Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2013, 14:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L

Note from Mod: Now that the Elite i20 has been launched, please continue the discussion in Team-BHP's Official Review thread.

Link

This thread is now closed.

------------------

These spyshots, the first ever ones of the next generation Hyundai i20 in India, are courtesy Team-BHP reader, Abdul Shukoor. From the spyshots, it's easy to discern that the 2014 Hyundai i20 has been spotted in Tamil Nadu, the southern Indian state that hosts the Hyundai factory, and the place where most of Hyundai's Indian testing happens. The giveaways of the location are the signboards, which read in Tamil.

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-2014-hyundai-i20-spyshot-1.jpg

The Hyundai i20, a B+ segment hatchback that replaced the Getz, was first launched in 2008. Half a decade since, the global small car from Hyundai has been a big success for the brand across multiple geographies. Last year, Hyundai gave the i20 a mid-life makeover, through which the car jumped onto the Fluidic design bandwagon, apart from getting additional kit. Then on, the car has been a strong seller in the Indian car market. As the Hyundai i20 facelift was based on the same platform as the original 2008 i20, with most changes being cosmetic ones, the time's now apt for a full model change.

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-2014-hyundai-i20-spyshot-2.jpg

The full model change for the i20 is expected to come in 2014, with test mules of the car already spotted in South Korea. From the looks of it, the next generation 2014 Hyundai i20 seems to be larger than the current version of the car. That said, the camouflage at the rear does its job of masking the car's dimensions pretty well. Up front, the 2014 Hyundai i20 does show a striking similarity to the design of the upcoming 2014 i20 hatchback. So, don't be surprised if the 2014 models of the i10 and i20 feature similar Fluidic styling up front. With the next generation Honda Jazz just around the corner, Hyundai will want to load up the i20 with safety equipment and creature comforts.

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-2014-hyundai-i20-spyshot-3.jpg

Now that the car has been spotted in India, it's just a matter of time before Hyundai launches it here. Expect the 2014 Hyundai i20 to continue motoring on with petrol and turbo diesel engine options. The Hyundai i20 is the benchmark in the B+ segment when it comes to the sheer number of features and top notch interiors. The facelifted model could continue that facet of the car. However, most enthusiasts would want sharper handling and more feel engineered into the i20's steering. If Hyundai manages to improve the ride and handling bit to match a Ford Figo or Volkswagen Polo, the next generation i20 has all the trappings of making for a terrific all round package.

Link to News Section

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd September 2014 at 11:41. Reason: Adding a closing note + link to official review.
JayPrashanth is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 14:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: SCOOP Pics! Next-gen 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India

Nice scoop. Current i20 looks pretty cool today. Good move by Hyundai to stay on top of the competition by giving new design before people start cursing dated looks.

Having said that, what are the chances of this being a sub-4m sedan based on i20 ? It could be having a false cladding to give appearance of a hatch. Are we 100% sure this is a hatch ?
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 14:48   #3
BHPian

Re: SCOOP Pics! Next-gen 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India

I think 2014 is going to be exciting. With Honda ready with its next gen Jazz with a diesel heart, it's going to be interesting how the next gen i20 fares up against it. Long live competition!
Old 7th June 2013, 14:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

@rajshenoy, you seem to have a very valid point there about this possibly being a compact-sedan. Had another look at the pics, especially the rear and it does seem possible.
With the CS segment (Dzire, Amaze) being the rage, can't blame Hyundai for wanting a pie of the action.
Old 7th June 2013, 15:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Nice scoop. Current i20 looks pretty cool today. Good move by Hyundai to stay on top of the competition by giving new design before people start cursing dated looks.

Having said that, what are the chances of this being a sub-4m sedan based on i20 ? It could be having a false cladding to give appearance of a hatch. Are we 100% sure this is a hatch ?
Current i20 is 5mm short of 4m mark. I don't think Hyundai would want to add a boot in those 5mm, assuming they don't shorten the rest of the car, which I don't think they have. Even the OP says it seems larger. Plus CS looks ugly, incoherent. They wouldn't want to destroy a best-seller, would they?
black_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 15:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
Current i20 is 5mm short of 4m mark. I don't think Hyundai would want to add a boot in those 5mm, assuming they don't shorten the rest of the car, which I don't think they have. Even the OP says it seems larger. Plus CS looks ugly, incoherent. They wouldn't want to destroy a best-seller, would they?
It was just a question popping on a sleepy Friday afternoon . Test mules are called so because they are suppose to look like mules anyway. So false cladding might be just to keep us guessing.

But then what does larger i20 mean. Since i20 is just short of 4m standing at 3995mm, 5mm increase also will not be something that will appear larger. and hyundai is not fool enough to give us a hatch which is longer than 4m

i20 has longish bonnet area and only way for them to squeeze into sub-4m is by having a i10 like bonnet(which will mean i10 like space too)
Old 7th June 2013, 15:48   #7
BHPian

though i don't affirmatively say that its a CS based on i20 platform, the camouflaged profile strongly suggests that it has some kind of extension projection at the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
sajusherief is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 16:04   #8
BHPian

Looking at the rear wheel position, IMHO it does look like a compact sedan.

The alloys on this don't look good!

There is nothing wrong with the current i20 in the looks department. I hope they do not bring in a ugly facelifted version just for the sake of bringing it as Hyundai did with the Verna Transform!
Old 7th June 2013, 16:12   #9
Team-BHP Support

All Hyundai camouflaged cars have that huge projection at the back. Case in point:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post3066332 (2013 Hyundai i10 spied. EDIT : Spotted in India on Page 2!)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ing-india.html
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 17:23   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Spied agian;

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-0_468_700_http__i.haymarket.net.au_extraimages_20130607085707_new_i20_spypic1.jpg

Source: http://www.autocarindia.com/News/346...-in-india.aspx
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 19:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

One thing for sure from the latest pic of the rear of the car, there seems to be some kind of a canopy with support aka autoriksha or something that has been put on to camouflage the rear especially the upper half.

Look closely at the tail lamps are definitely where they need to be in a hatch profile and most certainly points that it is a hatch indeed.
Old 7th June 2013, 21:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

The compact sedan that Hyundai is building for India and other emerging markets is expected to be built at Turkey apart from India. Hyundai's Turkey head confirmed that the new compact sedan would be based on the 2014 i10 and not the i20, and this makes a lot of sense given the current length of the i20.

From the dimensions of the test mule, especially the length of the bonnet and the front overhangs, it doesn't seem to be the i10 based compact sedan. We've had many compact sedans such as the Dzire, Indigo eCS and the Amaze and a common thread that connects all these products is the boot added to the hatchback. The front end remains more or less the same, especially the bonnet. So, the i10 based compact sedan can be ruled out.

Also, the same kind of camouflage is also found on the 2014 i10 test mules and most of the mules have been confirmed to be hatchbacks by folks who have driven in during cold weather testing.

Taking all these factors into consideration, the original post has concluded that the spyshots are of the 2014 next gen i20.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 8th June 2013, 01:19   #13
BHPian

Could this be a new Nissan rather than a Hyundai ?

Look at the alloy wheels - 4 petal-like spokes, and look at the Micra refresh

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ow-pune-3.html

Edit: The Nissan plant is also in Chennai, TN !

@Suhaas : yes, I know it isn't the Micra refresh, the spied car is significantly different. But alloy wheel designs seldom match between different brands, even though they're bought in from 3rd parties. I haven't heard of any other Nissan hatches due for India, but Nissan not having done too well, and i20 being recently facelifted, makes me think Nissan might be contemplating a different model. The size is of course closer to i20. What else could it be, a Ford Fiesta hatch - na, roof line is different.

Last edited by Ricci : 8th June 2013 at 01:45. Reason: typo, added detail about Nissan factory in TN
Old 8th June 2013, 01:34   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Could this be a new Nissan rather than a Hyundai ?

Look at the allow wheels - 4 petal-like spokes, and look at the Micra refresh

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ow-pune-3.html
The Micra Refresh's glass house and pillar design differs a great deal from the car spotted in this thread. I think it IS the i20. And I don't think it's a CS. They're probably trying to hide the more pronounced coupe-like design element of the car I'm of the opinion.
Old 8th June 2013, 02:03   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Having said that, what are the chances of this being a sub-4m sedan based on i20 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@rajshenoy, you seem to have a very valid point there about this possibly being a compact-sedan.
Forget about the compact sedan speculations - I am wondering if this hatchback will meet the 4m target! i20 itself is just few mm short of that mark and judging by the length and wheelbase - this one seems to be longer than the i20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajusherief View Post
though i don't affirmatively say that its a CS based on i20 platform, the camouflaged profile strongly suggests that it has some kind of extension projection at the rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
One thing for sure from the latest pic of the rear of the car, there seems to be some kind of a canopy with support aka autoriksha
Projection is intentional to hide the main design elements of the car. Anyone taking the Chennai - Bangalore highway can keep a eye on these test mules, specially the stretch near SriPerumbudur.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks