Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2013, 11:24   #286
BHPian

re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

The City will not be a gizmo fest as some people are hoping. The City is always known as a no-nonsense, reliable car. Everything would just work perfectly, but there won't be anything class leading.

Also, given the brand value that Honda and the City carries, they can safely price it a lakh above competition.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 11:43   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Bookings open for 2014 Honda City diesel at Rs. 50,000.

Quote:
The all-new Honda City is likely to be available in six to eight variants with both the petrol and diesel engine options. The petrol model is expected to carryover the current 1.5-litre i-VTEC engine, while the diesel variants will get the same 1.5-litre i-DTEC, that also powers the Honda Amaze. However, the diesel engine will be tuned to bring down the NVH level of the car.
http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...0000-11637.htm
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 14:32   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Sir how can you assume that prices will be 15-16L? Thats ridiculous for a city. i mean a Civic was cheaper. Please understand that they will not price their car higher than the segment leader 'The Verna' and that is basic business sense. Even if they want to make some money on the diesel, they cannot price it beyond competition.
I am speculating the prices to be in that band. Newer generations of cars usually don't get cheaper. The city's top model manual today costs about 12 lakh on-road, add a diesel engine to it and you can see the prices going north. I don't believe Honda would be doing a BMW like they did with the lights in the ANHC and price the Diesel city lower than the Petrol, both being 1.5 litre. With a new chassis, better packaging, prices have to increase. Honda I don't think would sell it south of 12 lakh at least.
Old 6th November 2013, 14:50   #289
BHPian

Autocar India giving a special reward to anyone who can get a spy pic of the new Honda City before 25 Nov
Tweet by Hormarzd
"All-new Honda City around the corner and no spy pics yet! Special reward for anyone who gets us a shot before Nov 25!"
crazyro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 14:52   #290
BHPian

Just heard from a source that the city indeed will be much larger than the previous one and also will be quite aggressively kitted. Also expect starting prices from 10 plus to around 13.5 14 for the top end ones. Apparently they are taking the fight to two segments.

Also the new jazz will take over the lower end of the city price spectrum.
eq24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 16:40   #291
BHPian

Me just booked the 2014 City at Chennai... SA says dispatch from the factory may commence as early as mid-January. And the dealer says they already have about 20 bookings and about a dozen current model cars in inventory. They still have the current model on prime display.

The booking amount was 51k. Variants and color to be finalized by end of year after Honda makes them available. Excited!
Old 6th November 2013, 16:58   #292
BHPian

Last time AVN option wasn't offered on AT and sunroof AT models. I really hope the kit out everything they have on the top end AT model unlike last time.

P.S: Initially when the the AVN was launched their website showed it was available in the AT models, but after a few weeks they scrapped it. I am yet to see an AVN AT model.
Old 6th November 2013, 17:26   #293
BHPian

Mod Note: Post deleted. Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, T-Fort, ANHV) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Please post again with full Make & Model name.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th November 2013 at 12:11.
Old 6th November 2013, 18:14   #294
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Just heard from a source that the city indeed will be much larger than the previous one and also will be quite aggressively kitted. Also expect starting prices from 10 plus to around 13.5 14 for the top end ones. Apparently they are taking the fight to two segments.
Also the new jazz will take over the lower end of the city price spectrum.
That’s what I expect too. The Civic may not reappear in the Indian market and considering our penchant to brand City, it may become a huge success even if the price point gets closer to 15 lakhs.

I won’t be surprised if Honda limit their range (in India) to market specific models like Brio, Amaze, and the City.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 18:18   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom_vroom View Post
Also Honda cars are never known to be feature loaded. Even Honda knows that a diesel version of City with basic features can easily outpace others in the segment. City brand name has a big fan following and that shows in pretty decent numbers that it was soing untill recently though only available in petrol engine option.
Of course they will get good numbers based on the Honda badge and especially the Diesel engine. But Honda here has a wonderful opportunity to knock the socks of the competition and also even bring in Duster and Ecosport buyers if its really feature laden.

Hyundai is surely going to counter the new City with a slew of new features and if the new City is found wanting, Honda would lose the plot and some new City buyers would find themselves without a few features within the year .

C'mon Honda, for the love of Honda, Bring it all on...
Old 6th November 2013, 19:08   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
That’s what I expect too. The Civic may not reappear in the Indian market and considering our penchant to brand City, it may become a huge success even if the price point gets closer to 15 lakhs.

I won’t be surprised if Honda limit their range (in India) to market specific models like Brio, Amaze, and the City.
Exactly. Now that they have two fantastic options in the Brio-based MPV, the Mobilio, and the Jazz-based SUV, to come in and take on the competition in their respective segments, I am guessing that the future is grim for both the Accord and the CR-V, although the latter can greatly benefit with a diesel heart to take on the likes of the Fortuner.

I still hope to see the Civic diesel sometime in the future, a strong Octavia/Jetta/Elantra contender. Maybe give the 1.6 i-DTEC heart to the Civic, and the 2.2/2.4 reserved for the CR-V.

This could be Honda India's future line-up (in about 5 years' time, maybe?):-

A-segment hatch --> Brio --> Amaze --> Jazz --> Mobilio --> City --> Jazz-based SUV --> Civic --> CR-V(?)

As for the features on the new 2014 City, I think most of the stuff in the current lineup will be retained - AVN, Sunroof, Cruise Control, blinkers on ORVMs, etc. They will give the City at least 3-4 new features to pull the numbers in, most definitely. There should be at least ONE 1st in Segment feature, which will be taken up by the facelifted Verna in the future no doubt. It may not end up as feature-rich as the Verna in the end, but the City will get plenty of nice gizmos for itself to make a super-strong initial ripple.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 6th November 2013 at 19:12.
Old 6th November 2013, 19:14   #297
Senior - BHPian

If the same petrol is carried forward, there is NO WAY Honda can price the car at more than 100k premium over the current City ex-showroom unless the car is substantially bigger and way better loaded. And it cannot be substantially bigger if it is based on the Jazz platform.

If they have not been able to sort out the dismal Civic internationally, I would not place my cards that they can out-kit the City like there is no tomorrow.

I believe the diesel will max out at 13.00 - 13.5 OTR in the most expensive places for the Manual if it is well loaded. It cannot command more than 2L real OTR over the Vento diesel (considering that the Vento has 1L+ discounts on all models except TSI)
Old 6th November 2013, 19:46   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyro View Post
Autocar India giving a special reward to anyone who can get a spy pic of the new Honda City before 25 Nov
Tweet by Hormarzd
"All-new Honda City around the corner and no spy pics yet! Special reward for anyone who gets us a shot before Nov 25!"
Is he implying that the new Honda City won't be launched on 25th November since there have been no concrete news neither any spy shots.
Or maybe they are so desperate for a 'first scoop' that they announced a competition for everyone to spy it for them.
Old 6th November 2013, 19:59   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post

Is he implying that the new Honda City won't be launched on 25th November since there have been no concrete news neither any spy shots.
Or maybe they are so desperate for a 'first scoop' that they announced a competition for everyone to spy it for them.
I guess it's the latter. At some level, a lot of people are on the edge of their seats for this launch. In many ways this could turn out of be an industry defining launch. Won't hurt if they are the first (or the only one) to catch the elusive test mule...
Old 7th November 2013, 00:44   #300
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@RavenAvi
I remember you had first booked a Jazz and due to long waiting period you decided to go with the Corporate Edition city. .
But what happened to this about the Jazz
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2597011
Closed Thread

Most Viewed