Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2013, 05:58   #91
BHPian

Re: If I could only own ONE car...

Avery tricky yet incomplete question. Well, here are my choices.

If money no bar and Im not paying for fuel and maintenance - //M5

If money no bar and Im paying for fuel and maintenance - Volvo S60 T6 with optional sport pack and big fat wheels.

I'm paying for the car and also the fuel and maintenance - POLO GT
kingofmyworld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 10:45   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
I was having this discussion with a couple of other bhpians a few days back during a meet. As per me if budget is not a restriction and the car is self driven, in the city, used for market runs, parking is also an issue and also needs to be used on the highway occasionally. I would any day go in for the newly launched Merc A Class.

Guys if you think about it practically and not which car would you dream to own or fantasize about. The A Class would check all boxes. Its perfect if self driven, auto transmission and smaller size for city driving and no parking issues, Mercedes build quality and reliability and also solidly built to be used on the highway and comes with all the safety features. Rear seats are also not as cramped as the certain less expensive hatchbacks on the roads so it will fit the rear passengers also comfortably. Lastly i think it looks hot and has the three pointed star so it will also turn heads and give your ego a good massage.

VVB
While I agree the A Class looks good and even feels good inside (at least in its current CBU state), I just felt there was no excitement driving it. It left me feeling quite emotionless which is something I could not accept if I were spending that sort of money. Also, for the price, it lacks park sensors and, with its restricted rear visibility, this is a must have feature. Lastly I felt the car was too big for practical, self driven city use. It may be the smallest Merc around, but it's certainly not a small car. It is quite wide and very long for a hatchback.
kbk_75 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 11:07   #93
Team-BHP Support

I'm very tempted to say that the R56 Mini Cooper S (hatch) would do it for me. But Bangalore roads make me think twice, so a Bowler Nemesis sounds like the right sort of automobile, given the circumstances.
Old 4th July 2013, 11:19   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I'm very tempted to say that the R56 Mini Cooper S (hatch) would do it for me. But Bangalore roads make me think twice, so a Bowler Nemesis sounds like the right sort of automobile, given the circumstances.
You didn't read the first post on the thread did you. The car has to be officially sold in India.

Go back and change to Countryman Cooper S.
Old 4th July 2013, 11:26   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
You didn't read the first post on the thread did you. The car has to be officially sold in India.

Go back and change to Countryman Cooper S.
I did.

I'd also read the rest of the posts. People have chosen Lancia Delta Integrales and Citroen DSs. I want my Bowler!

Anyway, the Countryman does not appeal to me so the R56 (hatch) Cooper S w/ regular tubeless tyres (not runcraps) should do just fine. A Firefox for the office runs and the Mini for the weekends, and I'm a happy camper.
Old 4th July 2013, 11:29   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
I agree with you on all of them. It surely looks marvelous inside and outside and it is a head-turner too. But, what about the engine power and the basic reverse camera mate? In terms of power, it is least in the competition. 108 BHP on a diesel and 122 BHP on a petrol for a 30 lac car?

I've had a TD of both petrol and diesel, and I felt my Verna Fluidic in diesel and my Civic AT in petrol can beat both of those respective variants.

Being an auto enthusiast, that's the only part I was completely disappointed with A class. End of the day, we need a vehicle that is fun to drive right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
While I agree the A Class looks good and even feels good inside (at least in its current CBU state), I just felt there was no excitement driving it. It left me feeling quite emotionless which is something I could not accept if I were spending that sort of money. Also, for the price, it lacks park sensors and, with its restricted rear visibility, this is a must have feature. Lastly I felt the car was too big for practical, self driven city use. It may be the smallest Merc around, but it's certainly not a small car. It is quite wide and very long for a hatchback.
Agree completely with the both of you.

However as i mentioned if we are talking about practicality and not our fantasies then A Class serves the purpose. Being a hatch it is bigger than most hatches around but it is still smaller in size than a regular D segment sedan (correct me if i am wrong). If the main criteria here is self driven in the city with traffic and parking issues, etc then size wise its perfect. From the inside too its comfortable to seat 4 adults. It also gives you the snob value that comes with a Merc and looks smashing. For the occasional highway run although comfortable, sturdy and reliable but i would definitely get bored driving it as i agree it lacks power. For the city use though the 108 and 122 bhp engines would serve the purpose well.

As is said i am thinking practically, if i were to talk about which car i dream of owning with an unlimited budget without any other usage criteria well i would never be able to freeze on any one out of my long list.

VVB
Old 4th July 2013, 12:29   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Difficult choice to make. I must say I am extremely please with my 2002 Jaguar XJR. Bought it of Ebay in the USA in 2009, drove it as my daily car for three years and then brought it back into my home country the Netherlands where it is now in storage, waiting for me to return.

Love the shape, the colour, the old "classic" Jaguar interior, J-gate and plenty wood and leather. And it goes like stink too, supercharged V-8.

The one other car I would consider if it was to be only own car would be a Ranger Rover Sport. Not the current/latest generation, probably one or two earlier generations. The new models are still very very nice, but are getting a little bit to polished for my taste.

The Jaguar is absolutely great, but the Range Rover comes very close and is somewhat more practical.

Oh well, dream on, its not going to happen here in India for me anyway. I'll stick to my trusted Classic 1975 Royal Enfield.
I will be in the Netherlands for a short holiday. "ve already made arrangement to have my XJR taken out of storage and made ready for me on the day we arrive!

Jeroen

Note from Mod : Please avoid posting links to external sites as its against the forum policy. Please post the content here if you wish to share with this community. Thanks for your understanding

Last edited by mobike008 : 4th July 2013 at 17:00.
Old 4th July 2013, 13:20   #98
Team-BHP Support

I would ideally have said Range Rover 4 but the Porsche Cayenne Diesel S would make a better case as it seems to be a more inspired drive unless I do extreme off-roading.

In reality, an X3 3.0d + spare wheel would be my choice but a Land Rover Discovery 3 might clear roads automatically with its presence
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 13:30   #99
BHPian

The recently launched Audi RS5..what a stunner!
Old 4th July 2013, 14:32   #100
BHPian

I would go for Volvo.

It is virtually maintenance-free car, built like a tank. All you need to change over the years are parts that wear - Tyres, Brake pads, wiper blades and Oil.

Newly introduced V40 is best of both worlds.
Old 4th July 2013, 19:31   #101
BHPian

With unlimited budget: Porsche Cayenne Turbo S/ Maybe Diesel S for the fuel tank range.

Something that i can afford right now: Skoda Laura vRS/Octy vRS (which i already have)

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 4th July 2013 at 19:33.
Old 4th July 2013, 19:38   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
In reality, an X3 3.0d + spare wheel would be my choice
I somehow knew this would be your choice.

I'm surprised no one else has chosen the X3.

With the 3.0L diesel motor and higher clearance and BMW dynamics, this is not only the most practical but one of the most fun to drive cars.

Yes a 530d is equally fun but you are restricted to the roads you can use it on. The X3 is a better all rounder.
Old 4th July 2013, 23:57   #103
BHPian

I would go for a Range Rover - the go anywhere car
Old 5th July 2013, 00:35   #104
BHPian

When the going gets tough, the tough get going! A Range Rover, any day

LOTHAR
Old 5th July 2013, 21:37   #105
BHPian

For me, it's Ford Mustang fitted with v8. That will fulfill my purpose for life.

Most Viewed