Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2014, 09:44   #241
BHPian

Re: SCOOP Pics! Next-gen 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India

Design sketch of the all new i20 released by Hyundai along with launch teaser. They are calling this the 'Elite i20'.

Surprisingly the spy pics we saw yesterday had 'i20' as the badge on it and not 'Elite i20'.
SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-2015hyundaii20elitei20renderingimage.jpg
SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-2015hyundaii20elitei20renderingimagerear.jpg
SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-2015hyundaii20elitei20indiabookings.jpg

Their press release says:

Hyundai Motor hints at the style of All-New “The Elite i20”

Inspired by ‘Fluidic Sculpture 2.0’ design philosophy
• Styled at Hyundai Motor’s Design Centre Europe
• Generous proportions created by its packaging and dimensions

August 1, 2014, New Delhi - Hyundai Motor has revealed design renderings of All-New “The Elite i20”, which was designed at Hyundai Motor’s Design Centre Europe in Rüsselsheim, Germany.

The new version of Hyundai’s popular B-segment model features the brand’s ‘Fluidic Sculpture 2.0’ design philosophy, in a sophisticated and distinctive design.

The long hood and generous shape create a powerful stance for the All-New i20. The body sides are sculpted yet the overall architecture is clear and simple, with the cabin sitting cleanly on the body. In profile, the dark treatment of the C-pillar visually accentuates the car’s length.

The front presents a bold new interpretation of the well-established Hyundai hexagonal grille and a new thin horizontal strip connecting the headlamps. At the back, the wrap-around rear window and unique treatment for the lamp clusters combine with the car’s hatchback proportions to create a distinctive design.

Pre bookings for “The Elite i20” will commence from August 01, 2014 in India.

They also launched following teaser video

Source: Hyundai India

Last edited by damager21 : 1st August 2014 at 09:57.
damager21 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 09:48   #242
BHPian

Hyundai folks have done a great job here. I love the car and I sincerely hope they have worked on the suspension too. If yes, it will give a tough competition to the new polo and punto.

Hyundai, please prove me correct here.
Abhi_abarth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 09:52   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

All the best to Hyundai for the "Elite" i20's success, but the nomenclature of it's recent offerings is mind-boggling and eye-rolling.

The "Grand" i10, the "Elite" i20, what next? All-new Verna to be called the "Royal" Verna??

Owners of the existing/previous i20 might feel discriminated. The current-gen i20 is no less "elite" than this all-new one. In fact, the i20 has always been in the elite-league, with it's best-in-class features list.

I sincerely hope this marketing gimmick works. Of course, the car-buyer will go by the pricing and the product on offer, and not driven by just to bring a piece of the "elite" to his home. (I hope!)
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 10:02   #244
BHPian

I liked the front end, It seems to me that Hyundai is just a step away from Punto-ishly pushing the front grill down to the bumper. Wouldn't be surprised if I see this design change in subsequent Hyundai models.

IMHO, Rear end looks incomplete in comparison to the front end. Hyundai should consider adding the chrome outline to the rear reflectors similar to Punto Evo. I would even prefer a thin chrome outline around tail lamps.

Last edited by MunnabhaiMBBS : 1st August 2014 at 10:03.
Old 1st August 2014, 10:02   #245
Senior - BHPian

Wow talk about stealing the show, suddenly the Punto Evo & Polo does not seem to be new anymore. Hyundai might be having snooping agents in various company, how else they can steal the march over competitors and launch a new design within months of other car launches.

Jokes aside I liked the design, its contemporary and less fluidic, the rear looks very european. They sure have a nice design team. Having said that the top end variants could have got DRLs on the headlight eyelids aka SantaFe

Last edited by motomaverick : 1st August 2014 at 10:03.
Old 1st August 2014, 11:05   #246
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Anyone notice that the top of dash is also beige! Not full top but partially beige on top of dash. This may cause a problem with reflections.

Secondly, this car looks huge and seems to have everything in size XL. From the huge front grill, headlights to long bonnet, massive doors and wide stance. Same on the interiors, all the switchgear/buttons look like XXL size. Look at the start/stop button and the climate control switches.
Yes, beige tends to cause a lot of reflections on the windscreen. I would have preferred a darker colour combination (like the current chocolate brown, black & beige or something similar), if not an all black interior.

Speaking of switches and buttons, don't these look suspiciously like the ones for cruise control?

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-image.jpg

They cannot be the audio/phone buttons, as they are all clustered together on the left of the steering. It's possible that they could be ones to control the MID, but the +/- toggle button makes one believe it could be the cruise control ones. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Although the overhang looks long from some angles, it seems to end abruptly. Maybe that's because this new i20 is a shade longer than 4000 mm?
Yes, indeed! The new European i20 is certainly going to be more than 4m in length, and has completely different tail lamps and a much beefier rear bumper.

Hyundai India have done some chopping, to bring the length to below 4m. Apart from the tail section, I think they may have also shortened to nose just a wee little bit. We'll know for sure once the European version is unveiled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
All the best to Hyundai for the "Elite" i20's success, but the nomenclature of it's recent offerings is mind-boggling and eye-rolling.

The "Grand" i10, the "Elite" i20, what next? All-new Verna to be called the "Royal" Verna??

I think the "Elite" is merely a differentiating term to indicate a completely new generation product and since they've used quite a few adjectives before, they simply had to find a new one somehow.

They have done this before with new products such as the "Fluidic" Verna, the "neo Fluidic" Elantra & the Sonata "Embera" and even with facelifts ("i-gen" i20, Getz "Prime", Santro "Xing" etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Owners of the existing/previous i20 might feel discriminated. The current-gen i20 is no less "elite" than this all-new one. In fact, the i20 has always been in the elite-league, with it's best-in-class features list.
I agree that the i20 is no less "elite" with its very long & useful features list. But I don't feel discriminated at all, more amused at the way Hyundai India is trying hard to come up with names that seek to be different, yet similar to their previous products (Grand i10 & Xcent).

Last edited by RSR : 1st August 2014 at 11:34.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 11:37   #247
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Not sure if I agree with you on this. I find the Polo and the Punto both far more classier looking than this. This seems to have been overdesigned and side profile is spoilt by the blackened c-pillar.
Just read the above tweet post.... 'Elite' i20... meh! ugh!
Actually even I don't agree that this i20 looks classier than the Polo and Punto. But I am not saying based on what I feel. If you look at this car it is not classy but a show off. The sheer dimensions, width, length, long bonnet and some exaggerated styling elements. All this makes the car stand out from the pact and this is what the masses love.

For me the Polo is no.1 followed by the new Punto and then this i20 but for the masses this car will come across as striking. And because of that the other 2 will feel outdated since they are actually just smaller facelifts.

You and me may not prefer this but look at the market. The fluidic Verna is a prime example as well vs the Line and Vento.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 12:04   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

For me the Polo is no.1 followed by the new Punto and then this i20 but for the masses this car will come across as striking. And because of that the other 2 will feel outdated since they are actually just smaller facelifts.
Totally agree with you Vid, but I have to admit, though I own a Polo myself, 'Pre-F/l Punto' still leaves me gaping to this day !!

However, I also have to confess that if the 'Elite I20' production model ended up looking really like this...

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-2015hyundaii20elitei20renderingimage.jpg

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-2015hyundaii20elitei20renderingimagerear.jpg

...Hands down would have been the hottest hatch in India.

Why ?? Simply put, it would have been an Indian version of this..

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-abtvolkswagenscirocco1large.jpg

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-images.jpg

Last edited by Vik0728 : 1st August 2014 at 12:10.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 12:13   #249
BHPian

Hyundai has got it spot on again. This baby will definitely sell if not priced outrageously. That center console is awesome!! Looks like a straight lift from the Mercs/BMWs & Audis. Hats off to Hyundai for that, at what price they manage ti deliver it is another question - not too sure if it really demands a premium as compared to say something like the Verna which really's a lot more car. The new model's definitely bigger & the rear's sculpted superbly (better than the current gen i20 which I always thought was a bit too plain). It's the fornt that's a little dissapointing - really comes across as awkward. But as an overall package it's definitely gonna sell.

The center console with the ACC in black finish is something I absolutely love. Will try to find out if that can be retro-fitted to the existing model
Old 1st August 2014, 14:18   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
From the above pic, lots of part sharing with the Xcent is apparant.

The power window/mirror switches, Gearshift, steering wheel (although the audio/call controls are differently placed), and even the choclate colour seem to be a straight pick from the Xcent/Grand.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 14:28   #251
Senior - BHPian

The looks are a bit of a let down, going by the Hyundai standards of fluidic designs. the exterior proportions are all wrong, i feel. The interiors are good, but adding just the right amount of chrome highlights would have taken off the plastic-ky feel that it now shows. Hope there is a new 1.5L diesel to take the fight to the Polo in terms of performance.
Old 1st August 2014, 15:21   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
T the exterior proportions are all wrong, i feel.
That is because the photo is compressed. You should stretch it a bit vertically - it is rather more proportionate compared to the outgoing model

Check out these photos from Indianautosblog

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/08/n...nterior-139715
Old 1st August 2014, 16:08   #253
Senior - BHPian

The new interiors seem to be leaps ahead of the dated interiors of the now discontinued i20. We will have to wait till the 11th for official launch of the Elite i20 for more details on the price and exact specifications.

Link to news article
Old 1st August 2014, 16:20   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
That is because the photo is compressed. You should stretch it a bit vertically - it is rather more proportionate compared to the outgoing model

Check out these photos from Indianautosblog

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/08/n...nterior-139715
Like I said, it is not a terrible design, but I still think Hyundai could have done better. Even after looking at the photos in the link you had posted, I still fell the car has too long a snout with long overhangs to be called 'proportionate'. That is just my view though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
The new interiors seem to be leaps ahead of the dated interiors of the now discontinued i20. We will have to wait till the 11th for official launch of the Elite i20 for more details on the price and exact specifications.

Link to news article
I dint think the interiors of the outgoing i20 was 'dated' but I certainly always felt the colour choices for the dash could have been better.

Also, I do not like to see beige on the top half of my dash ( read: I do not want to see the dash's reflection on the windshield while driving on sunny days )
Old 1st August 2014, 16:45   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Like I said, it is not a terrible design, but I still think Hyundai could have done better. Even after looking at the photos in the link you had posted, I still fell the car has too long a snout with long overhangs to be called 'proportionate'. That is just my view though.
Oh, OK. Actually my preference is for a powerful looking bonnet. The earlier were more cab-forward styling. My preferences is for cabs that sit back, relaxed
Closed Thread

Most Viewed