Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2013, 14:35   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Motors announces Horizonext with 8 simultaneous facelift launches

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
Have you ever seen the sticker price on the Tupperware bottles friend ? At that price point, you must look at the Fortuner upwards, not at the Sumo.
Sticker price of tupperware bottles? Oh yeah, I know as I use them only. Their ECO series which is priced upwards of 350 each. But, my point was not that. My point was with respect to the standardization of the product. It is a masses product; those who buy it, buy it for its quality and durability. Similarly, each bottle is the same; likewise, each Sumo should have the same quality plastic materials and not like it's been hand cut with rough edges.

If this analogy doesnt work, please look at the interiors of Xylo, it is definitely 1 or 2 levels above than Grande. And Ertiga/Stile are leagues ahead in terms of build and fit and finish.
Old 30th December 2013, 15:23   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Sticker price of tupperware bottles? Oh yeah, I know as I use them only. Their ECO series which is priced upwards of 350 each. But, my point was not that. My point was with respect to the standardization of the product. It is a masses product; those who buy it, buy it for its quality and durability. Similarly, each bottle is the same; likewise, each Sumo should have the same quality plastic materials and not like it's been hand cut with rough edges.

If this analogy doesnt work, please look at the interiors of Xylo, it is definitely 1 or 2 levels above than Grande. And Ertiga/Stile are leagues ahead in terms of build and fit and finish.
Everything boils down to the same logic - you get what you pay for.

Just like Tupperware, you would also find food grade plastic containers in supermarkets which cost around Rs. 200. Even among those, each piece is supposed to be same and looks more or less the same but a closer inspection would reveal small differences, though it wouldn't really impact the functionality - food storage. There are a lot of people who would buy these instead of the microwave ready Tupperware since they wouldn't have a microwave at home and don't see any reason to spend almost double the price for a 'feature' they don't care about.

I guess Sumo should be compared to those containers instead of the Tupperware.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 15:27   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I guess Sumo should be compared to those containers instead of the Tupperware.
Agree with you; but what I find it funny is that even these containers would beat TATA hollow on ergonomics and durability. I may sound like I am exaggerating but having used a TATA product in the Nano, I can safely say so. I am not saying it is bad, it is raw or crude.
Old 2nd January 2014, 09:30   #169
BANNED

Quote:
My point was with respect to the standardization of the product. It is a masses product; those who buy it, buy it for its quality and durability.
Please compare the product that each manufacturer builds for the masses, ie, the Bolero (poor quality plastics) and not the vehicles suggested. Similarly, Tupperware is not a product for the masses, it is a premuim product. You may compare tupperware to the ARIA and you will be surprised with the results !
Quote:
Agree with you; but what I find it funny is that even these containers would beat TATA hollow on ergonomics and durability. I may sound like I am exaggerating but having used a TATA product in the Nano, I can safely say so. I am not saying it is bad, it is raw or crude.
Again, as zen ten has said rightly, you get what you paid for. For that matter, please have a look at the plastics of the Etios or the Liva and compare them with the Manza or the Vista and you will know what all this gibberish of Q class means.

I own a Nano for the last three years and the plastics may not look and be expensive, but their functionality and durability is proven (in Delhi weather, with both extremes of heat and cold). As I have said, to know what raw and crude mean, please get inside the Bolero.
lifebuoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 10:09   #170
Senior - BHPian

Today's ET reports that Tata Motors will unveil at least five global launches, which includes the Dolphin range.

Quote:
Tata Motors is likely to launch at least five global vehicles and introduce a totally new range of hatchbacks and sedans coded under its Falcon and Dolphin range that will replace its ageing Indica and Indigo fleet.
It'd be interesting to see if Tata indeed unveils the Dolphin range. My hunch - they may just show us the concept cars for this range.

source - http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/28567825.cms

Last edited by safari_lover : 9th January 2014 at 10:15.
Old 9th January 2014, 23:00   #171
Senior - BHPian

Just got the below tweet from ACI

#Exclusive : New #Tata turbo #petrol engine for #AutoExpo2014 http://ow.ly/sqvW7 #AETMS

Says 1.2-litre petrol turbo but good for only 80 bhp? then why do they need to turbocharge it?
Old 9th January 2014, 23:17   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Just got the below tweet from ACI ...Says 1.2-litre petrol turbo but good for only 80 bhp? then why do they need to turbocharge it?
Maybe so as to extract better mileage. We all know petrol and diesel price is actually he widest as of now, so its necessary we get better mileage than a regular Naturally Aspirated engine.

Fiat T-Jet too is a turbocharged Petrol and AFAIK the T-Jet delivers better milage when you rev the engine within the turbo band.

What I'd like to know however, is if the turbocharger in Falcon is oil cooled OR is it water cooled like the T-Jet?

Edit : Just read the link content. Same reason : 'Fuel consumption'. Better driveability too matters as I wouldn't want the turbo-kicking in suddenly as tuned (say for example) like in Ertiga (although its diesel, but I'm talking about the way the turbo kicks in).

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 9th January 2014 at 23:29.
Old 12th January 2014, 23:21   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
Please compare the product that each manufacturer builds for the masses, ie, the Bolero (poor quality plastics) and not the vehicles suggested.
I do not know what are you arguing about actually. I thought the entire discussion was about fit and finish, and not poor quality of the plastics. And if you want to say that the Sumo has better or equivalent plastic finish as the Bolero, you really need to visit the Mahindra showroom my friend.
Old 13th January 2014, 17:12   #174
BHPian

Recently came across MOTOROIDS update on my FB :

Tata Movus

Tata Sumo Grande facelift to be called Movus
Spotted - Motoroids.com - http://www.motoroids.com/news/tata-s...movus-spotted/

One thing is for sure, A lot is happening on the facelifts front in TML.
Personally i feel that none of them is likely to create any fortune changes in short terms.
If TML has given Tata Movus the same platform as in Storme/ ARIA and if priced in the range of 8-9Ls can be
a good VFM offering.

How at that price range it an be so superior to Bolero and surely can take few sales numbers away from it.
This would be a much much needed consolation for TML.

Last edited by madhu33 : 13th January 2014 at 17:23.
Old 14th January 2014, 19:53   #175
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
More than the cars, its the perception that Tata should strive to change. They should just stop selling Indicas to the public and restrict it to a taxi. They could sell it in their commercial vehicle division and that will change the perception of the customer who is walking in to the showroom. Tata cannot continue to sell decade old products like the indica, sumo and expect the customer to perceive them differently.
But to be honest, I really have no hopes of a great Tata revival. They have lost it and its too late now. The new safari looks like the old one, Manza CS seems to be coming forever, no replacement for the 17 year old Sumo and finally the nano which even with a diesel will not make sense.
Would you advise the same to Toyota whose primary sales of the Innova, Etios & the Liva are from taxi-wallahs ? Do they have a commercial division for the sales of these cars ? Have you walked into a Toyota showroom and seen the list of today's "proud" owners displayed there ? If not, take a look and you will know what a personal car alone or taxi alone segment mean as you suggest.

Toyota sold an outdated Qualis to lay the financial foundation of their works in India. We Indians lapped up the bread box willingly. Do you know its vintage, friend ? The same engine in CRDi avtar powers the Innova today. Ditto for the Sumo. So where's the problem ?

Have you seen the new Innova upgrade ? Can you compare it with the Safari to Storme upgrade ?

I see no point in introducing new models and phasing them out in a couple of years to keep the cash registers ringing. In a market like ours, what is needed is a robust and well engineered product that does not cost a bomb and can be maintained reliably within the country. In short, be Indian, buy Indian.
lifebuoy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 19:57   #176
BHPian

HorizonNext?

It still depends on employees. Not much is changed.

When I visited the service center after few months, I was pleasantly surprised to see the makeover, it looks upmarket. My regular service advisor was as usual responsive.

But, yesterday I gave the car for a service to be delivered today. My regular SA was on leave today. Inspite of multiple follow up with CRM, the assigned SA did not get time to call me for entire morning, spoke to me in the afternoon with partial idea on what needs to be done, promising to get all details and call back within 5 minutes, which never happened. A follow up resulted in the same response of 5 minutes, after which he never picked up my calls. This is the way they treat you considering my car was a safari. On the contrary, Maruti service treats with utmost professionalism even though my car is not a premium car there.

My regular SA, though is very very responsive and treats me really well. But again, quality of service should not be specific to employees.

Also, they have installed coffee vending machines, but there are ants roaming inside the sugar container.

Last edited by sumannandy : 14th January 2014 at 20:00.
sumannandy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 12:53   #177
Senior - BHPian

IAB is speculating that Tata Motors could unveil the new petrol engine on 20th of this month at Mumbai. Link to their report:

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/01/t...january-113331
Old 17th January 2014, 13:55   #178
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors has a new website focused on the AutoExpo 2014. They have count-down set up and will be streaming from their pavilion at the expo. This is what they have to say about the expo.

Quote:
At the Auto Expo 2014, Tata Motors will showcase an extensive range of exciting and stunning Vehicles and Concepts. These new hi-tech range represent the new Tata Motors, with focus on Design, Performance and Connectivity, keeping customers central in its product planning and development. Tata Motors is equally focused on environment-friendly technologies in emissions and alternative fuels and so you will see a stunning range of alternate fuel technologies on display, as well.
Link - http://connect.tatamotors.com/

Last edited by safari_lover : 17th January 2014 at 13:57.
Old 17th January 2014, 14:20   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

@SafariLover, thanks for the link

Someone there doesnt know what's a "Sneak-Peek".
Old 17th January 2014, 15:26   #180
BHPian

@SafariLover Thanks for the link.

From the sneak peak only thing i infer is that they are showcasing 7 products,

i have a strong feeling the 7 products would be,
1) New Turbo Petrol Engine
2) Refreshed Vista Tech
3) Refreshed Manza Tech
4) Refreshed Indica / Indigo CS
5) Refreshed Granda akka TATA Movus
6) Falcon 4 - Concepts
7) Falcon 5 - Concepts

As the Nano twist is already launched it would also be showcased, with Storme, Sumo Gold, Xeon etc.

Most Viewed