Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2014, 07:15   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Suzuki Swift Facelift Revealed

I think the alloys look even more pathetic because there are no center caps in either of them. I am sure, there will be center caps in the version that come's out.
Old 19th October 2014, 11:42   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I think the alloys look even more pathetic because there are no center caps in either of them. I am sure, there will be center caps in the version that come's out.
I think it has a lot to do with the clutter due to too many thick and thin spokes. 5+5 in current Swift/Dzire alloy was already close to the limit but the design ensured enough gaps to highlight the pattern. If they wanted to introduce more spokes, they should have removed the thicker spokes and went with entirely thinner spokes. This new design looks more like wheel caps than alloys!

It might look better (but ordinary) if they remove those 6 thin spokes too.

Last edited by zenren : 19th October 2014 at 11:43.
Old 19th October 2014, 16:42   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
They're supplied separately with the new cars as they're prone to get damaged or can fall while transportation of cars to dealers.
They're provided at delivery time.
CRtorquefan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 16:52   #244
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
.....safety features like Airbags & ABS should be provided at multiple variant levels than to treat it as luxury or special feature for top-end variants only. Expecting atleast Driver side airbag & ABS brakes across the range, if not the latter than across the V & Z spec variant atleast or we might see a new addition V+ variant in Maruti's hatchback nomenclature, like in sedan segment.
Didn't they have V-ABS variants (both Petrol and Diesel) on the previous generation Swift? I still don't understand why those were done away with, esp. given 'V' is the highest selling variant on most Maruti cars.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 17:06   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Didn't they have V-ABS variants (both Petrol and Diesel) on the previous generation Swift? I still don't understand why those were done away with, esp. given 'V' is the highest selling variant on most Maruti cars.
They had V-ABS since there was no ZDi in Swift back then. Once there were enough costlier options like i20, Punto, Polo et al, the price of a ZDi was no longer "too much for a hatch" from common man's perspective. So Maruti decided to milk the crowd who wanted safety features by introducing Z variant and removing the optional ABS from V. It is ironic that the Ritz still offers that option. I hope they bring it back in Swift with the facelift, especially with the mediocre brakes in the current model.
Old 19th October 2014, 18:02   #246
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
They had V-ABS since there was no ZDi in Swift back then. Once there were enough costlier options like i20, Punto, Polo et al, the price of a ZDi was no longer "too much for a hatch" from common man's perspective. So Maruti decided to milk the crowd who wanted safety features by introducing Z variant and removing the optional ABS from V. It is ironic that the Ritz still offers that option. I hope they bring it back in Swift with the facelift, especially with the mediocre brakes in the current model.
Only partially true, since the Petrol V counterpart also had an ABS option, but cost/price isn't my point at all.

My point is, why do I need to pay for a bunch of stuff I don't need/want to get a couple of features from the safety parts bin? I don't want the useless (for me) bells and whistles shoved down my throat just because I want better brakes and ABS/Airbags (swift-specific example since that's the car being discussed, plenty of examples for other brands exist too).
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 18:35   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Only partially true, since the Petrol V counterpart also had an ABS option, but cost/price isn't my point at all.

My point is, why do I need to pay for a bunch of stuff I don't need/want to get a couple of features from the safety parts bin? I don't want the useless (for me) bells and whistles shoved down my throat just because I want better brakes and ABS/Airbags (swift-specific example since that's the car being discussed, plenty of examples for other brands exist too).
Precisely the reason I started the other thread. Maruti and Hyundai would not improve unless there is a huge pressure on them!

However, it is equally the sales advisors to blame for the withdrawal of ABS option. In most cases, sales advisors in showrooms discouraged customers of V variants from opting the ABS add-on option and this resulted in only a small fraction opting for the same, who knew what they were doing and ignored the SA. There was a higher waiting period too for the ABS option when we purchased: 2-3 months for VDi, 4 months for VDi ABS that again discouraged customers from buying ABS option.

Eventually, when Maruti looked at these numbers, they see that no one wants ABS even if it is priced at a very reasonable 20k extra. So they pull out the option.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 22:26   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurvapg View Post
Test Drove the new 1.5 TDi Polo yesterday. Compared to the DDiS the engine is really noisy, even after a few kilometres the clatter refuses to die down. The DDiS is in a different league in terms of refinement. However the TDi is definitely more powerful and does have much better spread of torque, so everyday city traffic is easier to live with. The ride is soft, so the handling does not do justice to the all the power available on tap. I think the next gen MBQ platform Polo would do better justice to the 1.5TDi's power and torque. This chassis is capable but the Swift has a chassis which in my opinion is the best handling in the world.

But I am still not convinced with the Polo for India. Its way too heavy to be nimble and cannot do quick or sudden lane changes like the swift (to tackle or unpredictable driving conditions). The back seat space is a joke and and biggest concern is the A.S.S of VW which lets face it is 'shit', as is the resale value of their vehicles.

I agree about the fit and finish of their cars is exceptional, but given the rough use conditions of India the Swift is really durable and I am sure won't cost an arm and a leg to replace.

So yeah given all parameters including a good driving experience, I would definitely stick the little trusted Maruti.

This is a never ending debate--Japs/ Korean Cars vs the Europeans. I'm sure both the Polo and the swift have their own merits and flaws, but calling the swift the best handling car in the world is just a little too far fetched. Earlier the Swift offered fantastic value for money that probably say a Getz or a Palio didn't, but it longer does so. The I20 is a better choice if one wants features and it does have equally good service and decent resale too. The refreshed Polo on the other hand offers a brilliant engine, even though noisy, can be pushed to the limit. The 75bhp DDIS runs out of breath say post 140kmph and is just not in the league of 1.5TDi. Most importantly the swift's braking is not confidence inspiring, so the handling logic does not serve any purpose.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 22:47   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
The Polo twins are by far the best driver cars in the segment..
If only the Polo had a better steering. The potent engines and the chassis definitely deserves a better EPS unit inside.

Coming to the Swift face-lift, the new alloy wheel looks very uninspiring. The current ones are very unique and smart looking. Somehow, the face lift feels like too little too late. Refreshed Polo and new i20 have pushed the posts so far out. MSIL will have to play the value card. And hope there are some goodies on the inside like split seats, Bluetooth etc. Like everyone says, I too wish they offer ABS/ EBD as an option at least in the L and V variants.

Maruti has sold so many over the past decade, they really owe our market a 'real' sports variant for the Swift. One with 1.4 K series/ MJD VGT doing the duty on 16" wheels.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 23:51   #250
Senior - BHPian

Booking for All New Maruti Swift opened at Rs.10000. Launch scheduled post Diwali.

https://twitter.com/gaadiwaadi/statu...36994057162752
Old 20th October 2014, 01:01   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
This is a never ending debate--Japs/ Korean Cars vs the Europeans. I'm sure both the Polo and the swift have their own merits and flaws, but calling the swift the best handling car in the world is just a little too far fetched. Earlier the Swift offered fantastic value for money that probably say a Getz or a Palio didn't, but it longer does so. The I20 is a better choice if one wants features and it does have equally good service and decent resale too. The refreshed Polo on the other hand offers a brilliant engine, even though noisy, can be pushed to the limit. The 75bhp DDIS runs out of breath say post 140kmph and is just not in the league of 1.5TDi. Most importantly the swift's braking is not confidence inspiring, so the handling logic does not serve any purpose.
True, the best handling car in the world is a bit too far-fetched, but all international reviews put the Swift Sports right up there. In terms of value for money the top end diesel i20 Elite is almost a lack more than the ZDi. Don't know about you but that is quite a bit for bland driving hatch which is just stuffed full with kit. The Elite doesn't even get rear disc's at this price.

Even the Polo's are overpriced for the engine's on offer. The whole idea for VW to develop the 1.5TDi was to offer better value for money, which it doesn't and hence they do not sell even with free insurance.

Braking is an issue with the Swift, the facelift should hopefully address those problems and get more basic kit to offer.
Old 20th October 2014, 08:08   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
The 75bhp DDIS runs out of breath say post 140kmph and is just not in the league of 1.5TDi. Most importantly the swift's braking is not confidence inspiring, so the handling logic does not serve any purpose.
How often does a car on Indian roads need to go beyond 140? Frankly, anything above 120-130 is not really going to matter since we don't have the roads for that. With the cops getting better equipped with speed guns, you can't do such speeds anymore even on empty stretches.These are turning out to be just comparisons on paper. If a car ran out of steam at 80 or 100, I agree that there are roads where it is not ideal. However, a decent performance till 140 makes it sufficient for all legal speed limits.

I do agree regarding the mediocre brakes of Swift; hope they address it this time around.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 16:08   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Variant-wise feature changes of the 2014 Swift are:
  1. All variants will get driver seat height adjustment
  2. VXi/VDi get an integrated music system with 4 speakers
  3. Power folding wing mirrors for V and Z trims
  4. Foglight enclosures of V and Z trims get silver L-shaped elements. The Swift will not get LED daytime running lights like the international model
  5. Top-end ZXi/ZDi get reverse parking sensors, Bluetooth, and engine starter button
In addition, expect the 2014 Swift to deliver marginally better FE figures due to tweaks made by MSIL engineers. Engines stay the same as before.

SOURCE - http://indianautosblog.com/2014/10/m...details-153731
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 16:14   #254
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Variant-wise feature changes of the 2014 Swift are:[*]All variants will get driver seat height adjustment[*]VXi/VDi get an integrated music system with 4 speakers[*]Power folding wing mirrors for V and Z trims[*]Foglight enclosures of V and Z trims get silver L-shaped elements. The Swift will not get LED daytime running lights like the international model[*]Top-end ZXi/ZDi get reverse parking sensors, Bluetooth, and engine starter buttonIn addition, expect the 2014 Swift to deliver marginally better FE figures due to tweaks made by MSIL engineers. Engines stay the same as before.
No mention of safety features getting included in the V trim or at least better and improved brakes for the L and V variant that are the highest selling. Come on Maruti! What are you waiting for?

EDIT:

Look at the funny part, addition of a silly 'L-shaped' plastic is a 'special' feature that has got a mention in "What are the changes done in facelift model?!"

How silly can Maruti get! Heights I must say! These guys need to be kicked.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 20th October 2014 at 16:21.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 16:35   #255
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
No mention of safety features getting included in the V trim or at least better and improved brakes for the L and V variant that are the highest selling. Come on Maruti! What are you waiting for?

EDIT:

Look at the funny part, addition of a silly 'L-shaped' plastic is a 'special' feature that has got a mention in "What are the changes done in facelift model?!"
Since they are introducing a premium hatchback above Swift, these features are excluded here, I guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks