Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2014, 17:05   #181
BHPian

Re: SCOOP Pics! Next-gen 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India

The front looks like a Figo Ka. Blunt and Bland. The back however looks sweet. They should price it at least 50K lower than the Polo GTs to even have a chance.
Old 29th July 2014, 17:55   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

What spoilt the car for me before any unveiling of any sort is news that it's carrying the 1.2 Kappa engine. This engine simply isn't powerful enough to drag a car of that weight (approx. 1070 kg), it was made for i10 originally. There is no easy way for me to say this because I like Hyundai and have been driving them ever since I became legally eligible for a license, but there is no wow factor in them anymore.

I'm speaking from my heart, when I first saw the i20 in '09 I felt this is great to look at (driving felt otherwise), but globally people loved the looks. The Elantra took the world by storm defining a design that other car makers like Dodge (Dart) took inspiration from. Dodge and Hyundai have an official partnership. That apart its now become gimmicky and predictable, the fog lamps keep changing in shape from a trapezoid to a rhombus, the head and tail lamps peek out several inches from the body line, throw in a couple of lines in the door frame and done. This i20 seems to borrow heavily from the new Punto (similar low slung reverse lamp and wide open front grill with number plate provision inside it). I'm not a big fan of orange color either which seems all the rage (new Polo, Punto, i20, Gi10).

My first car was a Xing, upgrading to a Getz felt like it's several leagues above.. the very solid feel of the door shut, the crisp stalks, the steering and handling, precise gearshift and the very silent torquey 1.4 powerplant, it was my first feeling of motoring nirvana and I never had the same feeling in an i20. Keep trying Hyundai.
Old 29th July 2014, 18:03   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks deetjohn for the pics.
However, this new model is not much to my liking.

More or less, looks like an extended version of the Grand i10
Old 29th July 2014, 18:06   #184
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if I like the looks of this one. The front is a mish mash of shapes and curves of all kinds. The side profile is spoiled by empty wheel well. This design needs bigger tyres. The rear end is okay especially the detailing on the tail lamps but again much too bland in my opinion.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 18:28   #185
BHPian

Wow, the new gen is surely a looker but naming the old one grand of all the things , what were hyundai thinking??
Old 29th July 2014, 19:04   #186
BHPian

Thanks a lot for sharing those pictures! Was eagerly waiting to see.
Bonnet and the room for headlamp did not change at all. Side profile changed and by looks it seems to be lengthier car than the current one. Like others mentioned, this color in the photo may not show it in best light, IMO. I am very much interested to check if Hyundai worked on the structure to fix the handling. It bears sporty looks, eager to see if it carries the same sprit in it behavior. That's only thing I regret in my 2012 i20. Feeling of rear sway during < 40kmph cornering. Hopefully, they would fix that in this new version.
Old 29th July 2014, 19:23   #187
BHPian

The new i20 looks pretty simple in terms of its design. Unlike the Honda Jazz or Fiat Punto Evo where the overall design looks nice and neat, there are bits and pieces in the new i20 which I like and some bits which did not appeal much to me.

This variant does not seem to be the top variant as it does not carry alloy wheels, rear wiper and DRLs.

Comparing the side view of New & Old i20, it seems obvious that the wheelbase has been increased. Both front and rear wheels have been pushed to extremes. Also, wheel wells looks bigger than the old one. Maybe the top variant will come with 15" alloy wheels. Black C pillars give a sporty look to the car. Overall from the side it looks a well proportionate hatch.
SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-new-vs-old-i20-side.png

I like the front design. Elongated headlights with metal insert looks good and it nicely gels with the shoulder line. Strangely, the front grille looks similar in shape to Datsun Go, though in the new i20 the grille is bigger, lower and has a thin chrome border as compared to Datsun Go.
SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-new-vs-old-i20-front.png

The rear design is something which I found to be a bit bland and strange to be honest. In fact, I find it much more appealing in the following IAB render image than the actual one.
SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-2015hyundaii20iabrendering.jpg

The boot lid seems to be broader given the angular design which old generation i20 had. This should give more space and ease for loading / unloading.
SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-new-vs-old-i20-rear.png

Source: Pics posted by @deetjohn on TeamBHP, IAB & Hyundai India

Last edited by damager21 : 29th July 2014 at 19:43.
damager21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 19:29   #188
e46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Got some better pictures of the new i20 from a birdie.

Great John. Any inside news, if this new gen i20 would have all black interiors?

Abhi
Old 29th July 2014, 19:40   #189
BHPian

I hope Hyundai dosen't underplay the wheel size with this refresh. The segment calls for 15 inch Rims whereas the current i20 only got 14 inchers, knowing the fact that Verna sports 16 inchers as standard that is highest in the segment.
Old 29th July 2014, 22:05   #190
BHPian

Wow! The new i20 looks so much "European". IMO this looks more premium than the existing model.

The taillights design and the registration plate area at the rear seems to have come from its elder sibling, the i30. <--(Click to view image)

This will be a topseller if they improve the handling of the car in this model.
I'm not a big fan of fluidic designs but I like this one.
Old 29th July 2014, 23:05   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
I hope Hyundai dosen't underplay the wheel size with this refresh. The segment calls for 15 inch Rims whereas the current i20 only got 14 inchers, knowing the fact that Verna sports 16 inchers as standard that is highest in the segment.
With the segment leader Swift having 15" on the Z variant, it is unlikely that i20 might be getting a 14" on the top variant. Hyundai always pitches i20 as half a segment above the Swift. However, the Magna might still get 14" steel wheels.
Old 30th July 2014, 00:38   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post

The rear design is something which I found to be a bit bland and strange to be honest. In fact, I find it much more appealing in the following IAB render image than the actual one.
Attachment 1267714

The boot lid seems to be broader given the angular design which old generation i20 had. This should give more space and ease for loading / unloading.
Attachment 1267712

Source: Pics posted by @deetjohn on TeamBHP, IAB & Hyundai India
The car in the spy pic is a india specific i20 with different rear design. May be they have designed it like that to make it under 4m. Car. The actuall international version i20 will have same rear design shown in the IAB render
Old 30th July 2014, 06:59   #193
BHPian

Another excellent scoop, exclusively on TeamBHP, Kudos to DeetJohn.

Like many others said, this time Hyundai disappointed. Probably their last launches might have raised the bar for themselves. I did not like both front and rear end. The car looks too flashy.

Now we need to see the pricing and engine options.
Old 30th July 2014, 09:55   #194
Senior - BHPian

Like member dhanushmenon, I'm not liking this design over the existing i20. The rear looks acceptable but that front, to me, is hideous. Headlamp and bumper design just seems random and not well thought of.

Not a car I fancy anyway but existing i20's front design is to me, more visually pleasing. It'll sell anyway.

@ dark.knight: Hyundai will continue to please it's traditional target market, the mileage seekers. Any more powerful than a 1.2, the mileage drops and then that's what we'll complain about next. In any case, i20 hasn't been an enthusiast car (as far as I've known, heard) so until they bring their in-development 1 litre 106hp turbo petrol, it'll be the 1.2 we'll see on the i20, i suppose.
Old 30th July 2014, 10:39   #195
Senior - BHPian

Front is quite similar to the upcoming compact SUV Hyundai iX-25. And the rear, well who all agree that the C-Pillar is very 'Mobilio-ish' ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed