Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2013, 17:44   #91
BHPian

re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Once of the alleged reasons the City diesel is delayed is because it is not worth the money, time and effort to shoe-horn the diesel engine into the current model with the new model so close to launch. If Honda wanted a diesel variant for the current generation City, they would have done it long ago. They needn't have spent close to two years in wilderness
Well Honda is definitely a sound sleeper, otherwise they would have jumped into the diesel bandwagon at least 7 years ago and not let hyundai grow into such a brand in the C C+ segment.

When I mentioned there would be no model change, its exactly what was conveyed to me by Honda customer care. Maybe they thought they could sell one if they said that instead of saying a whole different model will be available in 2 months!!

When the current model was launched they were going to town shouting about the radically new arrowshot design, but this time its been very quiet response from Honda about the diesel variant.
Old 18th October 2013, 14:06   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by microaubin View Post
Well Honda is definitely a sound sleeper, otherwise they would have jumped into the diesel bandwagon at least 7 years ago and not let hyundai grow into such a brand in the C C+ segment.

When I mentioned there would be no model change, its exactly what was conveyed to me by Honda customer care. Maybe they thought they could sell one if they said that instead of saying a whole different model will be available in 2 months!!

When the current model was launched they were going to town shouting about the radically new arrowshot design, but this time its been very quiet response from Honda about the diesel variant.
There could be multiple reasons for this supposedly quite & low profile launch from Honda :

1. Not to affect the sale of current model of Honda City.
In most of the other cars, just before the launch of a new model the sales figures decline substantially even after huge discounts on outgoing models. But with Honda City neither the discounts are too high, nor the sales show a decline. September 2013 sales figures show a sale of about 2000 units of Current Gen City.

2. Trying a marketing approach different from the likes of EcoSport. Honda knows that its 'City' does not need any introduction on Indian roads. So instead of going into large scale marketing campaigns, they have focused on hiding the identity of the New City, so that there is a buzz among the people regarding what the new city is going to be. Maybe after the launch, they will publicize the fact that the City is available in Diesel as well, for the uninformed masses.

3. They plan to launch Jazz before the City. So instead of creating hype over the new city, they want the mass attention towards the new Jazz which is needed for its re-launch after the debacle of the previous gen Jazz. After all the dealers have a limited handling capacity & with the already successful Amaze, they would like their manpower to focus more on Jazz than the City.
Old 18th October 2013, 14:53   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
There could be multiple reasons for this supposedly quite & low profile launch from Honda :

1. Not to affect the sale of current model of Honda City.

2. Trying a marketing approach different from the likes of EcoSport. Honda knows that its 'City' does not need any introduction on Indian roads. So instead of going into large scale marketing campaigns, they have focused on hiding the identity of the New City, so that there is a buzz among the people regarding what the new city is going to be.

3. They plan to launch Jazz before the City.
I agree with point 1 but 2 and 3 are off the mark. The general public isn't as clued in to the fact that the City will undergo a model change soon. So they are unloading stocks before the big splash, which will come for sure. Ford could do what they did with the EcoSport because it was a new product category for them. Also, the Jazz definitely doesn't arrive before the City. From all indications, the City launch is imminent, with other threads talking about how dealers are running out of stock and not accepting bookings that will require fresh factory orders. In fact, I think the Jazz is going to be hard to position between the Amaze, Mobilio and City.
Old 18th October 2013, 15:46   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Could they be launching Honda Crider as the next gen City in India ?
Maybe this is the case. Honda Crider being launched as the New City.
This seems to be the logical explanation for no test mule for the City being spotted anywhere in the World.

Zigwheels had reported that the Crider will be launched in India based on City platform but placed at a price higher than the City. Maybe the Crider IS the new City.

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...o-india/16266/
Old 19th October 2013, 17:23   #95

My dad and me went ahead and booked the Polo GT TSI on 14th October 2013. The expected delivery being late Jan or early Feb 2014. Still hoping that the City 2014 would be launched by then and maybe be the first ones to get our hands on one!
Old 19th October 2013, 19:20   #96
BHPian

I visited the Pride Honda showroom in Madhapur, Hyderabad to enquire about the new Honda City ; rather my intention was to check out if I can get the outgoing City at higher discounts. Anyway, to my disappointment, the SE told me that they have stopped taking bookings for City long back and the last delivery is expected by end of this month. He was very confident that the New City will be unveiled in December '14, with bookings starting after X'Mas.

On a side note, he also tried his best to convince me to buy the Amaze. Thinking about it, the Honda showrooms these days lack any options ; No city. no Civic, No sign of the Accord anywhere, No CRVs to be seen. They are just selling Brio and Amaze and that's it.
Old 19th October 2013, 20:21   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post

On a side note, he also tried his best to convince me to buy the Amaze. Thinking about it, the Honda showrooms these days lack any options ; No city. no Civic, No sign of the Accord anywhere, No CRVs to be seen. They are just selling Brio and Amaze and that's it.
To make money and sell to masses, the trios namely brio, amaze and city is good enough. The other models are way too expensive for our market. They might look at introducing higher ends after getting suitable diesel Mills.
Accord, crvs, civics are petrol only for now, and they may hardly sell in single or double digits.
I think Honda is playing it's cards cleverly...
Old 19th October 2013, 20:30   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phkr19 View Post
My dad and me went ahead and booked the Polo GT TSI on 14th October 2013. The expected delivery being late Jan or early Feb 2014. Still hoping that the City 2014 would be launched by then and maybe be the first ones to get our hands on one!
Polot GT TSI & City are completely different cars in different segments having different characteristics. How are the 2 cars related?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
I visited the Pride Honda showroom in Madhapur, Hyderabad to enquire about the new Honda City ; rather my intention was to check out if I can get the outgoing City at higher discounts. Anyway, to my disappointment, the SE told me that they have stopped taking bookings for City long back and the last delivery is expected by end of this month. He was very confident that the New City will be unveiled in December '14, with bookings starting after X'Mas.
I guess you meant December '13.
After so many cases now, I guess we can safely assume that the new City will definitely hit the Indian market in 2013 itself.
Old 19th October 2013, 21:34   #99
BHPian

If the crider is really the new city, its a dissapointment from honda. I, for one don't like its overdone looks.
I believe the amaze caters to a different set of buyers than the city. IMHO trying to convert a potential city buyer to the amaze is no good. A guy looking to buy the city will more likely consider verna, vento, linea rather than amaze.
Any discounts on the surplus stocks of the current city?
Old 19th October 2013, 22:05   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
If the crider is really the new city, its a dissapointment from honda. I, for one don't like its overdone looks.
I believe the amaze caters to a different set of buyers than the city. IMHO trying to convert a potential city buyer to the amaze is no good. A guy looking to buy the city will more likely consider verna, vento, linea rather than amaze.
Any discounts on the surplus stocks of the current city?
From what I read there are no big discounts as expected by many people , I also doubt about the excess stock (if any) because as per autotranny HONDA has stopped taking any new bookings for the CITY from a while , so I guess they have cautiously planned their inventory.
Old 19th October 2013, 22:25   #101
Senior - BHPian

Crider is more suited to being a Hyundai rather than a Honda. but then, the Chinese do prefer more aggressive lines...the Indian version ( if it's coming) will have the aggressive body lines toned down.

@harishpr

Give me a new Civic with a diesel mill and I'll swap my 2006 model for thar one
Old 20th October 2013, 10:32   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
From what I read there are no big discounts as expected by many people , I also doubt about the excess stock (if any) because as per autotranny HONDA has stopped taking any new bookings for the CITY from a while , so I guess they have cautiously planned their inventory.
The very purpose of my visit was to see how big a discount I could manage on the City SAT model . Apparently the last delivery of City is planned for Oct 27th in this showroom, so forget booking at all. Now my biggest worry is to know how more expensive is the City going to get in its 2014 avatar.
Old 20th October 2013, 11:54   #103

Quote:
Polot GT TSI & City are completely different cars in different segments having different characteristics. How are the 2 cars related?
Yes agreed. But we wanted a good automatic for around a 10-12 Lakh and had decided on the City Automatic. Since the automatic stopped around August 2013, decided on the Polo GT TSI.

Now to spice things up Vento TSI is also launched. Lets see what Honda does with the automatic motor in the new City. Honda now just cannot launch a diesel and let Vento take away the sales of the Automatics.
Old 20th October 2013, 14:32   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe this is the case. Honda Crider being launched as the New City.
This seems to be the logical explanation for no test mule for the City being spotted anywhere in the World.

Zigwheels had reported that the Crider will be launched in India based on City platform but placed at a price higher than the City. Maybe the Crider IS the new City.

Size wise the Crider slots between the Civic and the Accord - that makes me seriously doubt it is the new City.

Looks wise I think the Jade concept is closer to what the new City will look like from the front - essentially a smaller derivative of the Civic.

Last edited by StarScream : 20th October 2013 at 14:46.
Old 21st October 2013, 07:09   #105
BHPian

Quote:

I for one don't like the aggressive lines on the Crider. Existing City looks far better.

I am surprised after going through the thread that there is no spy shot of next gen City. Hope they are not planning to badge Crider as City in India.

Anyways, let's see if Honda can take the lead in providing us with Diesel Automatic.

Last edited by Simhi : 21st October 2013 at 07:10. Reason: Quote tag missed
Closed Thread

Most Viewed