Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2013, 06:55   #301
Senior - BHPian

re: Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013

I really hope the new City is based on the 2014 Fit/ Jazz and is not the Crider.

Some posts here say the new City will be a segment straddler, covering for both City (higher variants) and the discontinued Civic which could give enough space for Amaze/ Mobilio below it. And all of this points strongly in the direction of the Crider. I just hope this is not the case and that we get a beautiful compact sedan based on the new Fit.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 08:24   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I really hope the new City is based on the 2014 Fit/ Jazz and is not the Crider.

Some posts here say the new City will be a segment straddler, covering for both City (higher variants) and the discontinued Civic which could give enough space for Amaze/ Mobilio below it. And all of this points strongly in the direction of the Crider. I just hope this is not the case and that we get a beautiful compact sedan based on the new Fit.
Exactly.

Honda is revealing a lot of design changes across its models, the most recent being the Civic coupe at the SEMA show(2014 Civic refresh link), all in lines of their new design concept.
The latest refresh to the Civic has some strong resemblance to the new Jazz. Hope the new City follows that an not the Crider.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 11:22   #303
BHPian

My friend works with Honda & he has told me that the City will based on the new Jazz/Fit. The interiors would be very similar to that of the 2014 Jazz. Also, the prices would be around the same as that of the Hyundai Verna, may be slightly higher but not significantly higher. Feature list too will be similar to that of the new Jazz.
ankan_g is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 13:43   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan_g View Post
My friend works with Honda & he has told me that the City will based on the new Jazz/Fit. The interiors would be very similar to that of the 2014 Jazz. Also, the prices would be around the same as that of the Hyundai Verna, may be slightly higher but not significantly higher. Feature list too will be similar to that of the new Jazz.
If the feature list is going to be similar to Jazz, it would NOT be anything like Verna's equipment levels I believe. Then they want to charge a premium for City over Verna? Bad move I guess!
Old 7th November 2013, 14:45   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If the feature list is going to be similar to Jazz, it would NOT be anything like Verna's equipment levels I believe. Then they want to charge a premium for City over Verna? Bad move I guess!
Hmm.. I guess you are assuming the feature list of the NEW Jazz will not be good.. but is that a fair assumption?
But, still, going by history, Honda won't match the features of a Hyundai at a similar price range.
I feel City can command a premium over Verna but not by much. So, if is going to have less features, I guess it will be priced at par with Verna. Else, if Honda loads it up with lots of features matching the Verna, it can be priced at 50K or so higher than the Verna.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 15:21   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Hmm.. I guess you are assuming the feature list of the NEW Jazz will not be good.. but is that a fair assumption?
But, still, going by history, Honda won't match the features of a Hyundai at a similar price range.
I feel City can command a premium over Verna but not by much. So, if is going to have less features, I guess it will be priced at par with Verna. Else, if Honda loads it up with lots of features matching the Verna, it can be priced at 50K or so higher than the Verna.
Yes, a bit of assumption on the Jazz, primarily seeing the pics. Again as you said, partially going by the "history" of Honda as well.

I am still trying to understand what will be City diesel's USP against the Verna CRDi (as it's the segment best seller) if they want to place it at a premium. The 1.5L diesel engine may lose the FE edge if it's used on a bigger / heavier car and when more power / torque is derived out of it.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th November 2013 at 15:35.
Old 7th November 2013, 15:29   #307
BHPian

Very difficult to digest that there has been no spy pics of a car which is to be unveiled in around 2 weeks time, unless they are testing it on the moon. This fact makes me wonder if the Crider itself is the new city, although i hope it is not. Can anyone with inside contacts maybe clarify on this aspect so that i can put my mind to rest
Old 7th November 2013, 15:37   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
Very difficult to digest that there has been no spy pics of a car which is to be unveiled in around 2 weeks time, unless they are testing it on the moon. This fact makes me wonder if the Crider itself is the new city, although i hope it is not. Can anyone with inside contacts maybe clarify on this aspect so that i can put my mind to rest
I don't wonder about it. Did we see any test mules of Amaze anywhere? I think the first glimpse was when the media TD happened in Japan and then later when the cars reached the dealer stockyards. Can't quite recollect seeing any test spy pics.
Old 7th November 2013, 15:43   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

I look at the City-Verna fight in this way. If you analyze the last 5-6 months of Monthly sales analysis (of Team Bhp). On an average Verna sales were ~4000 per month. City during the same period was ~2000 cars. Now look at the Petrol-Diesel split of the Verna. Petrols account for only ~30 % of the monthly sales. Which means ~1200 cars a month.

So just considering petrol, the City was comfortably out selling the Verna even though it had lower equipment levels and was priced higher. And we know that the i-Dtec diesel of the Honda is a competent engine assuming it will be tuned for a higher output in the new City, it should be equivalent/close to the Verna diesel.

So I don't see any reason why Honda cannot price it higher than the Verna even with lesser equipment levels. It should still sell enough to make them the segment leader again.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 15:48   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post

Yes , this being one of the most awaited launch I agree to your point that the assumptions are in the fast lane.There are multiple speculations around the way the new CITY is expected to look and on the same thread I have seen fellow BHP-ians quoting the platform of Crider or Jazz.
Phew !!! , while the guessing game is on all we can do is wait for the suspense to be revealed in this thriller .
Old 7th November 2013, 17:44   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
If the same petrol is carried forward, there is NO WAY Honda can price the car at more than 100k premium over the current City ex-showroom unless the car is substantially bigger and way better loaded. And it cannot be substantially bigger if it is based on the Jazz platform.

I believe the diesel will max out at 13.00 - 13.5 OTR in the most expensive places for the Manual if it is well loaded. It cannot command more than 2L real OTR over the Vento diesel (considering that the Vento has 1L+ discounts on all models except TSI)
It will most definitely be based on the Jazz platform, more specifically the 2013 Fit launched a few months back. I am guessing that they will be using C-Rider's panels and styling cues, as well as bits and pieces from the Fit, to complete the 2014 City.

In the end, it won't be surprising at all if the new City ends up looking like the rendering which is circulating around - the one with the Fit's front, C-Rider's side looks/lines and most probably a rounded out Civic rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
@RavenAvi
I remember you had first booked a Jazz and due to long waiting period you decided to go with the Corporate Edition city. .
But what happened to this about the Jazz
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2597011
OT - Indeed! Well, it's still on the cards. Hopefully the new Fit next year when it is launched. We still have room in the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

+1. Even I am hoping for the same. One major reason behind the thinking - the C-Rider is large (more than 4600 mm in length, present City is 4440 mm). Honda can't price it anywhere below 10L if they bring that in as the new City, even with the minimum list of features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Exactly.

Honda is revealing a lot of design changes across its models, the most recent being the Civic coupe at the SEMA show(2014 Civic refresh link), all in lines of their new design concept.
The latest refresh to the Civic has some strong resemblance to the new Jazz. Hope the new City follows that an not the Crider.
Add to that the new design philosophy of Honda, following the H-concept body design and the Concept C car design. Yes, the 2014 City should resemble the 2013 Jazz in many ways, although remember, even the present-generation City and Jazz didn't resemble each other in terms of looks in even the remotest bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan_g View Post
Sounds like what the ASM conveyed to me as well. Features aside, the new City should be gunning for the Verna as it's direct and fiercest competitor in terms of sales. With the i-DTEC in tow, and the legendary Honda reliability and badge, it will be interesting to compare the sales figures of both cars in 6 months' time after the 2014 City's launch, specially the diesel : petrol ratio.

Don't forget one important factor here - Honda can easily accomodate another 10,000 cars per month from January 2014 onwards. Their Tapukara plant will be underway and fully operational, which would mean another 1,20,000 cars per annum.

Finally, here are some key differences between the City and the C-Rider:

Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013-untitled.gif

Last edited by RavenAvi : 7th November 2013 at 17:48.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 18:35   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Sounds like what the ASM conveyed to me as well. Features aside, the new City should be gunning for the Verna as it's direct and fiercest competitor in terms of sales. With the i-DTEC in tow, and the legendary Honda reliability and badge, it will be interesting to compare the sales figures of both cars in 6 months' time after the 2014 City's launch, specially the diesel : petrol ratio.

Don't forget one important factor here - Honda can easily accomodate another 10,000 cars per month from January 2014 onwards. Their Tapukara plant will be underway and fully operational, which would mean another 1,20,000 cars per annum.

Attachment 1162790
First of all congrats for your purchase. I also had purchased Amaze only because Honda's badge is enough for me.
Honda had said earlier that Tapukara plant will be used for Jazz,City and compact SUV, while Noida plant for Amaze/Brio. Given that Amaze's sales have touched 10k, they'll have to do the same. But when Mobilio comes into play(along with Jazz,City), production constraints will come into play as demand may go upto 30k a month.
As we are taking petrol and diesel here, let me add the Amaze had 5905 diesel and 3659 petrol models sold in October. It's clear that everyone loves i-VTEC. Obviously i-DTEC will sell in larger numbers in City too but i-VTEC sales would be good too, atleast much better than other cars in segment.
Given they could put 99 BHP in Amaze, i hope 120+ BHP in City both diesel and petrol. Personally it'll blow away Verna(no offence to anyone) but equipment list is still an uncharted territory.
Again FE is another strong point with Honda's engine.

Last edited by skyfire2892 : 7th November 2013 at 18:36.
skyfire2892 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 19:33   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Finally, here are some key differences between the City and the C-Rider:
If the new City is indeed going to be the CRider, then it is actually good news. CRider is as large as the Civic. A Civic size car for a little more than City's price is good.

Probably, Amaze is Honda's new City and City is Honda's new Civic.

Disclaimer: Speculation.
Old 7th November 2013, 22:11   #314
BHPian

Guys, I was just watching this Autocar India Podcast Episode and it showed Autocar Images for the new Honda City while Mr. Hormazd Sorabjee was talking about new launches to be from Honda. Below is a link to that video

Anyway, the image shown here could just be an interpretation by the magazine but if that is in fact the model, then it merely seems like a face lift. Below is the image I captured from the above mentioned video.

Confirmed: 2014 Honda City to be unveiled in November 2013-autocar-honda.jpg

My question is, that is going to be a completely new model or just another face lift. Can anyone please give more information on this ?
Somu2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 22:41   #315
Senior - BHPian

It is probably an interpretation by Autocar , i dont have an issue handy but typically when they have an image and on top of that there is a yellow box which says "Autocar image" its a render according to them and not the actual photo. In your screenshot the word IMAGE and the yellow box can be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somu2009 View Post
Anyway, the image shown here could just be an interpretation by the magazine but if that is in fact the model, then it merely seems like a face lift. Below is the image I captured from the above mentioned video.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks