Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2013, 08:14   #16

Re: Ideas for the next Tata Car (Ideator)

First of all Congratulations for getting this awesome opportunity.
I have been always a hardcore Tata Motors Fan, but recently they are letting me down. Being an owner of Tata Indigo Manza and a well wisher of TaMO, I have some suggestions.

1. Design, Design and Design : They need to move away from the current bulky, conventional styling with unnecessary chrome styling to a more futuristic styling. For example, take the case of Hyundai, their cars are not fun to drive but their styling is world class. I am sure this can bring a huge difference in perception of the brand.

2. Interior quality : I said interior not overall because in my opinion the paint job and exterior build is far superior than the Marutis and hyundais. But the interior is a bit let down. Even though the quality of materials used are good, the finish of each knobs and buttons need to be better. It always makes me sad that Tata tries to improve things that people doesn't use frequently and leave the important things unattended like the power widow button, there are still plastic rough edges on them which is used frequently by the customers. I remember once I was pulling the seat belt from the side and when I pulled it quickly it got twisted and got stuck. I have used the basic Maruti 800 and these things never happened.

3. Color schemes : They have to seriously give an option of all black interior like that of Swift. In 2005-10 period the Beige was becoming a trend, but now I feel like people are again going back to black. Strict no no to dull grey interiors.

4. Engine : They always set the engine for mileage, I know Indians are over cautious about mileage but if the engine gives reasonable mileage but an Omph factor when they step on the pedal, they may pick an Tata. There are many SX4 owners who have basically the same engine as my Manza saying that they can any day turn my car into dust in terms of raw speed. Tata please tune the engine to a more aggressive setup.

5. Suspension : Too soft for many customers. It feels like we are sitting over a sponge especially at the back, that is we wont get shaken but it feels like we are moving up and down as if we are on a boat. Another thing because of this suspension is that while cornering the level of confidence is pretty low.
Old 8th June 2013, 08:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
Guys, I think he was invited to talk about a new car and not to teach/advice Karl how to run Tata motors? Sorry to be blunt, but that is what we are telling the OP to do when he meets Karl in person.
In my opinion, we should tell them what we would like to have in a new car. Similar to what we told to M&M for Thar? Please?
For an existing manufacturer, what could be new without learning from their mistakes?

He has asked for suggesstions to improve their future cars which i then believe we are on the right track.
Old 8th June 2013, 09:23   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
For an existing manufacturer, what could be new without learning from their mistakes?

He has asked for suggesstions to improve their future cars which i then believe we are on the right track.
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rk2bpn
If u have any technological ideas for the #NewTataCar,share it @tata_safari @KarlSlym & the best owner of the idea gets a chance to meet @KarlSlym & discuss their ideas further!

that was the idea for Karl atleast

Another link about it from IAB

Mr. Slym recently ran a contest through his Twitter handle @KarlSylm, asking fellow users what they expect the ‘Next Tata Car’ to be. He promised to invite the people with top ideas for a discussion and today he has the shortlist.

The Managing Director of Tata Motors has identified 8 Twitter users as “top ideaters” who will be given an opportunity to put forth their ideas in front of the man himself. Sometimes, getting the inputs directly from the prospective customers and brand loyalists is way better than getting them from your dedicated team of market analysts.

link --> http://indianautosblog.com/2013/06/k...tata-car-80291

Last edited by 999 : 8th June 2013 at 09:27.
999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 10:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Looks like tons of suggestions. No wonder TATA is struggling because they have been indifferent to our voice for years

my suggestions
1. Service - this is what keeps a customer happy and will make him upgrade in the same family. Experience needs to be good here
2. QC - Vista and Manza are a big leap in terms of quality and we need more such products which are nigglefree and require only 1-2 visits to service center per year.
3. Designs - TATA should accept that they are not BMW or a Merc to keep that Family DNA in cars like Indica. Period. Come up with fresh designs, use the talent at JLR plz.

Someone shared pic of Prima concept. This should have been launched already !! there is still time though. But TATA should be aggressive and price it in the Verna/Vento territory than aiming at higher segment(They are quite capable of such blunders)
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 10:20   #20
BHPian

Tata should focus on a multiple market segment strategy. M&M has Scorpio/XUV for urban and bolero/.. for rural/commercial section and thar for the enthusiasts (don't stone me now).

If you analyse the TML portfolio, this segmenting is blurred. They try to sell Indica to everyone in the hatchback segment (including taxis & pvt individuals all over). The so called urban segment has Aria & Manza which dont hit sweet spot. Manza is a car but can never meet the refinements that others offer. Aria is excellent & can eat into the Innova bracket easily (if you can ensure reliability & support in a better fashion). There is nothing clearly mapping to the semi-urban or rural segment as of now.

Looking at the segments:
1. Car for transporters - continue with Indica & sumo platforms & improve it with FE systems & reliability. This is bread & butter - bread now, butter added if you improve it. Focus these platforms specifically for commercial segment.
2. Car for city users - you need something better than Manza & at a same price point as others with matching quality of the japs (lower pricing = oh no.. another TATA, higher pricing = oh no.. same mistake as Aria).
3. SUV/Crossovers - Focus on this segment! Stop tinkering 20 year old safari and say its new! A car like SUV, an innova like UV and a crossover platform. You already have it! Target its selling properly! Bring back Sierra with a sweet price point of 6L!
4. Cargo / pickup / commerical segment - Somehow we miss to see tata in this segment clearly (I am ignoring Tata Ace in this segment and trying to compare the larger 207/pickup etc).

Only thing that can be said about what is needed in a new car - Reliability with competitive pricing

Suggestions in general: (not exactly for a new car)
1. A new small car / mid sized car platform with solid reliability (like germans), good looks (european) and FE. And please ensure they would carry non-taxi image (I feel is important - M&M succeeded in it)
2. Bring back Sierra (with improvements of course) at a price point of a high end hatch (5.5-6L bracket)
3. God sake, change your marketing / branding and advertising!
- Stop selling indica as a performance hatch (how much ever you improve your engine)
- Sell Aria as a family / people carrier with luxury and not a macho man's drive which can run through the jungles, jump over cliffs
- Bring in predator marketing for commercial segment (of course with able support afterwards)
4. Improve the attitude of your sales, support personnel; become more responsive on customer queries/complaints; Follow-up and take feedback & implement from your customers!

I think this is more important for TML than what is needed in a new car!
null is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 10:52   #21
BHPian

Suggestions for a new car.

1.) A 5 seater monocoque SUV.
2.) Sub 4m length. 2nd row should accommodate 3 comfortably.
3.) Good GC and ride quality.

For any TATA vehicle 2.) and 3.) should be easily expected, but 4.) and 5.) are more crucial.

4.) Should look like proper butch SUV. Should not resemble any other TATA vehicle. Ideally, should be designed outside.
5.) Acceptable handling capabilities and steering with somewhat batter feedback.
6.) Good safety features, at least ABS should be standard.

Also last but not least, has to be VFM.
Vishal.R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 11:16   #22
BHPian

Something on the lines of the Sierra, we can seen that the Duster is doing so well. The Sierra was ahead of its times in the 90's, it still sold so well for a 2 door vehicle then. It should be able to give M&M nightmares now.
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 11:39   #23
BHPian

My 2 cents.

1. Get rid of Indica cab and the name altogether. Agree Indica cab brings in volume. But Tata needs to decide if they want to cater to Taxi segment alone. If toyota can dump the Qualis, so can Tata. Almost every Indian would have travelled in an Indica atleast once. The impression they have is not a good one which in turn leaves a stain on the brand altogether. Tata should take feedback from taxi drivers too.

2. Get rid of the vista grill and headlamps and stop having common grill to all models.

3. Revive the Estate/Sierra

4. Make a sportier Nano. Offer 2 door Nano. Market it the way Daimler does to the smart. Get a better engine for the Nano with better NVH, atleast which sounds like a car. Most of the people I spoke to tells that Nano sounds like an auto.

5. Vista and Manza are excellent products, but not many takers. Simple reason. Indica cab.

The next Tata car should be in a sedan the range of Verna, City etc. The car should have cool looks, better interiors, better ride quality and better quality. Also Tata should consider a mini SUV with 4X4 option within 10 lakhs.
zteg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 11:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys! Keep 'em coming!

I want the meeting to be a constructive discussion. Contest or not, I've been regularly tweeting to Tata Motors & Mr.Karl Slym with suggestions for new & existing cars. They've BOTH often replied and put effort to make things happen. Honestly, just tweet them, they're asif they'll do whatever it takes to extend themselves to you.

I was under the impression that the move had died down, but they Did get back. Here's a company that genuinely wants to build the kind of car a consumer wants and is calling for suggestions.

At work now, will post further replies this evening.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 8th June 2013 at 12:06.
Old 8th June 2013, 15:16   #25
BHPian

If I may suggest, please ask Karl if there is a possibility of branding their passenger cars with a different name. I think Tata has got etched as an inferior brand name in most people's minds. Mostly, due to the rough quality but also due to the association with commercial vehicles and international brands bringing cars with recognisable names. Maybe even hold a contest to name the next vehicle and also the whole segment from Tata. So, in future, Tata Indica would mean only taxis. and the passenger segment would be <insert brand name> with a <by Tata> at the end. like Jaguar, by Tata.

The important thing is - what should Tata call itself?

And, for the Nano, only two options

1. Make it a true 1L rupee car and not a 1.56l car or
2. Give it a good makeover and target the A segment.
Old 8th June 2013, 15:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

QC and new products have been discussed at length. And I believe both these functions are directly under Karl Slym now.

I would tell them to go in for a re-branding exercise. Not just any product, but Tata Motors as a whole. Something along the lines of what Godrej did recently. The company desperately needs an image makeover, right down to the company showroom level. The message should be catchy, aspirational, innovative and fresh.

If he is not already doing so, do ask Mr.Slym to keep on eye of this forum, there are plenty of suggestions doing the rounds here.
Old 8th June 2013, 15:55   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
If I may suggest, please ask Karl if there is a possibility of branding their passenger cars with a different name. I think Tata has got etched as an inferior brand name in most people's minds. Mostly, due to the rough quality but also due to the association with commercial vehicles and international brands bringing cars with recognisable names. Maybe even hold a contest to name the next vehicle and also the whole segment from Tata. So, in future, Tata Indica would mean only taxis. and the passenger segment would be <insert brand name> with a <by Tata> at the end. like Jaguar, by Tata.
+1

Its a great idea for Tata to come up with a new brand altogether. What Tata badly need now is a complete image makeover. No matter how good product you come up with, people are not going to buy them because of the image Tata cars carry. Best thing for Tata would be to come up with a new brand and build its image. This brand should be exclusive of the current portfolio. Start from fresh all over again.
Old 8th June 2013, 16:07   #28
BHPian

I had been a Tata customer. Never again till they offer these two things for the customer:
1. A ten year standard warranty for all parts including labour. Applicable even for second , third and fourth owners. Consumables (oil, wiper blade, tyres) can be charged.
2. A mobile application to enter/escalate/close a service request. A Nano should arrive at my specified address as the replacement car within 2 hours.

Of course, no one in the existing Tata ranks could have taken the risk of proposing and implementing the above. That's why they hired Mr. Karl Slym. Just do it, Karl.
mkumar79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 16:17   #29
BHPian

Please ask them to get a rear wheel drive muscle car with about 220 bhp in the price range of 20-24 lakhs and keep its quality control under check
Also suggest him that they outsource the designing part of it to someone who has designed some other muscle cars instead of getting it designed by their own crappy design team.
Old 8th June 2013, 16:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Hey everyone! I've been given a chance to personally meet the current MD of TATA MOTORS (Mr. Karl Slym) to generally discuss cars & suggest ideas about the next Tata car.
1. Confidence - If Hyundai can turn from a shoddy brand to a decently reputed car maker so can Tata.

2. Quality - This is a very wide field. It starts with reliability, then good quality materials that will last the time and proper fitment.

3. New design - I may be rude but the guys in the styling department in tata needs to find themselves another job.

4. Powertrain - Develop a good series of engines with maximizing part sharing. Should work on GDI as well because 5 years down the line the price difference between Petrol & Diesel might be NIL. They already have bought JLR. Ask them to develop a small Engine if you guys cant do it.

5. And most importantly is the service. Now it is easier said than done to improve Dealer/service experience. The most difficult task I would recon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks