Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2013, 15:28   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Motors announces Horizonext with 8 simultaneous facelift launches

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
As per the Tata website (http://offers.cars.tatamotors.com/), Manza has a total benefit of Rs 1.41 lakhs. Not sure about the details though.
Ah! Ok, the advert in the newspaper did not display Manza so that's why I was surprised since it does not sell that well unlike perhaps the Vista. The icing on the cake is the chance to win 1kg gold.

Last edited by motomaverick : 7th October 2013 at 15:30.
Old 7th October 2013, 15:52   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Ah! Ok, the advert in the newspaper did not display Manza so that's why I was surprised since it does not sell that well unlike perhaps the Vista. The icing on the cake is the chance to win 1kg gold.
The Storme too has an impressive discount(probably has exchange bonus included as well)
Took a recent ride in a Manza and was really impressed at the comfort levels in the back seat..
The problem I figure is the niggles which appear in the car after an year of use. The perception that Tata vehicles are taxis also doesn't help.
Old 7th October 2013, 16:05   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlvl View Post
The Storme too has an impressive discount(probably has exchange bonus included as well)
Took a recent ride in a Manza and was really impressed at the comfort levels in the back seat..
The problem I figure is the niggles which appear in the car after an year of use. The perception that Tata vehicles are taxis also doesn't help.
Well yes, perception is always there but frankly I never had nor have any niggles with my Manza. In fact there is not a single new rattle after the recent Ladakh trip. What makes a sound is the component speakers which might have become lose. So yeah, 1.23L on the Storme is certainly good. You can buy a Lx 4x2 version for 11.5 lakhs now.
Old 7th October 2013, 16:10   #109
BHPian

Re: Tata Indica in worst cars built in last 25 years list

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
Don't go by Top Gear's reviews
Ya... they had insulted the S Class too!

Quote:
For the cost, the Indica is a fantastic platform, which is evident from the taxi / fleet numbers visible even today. TATA builds cars for the masses at affordable prices, what is known as "value" products.
You have owned the indica/go and the aria. Were all of them troublefree to own and maintain?
Old 7th October 2013, 21:21   #110
BANNED

Re: Tata Indica in worst cars built in last 25 years list

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post
Ya... they had insulted the S Class too!

You have owned the indica/go and the aria. Were all of them troublefree to own and maintain?
Used the Indica for about 10 years and 1.3L kms, though not driven the whole life. Except a few issues now and then, it was trouble free.

The Indigo is presently with my in-laws, had one failure of left front power window assy and one failed water pump, both replaced under warranty. Other than these, no issues. It is about 3 years now, with about 35k kms on the clock and going strong.

The ARIA is a stupendous vehicle. Exchanged the Indica for it, got a god bargain as well, 9.76 on road, Gurgaon. Nil issues on it so far, 19600 kms, 15 months and going strong.

And to add here, my wife owns a Nano LX, which has seen three years, almost 18K kms. The clutch engagement distance is very short, needs getting used to. The headlight connectors get loose, needs to be addressed by TATA. The older bonnet design had problems of rusting, has been replaced with the new design one under warranty.

I can say, YES, all are trouble free to own and maintain.
lifebuoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2013, 09:22   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An all new suspension called "Duo Float" with dual mounting is a part of the package to give the occupants an excellent ride quality.
I just noticed this now. It this just marketing speak for a minor tweak, or is there some change in the suspension, and does it feel any better.
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2013, 13:03   #112
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I just noticed this now. It this just marketing speak for a minor tweak, or is there some change in the suspension, and does it feel any better.
I don't think it's a minor tweak, because it's available only on the CR4 LX version. The CR4 LS and IDI NA BS3 versions (the Xeta has been retired) do NOT have this, according to their website.

So, I think it may be a genuine improvement. It may have lessened the nasty rear suspension noise on the Indica (which makes the ride quality SOUND worse than it actually IS), or even made the ride quality somewhat better. Of course, only those who have driven it can know the difference.

But why did they limit this to the CR4 LX only, and not all versions?

Edit: I just noticed this on the tech specs page, the IDI NA BS3 is rated at just 48.9 PS, which is down from the earlier 54 PS. Even the Hindustan Ambassador's diesel engine puts out 50 PS in BS4 guise, though the BS3 version is still rated at 36 PS.

Last edited by RSR : 12th October 2013 at 13:20.
Old 13th October 2013, 10:36   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Greenhorn, it's not just another ad-word. It's a "real" change! So much so that we finally let go of our 12.5yr old Indica for an eCS VX. The ride quality over no roads has vastly improved, with no sudden thuds being felt to the rear seat occupants. Guessing here that they have taken cues from the Aria/Storme's suspension setup. The additional linkages can be clearly seen underneath the rear suspension (haven't checked the front end, though).
As for the CR4 engine, with 4 adults, it takes < 1,500rpm to cruise comfortably, with no coasting involved.

PS: Though I'm still dizzy, trying to sum up the benefits of Rs.54,000/- on print, it includes a 3 year insurance premium payment holiday by paying Rs.18,000/- upfront. Any claims made in the 3 year span, and the owner should pay the NCB deficit back to TM in the subsequent year's premium payment. In any case, it's a great deal, though.
dkamath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2013, 21:42   #114
mgh
BHPian

2012 model Nanos (not sure about older ones) can have glove compartments fitted by the dealers, one with lock, one without lock.

I have just bought a Nano CX 2012 for a family member.
The main accesories I opted for from the dealer, were remote central locking, Blaupunkt music system with two speakers, two glove compartments (the one in front of the driver can be locked). I have asked for front fog lamps to be installed, which have been ordered.

Went for the 2012 model as a decent discount was being offered, along with three years insurance and an AMC for 4 years or 20000 kms. As the car is going to be used
sparingly, for four years it should be hassle free.
Old 14th October 2013, 20:10   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Hi Greenhorn, it's not just another ad-word. It's a "real" change! So much so that we finally let go of our 12.5yr old Indica for an eCS VX. The ride quality over no roads has vastly improved, with no sudden thuds being felt to the rear seat occupants. Guessing here that they have taken cues from the Aria/Storme's suspension setup. The additional linkages can be clearly seen underneath the rear suspension (haven't checked the front end, though).
As for the CR4 engine, with 4 adults, it takes < 1,500rpm to cruise comfortably, with no coasting involved.
You owe us a proper review.
Your own thread, or at least a post here on the experience!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...reviews-2.html

Last edited by greenhorn : 14th October 2013 at 20:11.
Old 20th October 2013, 15:31   #116
BHPian

Quote:
You owe us a proper review.
Amen! Just finished writing down my thoughts on the car, hoping you find it useful (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3270669)

Regards
dkamath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 10:37   #117
Senior - BHPian

Team-BHP Scoop: Tata Indigo eCS CNG in showrooms this November

Link to News Section

Tata Motors launched a refreshed Indigo eCS earlier this year, at the HORIZONEXT strategy unveil event held at the Indian car and utility vehicle maker's factory in Pimpri, off Pune. While petrol and diesel powered variants of the Indigo eCS were launched at the event, Tata Motors did announce plans of outfitting the car with a CNG kit. Dubbed the eMAX series, the Nano, Indica and Indigo eCS were the three cars that were to be outfitted with CNG kits. While the Nano CNG has already been launched, Tata Motors is all set to launch the Indigo eCS CNG in the coming weeks.

Tata Motors announces Horizonext with 8 simultaneous facelift launches-2013-tata-indigo-ecs-cng-1.jpg

Team-BHP's sources reveal that the Indigo eCS CNG variant will be in Tata showrooms by the middle of November, to capitalize on the festive season demand. Also, bookings for the CNG powered Indigo eCS are likely to be opened in the next few days. The Indigo eCS CNG will be positioned under the car's diesel engined variant, as a car that costs significantly lesser to run than both petrol and diesel engined models. Cab fleets and sedan buyers looking for a cost effective city commuter are the target segments of the Indigo eCS CNG variant.

Tata Motors announces Horizonext with 8 simultaneous facelift launches-2013-tata-indigo-ecs-cng-2.jpg

The 1.2 liter petrol engine, also known as the XETA unit, has been suitably modified to run on CNG. The CNG tank with a 10 Kg capacity will be positioned in the boot of the car and this means that quite a bit of boot space will be compromised. The engine, which produces 65 PS-100 Nm in petrol guise, will output 56 PS-90 Nm while operating on CNG. Tata Motors claims a mileage figure of 24 Km/Kg of CNG. The 42 liter petrol tank will be retained as it is, making the Indigo eCS CNG a dual fuel car. Switching between CNG and petrol modes will involve a dashboard mounted switch.

Tata Motors announces Horizonext with 8 simultaneous facelift launches-2013-tata-indica-ev2-cng-1.jpg

The Indica eV2's CNG variant is also likely to be launched soon as the car shares its engine and transmission with the Indigo eCS CNG. The CNG tank capacity of the Indica CNG will be same as that of the Indigo eCS CNG model. On CNG mode, both cars are projected to deliver a range of 230 Kms before needing a CNG refuel/shifting to petrol mode. Sales of the CNG powered Indica and Indigo eCS variants will be limited to those locations of India where CNG refueling stations are widely distributed. The Nano CNG is available in Delhi, Mumbai, Lucknow, and parts of Andhra Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh. A similar approach will be adopted for CNG variants of both the Indica and Indigo.

Tata Motors announces Horizonext with 8 simultaneous facelift launches-2013-tata-indica-ev2-cng-2.jpg

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 25th October 2013 at 10:39. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 11:37   #118
BHPian

I really don't understand how difficult it would have been for Tata to provide LPG variants in cities like Bangalore and rest of India where the CNG fuel is not available. If Nano with LPG would be made available, I would immediately buy it over the long overdue Nano diesel simply for the reason that CNG option is not available in Bangalore :(
Old 28th October 2013, 01:16   #119
Senior - BHPian

Here's an interview of Tata Motors' MD, Mr. Karl Slym, by Hormazd Sorabjee that was broadcast on Bloomberg TV.

http://www.yourmoneysite.com/videos/...with-karl-slym

Key points made during the interactions are,

- New products on the existing platforms to come in the next year followed by new products on new platforms.
- New (petrol) engines are being developed in house in association with JLR and will be launched in the next 12 months.

Hormazd mentioned about something called AJ200. Does anyone know what is this? From the context it appears to be a codename for a new powertrain project.

Last edited by safari_lover : 28th October 2013 at 01:21.
Old 28th October 2013, 01:23   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Hormazd mentioned about something called AJ200. Does anyone knows what is this? From the context it appears to be a codename for a new powertrain project.
AJ generally prefixes the engines that go into Jaguar cars, though the nomenclature scheme is not clear to me. Eg : Jaguar V6 engines are called AJV6. Somewhere I read that they are looking at turbocharging the old 1.2 XETA petrol engine to around 80 BHP. If that is true, its hardly going to do them any good. The K12 engine from Maruti spiritedly pushes 82 bhp without any turbo!

Most Viewed