Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2014, 21:03   #316
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2014 Suzuki Swift Facelift Revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
It's indeed irresponsible of Maruti Suzuki to discriminate against the middle variant's petrol buyers in this manner. Driver's airbag and ABS should have been made standard on the V_i variants, in my opinion.
Their 'lowest common denominator' mentality seems a major reason why Maruti hasn't been able to crack any segment except the sub-10 lakh ones. A customer paying a million+ rupees for a product tends to look at the whole picture and won't be as easily swayed by 'bling' as say a customer in the 5 lakh bracket. I'm seeing increasing traction for supplementary safety features (airbags, ABS, ESP etc.) in my acquaintance circle. The younger demographic (late 20s-mid 30s) moving on from their first cars want much more from their upgrades than accessories they can easily get after-market (much better quality for similar prices), and they'd prefer stuff that's only available OEM from the manufacturer (safety equipment) and difficult to retrofit, for their money's worth instead.

Maruti may continue to sell good numbers (enough people will buy no matter what, if only for easily available service than anything else), but a certain section of the demographic they dominated 5 years ago no longer see their cars as VFM, just cheap. The definition of VFM is evolving and Maruti doesn't seem to want to keep up with it.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th October 2014 at 21:05.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 22:05   #317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Refreshed-swift-has-been-launched-rs442-lakhs
The following matter is mentioned at the above link-
The advanced thermal management system in diesel engine along with low friction engine oil and modified fuel injection system helps the diesel engine to warm up faster and reduce frictional losses.
The New Swift comes factory filled with low friction engine oil. But what about the Oil Change at MASS during Servicing? Would the MASS use such Low Friction Oil in New Swift?
From my previous experiences, MASS always gets prior notice from Maruti in advance.

Regards
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 07:49   #318
Senior - BHPian

The additional kit is nice. What is not nice is bringing down power to favour economy. I don't blame MSIL for doing this. All we care about is mileage. What I would have liked is an option to choose a higher state of tune on the 1.2l or a bigger (1.4l, 1.6l), more powerful petrol engine, a 90bhp or higher diesel. Hope this new face lift has the brakes sorted.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 29th October 2014 at 07:51.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 10:43   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
* Petrol 1.2 is now 9.7% more fuel efficient (20.4 kpl instead of 18.6 kpl - ARAI figures) but less power (83.1bhp instead of 85.8bhp)

* Diesel 1.3 is now 10% more fuel efficient (25.2 kpl instead of 22.9 kpl - ARAI figures) that too with same power (74bhp).

If ECU tweaking can do so much improvement, why Maruti can't give ECU tweaking option to old Swift users (2011-14 and even earlier Swift user)? It is same engine after all.
It is not ECU tweak this time; they have changed the grade of oil to low friction oil and a new fuel pump has been introduced which has resulted in better combustion of fuel resulting in improved efficiency.

The fuel pump will also help MSIL when the next level of Euro / Bharat norms are introduced in Tier-1 cities. This fuel pump is a straight lift from their export model for international markets.

The total additional expense is about 25 K, should you wish to take it up.

Last edited by i74js : 29th October 2014 at 10:54.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 11:42   #320
BHPian

Highly disappointed with Maruti for not providing ABS in middle variant of Petrol.

Anyways the website has been updated and looks like they have discontinued Torque blue color along with Midnight Black and instead have added Fire Red, Violet and Granite Grey.
Granite Grey (similar as of Ertiga) will definitely look good on the Swift. Can't say the same about the Violet shade though.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 12:12   #321
BHPian

I'm disappointed as well.

They should have launched VXi and VDI with standard ABS and a V(O) with dual airbags and rear wiper kit as extra. Why that factory fitted music system on V? People can get way better ones done outside. I think they tried to follow what Tata did in XM. But they conveniently ignored what they did with XMS. May be they thought that the already small percentage of the overpriced Z would go down even further if they gave airbags in V.

Also, the Z variants were already overpriced to begin with. They should have given all these enhancements without increasing the price. But they're the market leaders, they don't care.

I wanted to book a ZXi a couple of months back, but couldn't, as I couldn't get a loan since I'm still new in the job and in probationary period. I don't feel like dropping 7.4L on a Swift petrol(Prior to facelift, I'd have got it for 6.9 considering the discounts. I don't need any of the enhancements provided in the facelift). The Liva JD/GD have started to look like VFM since they get airbags/ABS as standard. I may even decide to wait for Bolt as it looks like the XT QJD will only be slightly more expensive than the ZXi.

Last edited by theredliner : 29th October 2014 at 12:15.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 12:20   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Also, the Z variants were already overpriced to begin with. They should have given all these enhancements without increasing the price. But they're the market leaders, they don't care.

I wanted to book a ZXi a couple of months back, but couldn't, as I couldn't get a loan since I'm still new in the job and in probationary period. I don't feel like dropping 7.4L on a Swift. The Liva JD/GD have started to look like VFM since they get airbags/ABS as standard. I may even decide to wait for Bolt as it looks lie the XT QJD will only be slightly more expensive than the ZXi.
Z variant is not overpriced IMO. Liva is value for money but with below standard interior quality. Personally I would not like to own a car while constantly cursing the bad interiors as we are surrounded by the it all the time. Bolt seems promising and I hope it will be priced less than the competition with at par interior quality.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 12:26   #323
BHPian

MS is the most shameless car manufacturer in India when it comes to safety features. At a time when VW and others are making dual airbags standard across variants, it is shocking that MS makes it available only on the top variant. DRLs, electrically folding mirrors, and the start/stop button are NOT going to save your life when you have an accident.

I don't know why I rant. The new Swift gives better mileage, so it is going to sell. Once again the Indian customer gets what he deserves...
TheLizardKing is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 12:57   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post

I don't know why I rant. The new Swift gives better mileage, so it is going to sell. Once again the Indian customer gets what he deserves...
Totally agree on this. MS makes car for the masses who prefer FE over safety. People who prefer safety can still opt for the higher end model and MS charges a premium on that.

Unless there are laws for safety, I don't think MS /or other companies for that matter will do anything about this!
Old 29th October 2014, 13:52   #325
BHPian

Quote:
MS is the most shameless car manufacturer in India when it comes to safety features. At a time when VW and others are making dual airbags standard across variants, it is shocking that MS makes it available only on the top variant. DRLs, electrically folding mirrors, and the start/stop button are NOT going to save your life when you have an accident.

Lizardking, going off the topic, but that is a very harsh word to use for Maruti Suzuki. It is not mandatory for people to buy their products, its an open market with vast number of manufacturers, pick any its your choice.

Talking about VW, I assume a Polo 1.2 Petrol would be delivering the same kind of km to a liter as a Swift Petrol. So its not that people want to go for MS only for the 'Kitna deti hai' factor.

IMO, what is shameless is certain manufacturers charging a premium for say electric mirrors while certain manufacturers sell ORVMs for a fraction of the former's cost. Case in study, VW/Honda/Skoda vs Mahindra and Maruti Suzuki. I wonder what premium quality of motors and plastic the former use that the prices go sky high.
desiaztec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 14:00   #326
Senior - BHPian

Autocar India says on the new 2015 Swift

Quote:
Exterior changes:
Front bumper is redesigned and comes with a larger air dam and silver accents for fog lamp housings.
New honeycomb front grille.
New design for alloy wheels (top trim) and wheel caps (base and mid-spec trims).
Three new paint shades to choose from, violet, red and gray.
Feature / Equipment additions:
LXi, LDi variants now come with rear adjustable headrests and a 60:40 split for the rear seat.
The newly added Swift LXi+ trim gets front power windows and remote locking.
The VXi, VDi get an audio player, electrically-foldable wing mirrors and ABS (VDi only).
The top-end ZXi, ZDi trims get new additions like remote locking with push button start, Bluetooth for the audio player and rear parking sensors.

Changes on the New Swift Vis-à-vis the old
link: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...kh-391271.aspx

Attached Thumbnails
2014 Suzuki Swift Facelift Revealed-price.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 29th October 2014 at 14:05.
Old 29th October 2014, 14:09   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Z variant is not overpriced IMO. Liva is value for money but with below standard interior quality. Bolt seems promising and I hope it will be priced less than the competition with at par interior quality.
I agree about the Liva's interior quality, but Swift does not come on top either. Hyundai's vehicles have noticeably better quality of interiors. Swift's interior looks good(mainly due to all black tone IMO), but I think it's slightly dated after 3 years and don't think it's anywhere worth charging a premium for. About Z, I think at 7.5L/8.6L on road here, we should get more stuff. Other than the slight driver oriented nature(which is the only buying point for me and that factor is dwindling too, thanks to the mileage heads) and Maruti ASS, there is nothing in Swift that really stands out

Agree about the Bolt. The only problem for me is, I would not risk investing in a petrol engine whose reliability is unknown, when the engine shines neither in performance, nor in fuel efficiency. So I'm more interested in Diesel even though I don't need diesel for my running and I like petrols a lot more.

Quote:
MS is the most shameless car manufacturer in India when it comes to safety features.
Add Hyundai to the list too I think, they're even worse. I think they're the only ones in B2 segment, who are giving safety kit only as an option, that too in the top variant (Grand i10).
Old 29th October 2014, 15:11   #328
BHPian

I am at a little loss about the 7.5L on road price being bandied around here. We bought a ZXi in May and it turned up at the door step at 6.7L on road. Or maybe a little lesser than that. Mumbai registration. Are Bangluru taxes this loopy?!

As far as the updates go, the only useful revision is the kitting out of 60:40 splits for the rear benches. I wish they had shoved that in earlier. Should have been the simplest addition, especially given the tiny boot that the car has.

As for the parking sensor, I had one kitted out for my wife's Swift from the dealer. MGA, it was. I wonder if this factory fitted one will be any different.

For someone who drives both the Liva and the Swift, I would rate the Swift as the better car, even if you consider the value derived for the money you pay. The Liva's interiors are worse than the already plasticky Swift. The parcel tray in our Liva tore in the middle when some luggage snagged on it. Tore. Like cardboard, which is what it is made of if you ask me. Yet, the Liva is easier to pootle around in, when you scoot around the city.

MS' idea of safety is a bit of a scam. I have two Swifts from different dealers in two different cities and at both the places, the salesmen very happily admitted that airbags and ABS were limited to the Z variants given that "richer" customers were more concerned about safety. Bilge.
thedragonreborn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 15:48   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragonreborn View Post
I am at a little loss about the 7.5L on road price being bandied around here. We bought a ZXi in May and it turned up at the door step at 6.7L on road. Or maybe a little lesser than that. Mumbai registration. Are Bangluru taxes this loopy?!
Yes. the pre-facelift ZXI costed 7.14L. With the revision of 24K, it comes to around 7.38 + increased tax. It's around 7.4L OTR. (I mentioned it wrong in my previous post as 7.5L. Had mentioned it correctly in the post before that)

I agree that the Swift is a better car, esp. as far as top variants are concerned. I said Liva was VFM only wrt base variants JD/GD which get ABS/airbags as standard. Anyway, thanks for the comparo. It helped
Old 29th October 2014, 16:12   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Autocar India says on the new 2015 Swift
I would say VDI is the most VFM of the face lifted Swift. Why? Because the extra Rs21000/- you pay over the old VDI will get you ABS with EBD and brake Assist which is standard on all new VDIs. No other version will get this much extra kit apart from the usual face lift features.

Edit: Add the stereo with 4 speakers too, this was not available in the older VDI. You are getting more for Rs21000/- premium over the old VDI. Totally VFM.

Last edited by Sankar : 29th October 2014 at 16:19.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks