Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2013, 18:49   #256
Senior - BHPian

re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambadan View Post
Can we expect a a seven-speed dual clutch transmission instead of 5 speed as AT?
That's only been mated to hybrid powertrains AFAIK, so I doubt it will make it here. But how I wish Honda were to shock the market with a hybrid City with the 7-speed DCT maybe for about Rs. 14 lakhs - any takers?
Old 4th November 2013, 19:36   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambadan View Post
Can we expect a a seven-speed dual clutch transmission instead of 5 speed as AT?
If i am not wrong, Honda does not have a dual clutch AT. It is always a torque converter or a CVT.
Old 4th November 2013, 19:52   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
That's only been mated to hybrid powertrains AFAIK, so I doubt it will make it here. But how I wish Honda were to shock the market with a hybrid City with the 7-speed DCT maybe for about Rs. 14 lakhs - any takers?
They had a horrendous experience with Civic hybrid earlier, so this would be highly unlikely. Or else we should be seeing some kind of support for hybrid vehicles, atleast in the form of tax benefits, if not subsidies.
Old 4th November 2013, 22:40   #259
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Just booked the 2014 City by transferring 21,000/- (fully refundable) to the dealer's account through NEFT. The dealer, Shubh Honda, has promised priority in delivery and promptness from their side. Past experience with them has been excellent so I trust them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irdevanand View Post
Sundaram Honda Chennai has started taking priority bookings for 2014 Honda City. Total 51,000 rupees fully refundable.
But why is there a difference in booking amounts for the same car?

Is it only me or has anyone else observed the difference or am I missing something?

Anurag.
Old 4th November 2013, 23:00   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
They had a horrendous experience with Civic hybrid earlier, so this would be highly unlikely. Or else we should be seeing some kind of support for hybrid vehicles, atleast in the form of tax benefits, if not subsidies.
Well it's wishful thinking, no doubt. But the Civic Hybrid sold out in no time at 14l, so there is demand at the right price. And some govt incentive is on the anvil or why else would Toyota bother making the hybrid Camry here? A state incentive for locally made hybrids would change manufacturers' attitudes and stoke consumer demand.
Old 4th November 2013, 23:10   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well it's wishful thinking, no doubt. But the Civic Hybrid sold out in no time at 14l, so there is demand at the right price. And some govt incentive is on the anvil or why else would Toyota bother making the hybrid Camry here? A state incentive for locally made hybrids would change manufacturers' attitudes and stoke consumer demand.
Civic hybrid was available at that price, only because Honda could not sell the Civic at its intended price tag, and decided to consume the duty of that car from their pocket. With the same circumstances, they wouldn't even bother to repeat that process incurring loses.
And that's exactly what i intended with the incentive part.

When it comes to hybrids, shouldn't it be a collective effort, from the manufacturer, consumer and the Govt or any other facilitator who has environment in their priority list? Because, these type of fuel, comes with a cost which, if rolled out across parties, would be the most beneficial.

As you said, City, with a much lower price tag, is an ideal candidate.
Old 5th November 2013, 11:05   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Congrats @RavenAvi

I was actually expecting some scoop on the new City, however, your booking of the car is a scoop in itself.

However, there is still some scoop (on the prices) in the portion that I have highlighted... & it also means that the petrol engine will remain unchanged.
Thanks, mate.

Even I think they will retain the existing i-VTEC. The sole purpose of the hurried launch of the 2014 City is to get the i-DTEC in ASAP, methinks. Now that their Tapukara plant is almost ready and will be ready to fire it's production lines from January 2014.

Quote:
I hope not. Honda has never been shy of changing the engines with each generation of the City (VTEC to i-DSI to i-VTEC) and I hope they maintain the trend. Reports have said the new car will get the new Earth Dreams powertrains and Honda needs to keep up with the competition and their DSGs and direct injection, turbocharged petrols.
IMO Earth Dreams will be here in it's diesel guise, as in the Amaze. The i-VTEC might be retained. But let's hope Honda surprises us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Is it only me or has anyone else observed the difference or am I missing something?
No idea. Maybe it's to do with the different pricing across states, although there's not much difference between our pricing and Chennai's pricing. (RTO charges might vary)

Last edited by RavenAvi : 5th November 2013 at 11:07.
Old 5th November 2013, 11:36   #263
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Varies with dealership, and your relationship with them. I do not think any of the money goes to Honda at this stage.

These days 51,000 seems to be the preferred norm. I paid 1L as advance for my Civic VAT, then have paid Rs.50,000 for the Brio VAT, City AVN Amaze VXAT. The SM was willing to book with zero for the City but I paid the amount, since I did not want the booking 'hijacked' by someone. In the Amaze he suggested 51k but I said 50k as usual. I could have booked the Amaze with Re.1 if I wanted.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 11:48   #264
BHPian

Came to know (from a close source) that the City could be launched on Nov 14, 2013. Booking amount is 50,000/- with no color choices in most of the dealerships

- Srinivas.R
Old 5th November 2013, 11:59   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO Earth Dreams will be here in it's diesel guise, as in the Amaze. The i-VTEC might be retained. But let's hope Honda surprises us.
This strategy will put them way behind the competition like the Vento TSI and even the Ford Fiesta and Eosport ATs because if they retain the engine then they will retain the 5-speed torque converter transmission - and that is not good.

Unless of course in India Honda has decided to give up its petrol leadership position to focus only on diesel with its sole engine like Maruti.

Last edited by StarScream : 5th November 2013 at 12:13.
Old 5th November 2013, 12:34   #266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just booked the 2014 City by transferring 21,000/- (fully refundable) to the dealer's account through NEFT. The dealer, Shubh Honda, has promised priority in delivery and promptness from their side. Past experience with them has been excellent so I trust them.
Congratulations! That was fast indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi
the starting price might be from 7.49L onwards, stretching to 12.49L for the top diesel variant.
12.49 lakhs!!! The price points are shifting. Now with D1 segment cars going to the vicinity of 20 lakhs, I can see the segments below moving up a step as well.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 13:45   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Had a long talk with the Honda ASM of my area, who confirmed the launch on November 25th and deliveries starting from January 2014 onwards, and also said that the new City will be bigger, wider and have more sheet metal.

As regards specifics, features and pricing, he's still totally clueless and said Honda haven't officially disclosed anything to anyone yet (or maybe he's feigning ignorance). His assumption from the hushed talks in meetings and rumors inside the company are - the starting price might be from 7.49L onwards, stretching to 12.49L for the top diesel variant. There will again be a Corporate variant on offer but only in petrol, while the diesel lineup might start from EMT onwards, and might be priced from 8.69L onwards. The top variant will get some long-missed features such as ACC, BT-enabled touchscreen system and a few other goodies. As before, twin airbags and ABS will be standard across all variants in the entire range.
Looking at some posts on another thread , the guess is that HONDA would be launching its CRIDER as CITY in India , however nothing sure yet. The dealer's statement that the new CITY will be bigger & wider is moving us all to a step closer to the assumption already in place as mentioned above. Pricing is the key and I hope Honda gets it right to appease all. Cars from HONDA are known to be booked off shelf even before the launch and that is the customer confidence they have gained over the years.

Congratulations !!! on the booking .
pdma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 14:02   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just booked the 2014 City by transferring 21,000/- (fully refundable) to the dealer's account through NEFT...
That's some faith! Which one will you go for - Petrol or Diesel ?
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 14:07   #269
BHPian

Slightly off topic - but I guess the dealers are making hay while sun shines!!! All said and done, getting 51,000 from prospective customers and giving an assurance for priority delivery is just a way of making money. Put that amount in any bank with a decent interest rate (~ 5% for 30 to 61 days) and its sheer money! One gets a return of at least 500-700 Rs. per customer, assuming a lowest interest rate ~ 5% and only 30 days for deposit term.

Multiply this into ~ 20 customers per showroom, who are willing to put down their money on a car they have never seen and this makes the showroom/dealers 10,000 Rs per month! Quite a clever way of making money out of nothing!

Later, when the cars do arrive, the showroom can cite various reasons for "delays" and hold the prospective customers' money for longer (for bigger earnings on that deposit).

Personally, I'd approach such deals with caution - and put my money down only when I really like what I'm seeing. I'd rather have my hard earned money work more for me rather than some dealer who is going to make his profit either ways - irrespective of the fact that you buy a car from there or not.

Lastly, newer cars may have some issues that may need sorting out. IMHO, I'd rather wait a year and have a niggle free purchase (even though the prices may have gone up in that year's time), rather than purchasing something fresh out of the factory and have to learn to live with the niggles until the company/mfg sorts it out.

Like I said .. Just my opinion!
vsathyap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 14:17   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
Lastly, newer cars may have some issues that may need sorting out. IMHO, I'd rather wait a year and have a niggle free purchase (even though the prices may have gone up in that year's time), rather than purchasing something fresh out of the factory and have to learn to live with the niggles until the company/mfg sorts it out.
Knowing that it is a Honda, and the City as a car rarely disappoints, I for one, would not mind spending a few thousands to ensure that I would be one of the first to receive the car.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks