Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2014, 14:36   #556
Senior - BHPian

Re: SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet.fever View Post

Guys I am going to book Elite i20 Sportz.
Any suggestions about the color ?
Hey scarlet.fever congrats on your decision and it really is one of the VFM hatchs currently available in India.

Regarding the colour, it is you who would be owning it and so ensure you get to pick the colour you will cherish for the rest of the ownership.

With the European Grin and stance, IMO White & Blue look the best.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 20th August 2014 at 14:37.
Old 20th August 2014, 14:36   #557
BANNED

Re: SCOOP Pics! 2014 Hyundai i20 spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Now launched @ 4.8

My wife chose red as well so Red it would be..
I am also highly disappointed. Ferrari is in a royal mess which is very sad to see and ever more sad to see is Alonso wasting his talent.
Coming back I am booking it tomorrow morning.
Old 20th August 2014, 15:23   #558
BHPian

Saw the new i20 test drive vehicle near Advaith (ORR). It was while colored one with test drive vinyls on the sides. For the common eye, the back side with it's long tail lights is nothing short of the luxury segment. Should see how it is at night. Probably the only hatchback in India with tail lights as long as some sedans. Hyundai ticked all the right boxes in design.
Old 20th August 2014, 15:50   #559
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post
How long is the clutch travel in the Elite i20
The diesel i20 has longer clutch travel than what you'd expect in a hatchback. It'll get annoying in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Will update on the petrol's clutch in our review.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 16:26   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Has anybody who had a chance to test drive taken a look at the underbody to see if there is enough protection for the engine/sump etc and other key underbody areas? If I recall correctly, this was a major flaw in the i10 Grand as pointed out by the TeamBHP review.
I checked the under body. There is an under body engine guard in place, like in verna
Raghav_K is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 22:19   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The diesel i20 has longer clutch travel than what you'd expect in a hatchback. It'll get annoying in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Will update on the petrol's clutch in our review.
For me the clutch travel is not longer than Punto. It may be longer than other hatchbacks but I don't know. But with right driving position which is achieved easily and quickly by adjusting both seat and steering, clutch travel can be managed better than Punto. I am comparing both cos I have test driven both back to back.
vijayk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 01:37   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorebhp View Post
Insurance guy calls, basically telling me that he will not lower premium (because it's a new car and if not me, next guy will pay the same amount). Now I need to talk to Advaith once again to see if they are still 'letting' me buy insurance on my own.
Yeah, heard that story before. When I bought my Verna few years ago, my dealer tried to pull that one on me & even lying to my face that 'Hyundai won't allow you to buy outside insurance'.

One nasty email to Hyundai corporate in Chennai & I had the dealership call me back in 6 hours, practically crawling on the floors.

I suggest you write an email to Hyundai narrating this nonsense from Advaith & copy to IRDA. These scammy dealers need to be dealt toughly.
Desi Dybuk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 11:30   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi Dybuk View Post
I suggest you write an email to Hyundai narrating this nonsense from Advaith & copy to IRDA. These scammy dealers need to be dealt toughly.
Just a correction so that we don't blame wrong guys. It was Trident Hyundai that tried this trick. Advaith Hyundai have NO issues with me getting insurance on my own.
Old 21st August 2014, 12:12   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorebhp View Post
Just a correction so that we don't blame wrong guys. It was Trident Hyundai that tried this trick. Advaith Hyundai have NO issues with me getting insurance on my own.
Wouldn't be fair to blame all Trident branches either. I have booked one with Trident on the Hosur Road. I was told upfront it's my choice whether to opt for the bundled insurance or arrange one on my own. In fact I was given 2 performa invoices - 1 with and the other without the insurance charges.

Having scouted around all of the Hyundai dealers in Bangalore, all I can say is that none of them are angels
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 12:16   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I am NOT sure how many new generation Hyundais have you been in; but they all have class leading quality (sometime rivaling two segments above). If they have placed themselves as a premium manufacturer, they earned it. Sadly, in India, I am yet to come across (m)any manufactures (less than 20L) who offer that kind of quality in their cars.
Reading the above, I'm quite sure you haven't subjected yourself to checking the quality of Skoda Fabia and VW Polo cars, to claim any other manufacturer, south of 20L, do not provide the kind of quality Hyundai provides..

Hope we're not getting carried away. Class leading for features, maybe. Class leading for quality, not really.
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 12:31   #566
BANNED

Guys I just booked Elite i20 Sports Petrol passion red colour.
The delivery period is 4-5 weeks approx.
I am in the process of getting insurance quote from outside.
Old 21st August 2014, 13:20   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet.fever View Post
Guys I just booked Elite i20 Sports Petrol passion red colour.
The delivery period is 4-5 weeks approx.
I am in the process of getting insurance quote from outside.
Congratulations on your new purchase. The car looks stunning in red and looks fabulous with those new alloys.

Do keep us posted on your initial buying experience.
Old 21st August 2014, 13:30   #568
BANNED

The sports model does not have alloys it is the Sports(0) and Asta which have them.
I will keep everyone posted on the buying experience.
Old 21st August 2014, 15:28   #569
BHPian

Just came back from a quick TD of the diesel i20.

It's a brilliant car. The plastics quality, the interior space, the boot, the features...everything top notch.

The ride is also miles better than the outgoing i20. The turbo lag has been reduced considerably, Engine noise is almost non existent, and the suspension and steering feedback are noticeably improved.

All this while retaining the feeling of a big car.

But I'll never buy it. And I would also caution anyone considering it to think again. Here's why:

I went for a TD only because I had time to kill while giving my i10 for servicing @ 55000 km. You know how much the estimate the service advisor gave me?

21,000 rupees + taxes. No it's not a typo. 21,000 rupees + taxes

That right away just killed any enthusiasm for the i20

Considering the rip-off that is the hyundai authorised after sale service, I'm never going to buy another hyundai, no matter how brilliant the package. And Anyone who is smitten by the new car needs to factor in the ugly side of a hyundai ownership.
Old 21st August 2014, 20:33   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru View Post
Just came back from a quick TD of the diesel i20.

Considering the rip-off that is the hyundai authorised after sale service, I'm never going to buy another hyundai, no matter how brilliant the package. And Anyone who is smitten by the new car needs to factor in the ugly side of a hyundai ownership.
I feel sorry about your situation and frustration. But IMHO, if this is true for the entire country, Hyundai could never became 2nd in market share. Yours is seriously seem to be one off case with more to do with service center guys.

One my friend who owns a petrol 2010 i20 went through a very similar experience last year. During a normal maintenance schedule, they told him the clutch needs overhaul and quoted INR 24,000/=.
I advised him to go to another service center to get a second opinion and the problem solved with just INR 6,000/= and no problem with clutch at all.

Did you get a second opinion from another service center or a trusted mechanic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Reading the above, I'm quite sure you haven't subjected yourself to checking the quality of Skoda Fabia and VW Polo cars, to claim any other manufacturer, south of 20L, do not provide the kind of quality Hyundai provides..

Hope we're not getting carried away. Class leading for features, maybe. Class leading for quality, not really.
Hyundai may be not at par with German brands in all counts. Forget about the bells & whistles, but for the money you pay, definitely it is top notch quality car compared other cars in the market.

Level of details in fit & finish, neatly tucked under hood, carefully blending lines & curves of body, are these items not qualify to be called as quality car?

Vehicle dynamics, suspension & steering greatly improved in Elite i20 compared to its predecessor as posted by fellow BHP-ians who took quick TD.

IMHO, whoever listens to feedback and improves would score high on quality. I believe Hyundai demonstrated that already!

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd August 2014 at 22:17. Reason: Posts merged.
Pam81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks