Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2013, 10:32   #406

re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

If the car shown above is actually the new Honda City, then the likes of Verna, Vento will have to run for cover. I hope they have improved the interiors of the car. We are planning to buy a new car early next year and now with these pictures, Honda has become a strong contender. This body with that gem of an engine(petrol) would be what petrol heads would be hoping for.
Old 19th November 2013, 11:36   #407
BHPian

In the times when even smaller objects like newer iterations of mobile phones are getting leaked (iPhone), it is really not possible to keep a 'brand new design' car under wraps if it has to go through testing on outside road conditions! So, it might be prudent to assume that the car that is being unveiled on 25th is a modified version of existing proven model. With City, Honda would really not take a chance of introducing an untested product given that Civic has been taken out from Indian market. I somehow think that City will now be positioned above the current City positioning as there is a wide gap between Amaze and Accord.
Old 19th November 2013, 11:48   #408

Guys why do we keep on forgetting how well Honda managed to keep the Brio and the Amaze under wraps all the way till these products were launched? And this was not too long ago.
Let's give it to Honda for doing a great job in managing to maintain the customer curiosity and interest in their yet to be launched products.
Maybe great companies like Apple need to take a leaf out of Honda's book to learn the art.
Like many others, I am extremely hopeful that come 25th and we'll all be pleasantly surprised by Honda.
Old 19th November 2013, 11:50   #409
Senior - BHPian

The city top end Diesel should be priced atleast 3-4 L INR more than the Amaze top end D . Or else , the Amaze sales might be cannibalised for sure . Top end City D might be around 14L INR in Bangalore . Anything higher and we have the German cars which are definitely better looking and better equippped

On the looks , if we havent seen any test mules till now , then it might be safe to assume that this may be a slightly updated version( with the 2014 Jazz front) of one of their existing models. Obviously Honda would test their engines before launching them , just that no one noticed as this was being done in of their existing models .
Old 19th November 2013, 11:54   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
On the looks , if we havent seen any test mules till now , then it might be safe to assume that this may be a slightly updated version( with the 2014 Jazz front) of one of their existing models. Obviously Honda would test their engines before launching them , just that no one noticed as this was being done in of their existing models .
I tend to agree here. Dont think anything major is coming..
They might be using the old grill for the ARAI tests
Old 19th November 2013, 11:59   #411
BHPian

I wonder if Honda India management would be reading this thread & going by our BHPian's curiosity & desperation of wanting to see some kind of clues/spy shots, they would surely be patting the backs of all those employees who managed to achieve such a feat to keep the city away from the prying eyes.
Old 19th November 2013, 12:06   #412
BHPian

Quote:
The city top end Diesel should be priced atleast 3-4 L INR more than the Amaze top end D . Or else , the Amaze sales might be cannibalised for sure . Top end City D might be around 14L INR in Bangalore . .
Oh no, your update is scaring me a bit, i doubt that Honda will place the city in that price range, as a person waiting for a launch after booking, i eagerly see a price with little dearer to Verna which translates to max of 13 lacs for top end.

waiting for 25th with fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
I wonder if Honda India management would be reading this thread & going by our BHPian's curiosity & desperation of wanting to see some kind of clues/spy shots, they would surely be patting the backs of all those employees who managed to achieve such a feat to keep the city away from the prying eyes.

Well Said, surely Honda drivers deserve a pat !!
Old 19th November 2013, 12:23   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtraj View Post
Oh no, your update is scaring me a bit, i doubt that Honda will place the city in that price range, as a person waiting for a launch after booking, i eagerly see a price with little dearer to Verna which translates to max of 13 lacs for top end.
!!

Yeah. Thats what I meant . I am expecting it to be between 13-14L INR for the top end diesel , with a starting range of around 11L for the base version .
About the Verna , no offence meant to Verna owners here , my personal opinion here is that none of the earlier verna's came close to matching the City's in terms of overall driving feel , I wouldnt even look at a Verna . The outgoing City as it is sold much better than the current Verna petrol
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 12:36   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

With people waiting with so much of enthusiasm and excitement, Honda better delivers, else over expectation might lead to to luke-warm response to the new City. I have a feeling that the new car will be slotted at a price only slightly higher to the current/ outgoing City.

I think it will be wise for Honda to plug the wide gap between the Amaze & Accord with at least 2 cars; as a single car placed in the 13-14 Lac category will still leave a lot of void between this and the Amaze, which in my opinion will be like gifting the numbers generated by the City to the likes of Verna/ Vento/ Linea etc.
Old 19th November 2013, 12:49   #415
Senior - BHPian

There may be very good reasons for why test mules haven't been spied in India. The more powerful i-DTEC engine can be tested in an Amaze and a new direct injection 1.5 petrol in the existing City to keep things quiet. The full car - body and engine - is probably being tested on Thai roads.

They still have an opportunity to test the complete car in India as I believe next week is just the reveal and pricing will be announced later.

The Tokyo Motor Show starts tomorrow - perhaps we will see the first undisguised pictures from there.
Old 19th November 2013, 18:31   #416
BHPian

Got an email from cardekho, it seems bookings are open for the new honda city diesel. Booking price is 50k and the image they've put is of the blue honda city from a few pages back, it's not the crider.
Old 19th November 2013, 18:47   #417
BHPian

Quote:
The city top end Diesel should be priced atleast 3-4 L INR more than the Amaze top end D . Or else , the Amaze sales might be cannibalised for sure . Top end City D might be around 14L INR in Bangalore
Sorry to sound like a killjoy, but AFAIK the current City petrol top end model was touching 13L on road in Bangalore. Considering the premium for the new model and the price differential to the diesel version, I think we are looking at something in the whereabouts of 15 lac at least if not more.
prkiran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 20:30   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
There may be very good reasons for why test mules haven't been spied in India. The more powerful i-DTEC engine can be tested in an Amaze and a new direct injection 1.5 petrol in the existing City to keep things quiet. The full car - body and engine - is probably being tested on Thai roads.
Though the engine proving can be done by planting on other model bodies, I don't think Honda will adopt that route. They would have tested the vehicle as a complete package in some place for sure. At any case they won't be able to test and prove the vehicle in such a short space (after unveiling and before the commercial launch).

Remember the EcoSport story, the vehicle was tested extensively but our monsoon thrown up an unpleasant surprise for Ford.
Old 19th November 2013, 20:46   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
Sorry to sound like a killjoy, but AFAIK the current City petrol top end model was touching 13L on road in Bangalore. Considering the premium for the new model and the price differential to the diesel version, I think we are looking at something in the whereabouts of 15 lac at least if not more.
Agree 101%. I had said the same a couple of weeks ago. But anything near 15 L , I would think twice before I spend money on a City. My guess is honda will have a winner if they can price it around 14 L for the top end diesel.
Old 19th November 2013, 20:46   #420
BHPian

Can we expect to see the new turbo charged i-vtec on the City?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks