Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2014, 13:07   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: SCOOP Pics! Next-gen 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India

Doesn't the ground clearance seem unusually high?
amit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 14:51   #137
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
The car looks cool.. I hope they upgrade the petrol engine.
Also, the steering is too light and toy-like which needs to be improved.
+1 to that. A small capacity turbo-petrol would be ideal. The steering too needs to weigh up at higher speeds.

Quote:
Did they fix the problem with the AC?
This was fixed in the facelifted version. The 1.2 petrol's air-conditioner (which has a smaller compressor) now cools the cabin adequately, while those of the 1.4 diesel and 1.4 petrol automatic (with larger compressors) cool very well now.

Quote:
The car can set the sales chart on fire.
It has the potential for sure. This segment will witness a continuous stream of new launches (Bolt, Jazz & possibly Fabia) and facelifted versions (Punto, Polo & Swift) in this year or the early the months of next year, so the competition is going to be very fierce. The biggest beneficiary would be the customer, as he/she would be spoilt for choice! I hope Ford also joins the party with the Fiesta hatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Doesn't the ground clearance seem unusually high?
I don't think it's that high actually - must be somewhere between 165 mm and 175 mm, which is good. Given the long-ish front overhang (& wheelbase), a good GC is an absolute necessity to avoid those nasty hits on unscientific, mountain-like speed breakers commonly found on our roads.

Last edited by RSR : 7th July 2014 at 14:54.
Old 7th July 2014, 17:04   #138
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 (1.2P, 1.4D & 1.4 AT) : Official Review

Autocar India has captured the 1st uncamouflaged pictures of the 2014 i20. Here are the pics from another website Motorbash - http://motorbash.com/uncamouflaged-c...nd-i20-launch/

Frankly I still prefer the looks of the current i20 over the newone, but that's what a lot of people said about the Igen i20 when it was launched : )
The car definitely looks bigger than the outgoing model & will probably have more goodies, rear-ac vents anyone ?

Cheers.
DasAuto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 19:24   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Definitely a more "European"-ish design from Hyundai this time, following in the steps of the Grand i10 and the XCent. The grille design looks much better (unique numberplate placement) and the long, swept-back headlamps look like they have drawn inspiration from the Avventura style of design. Even the foglamps are large, which means the throw from them should be a lot more effective than just cosmetic lighting provided by most cars.

Also, no DRLs in the foglamp area mean that they might see a bump into the headlamp section, a-la the 2014 Verna, which is another big plus.

The rear section doesn't look too appealing, IMO, although it is a step ahead than the current-gen i20's design. The rear headlamps are far too sleek and thin - but if the light's powerful enough then no complaints from the car-buying public, I guess. Looks like twin foglamps have made their way into the rear as well, at the reflector section down below. Considering that the current-gen i20 came with only a single rear foglamp, this should be another big plus.

Side profile looks very appealing, a lot like the Italian cars we have come to know and love. No doubt that this 2015 i20 has been designed keeping it's global appeal in mind, and surely Hyundai have another winner on their cards here. Considering how extensively they have been testing this i20 against the Swift, Polo and the likes, I dare say it would be a better handler and have improved suspension than the current-gen car.

All in all, another winner for Hyundai right here. Price it close to the XCent, Hyundai, and the premium buyers would put the 2015 i20 right at the top of their purchase lists.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 7th July 2014 at 19:26.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 21:59   #140
BHPian

Today morning, immediately after leaking the images of next Gen i20, ACI pulled out the article. In fact if you were to open the article after Google search, you will find that the article is still live but they have replaced photos with an illustration of next Gen i20.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...es-389056.aspx

I think Hyundai management would have shot out a email to all top auto websites warning them of being black listed from attending car launch and other privileges. Not surprisingly, none of the top auto sites are carrying this story.

Hyundai's top management in Korea would have definitely got pissed with India team on this leak.
damager21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 22:43   #141
Team-BHP Support

Disappointed. i20 has grown up to become a sober version of the Grand i10. I do like the fact that fluidic styling philosophy has been toned out, but doesn't feel exciting.

Hopefully, they do the magic with engine/ features.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 7th July 2014, 22:49   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Disappointed. i20 has grown up to become a sober version of the Grand i10. I do like the fact that fluidic styling philosophy has been toned out, but doesn't feel exciting.

Hopefully, they do the magic with engine/ features.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
From the imported cars brought into India from testing, engines and gearboxes were identical. Which means 1.2Petrol MT and 1.4Petrol AT. Diesel is only 1.4MT CRDI.

Also, there was one 1.4L petrol MT imported for R&D.
Old 7th July 2014, 23:57   #143
BHPian

Pics of next Gen i20 released on Motorbeam. Looks to be the same Red i20 caught on camera by ACI
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-hyundaii20scooppicture.jpg  

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-nextgenhyundaii20spy.jpg  

damager21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 08:02   #144
Senior - BHPian

Not all sites have pulled them down. I could get them from carblogindia.

Here goes!
SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-600x399xhyundaii20spyshotfrontleftandrearright.jpg
SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-600x399xhyundaii20spyshotfrontleftside.jpg
SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-600x399xhyundaii20spyshotfrontrightside.jpg

I have also reported this post to Mods. Please delete them if inappropriate.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 10:07   #145
Senior - BHPian

Probable Launch in August.

Hyundai may launch the 2014 I20, model named ‘IB Series’ as early as August, as per the Motorbeam reports.

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/hyunda...n-august-2014/

Could this be the direct result of the Punto & Polo facelift launches ?? Either ways, all the prospective buyers will have their work cut out & spoilt for choices.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 8th July 2014 at 10:09.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 11:19   #146
RSR
Senior - BHPian

It looks like Hyundai have modified the rear section of the Indian version of the car, to duck below the 4m mark. For one, the tail lamps are completely different. And the rear bumper on the Indian version also looks slimmer. In fact, the bumper change could have forced them to modify the tail lamps as well, because the vertically longer design of the European version would look good only with a more protruding rear bumper.

From the pictures, it's not clear where the reverse lamp(s) are going to be placed. It looks like it/they have been moved to the rear bumper, next to the fog lamp(s). This may be okay for variants equipped with a reversing camera, but reverse lamps in the tail lamp cluster would provide much better illumination while backing up in dark areas for variants without the rear camera. I hope they at least provide two reversing lamps and two fog lamps.

I don't know if these test cars have LED DRLs despite being variants with alloys. They are not present next to the front fog lamps, and it's not clear if they are there in the headlamp cluster either. The LED DRLs are a defining feature of the i-gen i20 and they look cool, apart from performing the very important day time illumination feature.

I hope Hyundai equip even the base variant of the car with a driver airbag, LED DRLs, auto-locking doors and height adjustable headrests at the front and rear. They can add more safety and convenience features on the higher variants. I don't care much about a sunroof, but I hope an Asta(O) variant does go on sale with 6 airbags, to continue the trend of being the only car in its class to feature them (apart from being the least expensive car on sale in India to feature 6 of them).
RSR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 11:27   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I don't care much about a sunroof, but I hope an Asta(O) variant does go on sale with 6 airbags, to continue the trend of being the only car in its class to feature them (apart from being the least expensive car on sale in India to feature 6 of them).
+1.

Also, what are the chances of us seeing a 1.4 diesel AT version of the i20 as well? Considering that the Celerio and the Bolt are due to have AMT diesel versions in the near future, Hyundai could one-up all of them by introducing a diesel AT in the 2015 i20. There was a strong rumor of Hyundai testing the Grand i10 with a diesel AT box not too long ago.

A diesel AT Asta variant at around 9L-9.5L OTR would be very welcome, IMO.

After all, they do have the segment-only diesel AT in the Verna. Wouldn't hurt them to plonk the box in the new-gen i20 as well. Would make the premium hatch a bit more desirable, with another unique "First-in-segment" feature.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 12:09   #148
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Also, what are the chances of us seeing a 1.4 diesel AT version of the i20 as well?

After all, they do have the segment-only diesel AT in the Verna. Wouldn't hurt them to plonk the box in the new-gen i20 as well.
I would love to see a diesel automatic variant on sale, too! But I must say, the chances of getting a CRDi AT do look very slim.

There is no i20 CRDi AT variant on sale in Europe now (I don't know if it was earlier). They get only the 6-speed manual gearbox with either the 1.4 CRDi or the 1.1 CRDi.

The 4-speed AT from the Verna 1.6 CRDi should indeed be a bolt-on addition to the i20. The engines are of the same design, and the 1.6 produces more torque as well. So it should be more than capable of handling duties with the 1.4 CRDi.

The only reason they seem to be holding back is cost, I think. They may wait to see the response to other diesel auto hatches (Bolt AMT and perhaps a Polo DSG), before taking the plunge. Which is too conservative a strategy, in my opinion. I fully agree with you that there is nothing like blazing a new trail, leaving the others scrambling to become copycats.

Last edited by RSR : 8th July 2014 at 12:12.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 12:29   #149
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if I like the looks of this thing. I was looking forward to the launch but not so much anymore.
Old 8th July 2014, 14:48   #150
BHPian

Has turned a lot boxier. Reminds me of Fiat UNO from side profile.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks