Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2014, 18:24   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: SCOOP Pics! Next-gen 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India

Now ODI have spotted the 2015 Hyunda i20 around Hyundai’s Chennai plant. Here are the pics:

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-1hyundaii206.jpg

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-2hyundaii204.jpg

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-3hyundaii203.jpg

Quote:
As per the automotive website, the car looks noticeably wider & slightly shorter now. There will be a new grille, headlamps & alloy wheels. Hyundai will update the current bulbs to LEDs at the rear (posted earlier). The glass area is also larger & the car is expected to offer class leading space thanks to better management inside the cabin. They also expect the new i20 to also offer first in segment comfort features.

Also, the new i20 is expected to feature an updated 1.2-litre petrol Kappa motor & an all-new 1.5-litre diesel engine. It is rumoured that the next-gen i20 will also have a performance-oriented variant from Hyundai’s N division.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 18th March 2014 at 18:28.
CARDEEP is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 09:37   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

From all the photos I've seen these are the practical comfort features that will be in the new-er i20. Since India is an important market for this car most of the features in the Euro-spec car should be present locally too.
  • 1 litre bottle holders in all 4 door cards
  • Dual front arm-rest with storage (finally a very useful feature)
  • Rear a.c vents
  • Rear seats with adjustable back recline (a nod to its predecessor the Getz)
  • Front head rest with added bolster.
  • Dual colour beige/black interior easy to maintain.
  • As per reports the centre console would be like a mini i30
  • Petrol engine power tuned for more torque and a couple of extra bhp to supplement the weight.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 10:05   #93
BANNED

So now its confirmed its a compact sedan.
Might actually work out.

The i20 hatch has always been overpriced vis-a-vis the competition. The sedan may actually justify the price tag a bit better.

Last edited by HyperRetard : 24th March 2014 at 10:06.
HyperRetard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 10:14   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRetard View Post
So now its confirmed its a compact sedan. Might actually work out. The i20 hatch has always been overpriced vis-a-vis the competition. The sedan may actually justify the price tag a bit better.
Where is it mentioned its a compact sedan?

IMO it can't be a compact sedan 1. i20 is too large for converting to a compact sedan with new one expected to become even bigger and 2. Xcent has just been launched for the Indian market, while i20 is a global car.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 20:26   #95
Senior - BHPian

The current i20 suffers from slightly slower acceleration due to its high kerb weight. How is this problem expected to be fixed in the new i20 if it will come with the same 1.2 kappa which was brilliant for the i10 not not liked well in the i20.

Dynamics was always a question in he Hyundais other than the slightly improved Grand i10. Hope the comfort levels are slightly higher (like on the lines of grand i10). That will take away the boaty feel.
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 11:36   #96
Team-BHP Support

i20 spotted without rear camouflage as well as interiors:

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-2015hyundaii200125255b325255d.jpg

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-2015hyundaii200325255b325255d.jpg

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-2015hyundaii200825255b325255d.jpg

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-2015hyundaii200425255b325255d.jpg

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-2015hyundaii200725255b325255d.jpg

Source: http://www.carscoops.com/2014/03/our...undai-i20.html
Vid6639 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 11:50   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for putting it up here Vid6639, and what a find by Carscoops, after months of attempts by Hyundai to not show even a small part of the interior.

The center aircon vents are finally just the way I like it, small and practical. The whole interior has become more practical and straightforward. The steering wheel is from the new i10 which looks nice compared to the earlier i20 4 spoke steering with silver inputs. The rear camera seems to be below the Hyundai logo rather than being integrated inside the logo which flip opens like the i30. Rear lights match up to the renders. Overall quite different from the car that we know today. More straight lines which gives it an athletic look. The interior layout is borrowing from the next gen Sonata. I would bet on this car to be the outright segment leader once released as Hyundai has worked on its handling and torque.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 11:50   #98
Senior - BHPian

WOW! i20 is getting to a hell lot of car to drool about.

Hope Hyundai will keep those interior and equipments (at least 90%) intact for India .

Finally double sided reverse lamps indeed
myavu is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 20:04   #99
Senior - BHPian

Doesnt the Mobilio rear look very similar to the New i20 Rear.

Pic Source for Mobilio : Motorbeam
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-2015hyundaii200125255b325255d.jpg  

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-2014hondamobiliorear.jpg  

karanraheja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 20:32   #100
Team-BHP Support

Plenty of changes evident from the interiors as well. But ORVMs with knob based control seems out of place. Just for the test mules perhaps. Or do the entry-level variants of the current i20 come with the knob based controls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Doesnt the Mobilio rear look very similar to the New i20 Rear.
More like the Honda Vezel rather?

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-2015hondavezelliveshot11.jpg
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 00:00   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Plenty of changes evident from the interiors as well. But ORVMs with knob based control seems out of place. Just for the test mules perhaps. Or do the entry-level variants of the current i20 come with the knob based controls?
Attachment 1223591
I too believe this is the entry or mid level variant also because of the dummy space fillers instead of buttons on the steering wheel.
Old 26th March 2014, 12:25   #102
RSR
Senior - BHPian

The next-gen. i20 looks like a nice evolution in line with the slightly toned down, new "Fluidic Precision" design language of Hyundai. The rear-view camera is separately mounted like on the Nissan Micra, instead of being integrated into the hatch-opening handle. The car seems to be the widest in its class, and the Indian test mules seem to have a raised suspension and improved GC, which is a very good thing.

The interiors also seem to have evolved nicely. Though this looks like a lower variant (for Europe) with those non-electric ORVMs and lack of steering-mounted audio (and phone) controls, it still has neatly integrated audio and climate control knobs/buttons.

What I don't like are the door opening levers - they don't seem to have an internal lock lever for each individual door. While this may be in line with European tastes, they are a no-no for India. What's more, all Hyundais sold in India so far do have an internal lock lever on each door (AFAIK), which is how it should be. I hope Hyundai India modify the design to include an internal lock lever on each door before they launch the car here.

Last edited by RSR : 26th March 2014 at 12:42.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 12:46   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
What I don't like are the door opening levers - they don't seem to have an internal lock lever for each individual door.
Actually if it makes it to India without a lock knob it's better. This method is much more user friendly and intuitive unlike the manual mechanism present now, allow me to explain. This car may be programmed to lock upon ignition start or upon 20kmph speed electrically. We can also manually override it by pressing the electronic door lock button on the driver arm-pad. Any other passenger choosing to exit the vehicle can do so by merely pulling the door lock lever which will have two functions integrated into its movement, when opened a half inch that door will unlock and when opened further the door will be released for opening and when shut again the BCM will detect lock as default on the driver side and lock that one as well.

The only difference now is that the mechanical movements are hidden and more functions are programmed into the BCM to intuitively guess the driver/key-fob preferences. Such cars having this BCM can even be programmed to open only the driver door when remote unlocking.

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th July 2014 at 17:12. Reason: Fixing quote
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 13:08   #104
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Actually if it makes it to India without a lock knob it's better.
Well, to each one his own preferences, I guess. I personally would think twice (or thrice) before buying a car without an individual internal lock lever on each door.

Maybe it's a psychological thingy, but I simply don't like the absence of an individual internal door lock lever at all. Maybe the mind has got used to the assumption (not necessarily the case, especially in India) that the absence of an internal door lock lever goes together with the presence of dead-locks.

I simply loathe the concept of dead-locks because of all the horror stories of people getting locked up in cars (even on this forum) with no way of opening the doors. Having everything controlled by electrics/electronics without a manual back-up is a very, very poor design, in my humble opinion. The Europeans can have their stupid dead-locks, just don't bring them here.

I don't mean to say dead-locks and absent internal door lock levers go together, because it's not the case always. I guess it's more of a psychological hurdle to overcome.

The presence of an individual internal lock lever is so much more reassuring (despite knowing the fact that even such a design can be coupled with the dreaded dead-locks), psychologically speaking.

Quote:
This car may be programmed to lock upon ignition start or upon 20kmph speed electrically.
Quote:
We can also manually override it by pressing the electronic door lock button on the driver arm-pad.
Quote:
Such cars having this BCM can even be programmed to open only the driver door when remote unlocking.
I believe it's possible to do all these things even on a car equipped with individual internal door lock levers on each door.

Quote:
Any other passenger choosing to exit the vehicle can do so by merely pulling the door lock lever which will have two functions integrated into its movement
Sure, although some people may prefer it this way for the added convenience, I don't like this method one bit. There are more chances of opening the door accidentally. In a country where people give all sorts of stupid reasons for not wearing a seat-belt, this can even be a safety hazard.

For me, an individual door lock lever on each door is a must have feature. More importantly, dead-locks are a strict no-no!

But like I mentioned earlier, to each his own!

Last edited by RSR : 26th March 2014 at 13:33.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 17:41   #105
BHPian

Couple of more snaps. The boot opens higher like Maruti Swift which would make loading and unloading a bit difficult.

Also, the rear view would be limited by thick C pillar.
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-hyundaii20a.jpg  

SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.89L-hyundaii20b.jpg  

damager21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks