Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2013, 16:14   #436
Senior - BHPian

re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
The booking amount is 100% refundable. They write that on the booking receipt.

Not sure about this . When we booked the Amaze , they said its 100% refundable , but when the delivery dates were being delayed , they said they would deduct 10% before refunds.

I would have still ensured that I got my 100% refund , but would have taken some amount of talking before Dakshin Honda would have agreed to it
Old 20th November 2013, 16:47   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Its not a fortune to pay a fortune for a depreciating asset which you haven't seen yet. j/k.. agree that you could be that "first person on the road with a new car"
Most pre-bookers of the Ecosport were able to beat the price hike, there by saving around 50k. That sum is of-course is not a fortune, but it all adds up.

City is going to see a flurry of bookings once it is launched. Expect people to come out cribbing about long waiting times while the pre-bookers enjoy their cars.

Well, everyone has the right to live their lives as they like, right?
Old 20th November 2013, 18:12   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
The biggest issue I see with the diesel City is the engine itself.

I have driven the Amaze diesel and the refinement levels are way below the competition. While it might be acceptable in the Amaze category, people spending 12-13 lacs on a car will expect much much better refinement. I am not sure Honda can do such improvement in such a short time.

Regarding the power output, 100 bhp should be okay but not great. I don't think it will hurt the sales on City much if the refinement is taken care of. We have many Sedans selling well with low power output. Fiesta diesel when it debuted came with the terribly underpowered 68 bhp engine but that did not stop people from buying it. Even the Vento diesel is 105 bhp. So City at 100 bhp can't be called underpowered for the segment. Only the Verna diesel has a much higher power output. But even then, the Vento is better to drive as it has better low end torque. So, as long as the drive-ability and refinement are taken care of, I do not see FGT as an issue.
Another added benefit of FGT is that it tends to have lower turbo lag compared to the VGT version and hence for driveable which will be a boon in the city.
110 BHP with a 1.5 unit without VGT will be tough to achieve I feel. May be a 3-5 bhp increase in power can be expected.
The latest tweet from Hormazd sheds some light on the refinement issue.
Honda engineers say new City diesel more refined than Amaze diesel. Better NVH needed to be competitive
Old 20th November 2013, 18:22   #439
BHPian

ACI article says Honda is focusing on efficiency which may be class leading too. So I guess power and torque will be marginally improved while FE may go to 25 kmpl given that Verna has 23.5 kmpl.
Old 20th November 2013, 18:28   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
The biggest issue I see with the diesel City is the engine itself.

I have driven the Amaze diesel and the refinement levels are way below the competition. While it might be acceptable in the Amaze category, people spending 12-13 lacs on a car will expect much much better refinement. I am not sure Honda can do such improvement in such a short time.

Regarding the power output, 100 bhp should be okay but not great. I don't think it will hurt the sales on City much if the refinement is taken care of. We have many Sedans selling well with low power output. Fiesta diesel when it debuted came with the terribly underpowered 68 bhp engine but that did not stop people from buying it. Even the Vento diesel is 105 bhp. So City at 100 bhp can't be called underpowered for the segment. Only the Verna diesel has a much higher power output. But even then, the Vento is better to drive as it has better low end torque. So, as long as the drive-ability and refinement are taken care of, I do not see FGT as an issue.
Another added benefit of FGT is that it tends to have lower turbo lag compared to the VGT version and hence for driveable which will be a boon in the city.
110 BHP with a 1.5 unit without VGT will be tough to achieve I feel. May be a 3-5 bhp increase in power can be expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Probably makes sense. 110bhp with oodles of Torque and zero turbo lag should be adequate. Maybe this was in mind when they plunked a 100bhp unit into an Amaze, which was a bit of an overkill.
Quite the contrary is what I've heard, regarding the Amaze engine power. Despite having a paper figure of 100bhp and 200nm torque, I've heard from 2 Amaze owners and then other non-owner references that the Amaze engine is pretty poor at pulling speeds. For a considerably light body, that 100bhp engine should be able to do brisk duty on the highway, but so far I've only heard poorly about it's speedy capabilities.

What is the experience of Amaze owners here, with respect to the car's power?
Old 20th November 2013, 18:40   #441
BHPian

I visited Pride Honda in Hyderabad today and the booking amount is 51K (100% Refundable). The display vehicle is expected in December second week and the deliveries are expected by end of Jan 2014.
As mentioned by many others here they do not have any clear information on the specifications and the final pricing. The SA showed me 31 bookings made so far and the latest one was for an AT petrol version.
Iam yet to make up my mind on the plunge. I would be bringing this topic before my family over the coming weekend and will decide accordingly.
IMO paying 51K in advance is a smart option as it is completely refundable.
Old 20th November 2013, 18:52   #442
Senior - BHPian

Are we sure that the car that will be launched on Nov 25th is the new 2014 City? The press notification does not specify the model. We know that Honda does a good job of keeping the test mules away from us, but even in the case of the Brio, pictures trickled in from Thailand, likewise for the Jazz.

There could be a possibility that Honda will launch either the Mobilio or the Jazz on that day. Or did I miss some obvious signs that the City is here.

The only wish is that, since we have seen the hideous Crider, lets not find it being unveiled in our country on Nov 25 as the new City.
Old 20th November 2013, 20:28   #443
Senior - BHPian

Looking at some of the pictures from the Tokyo Motor Show of the Honda Vezel, Odyssey, S660 and comparing them to the new Jazz, I have come to the conclusion that the pictures posted here of the black and silver car on test in Thailand are of the new City.

The black car -
http://www.thaihondacityclub.com/ind...pic,247.0.html
The silver car -
http://www.hondasacuras.com/2013/11/...this-look.html

The first thing when you look at the pictures is that they are the same car - it just looks a lot bigger in black, which made most of us (including me) dismiss it as being too big.

Second, look at the lip of the bumper where it meets the grill and lights. Compare that with the new Jazz. The design is the same between the two. It's a little more pronounced in the Jazz but essentially the same idea. The rounded bend of the bumper as it meets the horizontal line at the bottom of the main grill, which gets disguised in the Jazz with the aggressive lower air dam treatment, is a Honda design theme now and much more pronounced in the Vezel and the Odyssey.

The main difference between the car in the spy shots and the new Jazz is the lower bumper, which is a lot more aggressive in the latter. Even the photoshop picture doing the rounds transposes that lower bumper design on to the larger car. But the spy shots show that the lower bumper design is softer than the Jazz and the two slats flare outwards as they approach the center grill rather than converge as in the Jazz. After all, there has to be some difference between the two cars.

I mentioned the S660 because that is an example of the Honda badge appearing on the bonnet rather than on the grill, like the spy shots.

One of the spy shots of the black car show projectors at the outer corners of the headlights, which is one of the features expected in the new City and found in the same place in the new Jazz.
StarScream is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 20:54   #444
BHPian

Most people are just taking a chance. Since the amount is fully refundable upon cancelling, many people who are looking for a sedan, but not Vento or Linea or Verna, are just betting on City.

Its like a simple gamble and you have nothing to lose.

And if you win, you will be a star on the road, at least for few days.
Old 20th November 2013, 21:03   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Looking at ...new Jazz.
Here is the translation from goolge for the Black Car from the link that StarScream posted:

"The Secret Spyshot Honda City 2014 This is not me.

Hello followers Thai Honda City Club at the beginning, I have to write a query progress of the Honda City 2014 (New City 2014) , but is there a chance to change suddenly . This is the source of the news itself.

Over the past usually have a break and register the vehicle in a fairly large one car . Hung the body was wrapped with black material similar to duct tape . ( Ha ha ha ... ) on several sites about cars , it brought down the well . People who see it to share with each other and said , "This is a Honda City 2014" Honda to keep quiet until it was secretly taken in Thailand.

Many members are believed to diverse Also some people are heavier than the pressure to say that a Honda Crider car which coordinates between the Honda Civic and Honda Accord to be so I will not read that Honda Crider he sold it to China , then it will come out in Thailand . how funny was not it ? Oh ... I was old news in the written declarations do not see why what ?

I can do it right now (Saturday, November 9, 2556 ) also have a Honda City 2014 cars every fall before you understand that, yes . I would say it is not. And this is that many people think it is. I would say it is just a car brand MG Model MG 550 is a car that CP has teamed with SAIC Automotive In Co.LTD of China to produce the MG brand in Thailand and around the world. Of course, that Thailand would have to sell these cars with which he ran the test itself."

I dont know what to conclude from this!
Old 20th November 2013, 21:09   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Hormazd tweets " Honda engineers say new City diesel more refined than Amaze diesel, better NVH needed to be competitive"

Cheers!
Old 20th November 2013, 21:22   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

Quite the contrary is what I've heard, regarding the Amaze engine power. Despite having a paper figure of 100bhp and 200nm torque, I've heard from 2 Amaze owners and then other non-owner references that the Amaze engine is pretty poor at pulling speeds. For a considerably light body, that 100bhp engine should be able to do brisk duty on the highway, but so far I've only heard poorly about it's speedy capabilities.

What is the experience of Amaze owners here, with respect to the car's power?
I have an Amaze. In simple words it's no highway cruiser.
The main reason being much of power and torque is distributed towards low end i.e. in lower rpms, it's a city cruiser. i-DTEC is not revv loving engine, that's what enthusiast may not prefer. Even the top speed is limited to 145-150 kmph.
Amaze gets 200 nm flat torque from 1500ish-3500 rpm after which it falls.
But when you are driving in city, most other cars will be seeing your tail.
Cars with turbo lag generally have good highway capabilities (duster 110)
City will see change in tuning. So it will have good highway speeds.

Last edited by skyfire2892 : 20th November 2013 at 21:25.
skyfire2892 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 00:17   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
The only wish is that, since we have seen the hideous Crider, lets not find it being unveiled in our country on Nov 25 as the new City.
I dont think its Crider. Crider is a good 200mm longer and should be a higher segment car, probably even longer than the Civic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
There could be a possibility that Honda will launch either the Mobilio or the Jazz on that day.
OT: Can it be the Civic if not the City?
Old 21st November 2013, 01:37   #449
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfire2892 View Post
The main reason being much of power and torque is distributed towards low end i.e. in lower rpms, it's a city cruiser. i-DTEC is not revv loving engine, that's what enthusiast may not prefer. Even the top speed is limited to 145-150 kmph.
A
It may be noted that driving more then 80-100 kmph is illegal in almost all cities / states in India and Indian highway's are not designed for such high speeds. Please do not travel in your car at such high speeds because it not only dangers your life but also dangers life of other road users.

Edit: btw, its also illegal to drive more than 100-120kmph on highways in united states (65-75 mph) where roads are 100 times more developed then India.

Last edited by Max : 21st November 2013 at 01:41.
Max is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 07:51   #450
Distinguished - BHPian

Excerpts from ACI report on the 'speculated' Honda City 2014.

Quote:
Unconfirmed reports say that it’s more of an evolution rather than the revolution the past two Citys have been over their respective predecessors.

The engine is quite familiar though, the Amaze’s 1.5 i-DTEC motor will power the City too but in a different state of tune. Expect power and torque to be marginally enhanced but its fuel efficiency that Honda is after. The company says that customers will be ‘amazed’ (pardon the pun) with the City diesel’s fuel efficiency, which is expected to be the best in class.

The City diesel will use the same Fixed Geometry Turbo (FGT) as in the Amaze. Honda is relying instead on ECU tuning rather than any hardware changes to upgrade the performance and efficiency of this 1.5-litre diesel.

The good news is that the diesel City will be more refined than the diesel Amaze. We criticized the Amaze for its noisy diesel motor and customers aren’t happy either. This feedback has filtered back to Honda and the company is using superior sound deadening material to cut the NVH. A Honda engineer confirmed, "The City is in a higher class than the Amaze and we need to make it .

Pricing: With Amaze occupying a lower price point, the City’s options are only north.
There’s a fear that Honda, which has a growing appetite for profit these days, will use the new City to gently step into the discontinued Civic’s shoes. Hence a more expensive City is much more likely than a cheaper one.

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 21st November 2013 at 07:52.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks