Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2013, 21:47   #91
BHPian

Re: Your *unconventional* Automotive Preferences

My quirky (or not) list:

Engine sound: makes my pulse go higher and also gives u a direct feel! no matter whether its a petrol or diesel. should just talk with me

Dashboard: Simple and uncluttered. As Simple as that!

Non ICE: I just hate listening to the audio system which the company (manufacturer) has forced me to hear. To hell with the voiding of the electrical warranty (ford in my case)

Tires: Want them to look good along with good grip. a must!

Brakes: Should have that bite.

Steering feel & gear shift: Communication and smoothness is important for me. enuf said!

Wipers: Call me mad, but I want the wipers to deliver a very very very (very) clean wipe.

I want the car to be accessories and modification friendly. You don get that feel to modify a figo like you do for a swift. That simplicity to modify without any burden.

Solid build: My most important criteria. At the end of the day i must be sure that no matter what happens my family ends up safe in home.
Old 25th June 2013, 22:18   #92
BHPian

Lumbar Support :- To me this is a boon on long drives, keeps your posture correct and reduces fatigue/pain caused by slouching

Memory Seat Adjustment :- I would love to have this in my next car, as I hate to move back and forth, up& down to get to my preferred position, once I get my car back from Service station et al.

Steering :- Hydraulic and hydraulic only, though now i think we don't have much options

Dead Pedal and center arm rest :- Must have features on a long drive

Engine :- In diesel, I love engines with turbo lag for the "take off" experience . In petrol just love Honda engines and Suzuki K- series

Auto gear :- Though I have not driven one yet, I think its not for me.
Old 25th June 2013, 22:40   #93
BHPian

People find skoda's PD engines to be noisy and unrefined. But I love the engine sound of my Fabia 1.4TDI. I think it sounds like a mini V8! :P (except during idle)
And I would be happier with manual wipers and headlights on my car instead of automatic ones.
Old 26th June 2013, 01:59   #94
BHPian

My two cents !

First Impression: Not exactly a feature, but this one makes you love the machine. The very first time you saw it, had the first cockpit view, and most importantly First gear -> release pedal -> start acceleration. This one tops the charts.

Head turner : Neighbor's envy, owner's pride !

Electric OVRM : Could be helpful even though not used frequently. Helps when you are entering a narrow street and you see another vehicle trying to squeeze thru. Plus during rains, no need to lower down the windows and reach out. But, blinkers on OVRM: No. it just adds a cosmetic aspect (IMHO), and adds to the overall maintenance as well.

Brand : Definitely. This gives peace of mind.

Upholstery: Should make one feel the elegance.

Music System : Hell, there is no life without music. A good sounding music system to play the favorite tracks. And NO, not the ones who/which end up doing social service by making everyone on the road listen to *their* tracks.

ABS/EBD : Does this need any elaboration?

Space : Enough leg room even if there are six footers seating in the front/rear. Head room inclusive.

DRL : Never. I find them good only on the luxury cars as I feel the designers of that segment did spend maybe 0.01% of the total design time thinking whether this would make the car be efficient both in terms of usability as well as looks.

Revv happy engine: Certainly when the RPM figures are low as well.
Old 26th June 2013, 14:20   #95
BHPian

These are mine.

1. Steering height adjustment - I'm not a tall person, and without this feature, I end up looking out through the steering wheel. Makes you look more than a little ridiculous.

2. Keyless entry & push start - Grab my bag and go, without all the fishing around for the keys!

3. Dark upholstery - I dislike beige all over the insides of a car. I prefer my cars black, inside and out.

4. Airbags - The more, the better!

5. Driver's seat that slides back automatically when the engine's turned off. Since I like the steering wheel low, it makes it a little hard to get in and out of the car. I rented a Ford Explorer that had this feature, and it was awesome!
Old 26th June 2013, 23:06   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ask any enthusiast what he / she likes in a car, and the answers will be predictable. A sweet engine, slick gearbox, sure-footed handling, well-weighted steering etc. A layman would tell you that he values fuel economy, brand value, cost of ownership, image & styling, among others.

However, I'm certain all of us have a list of automotive preferences that go against the tide. Here's mine:

Clean, proportionate designs: I'm the kind of a guy who won't give a second look to the W221 Merc S-Class, but will take a u-turn and follow a W126 / W140 home. The market loves swoopy, futuristic styling. I happen to love them straight & clean. Think Vento over fluidic Verna. You could say that I have old-fashioned tastes.

Excessive rear legroom: The more the legroom, the better. Or so it seems for the aam junta. While I like my car to have adequate space, I absolutely detest super-long cars. The last time I drove a Skoda Superb, I felt like a damn chauffeur!! Irrespective of the money on hand, I'd pick a Jetta / Laura over the Superb, and a 5 Series over the 7. Any which day.

SUVs: The country's appetite for SUVs remains insatiable, and you'd think Indians can't have enough of them. Sorry, but I prefer equivalently priced sedans that are generally faster, better handlers, fun to drive and offer more bang for the buck. Related Thread.

Service Quality: As long as a car is super reliable, I'm okay with acceptable levels of service quality. I'd rather pick a reliable car with mediocre service backup (e.g. Honda) than sub-par reliability with outstanding service (e.g. Mercedes). Durable cars only require rare garage visits for the simple stuff (oil changes, filters). And after the car's warranty expires, I have dependable after-market sources to take care of the maintenance. Ordinary levels of service quality are rarely a deal breaker for me (evidenced by my choice of cars).

Petrol engines: The market has majorly tilted in favour of oil-burners. Not me, I'll still buy a Laura TSI over the TDI, Linea T-Jet over the 1.3L MJD and Fiesta 1.6 over the 1.4L TDCi. I like my motors super-refined, high-rpm friendly and with plentiful engine braking on tap. Did you know that petrol is cheaper than diesel in Goa? Yet another reason to consider moving there

Parking Sensors: Never used them, not even in the long wheelbase 7 Series. I prefer parking cars the old school way.

Climate Control: Sure, I appreciate the convenience of specifying a certain temperature and letting the electronics maintain that. Equally, I do think climate control is a highly over-rated feature. Give me a powerful air-conditioning system and I'm happy with the manual blower + temperature controls.

Low-Slung Cars: I absolutely relish a low-slung driving position. The masses, on the other hand, like it high & practical.

CD Players: Haven't used a CD in over 5 years now. Most manufacturers continue to offer CD players, else customers are put off.

Thin Tyres: While I love my cars to have fat, grippy tyres, sometimes, I actually enjoy a slippery automobile with thin OEM rubbish. Ghat drives in the Alto K10 & ol' Honda City Vtec come to mind. A li'l bit of sliding can be fun when you're in the mood.

Fuel economy: Marketing consultants will tell you this : If your car isn't fuel-efficient, it's better you pack your bags and go home. To me, fuel economy isn't important. Driving pleasure is.

Temperature Gauge: Related Thread. Enough said.

Engine Sound: The quieter the engine, the better it's considered to be. Not the case with me when it comes to petrols. I like them loud (as long as they sound nice). Of course, with diesels, I'd rather have them silent.

Safety: If I were to put a number to it, I'd guess that less than 1% of Indian car buyers give any weightage to safety in their purchase decision. If a car doesn't offer 5 star safety, I won't buy it. It's that simple.
I agree with most of your points.
If you relate my k10 to your points, it matches somewhat, considering the segment.
Looks: Prefer the k10 over the A star/Eon/Spark in this department.

Rear Space: It's an Alto, so no description. Didn't need space as only two or three would travel mostly.

Low slung: Rejected the tall boys for this reason (Read: Wagon R, Estilo, i10 and Santro)

Service: Was almost ready for the Spark for this reason because the Spark is a very reliable machine.

Engine Sound: Although the three cylinder engine is thrummy, I'm in love with the Hollywood movie type engine sound when the engine is revved. (Athough my Mom always compares it with my Uncle's Santro)
And I would anyday prefer a Fiesta over a Safari/Scorpio/XUV.
Old 26th June 2013, 23:27   #97
BHPian

Adding to my earlier post :

1. Everyone likes cars that stand out. I like mine subdued, non-flashy. Why ? Less attention from vandals.

2. Everyone likes unique or differentiated models. I prefer commonality. Why ? Mass manufacture of common parts mean longer and larger production runs, meaning more economy of scale, easier availability of parts and cheaper prices. Once you realize how the rare/low selling cars/bikes have difficulty getting parts for and the price-gouging or the trouble of importing parts from abroad, you'll appreciate this. At least those without deep pockets and loads of patience to hunt for parts.

3. I hate stop/start buttons. Don't know why, I just find them tacky.

4. Colors - I like silver and varying shades of grey, especially some of the darker metallic ones like Honda's urban titanium , Chevy's sand-drift grey and VW's pepper grey. Helps that they're easier to maintain and hide scratches better.

5. Tachometer - I just got to have one.

6. No particular body style preference, though sedans are more practical due to boot space, but I also love estates. Loved the Baleno Altura, and BMW/Mercedes 'combis' !

7. I hate cute styling. Cars like the Beetle , Micra. Other than that , curvy or angular is both fine. I like the angular Polo and the curvy Punto. I like the angular Lamborghini Countach/Diablo/Aventador , and the curvy Ferrari 550/575 Maranello too. I like the angular Honda City current gen, but also the curvy Linea !

I didn't dislike the Rodius, but the Fiat Multipla , aarrgh!

8. I like high revving motors, that precludes diesel. A Honda S2000 motor in a Civic would be great ! Although in real life to satiate my pocket, I'll go for diesel next, unless I win a huge jackpot/lottery.

9. I hate the aftermarket bling/jazz shows , like phat tyres, snazzy oversize wheels, and bright paint and sticker jobs as if the car was a NASCAR entry. I don't mind bright colors on certain cars though - like yellow Ferraris or Lamborghinis, they can carry it well, if I ever buy one, I'll still pick something less flashy.
Old 27th June 2013, 05:20   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Adding to my earlier post :

1. Everyone likes cars that stand out. I like mine subdued, non-flashy. Why ? Less attention from vandals.

2. Everyone likes unique or differentiated models. I prefer commonality. Why ? Mass manufacture of common parts mean longer and larger production runs, meaning more economy of scale, easier availability of parts and cheaper prices. Once you realize how the rare/low selling cars/bikes have difficulty getting parts for and the price-gouging or the trouble of importing parts from abroad, you'll appreciate this. At least those without deep pockets and loads of patience to hunt for parts.

3. I hate stop/start buttons. Don't know why, I just find them tacky.

4. Colors - I like silver and varying shades of grey, especially some of the darker metallic ones like Honda's urban titanium , Chevy's sand-drift grey and VW's pepper grey. Helps that they're easier to maintain and hide scratches better.

5. Tachometer - I just got to have one.

6. No particular body style preference, though sedans are more practical due to boot space, but I also love estates. Loved the Baleno Altura, and BMW/Mercedes 'combis' !

7. I hate cute styling. Cars like the Beetle , Micra. Other than that , curvy or angular is both fine. I like the angular Polo and the curvy Punto. I like the angular Lamborghini Countach/Diablo/Aventador , and the curvy Ferrari 550/575 Maranello too. I like the angular Honda City current gen, but also the curvy Linea !

I didn't dislike the Rodius, but the Fiat Multipla , aarrgh!

8. I like high revving motors, that precludes diesel. A Honda S2000 motor in a Civic would be great ! Although in real life to satiate my pocket, I'll go for diesel next, unless I win a huge jackpot/lottery.

9. I hate the aftermarket bling/jazz shows , like phat tyres, snazzy oversize wheels, and bright paint and sticker jobs as if the car was a NASCAR entry. I don't mind bright colors on certain cars though - like yellow Ferraris or Lamborghinis, they can carry it well, if I ever buy one, I'll still pick something less flashy.
I agree with so much of what you say, Ricci. You may just find that a modern turbo-diesel is perfectly suited to high-density traffic conditions, though, with both rapid acceleration and good economy. Their narrow rev range and uncouth sound is soon forgotten, in reality.

If you don't think you can live with the narrow rev range, then look out for an old six cylinder Mercedes diesel. I think they are hard to come by in India, but are worth finding since they're almost ever-lasting (as is the rest of the W124 car) and what you lose in economy (20% worse than average) you will gain in never having to have a cambelt replaced. Their rev range is almost the equal of a petrol engine and the sound they make is fantastic as the revs build and the turbine-like power seems to be never-ending!

Old 27th June 2013, 15:36   #99
BHPian

1. The Car itself: The first and most important "unconventional" preference is 'Going against the Herd mentality'. I would never ever buy a swift or desire. I like a certain exclusivity when it comes to car, even if its a flop as per market. I hate my relatives when they challenge me not to buy a Chevrolet or Fiat over Maruti.

2. Brand: I always want to kind of support the underdog. So involuntarily I wish for a new launch from Fiat, Chevrolet or even Tata to succeed than a Toyota, Maruti or Hyundai.

3. Color: Against the common norms, I hate those psuedo Silver and boring golden colours. As taught in the primary schools, the primary colors are red, yellow and green and not gold, silver and white. However I like a black or blue.

4. Engine: It has to be petrol and the cabin has to be silent. After all Car is my second home and I like it calm and peaceful in there.

5. Looks: An unconventional feature which I want in my car is Roof rails. It can be any car.

6. Price: Always like to buy the top version of a VFM car rather than a mid version of an expensive car. For eg Figo Titanium over Polo Trendline in general
Old 27th June 2013, 16:02   #100
BHPian

Some of my thoughts:

Integrated turn indicators on ORVMs: Seems to be a trend that most new cars are nowadays gravitating to and hailed a great new feature. Also agree that this looks good on new cars. However I dont like it ORVMs are very prone to damage in crowded roads in our crowded cities (e.g. KR Puram Bridge road in Bangalore where the road narrows considerably and multiple cars/bikes/buses /lorries squeeze in, on many days one does get impact on the ORVMs).The sight of broken indicator lights/covers on ORVMs is not very pleasant.

Plasmacluster in AC: Seems like a great feature, but I am left with an ambivalent feeling. Loving it since no (bad) smells stay inside the car, but the downside is that even pleasant smells (e.g. car perfume) dont linger on.

Driving position: Been hearing lot of views on how great it is to have a low car-like driving position on SUVs/MUVs like Innova and Ertiga. Sorry I anyday prefer the high driving position of a Xylo.

Low slung cars: The world loves them. Reduces center of gravity, increases road grip, allows higher speed driving, looks swell. I hate to drive a low slung car in Bangalore. From a recent newspaper report, there are about 1681 unauthorized/unscientific speed humps in Bangalore alone, not to mention the many broken road sections.

Also wanted to provide my opinion on some of the feedback from other posts in this thread:

Electric ORVMs: Love it. Is a boon in tight pathways (for parking) when space on either side is hardly couple of inches.

Parking sensors: Absolute necessity for me considering my parking space at home. Was not an issue previously when I used to park a smaller car in that same parking space nor at office where there is 'normal' parking space available. Also thinking of getting a rear view camera (This has dependency on field of view at the back, I believe it would be needed in cars like Wagon R or Xylo where the field of view at the back for the driver while reversing is pathetic as compared to, say, an Alto; everytime I hear/read of small children being run over by reversing cars on streets, I really want to get this fitted, not yet got down to doing it)

Automatic features: Auto (anything) seems to be the rage for some time now. Some of the auto stuff are helpful (e.g. rain sensing wiper where the wiper starts and speeds up depending on intensity of rain). Not sure I need some of the others like Automatic headlamp cleaner in a sedan like my Camry, after all the car gets a wipedown cleaning everyday.
Old 28th June 2013, 07:32   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Electric ORVMs: I feel it is highly over-rated. How many times in a day do you have to do adjust the ORVM? Once, at most twice! Why waste a switch and motor on it!

Automatic headlights: I guess it is the new fad these days! How much intelligence does one need to switch on lights while entering a tunnel! or when it gets dark!

In winter here its -10 C and your hand freezes, you also have remote starter for the car, you start the car from home and keep heater on, in these situations you don't feel like touching these switches. So these features are helpful in some situations.

DRLs: Seriosuly! And I do not understand why it is sold as an exclusive feature on high-end cars (of course, these days even the premium hatch and ordinary sedans are getting DRLs as OEM).
In India there is not much of weather variation, I currently live in Rhode island usa, and the weather changes every minute. if it says mist, its gonna be severe mist, it becomes dark and rains suddenly, these climatic condition can change within an hour, DRL is very important for these conditions, you can see the intensity of the light of the opposite in these situations, and for the speeds you travel in this country, there is very less time to react. Its not a must but a safety feature.
Old 28th June 2013, 15:44   #102
BHPian

Here is my wacky list:
  1. Unique color - I simply cannot bring myself to buy a white or silver car. It has to be a unique color - more unique the better. Think green, orange, red, blue. I have sometimes ended up buying the highest end variant just because the unique color was available only in that variant. On the downside, it affects the resale value, but I dont care.
  2. Space, space, space - Not excessive legroom, but I could never buy a cramped car, even if it was more powerful or fun-to-drive, VFM or better looking. Think figo over polo, city over t-jet/fiesta, xuv over duster etc. Everyone in my family is tall and well-built, and I would like everyone to be comfortable, and not just me.
  3. Comfy seats - If I need to park my backside in a car for 3 hours everyday, or 8 hours on long drives, I need a well-sculpted and nicely cushioned seat. I detest thin, bench-like seats
  4. Bluetooth - I like to utilize the above 3 hours doing something useful other than getting frustrated at the next guy for cutting into my lane. Taking official calls and reading audiobooks has been a boon thanks to bluetooth.

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 28th June 2013 at 15:45.
Old 28th June 2013, 16:01   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
In India there is not much of weather variation, I currently live in Rhode island usa, and the weather changes every minute. if it says mist, its gonna be severe mist, it becomes dark and rains suddenly, these climatic condition can change within an hour, DRL is very important for these conditions, you can see the intensity of the light of the opposite in these situations, and for the speeds you travel in this country, there is very less time to react. Its not a must but a safety feature.
Yes, I understand and for this reason in many European countries, Govt. has made it mandatory to have the headlamps switched on all the time. The manufacturers make the car this way, and you cannot even switch off the headlamps if you want to.
Old 28th June 2013, 16:02   #104
BHPian

My preffered list of unusal features in a car:
1) Chunky A Pillar Trim: It gives a sense of solidity. I am aware that it creates a fatal obscuration to the driver's view, but
then I like it that way.
2) Full circle speedo and tacho with a MID in between: Think Polo, Laura. Non favourites includes the SX4, i10 etc. I hate the
Civic layout. But the worse will have to be the center consoles like Etios, Vista etc.
3) Sunroof: Larger the better. Though it is not a quirly feature, however considering the few cars sporting it, I have put it in
this list.
4) Big seats: They are a major turn on. I hate the ones in the i10 or the Amaze but like the ones in City or the new Swift.
5) Rear seat headrest: I love when they are adjustable and are not recessed, like the one in Vento. However the ones in Verna or
SX4, although are good, are not the better ones.
6) Black interiors with silver garnish: Like the Fiesta 1.6S (older one), or the VRS.
7) Rear Aircon vents: I love it as it gives a better circulation in peak summers, like the Vento, Safari etc etc.
8) Clean fender: I hate it when they put a badge for the top ends on the cut out meant for the indicator provided on base
versions. Like the i10 Sportz, Fiesta Classic etc.
9) Rotary knob for the headlamps: a la Skoda, VW, Fords.
10) A deep dashboard: As in the windshield should be as far as possible from the passengers. Think Civic for a deep dashboard, and Gypsy / Wagon R / Ikon / Accent for a shallow one. Pls. excuse my self made jargon.

I guess based upon all these the VRS seems like the best fit!!
Old 28th June 2013, 16:53   #105
BHPian

Engine : Petrol, noisy alright but sweet sounding. Not LOUD but with a distinctive grunt when the pedal is floored. An associated point is that I give a damn for mileage figures. As long as the car is giving a steady one its good.

AC Vents : Horizontal slits instead of vertical ones. Like the ones on old Elantra and the new i20 as compared to those on old i20 and mostly on all other cars. Somehow it itches me internally, can't bear their sight. Even the circular ones look great.

Electric ORVMs : Although not so keen on them earlier, having used them now I feel its a must have. They really come in handy when a biker or two get to close for comfort at traffic signals or in tight parking spots. The adjuster too should be a button rather than a joystick, which feels quite flimsy.

Low-slung : Yes yes for sure. Although practically challenging, the improved handling and sleeker design and looks make or break the deal for me. This reminds me of the Fiat Bravo - hope Fiat launches it India sooner than later.

Interiors : Plastic quality, feel and good aesthetics. I spend more time in the car rather than out of it. So feel the interiors should be well made, easy to use and pleasing on the eye. Too many buttons or a complicated touchscreen a strict no (read the new Fiesta). Likewise too few buttons and a bland interior like the old SWIFT make me feel sad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks