Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2013, 04:23   #16
BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki 'Swift RS' Limited Edition Launched

LOL! Yet another joke from maruti. I think this should be in the weird and wacky mods section.

25,000 rupees for a sticker, WHEEL CAPS, 3 plastic pieces and an art leather pieces here n there? I wonder who would fall for that.

Black wheel caps and racing inspired stickers? Seriously? It's the biggest insult to the term "RS". Suzuki considers india as a country with just mileage driven people and targets only them. This sticker, black wheel caps and art leather move is surely targeted at the "young" mileage driven college students

Suzuki would never bring the european swift sport to india because they just don't intend to target the enthusiastic groups. Name one car in suzuki's stable currently in India thats an enthusiastic car. All it makes in india are metal cabins with 4 doors, one boot and an engine that pulls it. If you want safety, add a lakh or maybe 2.

Suzuki themselves must have been shyingoff with the black wheelcaps concept. Maybe thats why they put motion blur on them

Last edited by kingofmyworld : 3rd July 2013 at 04:27.
kingofmyworld is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 07:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

When I saw the headline, the turbo charger in my system started spooling up. After I entered the link and read the highlights, turbo lag set in. This is as lame as it can get. They could have easily plonked in the 1.6l engine from the SX4 and 90hp Fiat Multijet. These are engines sitting in your own factory Suzuki, why aren't you putting them to some good use.
Old 3rd July 2013, 07:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post
  • Black Wheel Covers
Link: Read More

Ideally, Audi and Ford should drop their 'RS' branding for this one reason alone!

Very sad sight to see such crap being dished out by suzuki ; esp when Audi launched the RS5 ! Phew
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

RS, really? Why does Suzuki even bother with these special editions. No one likes them and no one buys them. And thank God that they're limited. More than glad to not see one of these monstrosities zipping down the roads.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hey Loud!

I am not able too see the picture clearly as I am posting this from my phone, but just going by your description, I am tempted to ask (and probably convey my thoughts too) that is this the best 'limited edition' Maruti has actually launched in a long time, probably after the Zen Steel and Carbon? IMO, the extra price justifies the offers in this limited edition. I will be curious to know what are the thoughts of other members on it.
Thanks,
Saket
+1. The extra price is fully justified and this is the BEST limited-ed from Maruti Suzuki since quite a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Bumping up the power with 15" shoes IMO would've been the right way to launch an RS version. Disappointed.
This way, price would also have got bumped up by ~50k. The price difference between V and Z variants of the Swift is too much, so Maruti made the right move by adding a variant between the two, for a limited period though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Swift RS with wheel covers and no ABS/Airbags!

24,500 over the VXi or VDi!? You can get these el-cheapo job done for less than 24,500Rs!
No way! You get a body kit, music system, Illuminated sill plates, different upholstery and some graphic work on the outside. I think it would eat up more than 25k at least. Yes, ABS and Airbags would have given a tough competition to the Liva GD SP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
Suzuki themselves must have been shyingoff with the black wheelcaps concept. Maybe thats why they put motion blur on them
Nice one.
Loud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Black Wheel Covers! Now, that's a new one.

MSIL, give the V variants more serious kit like below to keep it closer to competitors in the spec sheet and for recouping the numbers. Its all about giving value to the customer!
  1. ABS + EBD
  2. Driver Airbag
  3. Wider 185 cross section rubber
  4. A decent ICE unit with 4 speakers
  5. Rear Defogger

And this should be done with a very marginal increase in cost. The money can be saved on omitting the rear power windows for the Diesel, body colored door handles and fog lights for both variants. I am sure customers wouldn't mind getting these done during delivery or later.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Yet another Sticker work by Maruti. Couple of days back i heard Audi RS. So this time maruti decides to keep the name Swift RS. WOW.

They could have at least plonked the 1.4Ltr from Ertiga. That is the minimum they can do and bump the power o/p to 100BHP+
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

The extra iteneries may justify the asking price but not the RS name tag. The RS is a holy term which stands for Rally sport. And I don’t see anything that would call for such a name. And to the horror it is not available in the Zxi/Zdi trim. Which means you get a rally sport without safety features. Thank god that it is just a misnomer.
Things I would like to have seen in RS.
1. Available in Zxi/Zdi Trim.
2. 16" alloys with wider tyres
3. Stiffer suspension.
4. VGT dor Diesel, ECU upgrade for petrol which concentrates on performance rather than FE.
5. Dual exhaust with reduced muffling.
6. Along with the existing body kit.
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

But on a more serious note this could end up being really misleading and i have to agree with everyone who has commented on this being a very bad misuse of the RS sticker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
He he.... For Maruti, RS stands for Rally Stickers. It is nothing more than that.
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:50   #25
BHPian

I don't know why Maruti does it again and again. No one is going to buy this just because of the stickers and body kit, those who buy it anyway would have bought a Swift with or without the stickers, at the max it can be considered the kind of effort some dealers do to customise the cars. Not expected from the manufacturer. Maruti has a habit of doing these useless, inane special editions which in now way helps the brand apart from generating some press coverage. I don't think it impacts their brand image or bottom line either positively or negatively. It seems to be a mindless thoughtless action that maruti keeps on repeating without looking at the efficacy of it

as many have suggested it would have been great if they were to launch the Sport but if not that at the very least they should have the 1.4K series and VGT 1.3 DDIS. They should have had the Sports bumpers too. Then there would have been 'some show and some go' and i am sure it would have created some excitement around the brand

I suppose there is no point in wishing because Maruti will be Maruti and they will just not change their ways and i see they becoming more and more lax in many respects over the last few years. I hope it doesn't become too late before they realise the ground slipping under their feet
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:00   #26
BHPian

All the cars from the stable are ready to be given a sticker job and tagged as "LIMITED EDITION". MSIL is not listening.
Body Kit and a different paint Job for 24,500! It would be cheap if done outside as well. This is taking an unaware customer for a ride.

I see some pictures of the Eurospec Swift Sport on this thread. That would be an awesome and a true Limited Edition for the Indian market. And, it might sell well too.
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:05   #27
BHPian

Maruti has been going overboard with these limited edition models.IIRC,this is atleast the 4th limited-ed car in 2013.
I think they are launching these just to stay in the news as they do not have any new cars for 2013 and maybe till mid 2014.But,they should have put some thoughts to these cars by introducing something significant instead of chrome badges,stickers,ugly paint jobs etc.
Marauder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:22   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
Suzuki would never bring the european swift sport to india because they just don't intend to target the enthusiastic groups. Name one car in suzuki's stable currently in India thats an enthusiastic car. All it makes in india are metal cabins with 4 doors, one boot and an engine that pulls it. If you want safety, add a lakh or maybe 2.
They tried that once - with the Kizashi. All of know how that panned out. Though it must be said they priced themselves out of the market.

Thing is their vehicles arent cheap - A swift isn't exactly a bargain when compared to a loaded i20. If they were to introduce a proper Swift Sport, it would expose how barebones the current swift is. Neither would the new car come cheap, meaning no takers for the vehicle. There's just no point.

Dont expect a real RS Swift. Its a Limited Edition Maruti, expect a sticker job.
Recompose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:30   #29
BHPian

It's just sad to see them launch this new paint job with the RS moniker. Changing the looks doesn't make a normal car into a RS. I see this as a lowly attempt by Maruti to bump up sales.
I also predict a new Swift coming soon. Pehaps August.. Anyone remembers Wagon R Primea? 2 months after they launched it they replaced the model with the new look Wagon R! Expecting the same treatment for the Swift..
rlvl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:42   #30
BHPian

I guess this is more to force a future Swift/i20 buyer to pre-pone their buying decision than anything else - If I am not wrong Maruti Suzuki's June figure was around 13% down and July doesn't look too bright either. Someone who is not exactly an auto-freak might just be tempted by "If you book now you would get this limited edition for a small premium". They had recently introduced a limited edition Ritz as well. Its all about the numbers , after all.

Most Viewed