEC. I understand it is free revving engine and is a pleasure to cruise it in the highway.

However, if my driving is going to be primarily in city (Bangalore and Trivandrum) + hills (Trivandrum - Tenkasi Kerala SH2) + 2 lane highways (Kollam - Madurai NH208) - how difficult / easy will it be to use the Jazz i-VTEC. This is considering a lot of bumper-to-bumper traffic, bad roads + speed-breakers, twisties and lot of overtaking in 2 lane highways. It is because of these conditions + poor low-end of i-VTEC, I am considering the Jazz i-DTEC. Would love to hear from Jazz owners on how your Jazz i-VTEC performs in these conditions.
Well, simple answer is that you need to use the gears a bit more to ensure rapid progress in these conditions. Particularly, in 3rd gear, you can feel the low end torque issue. But if upshift from 2nd to 3rd around 35-40 kmph or downshift when you want to overtake, it will be fine. I guess depends on your driving style.
adimicra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 21:55   #1442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
No, the engine doesn't feel strained at 3000 rpm. It feels eager to rev
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
As an owner of a petrol City, I couldn't agree more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I second that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
I third that
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
I fourth that
Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
I fifth that.
Wow did not expect such a response. Seems the i-Vtec has many fans. Actually I also drive a second gen Honda City with the 1.5l i-Dsi engine. I have been brought up to drive sedately. It is when I joined Team-Bhp did I push my car and rev it hard.
And boy oh boy the engine note sounds so sweet. But that being a 10 year old car, the fuel efficiency suffers a lot whenever I do it. So I do not want that I get a free revving petrol but its fuel efficiency suffers that much due to its nature.
Old 22nd June 2015, 22:24   #1443
Senior - BHPian

The I-DSI engine is a different animal, a tamed one if I say so.
It was built for drive-ability and FE.

The I-VTEC is the free-revving petrol motor with dual characterisitcs - it gives great FE and refinement when driven sedately. If you want to have fun, rev it hard but the FE will drop quite a bit (expectedly)
Old 23rd June 2015, 11:13   #1444
BHPian

Hi Guys,

My friend is looking forward to buy the new Jazz and he received the variants info from the sales rep from the dealership. Apparently he got these from his Jazz training.

The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)-001a-1i.jpg

The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)-001a-2i.jpg

The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)-001a-3i.jpg

Last edited by .anshuman : 23rd June 2015 at 17:19. Reason: Watermarks added. Thanks for sharing it with us
Torino is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 11:32   #1445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
My friend is looking forward to buy the new Jazz and he received the variants info from the sales rep from the dealership. Apparently he got these from his Jazz training.
Excellent scoop, Torino. Thanks for sharing!

Looks like a decent variant listing feature-wise, but it's disappointing to see that Airbags won't come in the E & S variants. The least Honda could have done is to equip the lower 2 variants with a driver airbag, since it's going to be priced (and marketed) as a premium hatchback. Now when the Volkswagen Polo and the Toyota Etios Liva come with them as standard, Honda shouldn't have taken this step backwards, in regards to safety of it's Jazz customers.

ABS + EBD will be standard on S-CVT & S-iDTEC. But not on the S-iVTEC?! Another shocking omission! Petrol (manual) buyers will feel shortchanged. Judging by the feature list of the S-variant, a driver's airbag could have made the package complete.

Looks like the best loaded variant is the SV. It has most of the features of the range and if decently priced, can pull off the numbers!

Too bad that the Magic Seats are restricted to the VX variant only, specially when they were offered as standard across the range in the earlier-gen Jazz. The most useful feature of the Jazz is now restricted to the top-variant buyers only.

Overall, seems like a well-kitted lineup. The E & S variants seem like the ones which will come with the trademark "shock-pricing" marketing strategy, and the SV-variant onwards might see higher blocks of pricing.

All the best, Honda India!
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 11:45   #1446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Looks like a decent variant listing feature-wise, but it's disappointing to see that Airbags won't come in the E & S variants. The least Honda could have done is to equip the lower 2 variants with a driver airbag, since it's going to be priced (and marketed) as a premium hatchback. Honda shouldn't have taken this step backwards, in regards to safety of it's Jazz customers.

ABS + EBD will be standard on S-CVT & S-iDTEC. But not on the S-iVTEC?! Another shocking omission! Petrol (manual) buyers will feel shortchanged. Judging by the feature list of the S-variant, a driver's airbag could have made the package complete.

Looks like the best loaded variant is the SV. It has most of the features of the range and if decently priced, can pull off the numbers!

Too bad that the Magic Seats are restricted to the VX variant only.

Overall, seems like a well-kitted lineup. The E & S variants seem like the ones which will come with the trademark "shock-pricing" marketing strategy, and the SV-variant onwards might see higher blocks of pricing.

All the best, Honda India!

If I remember correctly I thought the CVT came in S and V variants only? If so S CVT will only get ABS/EBD as a safety feature. Very poor show from Honda. One will have to skip a version and pay a premium to get airbags with CVT. Wonder where is the logic in that.

As you said, being a 'premium' car I expected at least driver airbag to be standard across variants but Honda seems to learn from other mass manufacturers and wants to keep the profits up.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd June 2015 at 12:25. Reason: Typo corrected as requested.
SchumiFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 11:49   #1447
BHPian

From the variant list it looks like they will have a big price range say from 5.49 ex showroom to 7.99 ex showroom . This is just to advertise that Jazz starts @ 5.49 lacs to get people to see it in showroom.

Just like the Brio S which does not come with ABS AIRBAGS the same is now going to be with JAZZ - S .

What a value the old JAZZ was with ABS and 2 Airbags as standard. Times have moved on and they are only making what will sell . I don' t call it step backward . It is what the market wants from them.

I however didn' t get it that the Diesel gets the ABS and Petrol does not on the same variant . Would be good to get the ABS on the iVtec . Its better to have ABS then an airbag if they can afford to give just one out of the two .
manishkapadia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 12:04   #1448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Very poor show from Honda. One will have to skip a version and pay a permium to get airbags with CVT.

As you said, being a 'premium' car I expected at least driver airbag to be standard across variants but Honda seems to learn from other mass manufacturers and wants to keep the profits up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
What a value the old JAZZ was with ABS and 2 Airbags as standard. Times have moved on and they are only making what will sell . I don' t call it step backward . It is what the market wants from them.
Compare the 2015 Jazz variants & their features with the earlier-generation's feature list (only petrol line-up, priced between 5.5 lacs - 6 lacs, ex-showroom Delhi):

The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)-untitled.gif

Huge, H-U-G-E difference, specially in the safety aspects!

Back then, even the Jazz Base owner had that "feel-good" factor if he bought his car. Can't say the same for the Jazz E prospect now.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 23rd June 2015 at 12:06.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 12:22   #1449
BHPian

Looking at the variants, wish Honda would have offered the SV in automatic instead of the S. I would gone ahead and booked it.

Will also be interesting to see the price difference between SV and V. Would it be fair to say that the V variant only exists so as to pair it with the CVT. The feature difference between V and SV is not a whole lot otherwise to warrant a variant.
ashua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 12:39   #1450
BHPian

@RavenAvi - Are you sure that the Jazz base given on your brochure was just 5.5 lacs ex showroom at Delhi . Ours purchased in aprox 2009/2010 was more pricey. The one that does not have USB.

On this brochure only reason to buy a higher spec JAZZ was the Alloy wheels . Even base model looked loaded .
Old 23rd June 2015, 12:43   #1451
BHPian

Quote:
Compare the 2015 Jazz variants & their features with the earlier-generation's feature list (only petrol line-up, priced between 5.5 lacs - 6 lacs, ex-showroom Delhi):

Back then, even the Jazz Base owner had that "feel-good" factor if he bought his car. Can't say the same for the Jazz E prospect now.
The thing is that the previous Jazz, after the price cut had very low (almost nil ) profit margins.
Honda had been restricting it's volumes because there was no money to be made at that price.

Btw, it's funny how they mention head lamps and tail lamps as features

Last edited by Aaron:) : 23rd June 2015 at 13:02.
Aaron:) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 12:48   #1452
BHPian

Quote:
I agree. I feel this SV variant has the most value, w.r.t standard premium hatchback features, and will sell the most. ABS+EBD check. Airbags check. Now all comes down to final pricing. Good Luck Honda!

As a middle variant, S also holds great value feature-wise on diesel(with ABS).

Last edited by prithvibelli : 23rd June 2015 at 12:59. Reason: Missed out
Old 23rd June 2015, 13:09   #1453
BHPian

Quote:
Compare the 2015 Jazz variants & their features with the earlier-generation's feature list (only petrol line-up, priced between 5.5 lacs - 6 lacs, ex-showroom Delhi

Two points I would like to mention here RavenAvi.
  • When the Jazz was launched and even after price correction, the price difference in variants was very less - they had 3 variants all well loaded but the higher variants getting few more features. This is not the case now.
  • Did the market embrace such a car initially?? No - it was too pricey. Did the market embrace such a car after price cut?? No - it was a flop model.

Had the Jazz got its deserved success last time around, we would have seen a similarly well loaded Jazz this time also. However, Honda would like to learn from that and go the mainstream way - the lessons taught by market leaders Maruti and Hyundai also point to the same. Honda has simply followed it IMO.

The market does not want safety - Reason why VXi and VDi are the most seen variants in Swift and Dzire. Market never wants extra safety - Reason why Asta (O) was not introduced in Elite i20. Basically we get what we demand - we demand creature comforts and useless features and we are getting the same from all manufacturers. We never demanded safety - did we. By We - it is not the BHP-ians - it is the common car buying public.

If I will spend 30k to get fancy alloys and another 30k for a fancy touchscreen music system. But I will not pay 40k extra to buy a model with Airbags - what will the manufacturer do?? He will replace the airbags with these 2 and sell a variant with Alloys and music system for 50k extra which the buyer will embrace. As simple as that.

if this sounded like a rant.

Coming back to Jazz Honda should have done the below IMO.
  • Given Driver Airbag to E and S variants
  • ABS + EBD on all variants
  • Magic seats in SV and above

Otherwise, it is decently kitted and features decently distributed. Good things are
  • Tilt steering in all variants
  • Rear defogger in S and above
  • Driver seat height adjust in S and above
  • SV and above gets dual airbags with ABS + EBD (luckily not limited to top variant alone)
  • Reverse camera and Fog lamps available in SV and above
  • LED tail lamps and LED HMSL for all variants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
Btw, it's funny how they mention head lamps and tail lamps as features
I agree Headlamp is stupid, but LED tail lamp is a differentiator here - no other car in the segment has it - Nothing wrong in highlighting.

Last edited by Vigkey : 23rd June 2015 at 13:33.
Vigkey is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 13:29   #1454
BHPian

Quote:
If I will spend 30k to get fancy alloys and another 30k for a fancy touchscreen music system. But I will not pay 40k extra to buy a model with Airbags - what will the manufacturer do?? He will replace the airbags with these 2 and sell a variant with Alloys and music system for 50k extra which the buyer will embrace. As simple as that.
This is the unfortunate reality of the Indian Market - we just dont take safety seriously. We will not spend 800 - 1000 on a helmet when riding a two wheeler. Even if we have a helmet we wont use, I have seen people riding a bike with the helmet placed in front of them

The only way to change is if the government mandates safety features.

Sorry for the rant.
crisscross is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 13:56   #1455
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I agree Headlamp is stupid, but LED tail lamp is a differentiator here - no other car in the segment has it - Nothing wrong in highlighting.
The Punto Evo has LED tail lights.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed