Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2013, 12:33   #31
BHPian

Re: Death of a Legend. Mitsubishi India discontinues Lancer EVO

This is truly saddening.
Mitsubishi certainly has wonderful products that are built well and with the usual maintenance and care they age well and last long. I drive a 99 Lancer GLXd that has clocked about 2 lac kilometers and still runs like new. Particularly noteworthy are its handling characteristics, steering response and stability at high speeds.
Its unfortunate that HM isn't able to market these products. A person familiar with the matter (a Mitsubishi employee) did mention to me that they intend going solo in India (using HM's Thiruvallur car plant for manufacture for a while) but that was about a year ago. Hope they get their act together soon.
Old 19th June 2013, 14:36   #32
BHPian

I grew up admiring Lancer, still the best designed car for me. I was so close buying one few years back, was not getting a good car within my budget. So bought a Palio GTX instead and I'm happy . I remember a lancer hoisted near HM showroom in Guindy, Chennai. Will never miss that whenever I cross that side. RIP!! Hope Subaru sets up a plant in India soon.
Old 19th June 2013, 15:00   #33
BHPian

The Mitsubishi Motors Website says "Production laid to rest, But the legend lives on"
In Autocar UK, around 2 years ago, It was declared by Mitsubishis Product head that that the Evo X would be the last EVO
His words, “There is still a demand [for the car], but we must stop.”
The next Evo wont be an Evo for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4G93T View Post
Guess I'll have to import it when I make that kinda money
THAT DAY, whenever it comes, dont go for the new one, get an older used model and do the modds.
Old 20th June 2013, 14:14   #34

Mitsubishi India never really did anything to win customers respect.

I have a Lancer SLXI and I can vouch for the horrible sales and the servicing that they carry out.

It is sad to see such a magnificent car like the EVO being phased out. Like GTO said, it was priced to die!
Old 20th June 2013, 16:11   #35
BHPian

It's funny. They never had intentions to sell that, as it was priced astronomically high. I am wondering why are we mourning? It was marked for death when launched.

Secondly, to pull the plug off, How many did they produce?

It's a natural death row been offered mercy killing.

Mitsubishi should be officially declared as classics in India, no matter how hard one try to buy, the dealers just won't let you buy one.
Old 20th June 2013, 17:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

I think performance aside, the Lancer Evo was just getting a little long in the tooth. Mitsubishi's competition had gone further ahead and developed newer version of their performance rally based cars - The WRX STI is due a new version in 2014. In India, they just priced it out of the world, not many people would buy a 50 lakh car in India, and if they do, they are looking for as much luxury as performance. I don't think there is anything luxurious in the Evo. It is a purebred performance car with a ton of compromises in comfort. I hope they come up with something more balanced and more relevant.
Old 23rd June 2013, 00:50   #37

It is indeed a sad state for all Mitsubishi vehicles here in India. I don't understand why Mitsubishi is not promoting their vehicles aggressively here in India, like other car manufactures do. I'm sure if they at-least launch Lancer EX GLX 1.6L MIVEC M/T

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/vi...Position,1-4,4

and Mirage here in India it will definitely boost up their sale. In fact I'd read about it 'Upcoming cars in India 2013' in one of the forums quite a long time back but later got the news from HM-Mitsubishi that they were interested to sale SUV's only here in India.

http://autos.maxabout.com/cars/mitsu...-lancer-diesel
(Don't know if it is a rumor)

http://www.cardekho.com/carmodels/Mi...subishi_Mirage
Old 23rd June 2013, 15:06   #38
Senior - BHPian

What about making a list of all the Evos in India?(Although this might be a question more suitable for the Supercars section)

One of my favourites is the EVO VI from Kolkata.
Old 7th July 2013, 14:24   #39
BHPian

Mitsubishi has gone down the drain. I presume that they are selling just the Pajero Sport and Montero presently in India.

I don't know what was the thinking involved when they decided to stop the Lancer, Cedia or even the Outlander. The Cedia still has ample life left in it. I wish they bring it back, with a better interior package and an AT to boot. Just have to get the transmission from the Thai model.
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:40   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Death of a Legend. Mitsubishi India discontinues Lancer EVO-9080114.001.mini18l2.jpg

Next generation EVO is under works.

Mitsubishi is planning to take on the Nissan GT-R with the next gen EVO

The car's styling should be influenced from the 2008 Concept-RA (as pictured above)

The power output will be in 500 hp range with the help of combining a 2.0-litre petrol engine with two 80bhp electric motors.

Source
Old 22nd July 2013, 16:28   #41
BHPian

Heard this from an HM employee I met at ARAI- apparently they spent 2 crore on the homologation costs of the EVO after seeing a lot of 'interest' from the enthusiast crowd, unfortunately it did not convert into sales and the EVO story ends there as per him. Dont know much of it is true -especially with the homologation exemption rule which was discussed earlier.

I keep crying hoarse whenever I get the chance but here I go again - People not realizing whom to sell the car to or even turning down enquiries is only natural in this industry. We cant blame them since in their eyes something like a verna fluidic is much more attractive than an EVO. They dont have the connect, the passion which is needed to put beauties like these on roads.

We can blame mitsubishi, HM, the government or even god as much as we want to but the fact of the matter is that the industry is filled with people who are just working for the money while the petrolheads choose to stay on the sidelines and comment on forums.

I am not cribbing here, I have a practical solution. T- bhp with all its clout could initiate a small revolution by putting passionate individuals, forced to work in other industries into sick units such as the HM and try to turn it around. Something similar to some of the IIM grad success stories we come across.

Imagine a bhpian or two in the marketing team of a company like HM, it would be the best thing to happen to the company in all the 55 years of its existence.
Old 22nd July 2013, 16:52   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DReddy View Post
Heard this from an HM employee I met at ARAI- apparently they spent 2 crore on the homologation costs of the EVO after seeing a lot of 'interest' from the enthusiast crowd, unfortunately it did not convert into sales and the EVO story ends there as per him. Dont know much of it is true -especially with the homologation exemption rule which was discussed earlier.
And, HM Mitsubishi wants to recover the 2 Cr cost from 10 vehicles? The EVO was dead on arrival for the price. Had they priced it around 30L on road, it would have been a definite success. And this was a FQ300 not even an FQ400 IIRC.

Quote:
I keep crying hoarse whenever I get the chance but here I go again - People not realizing whom to sell the car to or even turning down enquiries is only natural in this industry. We cant blame them since in their eyes something like a verna fluidic is much more attractive than an EVO. They dont have the connect, the passion which is needed to put beauties like these on roads.
If a company doesn't know how to sell its cars (positioning, market analysis, turning down enquiries???? Thats the end!), it is doomed. Verna does most of them right, and we can't expect Verna numbers in an EVO

Quote:

We can blame mitsubishi, HM, the government or even god as much as we want to but the fact of the matter is that the industry is filled with people who are just working for the money while the petrolheads choose to stay on the sidelines and comment on forums.
The petrolheads do the things they BEST do. They buy the good stuff with their hard earned money. Asking anything more from an enthusiast is plain wrong.

Quote:
I am not cribbing here, I have a practical solution. T- bhp with all its clout could initiate a small revolution by putting passionate individuals, forced to work in other industries into sick units such as the HM and try to turn it around. Something similar to some of the IIM grad success stories we come across.
Highly impractical - Who will select who? How do we even know the selected guy has time to do this. I am not brushing aside your selection - I know there are some brilliant minds our here in the forum. All said, this cannot be implemented.
Old 22nd July 2013, 18:10   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post

And, HM Mitsubishi wants to recover the 2 Cr cost from 10 vehicles? The EVO was dead on arrival for the price. Had they priced it around 30L on road, it would have been a definite success. And this was a FQ300 not even an FQ400 IIRC.

If a company doesn't know how to sell its cars (positioning, market analysis, turning down enquiries???? Thats the end!), it is doomed. Verna does most of them right, and we can't expect Verna numbers in an EVO

The petrolheads do the things they BEST do. They buy the good stuff with their hard earned money. Asking anything more from an enthusiast is plain wrong.

Highly impractical - Who will select who? How do we even know the selected guy has time to do this. I am not brushing aside your selection - I know there are some brilliant minds our here in the forum. All said, this cannot be implemented.
Im not talking about a part time consultant kinda role, it has to be all out or nothing.

I agree that it is impractical but not impossible. I am an example, I was a coder for a major software company five 4 years ago, now I am in an automotive company in vehicle testing. It wasnt easy but I decided to see - ' how hard could it be' -was hard but but also a lot of fun.

All I am saying is to just Imagine - a senior finance or marketing person approaching one of these companies telling about their interest and giving it a shot. I know it sounds farfetched but I have been there and done that so you can take my word on it.
Old 23rd July 2013, 12:35   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
The Cedia still has ample life left in it.
Cedias were selling in 0 nos. for the past few months. Please have a look at monthly car sales figures.

The only way in my view is to bring in the latest Lancer. And I'm absolutely sure, even with a petrol only model, it would dent the sales of all C+ segment sedans by a good amount.

Last edited by Tats07 : 23rd July 2013 at 12:37.
Old 23rd July 2013, 14:31   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
Cedias were selling in 0 nos. for the past few months. Please have a look at monthly car sales figures.
That is not because it was a bad car, rather it was due to the lousy sales strategy. The old Cedia is still a much better bet than many of its rivals in terms of road handling.

Introducing the new Lancer or even selling the EvoX at 25 Lacs will not save Mitsubishi. They should first break their tie up with HM and enter the market like a proper Japanese company.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks