Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2013, 14:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Alto 800, now available in VXi trim

News Link Added

India's largest selling car, the Alto 800, is now available in an additional version as Maruti Suzuki has added the VXi trim to the small car's variant line up. The Alto 800, in VXi trim sits at the very top of the variant line up and is priced at 3.17 lakh rupees, ex-showroom Delhi. The VXi trim of the Alto 800 seems like a variant that has been readied up keeping car buyer feedback in mind.

Maruti Alto 800, now available in VXi trim-maruti-alto-800.jpg

The features added to the Alto 800 through the VXi trim reflects this angle of thought as hitherto missing features such as central locking and a stereo player that supports the USB function, have been added. Team-BHP learns that Maruti Suzuki dealers across most Indian cities are taking bookings for the VXi variant of the car, with deliveries slated to begin shortly.

Here's a round up of the new features on the VXi model of the Alto 800,
  • Side moulding
  • Manual central locking
  • Factory fitted stereo system with USB support
  • Two front speakers
  • 12 Volt Power Socket
  • Rear Roof Spoiler
  • Rear Parcel Tray
  • Internally adjustable left hand side wing mirror

The driver side airbag will be offered as an optional extra, as is the case with the petrol powered LXi model. The VXi trim for the Alto 800 is not available with the CNG-Petrol dual fuel model of the small car. Available in seven other trims, the VXi variant of the Alto 800 is priced about 13,500 rupees higher than the LXi model.

The Alto 800 features a reworked 796cc-3 cylinder petrol engine that outputs a peak power of 48 PS-69 Nm. The engine is mated to a 5 speed manual gearbox as standard. The revised version of the F8D petrol engine is not just more powerful and torquey but is also more fuel efficient. The base version of the Alto 800 skips air conditioning and the power steering.

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th June 2013 at 18:05. Reason: Right and side mirror changed to left - as requested. Thanks.
JayPrashanth is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 16:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Alto 800, now available in VXi trim

Was just browsing through the Alto 800 website and was surprised to find prices for Vxi variant mentioned. I initally thought it was an error on the website. Came to tbhp and found this thread!

I believe the rear parcel tray, internally adjustable RVM and 12 volt power socket are already available on the Lxi variant.

Last edited by longhorn : 17th June 2013 at 16:13.
Old 17th June 2013, 17:03   #3
BHPian

It looks like there's a lot of value to be gained by spending that extra 13,500. Things like stereo system and central locking itself, are, I think worth more than that if one considers the aftermarket installations. Only downside is, it's not available in CNG version so that might put off some people.

On another note, I wish they would facelift this model soon, what an eyesore!

Last edited by EagleEye : 17th June 2013 at 17:06.
EagleEye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 17:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

I did not know this variant was not launched till now! I somehow assumed that the VXi was also launched since it was ready at the time of Alto800 launch. Guess they might have dropped it to avoid cannibalization of the AltoK10. Anyway, better late than never.

Always good to see a company (especially one like MSIL) give more goodies in its basic models. Guess one still has to buy the LH rear view mirror as MGA! When God when?!
Old 17th June 2013, 17:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Seems like Maruti is pulling out all plugs to push its entry model against its competition mainly the Eon which has many variants at various trim levels.

One thing to note is that the combined sale of the Alto800 and the K10 is still 10k lesser than the previous model and with the current market condition seems to remain that way for some time now.

Another point that might be hurting it is the fact that people are perceiving it to be a tad smaller in dimension compared to the outgoing model.

Last edited by girishglg : 17th June 2013 at 17:46.
Old 17th June 2013, 18:07   #6
BHPian

The page loaded and I gasped, and unable to control myself from puking I used my office dustbin to unload. The car looks so horrible it makes me want to ball up and die.

Oh, there will be more of them on the road now.
hellmet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 18:52   #7
BHPian

Sad to see, another safety equipment like Rear defogger is still being missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
News Link Added
[*]Internally adjustable right hand side wing mirror[/list]
I think it was already available in previous top-end LXi version but now in VXi they've added the Left one with Internal adjustment.

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th June 2013 at 18:07. Reason: You're right. Point corrected to say "left" wing mirror (not right). Thanks.
CRtorquefan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 20:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sounds like yet another of those limited editions, but luckily without body graphics and 'limited' tag.

Would have loved to see a rear wiper and tachometer in VXi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
It looks like there's a lot of value to be gained by spending that extra 13,500. Things like stereo system and central locking itself, are, I think worth more than that if one considers the aftermarket installations.
I doubt if its really worth it. There is nothing in that list that cannot be fitted from aftermarket at a better price than MGA. Central locking should not cost more than 1k. Its not the remote locking with security system, just manual central locking.

On the stereo, it depends on which brand they might be providing for HU and speakers. AFAIK, you can get decent HU with USB from Pioneer/Kenwood/Sony for around 5k and I don't expect Maruti to provide anything better than that for the Alto.

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th June 2013 at 18:08. Reason: Rear spoiler was written twice in error. Post edited accordingly. Thanks.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 22:01   #9
BHPian

Maruti could have provided what a wagonR or astar has in its VXi variant to atleast maintain standards within its portfolio. Leave the audio setup which we can get it done after market,Getting a rear wiper, central locking, power windows, both side ORVMs is a decent expectation from a buyer, isn't it?
Old 17th June 2013, 23:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

The Audio head unit is of Nippon make and according to a dealer in Mumbai, costs Rs 15,000 for HU plus four speakers and Rs 12,500 for HU and two speakers. I dont think this is true.

Also, remote central locking for the Alto 800 available from MGA costs Rs 6,000 and rear spoiler is Rs 5,000
fx45 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks